Start by marking “Dit feest heeft lang genoeg geduurd” as Want to Read:
Dit feest heeft lang genoeg geduurd

Dit feest heeft lang genoeg geduurd

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  162 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Wanneer Rupert Thomson op een warme, zonnige dag in juli 1964 terugkeert van school krijgt hij te horen dat zijn moeder plotseling is overleden. Twintig jaar later wordt Thomson verteld dat zijn vader, die een chronische longkwaal had opgelopen in de Tweede Wereldoorlog, in het ziekenhuis is gestorven. Met zijn twee broers trekt hij in het huis van hun vader om samen hun v ...more
Published September 2010 by De Boekerij (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dit feest heeft lang genoeg geduurd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dit feest heeft lang genoeg geduurd

Lucy Baldock
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rupert Thomson has a talent for dramatisation, he manages to describe and poetically tell the simplest of scenes and conversations in a unique way. I liked his writing style and I found the story quite intriguing considering the odd characters and events in this book. I did read this for my Uni course it's not something I would normally pick up and read but I enjoyed it despite that. I think it could have been cut down a little bit too but it was a good read.
Iain Rowan
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Party's Got To Stop shares the cool, spare prose of Thomson's novels, but also their sense of unease and at times almost hallucinatory clarity. Thomson turns this on an examination of parts of his life, and the lives of his siblings, in this memoir.

It's not an autobiography. The book starts with the death of his mother when Thomson was young, but then jumps forward years to the death of his father. Thomson returns from Berlin to the family house in Eastbourne, and ends up living in the hous
Barnaby Haszard Morris
It strikes me that 'close to the bone' is a most efficient phrase for summing up Thomson's appeal as a writer. He cuts deep and hews as close to the truth as he can get. And never more so than here, when it would have been so easy to selectively edit the past and deliver a version that suited him. Who knows, maybe he did? But I doubt it. It just doesn't seem like something he would do.

And in getting close to the bone, he releases truths -- unburdens himself of them by homing in and digging them
Lane Anderson
Rupert Thomson has an incredible talent in the craft of writing. He describes scenes - people - action - moments in creative, unique ways that conjure lucid images in your mind as you read. It was a pleasure to read just for the experience of marveling at this skill.

However, beyond the craft, the novel felt like it lacked a sense of cohesive direction. Each chapter seems jump into a different location and different time without a lot of clarity. The chapters could almost stand alone as short sto
Nansi
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who have read his unique fiction and who enjoy well written memoirs.
Parts of this well written memoir were so intimate I felt that we shouldn't be reading it-it was too personal and emotive. Having said that there are also wonderfully funny episodes that will stay with me and made me laugh out loud eg when they have large smokey bonfires its actually a helicopter thats crashed.. and this happens frequently! It is a very vivid portrayal of a family dealing with death in their own way.
Phil Whitaker
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging, funny, poignant - an investigation by Thomson into the forces that shaped his childhood years, and the repercussions that have played out among his family for decades. As a great fan of his fiction, this was a doubly interesting insight into some of the themes he explores in his brilliant novels.
Kirsti
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was a reflective memoir of the period around the author's father's death. It examines the relationship that the writer had with his adult brothers at the time. I enjoyed the book but I felt a little dissatisfied with the ending. I understand that this was a reflective memoir but I was wanting a little more from travelling through this experience with the writer.
Lisa Dempster
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reading
Dark and haunting family memoir.
Beautifully written: compelling reading.
Essy Esots
Oct 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perceptive, funny and brought back memories of losing my father slowly be degrees.
I got my local library to purchase this!
Elsie
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really remarkable memoir, strange and sad and beautifully described.
Tim Wright
Dec 15, 2011
Neil
Jan 22, 2017
Lucia
rated it did not like it
Oct 04, 2017
  • Cross Dressed to Kill
  • The Eye of the Storm
  • There Comes a Prophet
  • Palliser Novels
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • The French Sultana (The Veil and the Crown, #2)
  • Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 1: The Grocer's Daughter
  • The Sculptors of Mapungubwe
  • The Iron Wire
  • Things We Didn't See Coming
  • Deadly Secret of the Lusitania
  • No! I Don't Need Reading Glasses!
  • Cry of the Fish Eagle
  • My Policeman
  • Killing the Black Dog
  • The Power of the Sea: Tsunamis, Storm Surges, Rogue Waves, and Our Quest to Predict Disasters
  • נוילנד