Start by marking “You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey” as Want to Read:
You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey

You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Miss Malarkey has always been a team player. That's why she's been recruited to be one of the coaches for the new soccer league. While her motto is, "Let's have fun!" the parents have other goals in mind. Forget sportsmanship and doing your best, winning is everything to these grown-ups. It's up to Miss Malarkey to set the spectators straight.
Published August 1st 2004 by Walker Childrens (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey

Libby Erwood
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey by Judy Fincher and Kevin O'Malley follows a young elementary school's soccer team in their quest of a season. Having to deal with opposing coaching viewpoints, parents involvement and just playing the game, I thought this book was a fun read and the pictures were one of my favorite aspects. Each page is very descriptive, whether its describing situations or individuals, it is fun to pick out who you think is who based on the content. I like how this book showe ...more
Ann Marie Olson
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Grade level: 2nd/3rd grade

I really liked this book because it is different than many children's books I have read so far. This book is full of humor, which even made me laugh out loud. I am sure children would think this book is hilarious because many can probably relate to it. This book is about an elementary soccer team who was having some coaching issues, until they got a new coach, Miss Malarkey. Miss Malarkey did not know much about soccer, but she knew that the players needed to have fun.
Anna Lawrence
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed reading this book. It was definitely not one of my favorites, but it had a good plot line and I liked the moral of the story which was good sportsmanship. There was a lot going on, on a lot of the pages so the author and illustrator had a good use of space, but for me personally it was a little bit too busy. My favorite part at the end of the book was when Miss Malarkey gave all of the parents in the stands lollipops to get them to stop shouting.

Purposes:
-K-2nd grad
Anna Dipprey
This story is great for teaching sportsmanship and respect. I found it relatable because I remember the parents at my soccer games were more vocal than the coaches. I think this book also helps promote playing sports. The students in the book were talking about how much fun they were having, and I think it would help students be more active.

Purpose
Read aloud for enrichment:
I think many students can relate to this book on a couple levels. Any students that like soccer or team sports will be able
Jen
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-kidlit
Miss Malarkey is at it again...this time offering a rational response to societal over-competitiveness. Adults will likely find this story more humorous than children will, but students do identify with the difference between the two oppositional perspectives in play throughout the story: "do your best and have fun" vs. "play to win."

Interestingly, as I read this story with children ranging from JK through grade 3, the older children increasingly began to articulate the belief that playing for
Dolly
Mar 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a good book that helps to remind children (and especially parents) how to be good sports on (and off) the playing fields. The humor is somewhat subtle; I love that there is a parent who states that they make picture books and another parent responds with, "And they pay you for this?" The dialogue makes it a bit more cumbersome to read aloud, but it's still a very good book and we enjoyed reading it together and discussing how it's much more fun to play when the parents are well-behaved. ...more
Becky Carleton
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Miss Malarkey and her ilk, teaching kids that the important thing when playing games is to have fun. I could totally relate to this story. When no one else volunteered, I stepped up to coach my daughter's third grade basketball team, despite the fact that I hadn't played basketball in twenty years and I had never coached. Needless to say, our team came in last place for the season, but we sure had fun.
Deborah Morgan
Jul 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Can't pass up a Miss Malarky book and I hadn't read this one.
Tracy Morton
Oct 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lots of captions so not a great story for read aloud but cute one on one
Carole
The teacher Miss Malarkey is the new coach for soccer. She wants the kids just to have fun playing; the parents are continously yelling for the team to win.
Christine
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Entertaining story about sportsmanship and the pressure adults can put on their little athletes.
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: ar-2, a30
AR Quiz No. 64194 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.9 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Heather
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Soccer, and parents behaving REALLY badly.
Shelby Shaffer