Start by marking “If You Lived In Colonial Times” as Want to Read:
If You Lived In Colonial Times

If You Lived In Colonial Times (...If You)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  265 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews

If you lived in colonial times
--What kind of clothes would you wear?
--Would you go to school?
--What would happen if you didn't behave?

This book tells you what it was like to live in the New England colonies during the years 1565 to 1776.
Published May 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1964)

Anne White
This was on our free-reading shelf during elementary school. Being Canadian children, we had little idea of what "Colonial Times" might be, but figured it must be something like "Pioneer Days."

The illustrations were memorable, anyway.
Becky
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017reviews
First sentence: When were Colonial times? Colonial times were a long time ago.

Premise/plot: Interested in reading about what the New England states were like during the years 1620-1730? This early reader is for you. It is written almost exclusively in question and answer format. Sometimes questions are answered on one page, sometimes questions are answered on two pages. Whether the answer is short or long, the answer tends to be interesting and engaging.

My thoughts: This was one of the first n
Lara Lleverino
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julia thought this books taught her a lot about colonial times. She will never forget that children in colonial days drank beer!
Christina
Found this in a used bookstore for a quarter. Good overview of Colonial times, covering 1630-1730 in the New England colonies (PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME). The book is structured in Q&A style, with a question and answers covering 1 to 3 pages, along with color illustrations. It covers everything form clothes and food, to school and church, and travel and communication.
I did learn a few things reading through, and though originally written in 1964, I think this is still a good book fo
Stacy M. Patton
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
I thought this book was excellent! I read this to my son (8 yrs old / 3rd grade), Camden as extra reading because we are studying early American history. I found it to be a wonderful addition to our study! I learned so much myself. This book does a wonderful job covering all aspects of early colonial life in a clear, east to read and understand way! My son gave it five stars! He loved it so much that when we finished it, he said he wanted to read it again!
April
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Mom, I bet you didn't know that back in Colonial times, if a wife talked back to her husband....she got dunked!" Bwwahahahahahaha..... I really, really wish I knew what she was picturing! Fun facts and tid-bits about colonial life!
Sarah Harmon
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
If You Lived In Colonial Times is such an interesting book that really has a lot of fun information. This book talks about pretty much everything that you would do if you lived in Colonial times. From eating, dressing, going to school, medicine, church, farming, making clothes, different jobs, etc...It talks about the Revolutionary War as well.
I really do love this book. Its a little long, but I think it has a ton of information that would be good for people to know about. It has cool illustrati
Angela Hutchinson

In this book, students will learn about how people lived, dressed, and acted during the colonial times. The book listed several different trades that people during that time had to do to survive. People made their own clothes and furniture too. Times were difficult because the people were new to the land and the things that were not imported had to be made or grown. This book asks numerous questions and it gives the answer to the questions. This would be a good book to read to the students, and
Alyssa
Nov 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I just finished reading the book If You Lived In Colonial Times by Ann McGovern like if you lived in one of the New England colonies during the years between 1565 and 1776. this book is in a great question and answer format it helps you to understand what more specific aspects of these times were and how they lived thought all the hard ships of creating a town/home that was safe and had a bounty of resources necessary to live during the colonial times. I enjoyed reading this book and learning m ...more
Sabrina
Oct 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
So it's the first snow fall of the winter season . . .10"s or so, lost power for 2 days.

This book was the perfect thing to read to my boys during our night of no electricity, warming by the fireplace and reading by candle light.

I loved the question and answer format and thought the book could have gone on for a bit longer.

My son was cracking up over some of the laws (kind of a scary funny) and wanted to know who the heck created them and why?! And I think he asked me WHAT?! several times through
  • If You Lived At The Time Of The American Revolution
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Will You Sign Here, John Hancock?
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an American Colonist!: A Settlement You'd Rather Not Start
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • The True Story of Pocahontas (Step Into Reading, Step 3)
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • Squanto and the Miracle of Thanksgiving
  • Columbus
  • The Story Of Thomas Alva Edison
  • Letting Swift River Go

...If You (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • If You Lived In Williamsburg in Colonial Days
  • If You Lived With The Cherokee (...If You)
  • If You Lived With The Sioux Indians