Start by marking “Spirit of the Titanic” as Want to Read:
Spirit of the Titanic

Spirit of the Titanic

Fifteen-year-old Sam plunges to his death whilst building his beloved Titanic. Now as the greatest ship the world has ever seen crosses the Atlantic, Sam finds himself on board - as a ghost.
Published December 31st 2011 by O'Brien Press (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Spirit of the Titanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spirit of the Titanic

Lisa Redmond
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
There are many books about the Titanic but this book is unique in that it takes as it’s starting point not 14th April 1912 but 20th April 1910 because that was when Titanic claimed it’s first victim Samuel Joseph Scott a fifteen year old boy who worked on the ship at the Harland and Wolff shipyard. Samuel roams the ship as a ghost, witness to the glamour of first class and the hard work below decks. The book features a cast of both real and imagined characters including Frederick Fleet; the youn ...more
Michelle
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was well written and very informative for young children to learn about the Titanic disaster. The cover is also haunting, it depicts the sinking of the Titanic but there is also the ghostly image of Sam (lead character), imposed over the top, and your eyes are immediately drawn to him. All this is surrounded by a detailed filigree and flowery border, which is quite striking for a young adult book. And the story is different to any fictional account of ...more
Nicola Mcfall
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I saw this book sitting on the self in the shop I felt automatically drawn to it. The cover was really pretty and after reading the back I just knew that this was something I would have broken my neck to have when I was a kid…..and as an adult I wanted it pretty badly too so spoiled myself. I wasn’t disappointed – it’s a delight of a wee book. Based on mixture of real and fictional people who find themselves all together on the Titanic. The story is told by the ghost of 15 year old Samuel, ...more
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was chosen for the "One Book, One Wexford" literacy program. Students from the area schools are reading the book and learning about the Titanic. The community at large is also being asked to read the book and participate in book chats.

This is a YA book and I think suited to ages 10+. I started reading it to Seth but I felt he was a bit too young for the emotional issues raised in the book. So instead I've been looking up old photos of the Titanic and showing that stuff to him.

Charlotte
I don't usually read Young Adult fiction, but this caught my eye when browsing. I am hugely interested in the whole Titanic story, and this was a well-written and original retelling of the tragedy, with enough to it to entertain adult readers as well. As far as I could remember, most of the drama drawn from "real" characters and events were accurate to what is known about them, though I did notice that one character's name was changed - for what reason, I do not know. All in all, a good addition ...more
Jan
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I probably wouldnt have bought this book as it is for children, but it was given to me by a friend who said she enjoyed it and as there is so much talk at the moment about the opening of the museum in Belfast I decided to read it. I really enjoyed the idea of the young man who died in the shipyard, sailing on the titanic as a ghost and his observations and thoughts on the people aboard and the crew and also the relationship between himand his parents, all in all a lovely read.
Lesley McCullough
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A lovely gentle read. Beautifully understated writing re-telling the Titanic story but from a slightly different perspective, that of the ghost of Samuel a fifteen year old boy. An emotional, descriptive and engrossing read.
Marie Boland
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best Titanic read & must be added to the Titanic reading list.
Brilliant read for older kids, teens & adults. Brilliant story and very very well crafted
Squeakerkelly
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was very well done. I liked the mix of fact, fiction, emotion and hope. I think any child with an interest in history will thoroughly enjoy this story.
Sara Pauff
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Excellent and well-researched YA novel about the Titanic disaster. I'd recommend it to any kid who is a fan of historical fiction.
Lucy
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were many things I enjoyed and liked about this book, having been to Northern Ireland myself and visited the Titanic Quarter and finding it absolutely fascinating, this book was right up my street. This was quite clearly a children's book and though I'm an adult, I thoroughly enjoyed this book, despite it's allocated age range.

What is different about this book is that it starts in the year of 1910, which is really refreshing as most books are around 1912, the famous sinking year. So, I th
Kathryn
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely book for 5th and 6th class and upwards, gives great historical setting and perspective!
Sophie
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
this was laneled as a childrens book, but I wouldnt dream of giving this to a child! I loved this book, it was so human and moving. Everything that was described was done tastefully and was utterly heartbreaking. I wasnt expecting such a tear jerker, but by chest felt hollowed out after all the emotion this epic little "childrens book" put me through. Surely this should be a more well known book, especially consideting it contains so much grief surrounding one of the most well documented disaste ...more
Varsha Seshan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked up Spirit of the Titanic very curious about what it had in store for me. The Titanic has been read about and watched in so much detail; how would this be different?

Linda
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was nicely written and it created an atmosphere while I read the book. Also, I was very attached to all of the characters in the end because of the great writing style. This book made me want to read more books by this author.
Cathal Crowley
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it
NO SPOILERS.Good book about a ghost onboard titanic maiden voyage. Easy read tool a day and a half to read, about 6-7 hours. I would rate it 3.7/5.
Lauren Redmond
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice historical YA novel with an appealing twist in which the disaster of the Titanic is told through the eyes of a ghost boy whose life was claimed during the ships’ construction.
Michael
Sima Özkan Yıldırım
May 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Tallaght-born Nicola Pierce lives in Drogheda, Ireland. Following her many
successful ghostwritten books for adults, Nicola published her first
book for children, Spirit of the Titanic. The book received rave reviews, and ran to five printings within its first twelve months. City of Fate is
her second book for children and transports the reader deep into the
Russian city of Stalingrad during World War