Start by marking “Truth” as Want to Read:
Truth

Truth

This is a haunting tale of Sojourner Truth, born Isabella, a slave to Dutch farmers in upstate New York. The life of of one of the greatest American heroes is captured in fiction. While logic would dictate that life under the iron fist of slavery would be enough to shatter the spirit of a young girl, Sojourner struggles to maintain her dignity despite all odds, despite the ...more
Published July 29th 2003 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Truth

Start your review of Truth
Shelia
Nov 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
What an interesting story! Part non-fiction as it is based on the life story of Sojourner Truth, who was a slave, author, abolitionist. It made me what to read more about her although I usually stick to fiction.
Fav Quotes: "Mr. Dumont hooked his fingers into his suspenders. "One prays to God. One does not talk to God as if He were a neighbor. If you were able to understand the Bible, you would know how queer an idea it is you have."
The thing about stories of famous people, they are very imperfec
Julie
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I have a soft spot for those who have struggled through abuse and misuse. Slavery truly was one of the greatest abominations this country has ever participated in. It is shocking to me the incredibly cruelty it could bring out in people. Slaves, Native Americans, those put in concentration camps in this country during World War II, there are so many who deserve so much better than they have received at the white mans hands.
Anna Biton
Jan 17, 2008 rated it liked it
a fictional telling of the life of Sojourner Truth. Very interesting to learn more about her and her life. The author clearly did a lot of research about her, as well as slavery in NY state in the 1800s and the abolitionist movements and utopian society in Western MA.
It took me a little while to get into but then it picked up. I'm not clear on how much artistic license the author took with the story but I'm sure she got the basics right...
Megalion
Amazing well-researched book. The author did an excellent job in using historical record to weave a more thorough narrative of the trials and tribulations that Sojurner Truth likely endured.

I came to this after having read a contemporary chick-lit book and another that dips into the scifi realm with time travel. I was not expecting to find an amazing book about a very real important person in us history. Especially as the author's debut novel!!
Allison Long
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
'Truth' is an imagining of Sojourner Truth's childhood and life. I admit that I knew little past what our school history books taught me. As I found out, I knew very, very little. Though this novel is fiction, it still covers actual events, which leads the reader to want to know more and to delve deeper into history. 'Truth' is a quick read, but this does not diminish its story.
Mary
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Pretty good reconstruction of the life of Sojourner Truth. It lagged in the part about joining with the prophet. The chapters on her childhood were well done - you really got a picture of what it was like for her.
Abby
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: others by the author
This book was very good, but hard to read. A very intense, fictionalized, look at the life of Sojurner Truth and the horrid life of slavery that she went through. This is a book that makes me both proud and ashamed to be an American. Read this book, but be prepared.
Sue
Jan 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
This was an extremely boring book. The hum drum daily activities of a slave in New York. I would not recommend.
Laurie
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Very good novel about Sojouner Truth who escaped slavery and went on the become advocate for abolitionists and womens rights.
Maggielynnanna
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart-rending. True.
Leslie
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reading this one now - love it so far
Mary Follis
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sojourner was born Isabella Baumfree in 1797; this book imagines her life. Good book, leaves me wanting more information. Sojourner's grave is in nearby Battle Creek--I believe I'll go visit.
Laurie
Feb 25, 2015
Keshun
Aug 02, 2016
Jacqueline Sheehan
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tall-poppy-books
Jan 05, 2019
Cassandra Martin
Nov 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Let the Circle Be Unbroken (Logans, #5)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • The Land (Logans, #1)
  • The Eye of the Elephant: An Epic Adventure in the African Wilderness
  • The Good Earth (House of Earth, #1)
Jacqueline Sheehan, Ph.D., is a fiction writer and essayist. She is also a practicing psychologist. She is a New Englander through and through, but spent twenty years living in the western states of Oregon, California, and New Mexico doing a variety of things, including house painting, freelance photography, newspaper writing, clerking in a health food store, and directing a traveling troupe of hi ...more