Start by marking “Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat” as Want to Read:
Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat

Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat

Got fur balls?

Are your favorite sweaters covered with cat hair? Do you love to make quirky and one-of-a-kind crafting projects? If so, then it’s time to throw away your lint roller and curl up with your kitty! Crafting with Cat Hair shows readers how to transform stray clumps of fur into soft and adorable handicrafts. From kitty tote bags and finger puppets to fluf
Published October 11th 2011 by Quirk Books (first published February 16th 2009)

Start your review of Crafting with Cat Hair: Cute Handicrafts to Make with Your Cat
karen
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafties, kittehs
i have been sick in bed with some kind of dickensian wasting disease for the past FIVE DAYS., so i am way behind on everything i need to do. but just before i contracted the virus that will probably end the world, i made this list, so i attach it to this old review, for enjoyment and holiday helpering:

are you kidding me?

da AL
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about 'think outside the (cat) box'! Now I know what to do with cat hair. Adorableness! ...
Eyehavenofilter
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Why do I bother? nobody reads these but i soldier on...I THINK this book was written in all seriousness. After all the author IS Japanese and they are an incredibly crafty folk....no I am not being judgmental or racist! So shut up! I happen to love Origami. Anyway..... I've always wondered WHAT THE HELL,I could do with the kilos of cat hair that I collect off my kitties every month besides knit myself a "car-cozy".
Now I know! I can make the cutest little cat puppets in the world, or felt little kitti
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was once suggested jokingly for our next read at an Interrobang Book Club meetup, and it's made some occasional subsequent appearances on the ballot, though it's never won the vote. It would definitely meet the "unique and unusual" criteria! Anyway, today I saw it in the Sunnyvale Public Library, and I figured I had to at least skim through it, even though I don't own a cat or even know anybody in close proximity who does. It's perhaps not quite as crazy as you'd think; the basic premi ...more
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
I know a lot of people -- even fiber enthusiasts -- who are squicked by the idea of using cat or dog fur in projects. I've never really understood why -- what makes fur from a cat or a dog so fundamentally different than hair from a sheep (wool) or from a goat (cashmere) or from a rabbit (angora)? Certainly cat and dog fur isn't as well-suited to most crafting endeavors as these other fibers, but I've never heard an objection due to the utility of the fiber -- it's always emotional in nature. St ...more
Anna
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, apl
Wait, there's a book about crafting with your cat hair? Awesome.
The book was originally in Japanese, and it has retained the cuteness present in Japanese thru the translation, and of course the pictures and illustrations are cute too (ever seen a book in Japanese that wasn't cute? Me neither).
Most of the projects are with felting techniques. These are presented well with details, so they suit people who've never tried any kind of felting before.
Good techniques - now if only I g
Marjorie Dawson
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a delight for crafters and cat lovers. It's unique slant of using your cat hair to craft might strike some as odd but the books is so well put together, clean, neat and tidy that you love it at once.

It is a delicate combination of graceful advice and fun simple crafts that are accessible and achievable by most people There are brushing and cat care tips as well as inventive and cute little projects like necklaces, brooches and little bags all well laid out and easy to understand. I
Shala Kerrigan
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
Crafting With Cat Hair : Cute Handicrafts to With Your Cat by Kaori Tsutaya and translated by Amy Hirschman is written by the author of a popular site, and is Japanese craft style in a very feline way. Using the soft hair you brush from your cat as well as store bought wool felt, you create projects for your home and as accessories for yourself.

Just so you know, I'm a cat lover since I was a kid. My very first pet in fact was a parakeet. I named my 'keet Pretty Kitty just to make sur
David
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc
Got this for my mom, since she (at least at one point) collects brushed-out cat hair in a large zip lock bag. It contains detailed instructions and the list of supplies you'll need (including cat) to create cat fur crafts, such as Kindle covers. The book is serious about its cat crafts, and it looks like they all should work as described. That doesn't keep it from being funny: "When crafting with your cat, it is important to remove hair only by gentle brushing. Do not shave your cat."

Here's a sample page:

Here's a sample page:

sample img from book
Heidi
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I found this book at one of our local libraries and HAD to get it. Was this book for real? Yes. It was indeed. The author instructs you how to gather cat hair from your cat, keep it free from pests and odors and turn it into "cute" handicrafts. I am a cat lover. Currently I live in a home with five cats (two are mine) so a supply of cat hair would certainly not be an issue for me. Still, I can't bring myself to make any of these handicrafts. Mostly this book was amusing and I had a lot of fun sh ...more
Marybeth
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I was hoping that I could make my fortune with cat hair crafting, as I have two cats, one of whom is long-haired. But I don't think so. It is a cute little book, though, especially for cat-lovers. This book is unintentionally funny with many admonitions that end with the phrase "is not how a good owner should behave." I would have to be much more dedicated to the craft of felting to pursue this activity. I'll stick with wool.
Molly
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to-books
Loooove it! Come on, how is cat hair any weirder than sheep hair? Yeah, my parents haven't been able to answer that any better than with a nervous laugh when I've said it, either. Anyway. It's really more about embellishing felt crafts with felted cat hair, less of making physical things with the hair. It's fairly fragile. But I love the idea, I love the Japanese, and I was positively delighted that my library bought this. And yes, I have a box full of harvested cat hair going.
Andrew
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-games
Kinda gross! Kinda cool!
Danielle
Oct 28, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: just-fun
Too funny. I need about a dozen of these, so I can give them to all my cat loving friends.
Margaret
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
Adorkable! I found this book at my library's bookshop for 50 cents. Like new! Obviously its previous owner did not appreciate it as much as I do. Brush your cat and make a finger puppet today!
Malia
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Initally this is hilarious
And I didn't think I can collect that much fur to make anything. Trying during shefding season.
Stephanie Dagg
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You might be tempted to say "eeuuw" when you see the title of this book, but don't! It's a fabulous, hands-on crafting book with well explained, various projects of little items you can make from hair from your beloved (or otherwise) kitty. You won't have to shave it bare - the projects only require small amounts that you can obtain from brushing or a little judicious snipping if you have a long-haired cat. They're felting projects and could be carried out using other animal hair or wool rovings ...more
Sara
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book shows you how to felt items with cat hair. Some cute ideas but no "real" crafts - except for the cat finger puppets, it's just embellishments. Especially not useful for me, since someone I live with is full of cat allergies.
The REAL reason to read this book is for all the adorable Japanese cats. And when I say adorable, I mean ADORABLE. This whole book is adorable, as is the writing.

UPDATE: Just got this again to flip through because I couldn't remember if I'd actuall
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is really cute, and greatly exceeded my expectations! (Yes, it is written in seriousness, though the tone is lighthearted--I get that a lot of people find the subject too strange, but I'm pretty strange myself. ^_^) I expected to learn patterns and techniques, but I also learned new-to-me information about cats, felting, and Japan. . . three subjects I thought I knew a lot about already! The crafts are really adorable (to me), and the author obviously really cares about and advocates f ...more
Carol Harlow
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you love your cat? Well Quirk Books has another great how to book out that tells you step by step how to make some great little projects with a little help from your cat! I know, how clever is that! This book will walk you through step by step to make Book Covers, Portraits, finger puppets, cat toys and even tote bags all with a little fur from your cat. These crafts will surely be one of a kind treasures. Just think, all of these projects are eco~friendly!
Jenni
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafty
Ok, I admit it, I rented this ironically, fully intending to read it and make fun of it... but it was actually really cute and not nearly as ridiculous as the title might imply. For the most part, the suggested crafts are all small cat shapes made from one typical bundle of discarded hair during brushing/grooming. It seemed really reasonable, if not recycle-y, and the results were more than adorable -- no different than felted wool, truly.
Anna
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I'll ever make any of these crafts, but it was fun to see all the ideas the author had for using cat hair! I found this book to be very humorous, but I'm still not sure if that was intentional or unintentional. The common-sense cat care tips sprinkled throughout the book added to my enjoyment--don't shave your cat! Don't brush your cat too much! Watch out for fleas!

Okay, maybe I'll try making a cat hair finger puppet one of these days.
Linda
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to that this is a different crafting idea than I had ever read about. After thinking about it I decided cat hair is no different than using any other animal hair. There are some cute ideas for crafting as well as some good information on taking care of your cat. If you are looking for something a bit different in crafting this book may be just what you are looking for.
Helene
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got a newsletter from bookdepository recommending some books on quicky crafts - and this title popped up. Well, now all my christmas shopping is over and done with. Neighbourhood cats beware my shaving equipment...

Thank you Karen for a great review of this book, it is a long time since I laughed so hard..
Breanna
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: hobby
Yep, buying this made me a crazy cat woman. The little crafts are so cute though! I am currently saving up some kitty fur to make some stuff. I'm thinking all of my cats could use a good bath and brush ;) May as well use the fur that gets all over the house...
Kathy
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Saw this at the bookstore yesterday...the perfect gift for the cat people in your life! Hilarious but also has some kinda cool crafts that could also be adapted for dog hair, bunny fur, or whatever other kind of fur inhabits your home.
Miss Jessica
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft
Using the cat hair really isn't as gross as it initially sounds. The problem with this book is that it's really the same craft--a cute, furry cat shape--applied to different objects. A scarf, a hat, a picture frame, a box. Not enough ideas. But, of course the cats are adorable.
Dash Zacarías
Feb 02, 2017 is currently reading it
I think that.... could be the best book...
Denise Kruse
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Something to do with my cat's fur! The projects are adorable and the instructions are clear. Love it!
Tamara
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Surprisingly more charming than creepy.

The warning regarding these crafts not being appropriate for people with allergies seemed a little more than silly.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Big Clock
  • The Leisure Seeker
  • North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both
  • The Illusion of Money: How Chasing Money Is Stopping You from Living
  • Quiver
  • Immigrant Girl, Radical Woman: A Memoir from the Early Twentieth Century
  • My Fundamentalist Education: A Memoir of a Divine Girlhood
  • Song of a Captive Bird
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Women & Money
  • The Cheapskate Next Door: The Surprising Secrets of Americans Living Happily Below Their Means
  • Them: Why We Hate Each Other - and How to Heal