Start by marking “The Shattering” as Want to Read:
The Shattering

The Shattering

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  1,285 Ratings  ·  259 Reviews
"If you want to find out who murdered your brother, follow me."

Keri, Janna, and Sione have one thing in common: Their older brothers are dead. Each death was ruled a suicide, but there were no notes, no warnings, and no explanations.

So they've worked out a theory: Their brothers were murdered - and weren't the only victims.

As the search for the serial killer goes on, myste
Published September 5th 2011 by Little, Brown and Company (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shattering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shattering

Juliet
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved Karen Healey's Guardian of the Dead for its strong female protagonist, its use of Maori mythology and its authentic New Zealand setting. The Shattering is a less substantial novel. It's a supernatural thriller, based on the efforts of a trio of teenagers to prove that their elder brothers' deaths were not suicide, but murders by a serial killer. Keri, Janna and Sione are interesting, wel-rounded characters (the story is mainly Keri's but chapters aternate between the three points of view ...more
Sesana
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
The plot itself is a bit cheesy, of the "small town with a secret" persuasion. A bit Wicker Man. But there is a lot to like. There's a likable cast of characters, and appreciate that the three main characters are processing similar griefs differently. I like the slight twist at the end, even if I did see it coming in advance, and I like that there are lasting effects for everyone involved. There's enough detail here to keep this from being interchangeable D list horror, but a healthy appreciatio ...more
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an author to watch out for - her first book, Guardians of the Dead, a retelling of what I think were Maori myths (certainly no myths/stories that I'd grown up with) was a great read, and this one shows she's getting better at her craft.

Again the setting is New Zealand, so while there is some familiarity there's just enough difference from other white/native-or-minority books (I'm thinking of all the Hispanic characters I've met in books set in the American SouthWest/West). She doesn't be
Kat Heckenbach
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
The writing itself is good and the voices of the three different POV characters were distinctive and appropriately teenagery. I really liked Keri and Janna. Keri is smart and strong, and Janna is cool and fun (and not nearly as shallow as she thinks she is). And I thought it was interesting that the author chose to write Keri's chapters in first person but Janna's and Sione's chapters in third person. (You might have noticed that I didn't mention I liked Sione. I wanted to--really I did. But he ...more
Steph Su
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I was lukewarm on Karen Healey’s award-winning debut novel, Guardian of the Dead, but after reading THE SHATTERING’s eerie and absorbing first chapter, I was willing to give her books a second try. Unfortunately, THE SHATTERING just confirmed what I was already worried about: that there is something “off” with either me or with Healey’s writing, resulting in a disconnect between her stories and me.

As I mentioned, THE SHATTERING starts off strong. The cast of characters is diverse, and each main
Angela Oliver
I highly enjoyed this teenage drama/mystery with a supernatural edge. The town of Summerton had me enchanted from the start - a West Coast town where it doesn't rain? Certainly, there did seem something suspicious about it. It may be a fictitious place, but it reminded me rather of the small NZ country township where I grew up, Golden Bay. The characters are well developed, and showcase the ethnic diversity of New Zealand without any of them being a cliche. Healey develops her characters caringl ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on The Book Smugglers HERE

Review:

First Impressions:

Ana: Karen Healey’s first book, Guardian of the Dead, took me entirely by surprise last year and it even made its way to my top 10 of 2010. I had been waiting for her sophomore novel ever since and it is with great relief that I say that The Shattering is yet another great book following up on the steps of GoD and featuring an incredible cast of diverse, three dimensional characters who carry the story through with aplomb. I lo
Disability in Kidlit
"I expected that that anxiety would have a stronger influence on her character and the plot; it’s actually fairly peripheral. My concern with this fact is that it would be easy to dismiss Keri’s concerns as her simply “worrying too much” or needing to “lighten up”—admonitions that anyone with anxiety will recognize as dismissive and hurtful. By relegating Keri’s mental illness to the background, Healey potentially minimizes the overwhelming effects that anxiety can have on a sufferer.

However, on
Paige
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Last year I read Karen Healey’s debut novel, Guardian of the Dead (which may be known in some circles as “that cover with the creepy eye mask thing”, those circles being my sister and I), and really enjoyed it for its unique combinations of mystery and mythology. Her second novel, The Shattering was one I eagerly anticipated and I’m glad to say it met up to my expectations.

The novel once again takes place in New Zealand, Healey’s forte it seems as well as where she lives. Keri, Janna, and Si
Brin
Karen Healey's The Shattering was a gripping paranormal thriller that I just could not put down. The story was involving and the characters very authentic and relatable.

The novel focuses on three characters: Keri, Janna and Sione. These three teens have something terrible in common - their elder brothers all committed suicide. Keri's brother is the latest victim. After his death, Janna comes to Keri with the notion that it was not suicide after all - she believes that it was murder. Janna has b
Justin
Is this a story about teen suicide? A murder mystery? A dystopian parable? A paranormal tale about plucky young people holding off the forces of evil? A realistic take on coming out of the closet? Well… yes. The Shattering is undoubtedly an engaging read, but there’s a lot of competing themes to contend with.

The story opens with Keri, a Maori girl who has lived her entire life in the idyllic New Zealand seaside hamlet of Summerton. Her older brother Jake has recently committed suicide, leaving h
Tahlia Newland
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Like the best of speculative fiction, this refreshingly different young adult book beautifully illuminates reality and highlights truth, in this case, the nature of grieving for those left behind after the suicide of a loved one. ‘The Shattering’ also has an imaginative take on the term ‘magic’ when we apply it to a beautiful landscape.

Have you ever seen the glassy-eyed stare of a tourist as they stand bewitched by the beauty of a glittering bay? You may look at that stuporific stare a little di
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

A dark, intense book that blends reality and dark magic to create a story that is at times horrifying and other times relatable. The Shattering is a story that explores the lives of three teens from New Zealand whom are all coping with the loss of their older brothers who have supposedly died from committing suicide. I say supposedly, because that's what it's suppose to appear like, but for the teens who's siblings died, they know that's the furthest thing from the truth.

I liked that K
Ashelynn
Aug 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommend
This review is also posted on Gypsy Book Reviews

The Shattering was amazing. At first, from the summary, I thought it’d just be a book about murders (which I love, btw!), but it’s so much more. I’m awed at the amount of complexity this book packs together—suicide, murder, bullying, being gay, and magic.

Yeah, you heard that: there’s magic included in this book. And it’s not like waving wands or anything, but more Wicca magic. White magic and black magic and oh my god, so amazing.

What I really lo
Courtney Johnston
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed, fiction
I did not think that the middle of a black magic ceremony was an appropriate time to be pashing your boyfriend.

Summerton is a small, perfect town on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. It's untouched by the usual social problems - drugs, unemployment, crime. It never rains in the week from Christmas to New Year. It's a tourist magnet - even after the major attraction, a set of limestone shelves (shade of the Pinka nd White Terraces) was destroyed, busloads of tourists continue to roll
K.
Also reviewed on my Youtube channel.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this book. It seemed like a fairly standard YA crime novel, based on the blurb and the first few chapters. But what I got was a fabulous mixture of crime, thriller, contemporary, and fantasy/paranormal/something.

The story is set in a small town on the south island of New Zealand, and is split between three narrators who've just finished high school. Keri is half Maori and (view spoiler)
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
THE SHATTERING is an exciting and mysterious novel that will have your head spinning! The plot is creepy yet entertaining. It wasn't at all predictable and I had a hard time figuring out what exactly was going on. The characters all had their own stories and worked well together in trying to solve the supposed "suicides" of young men. The ending will leave you feeling perfectly satisfied, yet wanting more from Healey. She is a phenomenal writer and knows how to keep her readers interested.

We are
Melanie McCullough
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book that was just okay for me. It was good, I enjoyed it, but I can't sit here and tell you that it was the greatest thing ever and you should run right out and buy it. I'd be lying. And well, what good would that do anyone?

Let me start off by saying that it wasn't at all what I expected but that has nothing to do with my lack of enthusiasm. I wasn't familiar with the author's previous work and based on the synopsis I went in thinking this was going to be a straight-up mystery, which
Kat
The Shattering is about a 17 year old girl (Keri), who is grieving over her brothers death. Her best friend tries to tell her that he committed suicide because her brother died almost the same way. Janna tries her hardest to convince Keri that her brother wasn't murdered, that he committed suicide, so she brings her friend Sione over, who also lost her older brother to suicide. The three begin to find clues to all their deaths and soon realize that maybe it wasn't suicide. They soon find out th ...more
Raina
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Keri lives in an idyllic town on the coast of New Zealand. One day, her beloved brother commits suicide. Or does he? When an old friend suggests that maybe her brother was a victim of a serial killer, Keri begins investigating a pattern of death.

I am such a big fan of Karen Healey. I love that her stuff is set outside of amerika, I love that her characters don't fit in stereotypical boxes, I love that her mythologies aren't the same as most fantasies.

This could be called a thriller, this could
branewurms
Omg, this was awesome. I could barely put it down! And to throw in another cliche, for about the last quarter of the book, I was literally on the edge of my seat! Sort of bouncing up and down, like.

A little disappointed (although not surprised, as it made sense) that (view spoiler)
Elena
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have the same major criticism for this as I did for Karen Healey's previous book, Guardian of the Dead (which was nevertheless one of my favorites read that year): the build-up is too slow. The characters are introduced. The characters come together. Something is Going On. The protagonists investigate. The protagonists investigate. The protagonists investigate. One protagonist figures out part of the mystery, but the others don't buy it. And that's when the book really gets good, roughly halfw ...more
Sonu Shaji
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am so glad i picked up this book for my read! The title really did justice to the story. Literally shattered the concepts of cliche by its end :)
When i started reading it initially, I was skeptical. The story line seemed to follow the usual route of 3 people setting out to find out who did away with their brothers. I confess i found it rather monotonous, as if i could read it and at the same time think of something else too. But then, somehow, the story picked up steam. I found myself too abso
Angelique
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
The premise was really interesting, but I wasn't fond of the characters. Sione whined. Keri complained. Janna was slutty. Takeshi took up space. I was really interested in the story yet the character's petty thoughts and behavior made it hard to really root for them. There was a nice revival for them all at the end, turning their supposed weaknesses into strengths, plus a few unexpected twists. It still wasn't a great book, though, too many social issues that felt rushed (sexualiy, suicide, depr ...more
Lara
May 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this one right now, but I can't seem to push myself past the 50-page mark. I don't like any of the characters, and something about the abrupt way Janna tells Keri that her brother was murdered and something about the way Keri responds to that felt fake and forced and...somehow ridiculous. I felt like I couldn't take any of it seriously after that. But everyone else seems to be enjoying it, so...
Kara
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I started of really liking this story. I thought it was a crime-type mystery with three teens who had lost their older brothers searching for a murderer. And then, this book had an identity crisis and I stopped liking it and just got confused. The way the story is told is another reason for the confusion. One character is told from first person point of view (I,me, etc) and the other two are told from what I think is third person omnicient. I didn't like the mix.
Karina Halle
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 LOVED. Summerton reminded me of Punakaiki on steroids (although I tweeted the author and she said the fictional town is a combo of all West Coast towns. Anyway,I liked this better than Gaurdian of the Dead. Really compelling read with strong characters and that supernatural twist I love.

Review to come!
Teresa Raines
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
What began as a book about the grieving process ends up being a book about magic. It was a kind of weird mashup of ideas and doesn't combine very well. The story different because it takes place in New Zealand and has lots of local terminology included. If you read this you'll need to refer to the back of the book for definitions.
Narrelle
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, horror
I keep trying to make Goodreads let me give The Shattering 6 out of 5 stars with the power if my brain. The rating remains stubbornly limited to 5.

Please know, however, that this is an amazing book full of wonderful characters and a climax that's brilliant and sad and perfect.
Evelyn Weiner
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I honestly loved this book. It led on for awhile and toward the end of the book took an unexpected and heartbreaking turn.
Play Book Tag: The Shattering / Karen Healey. 3.5 stars 1 8 May 10, 2017 07:43PM
  • Circle Nine
  • Wonderland
  • Sister Mischief
  • Only Ever Always
  • Deviant
  • Days Like This
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • The Devil's Mixtape
  • Frost
  • Damage
  • The Paradise Trap
  • Angel Creek
Karen Healey writes books about tough girls with brains and interesting boys with secrets. She likes nail art, superheroes, and musical soundtracks. She technically lives in New Zealand, but really lives on the Internet.
More about Karen Healey

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)