Start by marking “The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)

The Deeds of the Disturber

(Amelia Peabody #5)

A night watchman is found dead in the Mummy Room of the British Museum, a look of horror frozen on his face. As Amelia Peabody closes in on the murderer, her husband and son must try to keep her from adding herself to the list of victims.
Published 2006 by Robinson (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Deeds of the Disturber, please sign up.
Misha (Michelle) Pappas One must finish the book to find out! ;)…moreOne must finish the book to find out! ;) (less)
Elaysee I have zero concrete information about this situation, but I've inferred that there may be a conflict in the US rights to some of the early Amelia…moreI have zero concrete information about this situation, but I've inferred that there may be a conflict in the US rights to some of the early Amelia Peabody books. In print, the most recent editions of some seem to be from a Hachette subsidiary, while others are from HarperCollins. Further, I bought an ebook omnibus edition of the first four Peabody books four years ago, and that was from UK publisher Robinson, yet was available for sale in the US at that time. I'm guessing Deeds of the Disturber is on a fault line for ebook rights.(less)

Start your review of The Deeds of the Disturber (Amelia Peabody, #5)
Phrynne
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
The difficulty with reviewing a series is finding something new to say with each book. Failing that can I just say that all the things I like are still there in this fifth book about Amelia Peabody.

* Amelia is still a credit to womankind and still subject to self delusion.
* Ramses remains my favourite character by far and is still never allowed to finish a sentence.
* The cat Bastet is sadly absent for most of the book but she has much more important issues on her mind.
There are some different
✨ Gramy ✨
Mrs. Amelia "Peabody' Emerson shares her charming wit and eccentric humor in this enthralling series. The tale produced such a comically, vivid picture of this family with their superior attitudes, geological adventures, and warped mystery solving spats. that it had me laughing out loud. I am thoroughly enjoying this clean book series that provides wit, humor, and tons of new words to devour.

This is the fourth book of the series and by this time, Ramses was eight years old. This amazingly
Algernon (Darth Anyan)

The fifth episode in the Egyptian Mystery investigations of Amelia Peabody.
What sets this volume apart from the usual formula of the family going for excavations of ancient tombs in the desert is the movement of the action to London, where bodies are starting to crop up around the British Museum and its latest mummy exhibit. There is no dearth of suspects and mysterious personages - a priest with supernatural powers, colleagues from the arhelogical field, journalists, concerned friends and
TheSkepticalReader
DNFd at pg 142 because of this nonsense:

I set out at a brisk stride, looking with contempt and pity at the other ladies I saw; laced into tight stays and teetering on high-heeled shoes, they were almost incapable of motion, much less a good healthy walk. Poor foolish victims of society’s dictates –but (I reminded myself) willing victims, like the misguided females of India who fought to fling themselves into the funeral pyres of their bigamous husbands. Enlightened British laws had put an
Jenifer
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Never, I venture to say, has there been a more suitable ambience for eerie adventure than the reeking murky muddy streets of dear old London..."

I love Amelia Peabody. I especially love Barbara Rosenblat, the distinguished english voice of Amelia. She can (and does) inject innuendo, sarcasm, indignation or whatever she wants into any sentence.
The plots are good, but I read for the characters. Amelia, whose "brain works to swiftly to be organized", her darling Emerson that "magnificent specimen
Jamie Collins
I'm enjoying these, but I think I need to space them out a little more. It's starting to feel like I'm reading the same novel over and over again. The Emerson-Peabody family is subjected to kidnappings, beatings, bullets and threatening letters; ancient artifacts appear and disappear; there are young lovers in distress; there's a supposedly cursed mummy; and Ramses is still never allowed to finish a sentence.

The setting is at least different this time: Amelia and family are in London. They are
Kate
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in the series! The Emersons are in England and crime finds them even through the fog of London, this time starting with a death at the British Museum and a weird Ancient Egyptian Priest impersonator. On top of that, Amelia foolishly agreed to take in the execrable children of her awful brother while their mother recovers from illness, and Ramses seems unhappy. This book is crazily vivid in my memory but Barbara Rosenblat makes it even better. Hurrah for Inter-Library Loan and ...more
Kate Howe
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series thus far!
Anne Hawn Smith
I haven't read any of Elizabeth Peters books for a long time and I really enjoyed this one. I've about decided to go back to the beginning of the series and read them again. As with all of her books, they interactions between the main characters is just as interesting as the mystery. In this book, Peabody's unpleasant brother, James, has foisted off his children on her. As the book proceeds, the boy and girl make Ramses life miserable and the reader is waiting desperately for Amelia to see ...more
Pamela
This book is definitely a change of pace for Peabody and Emerson. Instead of being set in Egypt, like the first four books in the series, this one takes place in London, though the mystery still centers around Egyptology.

Ramses became infinitely more interesting to me in this book. Before he was a fun sort of curiosity, but now i'm taking him much more seriously as a character. His cousins? Are horrid.

I particularly liked the insertion of jealously on the part of both Peabody and Emerson. It's
Corinne Austin
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love for the narrative voice of Amelia Peabody grows with every book I read. When I grow up, I'd quite like to be her, please.
Ruthiella
Nov 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The fifth book in the Amelia Peabody series. I listened to this on audio as narrated by Susan O’Malley. She was very good but doesn’t hold a candle to Barbara Rosenblat’s performances. Alas, I am subject to the vagaries of my libraries in terms of which narration is available. This book finds the Emersons in London instead of Egypt. When the sensationalist press promotes the idea that a cursed mummy is causing British Museum employees to die, Amelia, Emerson and Ramses get involved in their ...more
Sandy
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mysteries, own
Amelia, Ramses, and Emerson travel back to England to discover that a mummy donated to the British Museum has caused the death of a night watchman. While Emerson finishes his book for publication, Amelia is asked repeatedly to look into the mummy death by the local Irish reporter and another surprise reporter. Emerson insists that Amelia not help with the investigation as she is assisting her brother with his two children, who are staying with them. While Ramses deals with the onslaught of his ...more
Kathy
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looks like Amazon is now giving me deals on books I may have missed? I got email offering me this book for $1.20....as well as the one of the Ellis Peters book I had missed out reading for another low price. Of course I took advantage of these deals.
Elizabeth Peters was a wonderful and favorite author....loved Peabody and Emerson, at this point with only one child Ramses. He comes in handy saving their lives in London this time around. Great romp.
Emma Rose Ribbons
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite a different installment from the here as this one takes place in England. Enjoyed it but it's not a favourite, I think overall Egypt provides a more interesting setting for these characters. It was fun to have Amelia be a bit jealous though for once.
Colleen
May 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be one of my favorite books in the series. For once, we see that the criminal element focuses on the Emerson family not only in Egypt, but in England as well. There are not many settings I love more than Victorian England and the fact that we see Amelia and Emerson work just as well here as they do in Egypt adds a lot to their character. Ramses is also a lot more likable in this novel and you start to feel more connected and less annoyed with him. The reemergence of Kevin O'Connell ...more
Amy
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am informed by a person no less acquainted with the subject than my dear mother that Amelia's emotions throughout this novel are entirely understandable to a married person. Being an easily bored, stubborn, extremely single young person...I found her irritating enough to take a 4.5 star mystery and drop it to 3. Come on can she really be that dense? She's almost as annoying as Emerson when he starts getting jealous.
*sigh*
Loved Ramses. He's my favorite character in this book. Now that he's
Linniegayl
This was my first reread of the fifth in the Amelia Peabody series, and this time I did it in audio. As always, Barbara Rosenblat was a delightful narrator of the series, lending each of the characters a unique voice.

This book is unique in the series in that it's set primarily in England (although most of the others allude to the Emersons spending their summers in England). This time Amelia, Emerson, and a young Ramses are in London. They become involved in an odd series of mysteries and murders
Basia
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably my least favorite that I've read (well, listened to) so far. Marital Suspicion is one of my least favorite tropes, and Percy and Violet made me want to strangle them. But the climax of this novel is so hilarious that it almost totally makes up for it, I absolutely adore Gargery, and Kevin O'Connell (one of my absolute favorites) is his usual delightful and dogged self. (Also I cannot explain why, but I am tickled that he calls her "Mrs. E." It kills me.)
Alyssa Marie
DNF at 15%. I loved the first few books in this series but I can’t do with the constant negativity around fat characters. Ways to describe a character: describe them and move ON. If you keep going back every time this character enters and you mention their fatness every SINGLE time in a negative tone, then that’s body shaming plain and simple. I get having fat bad/evil characters. But why is it so frequent? Why does every time that character gets mentioned, their weight is also mentioned? I’m ...more
Hannah Stewart
Jun 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 8%
I’m done with this series. The first book was fresh (if a little crazy with older style themes, but it felt like a new book) but each subsequent book has had the same damn storyline, the same poor villains and the same annoying language style. I don’t want to read another 15 books that are repeating shadows of the former.
Howard Brazee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful novel where the first person protagonist and her husband are Egyptologists in Victorian times, who are known for solving murders. This is the first book that I have read, and I didn’t feel any loss starting here instead of the first 4 books.
Jen
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun Peabody mystery, but this one took a particularly disturbing turn. Reading it so soon after reading The Picture of Dorian Gray was interesting, and I have to wonder if Peters was influenced by Wilde's work.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Not the best and very scattered, also, the Amelia jealousy, really?

Heading back to England after their run-in with the master criminal, Amelia Peabody Emerson and her husband are hoping to spend the summer finishing up Emerson's manuscript that was due at the publishers quite awhile ago. But even on the return journey it looks as if that might not be the case. There has been a mysterious death at the British Museum. A death that just happened to have occurred in front of a mummy. All of London
Trace
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-booklist
Love Amelia and Emerson! Great escape reading!
Carmen
Can a curse really kill you? Amelia Peabody doesn't think so. But the night watchman is dead. So what killed him? She and Emerson uncover the real killer but have many adventures along the way.
Gillian Kevern
I really liked the London setting for this story. It worked really well, and seeing Peabody and Emerson against a background I'm more familiar with added an extra dimension to the story.
Eileen Lynx
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is actually the first time I’ve read this book. I thought I had read all of them. Very good story.
Renae Rockwood
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book overall felt pretty slow but towards the end the pace really picked up and it was such a great way to end! As always, I'm low-key obsessed with Amelia Peabody-Emerson :)
Jessica
I enjoyed this fifth installment in the Amelia Peabody series. It kept the same formula as the previous books--a quirky Victorian-esque narrative tone, a supposed curse, a young couple in love, a precocious Ramses, and humorous banter between Emerson and Peabody. So yes, it read quite similarly to the previous books in the series, but this didn't bother me at all. I really like Peters's formula in these books, and I've grown attached to Emerson, Peabody and Ramses.

This book did have some fresh

• Patriot's Dream
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • The Black Tower (Adam Dalgliesh #5)
  • Gaudy Night (Lord Peter Wimsey, #12)
  • The Hermit of Eyton Forest (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael #14)
  • The Sins of the Wolf (William Monk, #5)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • Strong as Death (Catherine LeVendeur, #4)
  • The Moor (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • The Servant's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #2)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • Hangman's Holiday: A Collection of Short Mysteries (Lord Peter Wimsey, #9)
Elizabeth Peters is a pen name of Barbara Mertz. She also wrote as Barbara Michaels as well as her own name. Born and brought up in Illinois, she earned her Ph.D. in Egyptology from the University of Chicago. Mertz was named Grand Master at the inaugural Anthony Awards in 1986 and Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America at the Edgar Awards in 1998. She lived in a historic farmhouse in ...more

Amelia Peabody (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody, #1)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs (Amelia Peabody, #2)
  • The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody, #3)
  • Lion in the Valley  (Amelia Peabody, #4)
  • The Last Camel Died at Noon (Amelia Peabody, #6)
  • The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog (Amelia Peabody, #7)
  • The Hippopotamus Pool (Amelia Peabody, #8)
  • Seeing a Large Cat (Amelia Peabody, #9)
  • The Ape Who Guards the Balance (Amelia Peabody, #10)
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
“In the silence I heard Bastet, who had retreated under the bed, carrying on a mumbling, profane monologue. (If you ask how I knew it was profane, I presume you have never owned a cat.)” 84 likes
“...DAMNATION!'

No device of the printer's art, not even capital letters, can indicate the intensity of that shriek of rage. Emerson is known to his Egyptian workers by the admiring sobriquet of Father of Curses. The volume as well as the content of his remarks earned him the title; but this shout was extraordinary even by Emerson's standards, so much so that the cat Bastet, who had become more or less accustomed to him, started violently, and fell with a splash into the bathtub.

The scene that followed is best not described in detail. My efforts to rescue the thrashing feline were met with hysterical resistance; water surged over the edge of the tub and onto the floor; Emerson rushed to the rescue; Bastet emerged in one mighty leap, like a whale broaching, and fled -- cursing, spitting, and streaming water. She and Emerson met in the doorway of the bathroom.

The ensuing silence was broken by the quavering voice of the safragi, the servant on duty outside our room, inquiring if we required his assistance. Emerson, seated on the floor in a puddle of soapy water, took a long breath. Two of the buttons popped off his shirt and splashed into the water. In a voice of exquisite calm he reassured the servant, and then transferred his bulging stare to me.

I trust you are not injured, Peabody. Those scratches...'

The bleeding has almost stopped, Emerson. It was not Bastet's fault.'

It was mine, I suppose,' Emerson said mildly.

Now, my dear, I did not say that. Are you going to get up from the floor?'

No,' said Emerson.

He was still holding the newspaper. Slowly and deliberately he separated the soggy pages, searching for the item that had occasioned his outburst. In the silence I heard Bastet, who had retreated under the bed, carrying on a mumbling, profane monologue. (If you ask how I knew it was profane, I presume you have never owned a cat.)”
35 likes