Start by marking “When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?: Montaigne and Being in Touch with Life” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  201 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews

“When I dance, I dance; when I sleep, I sleep. And when I
am walking alone in a beautiful orchard, if my thoughts
are sometimes preoccupied elsewhere, the rest of the time I
bring them back to the walk, to the orchard, to the sweetness
of this solitude, and to me.”
Montaigne

In the year 1570, at the age of thirty-seven, Michel de Montaigne gave up his job as a magistrate and r

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about When I Am Playing with My Cat, How Do I Know That She Is Not Playing with Me?

Lisa
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a cliche, but I sometimes judge a book by its cover. This one offers a clever design with the words "Cat" and "...Being in Touch with Life" in the title. I'm an almost single girl with three cats, trudging through the rough terrain of chronic illness and divorce. Like the cats, the book was coming home with me.

Self-help books are anathema to me. I'm sure they help many people; unfortunately, dusty stacks of said books purchased by my thrice-married mother left an indelible impression. Monta
Lauren Albert
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-misc
I am a sucker for a few kinds of books--books about Montaigne are one of them. The problem is that it can get hard to say anything new or to say the same things in new enough ways to make them interesting. I think this would be a wonderful introduction to Montaigne for someone who hasn't read about him before. I think I couldn't do the book justice, especially having just recently read yet another book on him (Bakewell's "How to Live). But Frampton writes well and makes one want to read (or re-r ...more
Glenys
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After thoroughly enjoying Sarah Bakewell's 'How to Live? A life of Montaigne in one question and twenty attempts at an answer' (q.v.)I'm on a Montaigne spree, and this book is another quite recent account of him. I like it but compared to the lively and engaging Bakewell book, it's a bit clunky and reads like a PhD thesis that has been edited for a general readership.

In fact, I think it is.

However, it is quite readable and he brings out different facets of Montaigne that the Bakewell book does
Elizabeth Hauke
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was inexplicably drawn to this book in Barnes and Noble, Union Square, New York. I'd never read anything about Montaigne before, before I have to admit that I am overly receptive to pretty covers, and attractive bindings. This is a lovely soft-covered book that is a joy to hold, and that probably got me to open the cover and look inside.

Flicking through the pages, and deciding whether to invest in this book or not, I was drawn to the personable text and containing nature of the narrative. I'm
Graham Crawford
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
It's a bit hard to review this as I am not that familiar with the works of Montaigne. The author spends a great deal of effort trying to convince us that Montaigne is a very modern and relevant writer.
Some sections work much better than others. I found the animal section unconvincing but was drawn in by the travelers tales and the musings on humans as a social animal.

My own academic background focuses on medieval history - and I found this text somewhat lightweight in this area. This made me so
Emma Bolden
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It took me a million years to read this, but it was really remarkably good. I was too young the first time I read Montaigne and I didn't appreciate him. Now, I'm planning to re-read all of Montaigne.
Could have used more velociraptors.
Sara
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nel complesso un po' noioso, non so se dipenda da Frampton o da Montaigne..
Ben Garrard
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-jan-feb-mar
Frampton seems to be pushing a strong anti-Descartes agenda throughout a lot of the book. He makes some pretty remarkable claims about Montaigne being the first author to think/ write/ do this or that - draws some pretty long bows I think - taking all that with a grain of salt.

There's also a pretty thin attempt to find a philosophical basis for morality in Montaigne's concern for speaking honestly, and disliking cruelty etc.

I get the feeling Frampton may be reverse projecting some of his own 2
Doug Newdick
Saul Frampton attempts to take us on a tour of the key ideas and themes in Montaigne's writings. The challenge is to do a better job of this than one can have by merely reading Montaigne in the first place, and at this Frampton fails. Montaigne is so entertaining, and so thought provoking that it is hard to beat him at his own game. Reading Frampton just makes me want to read Montaigne, but doesn't make me feel that I've gained much over and above reading the essays directly. If you want to read ...more
Janice
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Introductory biography of Montaigne and his writing
  • Public Enemies: Dueling Writers Take On Each Other and the World
  • Terra Amata
  • Rousseau: A Very Short Introduction
  • Die Kunst des klugen Handelns, 52 Irrwege, die Sie besser anderen überlassen
  • Death Sentences
  • How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer
  • Betraying Spinoza: The Renegade Jew Who Gave Us Modernity