Start by marking “The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  157 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
What happened when a gentleman put off washing his dishes after supper.
Published January 1st 1950 by Doubleday & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes

Laura Morrigan
Nowadays, there are a lot of beautiful picture books out there, but I still appreciate the charm of the simple monochrome and duochrome picture books of my childhood. This was a simple, charmingly illustrated little story of a man who went to great lengths to never have to wash his dishes. How funny that, years later, as an adult, I still hate washing dishes!
Kristin
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Living on my own for the first time in my adult life with a roommate and still pretending were teenagers while both working full time means doing dishes is often a battle and a real core... I found myself thinking about this book quite often and having a good laugh at ourselves... even now this book has touched my life. :D
Sylvester
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, squirt
3* art
3* story

Another one that's really too old for Squirt right now - but he liked it. I pointed out the cat in each picture, and he seemed interested. Very fun idea - who hasn't wished they could quit washing up?!!
Ursula
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny way to get a message across to kids that dishes need to be washed.
Deborah
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents of young children
A beloved book from my childhood, I was thrilled to obtain a copy to add to my small but delightful collection of children's books.
Deb
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another one of Madison's favorites when she came to visit us. We had to read this one also every night. A funny tale about what happens when a man doesn't wash his dishes and what he uses instead. How he resolves the dishwashing problem at the end of the story and eating out of ashtrays (clean of course) were two of our favorite parts!
Another book that Madison shared with her baby sister this past summer!
Demetrius Sherman
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember bringing this home from school as a small child, and the older ones looking at it and thinking it was hilarious. Yes it is funny, but it tells a truth that applies to everyone young and older: never put off tomorrow what you can do today or the problem can "pile up" on you.
Riley Billings
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: el-ed-340
This book was about a man who lives alone and decides that he doesn't want to do his dishes ever. Throughout the story he has to find ways to get around his growing piles of dishes, until it becomes too much to handle.
Jazzy Lemon
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had this book when I was 4, possibly checked out from the library. I read it so many times. This man didn't wash his dishes!
Michael Fitzgerald
Kind of predictable, although absurd. Not all that interesting.
Jmarkat
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The man who didn't was his dirty dishes was intended for children in intermediate grade levels. This story is in the genre of non- fiction. This is a story about a man who lived alone and had to do his own cooking. After eating he would be too tired to do the dishes so he'd put them off until the next day. This goes on and on ubtil he has nothing to eat off of not even the soap dish. Then a miracle happened and from then on he vowed to wash dishes after every meal. I gave this book 4 stars becau ...more
Chris
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Me
Recommended to Chris by: Other Half
Karen
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Who, me?
Shelves: fiction, childrens
I had mixed feelings about this as a child. On the one hand, I saw it for the parent-established propaganda that it was. On the other hand, I did feel guilty about not doing my dishes. Finally, it made me really want to not wash any dishes just so I could see them pile up and fill the whole house. Because that would be fun.

What this says about my childhood in particular and my psyche in general I will leave to you to decide.
Angela Randall
It's like a kids version of some of the stories from He Died with a Felafel in His Hand. Teaches you all about housework, procrastination and innovative solutions to being a lazy bum.
Rachael
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My husband thinks it is hilarious that this was one of my favorite books as a child. But it was, so what can I say? I still love to read it to my children and I look forward to reading it to the grandkids---so there. I love a book about housekeeping.....so sue me.
Sally
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
OMG, I think this book is why I'm such a neat freak... :P
Erin
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book as a child! I used to make my mom read it to me every time we went to the library. When I was older she tracked down a copy for me.
OMG! By FAR my favorite childhood book. :) I need to buy a copy ASAP!
Michelle
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I remember thinking of this story when I was a kid and my parents made me do the dishes :-P
Stephanie Strebeck
One of my favorite books growing up. I can totally relate to him. Is there a moral to the story that I missed..? Doubt it.
Robert Ferrante
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I used to check this book out at the school library every week until the school called my mom. Years later I bought a used copy since it was out of print. Great moral...do not procrastinate.
Franny Burd
  • Henny Penny
  • But No Elephants
  • Socks for Supper
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • A Dark, Dark Tale (Red Fox Picture Books)
  • Five Minutes' Peace
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • Science Rocks!
  • Madlenka
  • Subway Story
  • Would You Rather...
  • I Knew You Could!: A Book for All the Stops in Your Life (The Little Engine That Could)
  • The Ultimate Book Of Kid Concoctions: More Than 65 Wacky, Wild & Crazy Concoctions
  • Is It Red? Is It Yellow? Is It Blue?
  • More Spaghetti, I Say!
  • The Beast of Monsieur Racine
Best known for her picture books, although also the author of two young adult novels and numerous magazine and newspaper articles, some of them humorous. Krasilovsky's first two books were accepted for publication when she was nineteen and newly married. Both of them were written in response to real children. The Very Little Girl (1953) was originally a birthday card for her sister's child, and Th ...more
More about Phyllis Krasilovsky...