Start by marking “Solis” as Want to Read:
Solis

Solis

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Mr. Charlie is a brain without a body, revived after being frozen for a thousand years.

Charlie Outis has no idea of what the world might be like in the far future after he decides to have his brain frozen with the slim hope of it being revived one day.

But even a thousand years from now, brains are a valuable commodity—even brains without heads. But who does the brain belon
Nook, 164 pages
Published February 21st 2011 by Phoenix Pick (first published December 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Solis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solis

Metaphorosis
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-rev, reviewed

reviews.metaphorosis.com

4 stars

Charles Outis had his brain frozen post-mortem. A millennium later, he's reawakened - as a piece of property, first a tool for erotic fantasies, then the control for a mining machine. When he calls for help, he's answered by Munk, an androne studying humans, and Mei Nili, a disenchanted space worker. Together, they fight to reach the free city of Solis, in the hope that they can all find a place for themselves.

A. A. Attanasio's books contain layer upon layer of su
Ron
Mar 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Cute. A fun read. Light stuff. A short story puffed into a novel, but fun nonetheless. Reads like an older generation of SF--says 1970s.

I figured someone was a Maat. I just guessed wrong.
Philip Athans
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solis is everything you can hope for from a great science fiction novel: a brilliant mix of action/adventure and big ideas/cutting-edge tech. A.A. Attanasio is a writer's writer, using language in surprising, beautiful ways. Bravo.
Nathan Shumate
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Attanasio's incredible diction is a two-edged sword, dazzling the reader with a command over vocabulary that's almost scary but distancing us somewhat from the meat of the narrative. I think someone needs to take an Attanasio novel and arrange the text on the page as free verse.
Tomislav
I read this book because it was the March 2011 selection for the Hard SF group at yahoogroups/goodreads. Compared to some of the books I've read earlier this year, it was quick and easy.

Solis starts from the severely impaired point of view of Mr. Charlie, as he comes to consciousness 1000 years in the future, after his brain was frozen upon his death in our own time. I enjoy being thrown into a setting that seems non-sensible at first, and having to puzzle out what is going on, so this was a gre
Jeff Miller
There was much to like about this book that started with a strong premise. A man has had his brain cryogenically frozen to hope to see the future and the progress that has been made. Things don't go a planned as he becomes property and used by different fractions in a world that is not what he expected.

There is a kind of parallelism to the Wizard of Oz in that grouped with others who all have some problem they seek a city that will take them in and give them what they need. In fact the main char
Jeff Goodman
I read this book many years ago when I was working in a factory after graduating high school not knowing what I should be doing with myself. It is one of a handful, along with Ender's Game, Treason, some by Issac Asimov, and a dozen or so other SciFi books that sparked the passion for philosophy and literature that would guide my life for decades after.

That being said, I cannot remember it well enough now to be sure it doesn't have anything to it I would now consider any fatal flaw. What I can r
Matthew
Jan 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To say that this book is odd would be an understatement. Following a brain in a jar, or "wetware," it shows an interesting look at humanity's future. With much genetic manipulation, organic computers made of human brains, and a rogue Martian colony, Attanasio puts forward some interesting ideas about what humans may become and how they may lose themselves to their technology. While the ideas expressed inside this book are interesting, the pace of the novel is unfortunate. Starting out strong wit ...more
David
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
The book provides some interesting ideas on future tech, views of possible future societies, raises questions about personhood & consciousness, and does so in a reasonably hard SF framework.

The societies we see don't tend to be so appealing. The conclusion of the book rests more on the good guys / bad guys thread of the book than the above elements which interested me more. But as you can see, I still felt it deserved a good rating and would recommend it to those who want more than space adv
John
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about a man who dies during our times and his brain is cryogenically frozen and he wakes up in the far distant future and his brain is the CPU of a mining station orbiting in the adteroid belt and his further adventures and quest to become whole again. He send a message for help the only way he know s how with Radio waves and an android heres him and comes to his rescue. BTW, radio waves are no longer used anymore for human communication. Very fun I have read it twice.
Alexandra Rolo
Numa época mais avançada que a nossa, é permitido congelar os cérebros para que depois sejam utilizados quando necessário. Charlie Outis é um dos que acorda anos mais tarde para descobrir que é escravo de máquinas.
A história parece ter sido esticada quando funcionava perfeitamente num registo mais curto. É um texto interessante, no entanto torna-se aborrecido muito depressa.

in: http://folhaembranco.blogs.sapo.pt/so...
Steven
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This is an amazing book. It is a true SciFi story, exploring the human psyche and the meaning of what being a human is, presented in crisply described potential future. The author has a prodigious vocabulary and a mastery of the written word.
However, you may find yourself wondering why he seems to be rushing the story at the end, as I did and some other reviewers on here have. Given all that I still recommend the book.
Libby Bacon
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solis is an amazing Sci-Fi book. Set in the distant future, brains are harvested from Cryogenic Dumps on Earth and used illegally to operate machinery at a mine on an asteroid belt. The Main character (brain) manages to send out a cry for help using archaic radio waves. And the adventure begins. Attanasio paints a vivid and bizarre world.
Roberta
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
An interesting book set in the future about a brain awoken more than one thousand years after his death. He decided to congeal his brain for curiosity but I find himself in a world where he has not anymore right.
Rich Zowaski
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
I found this book fascinating and in interesting concept. I would have liked to have seen a bit more romantic interaction between Me. Charlie and Mei but it is what it is and it was a great read. Highly recommended it!
Michael Schulz
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: attanasio
Very good. Can a robot become a human? The Prelude was hard going but once I got into the story it was great.
Chet
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A frozen brain is re-awakened in the far future starting an adventure, raising some questions of ethics, and pointing out that freezing ourselves for the future is risky.
Jake
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the universe of the Radix books, but not.
Peter Berg
Oct 21, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth reading. Just smalltalk.
Rick
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A man arranges to have his brain frozen after his death. This is the story of what happens when he is 'awoken' 1000 years later. Begs the question: does he own his brain, since he is legally dead?
Robert
3.5 star. Rounding up.
Jtmarsh123
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good read with an interesting ending - albeit a predictable one.
Dorita Varela
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • The Ice Owl
  • Act One
  • Daughter of Elysium
  • Code of the Lifemaker (Code of the Lifemaker, #1)
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • With A Little Help
  • The Black Star Passes
  • Limits
  • The Wind from a Burning Woman
  • Lilith: A Snake in the Grass (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #1)
  • A Tale of the Ragged Mountains
  • Sagramanda
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Starborne
  • Pallas
  • Coming Home (Sophie Anderson, #6)
I’m a novelist and student of the imagination living in Honolulu. Fantasies, visions, hallucinations or whatever we call those irrational powers that illuminate our inner life fascinate me. I’m particularly intrigued by the creative intelligence that scripts our dreams. And I love carrying this soulful energy outside my mind, into the one form that most precisely defines who we are: story.
More about A.A. Attanasio

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99