Start by marking “Palimpseste” as Want to Read:
Palimpseste

Palimpseste

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  509 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Drame écologique, guerre nucléaire, catastrophe naturelle... À plus ou moins long terme, toute civilisation est vouée à disparaître. Cela s'est d'ailleurs produit des millions de fois depuis la formation de notre planète.
Pour préserver l'humanité de ces inévitables apocalypses, des agents venus d'un lointain futur voyagent tout au long de l'histoire de la Terre : à chaque
Published May 28th 2011 by J'ai lu (first published July 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Palimpseste, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palimpseste

Ben Babcock
So after finishing The Time Traveler’s Wife I realized that the next book on my shelf was Family Matters. The last Rohinton Mistry book I read cut me up, so I decided that before I attempted this next one, I would need something I was guaranteed to enjoy. Fortunately, my awesome limited edition of Palimpsest had just arrived from Subterranean Press. I first read Palimpsest when it was a nominee for the Hugo Award for Best Novella. It subsequently won, deservedly, the award, and so when I heard ...more
Kat  Hooper
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Agent Pierce murdered his own grandfather to join Stasis, the covert organization which works outside of time to reseed the Earth with humans every time they’re about to make themselves extinct. Pierce considers himself a loyal agent, and he didn’t even realize that there is a group that works in Opposition to Stasis — he’s only in training. So, why is someone trying to assassinate him?

Palimpsest follows Agent Pierce from initiation, through his twenty yea
Sara Mazzoni
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charles Stross ha preso il soggetto di La fine dell’eternità di Asimov e lo ha riscritto, in modo completamente diverso. Il risultato è una novella ariosa e variopinta, che parla di viaggi nel tempo. Stross dribbla beffardo i paradossi, e punteggia la sua storia con visioni del tempo e dello spazio sovrumane.

Lo stile di Stross è vivace, alterna punti di vista, voci narranti, tempi verbali, adattando il ritmo della scrittura a quello lisergico delle realtà che si accavallano tra loro a mano a
T4ncr3d1
Un breve racconto (forse troppo breve), scritto con maestria, che all'evidentissimo omaggio all'Eternità di Asimov lega una visione estrema del lontanissimo futuro dell'umanità, con i caratteristici excursus che rivelano la portata della grande immaginazione dell'autore.
Eppure è poco, troppo poco, da Stross mi aspetto molto di più.
Eloise Sunshine
While it is true that there are basically only about 4 characters in this story, it doesn't make it less valuable or interesting. Quite opposite, I would say. They skills it must take to compile all the actions in a logical row when you only get to use endless copies of just one man in different times and realities or palimpsests being created and overwritten... I would recommend to enjoy the good sides of this story - the games with reality and history, the possibilities of our planet's future ...more
Nicolas
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Dans ce très court roman (160 pages !), on suit l'ascencion de Pierce, jeune agent de la Stase - chargée de protéger une lignée historique privilégiée nous menant des milliards d'années dans le futur. cette ascencion nous fera d'abord passer par son initiation (moment difficile entre tous, puisqu'il doit devenir un être paradoxal), avant d ele voir plongé dans ses premières missions, sa réalisation de ce qu'il a perdu, avant qu'enfin n'arrive la compréhension de ce qu'est la Stase.

Bon, c'est dif
Accelerando meets the Total Awareness Society. Great meditation on the different ways we could be, as the universe grows colder and darker, individually and collectively. That's the wrong conjunction junction, because in the world of the Palimpsest and frequent backups of EVERYTHING, we can be copied, overwritten, copied, overwritten again and again and again. Whole spaceships staffed by variations on a theme.

Smart book, but a chilly one.

Moira
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Vividly sketched, but a sketch nonetheless. An unwelcome dose of bullshit gender tropes - our women range from the stern teacher who secretly wants to fuck you to the eager student who will also gladly fuck you, with a stop-off in the middle for the pliant, dumb wife and a mysterious, sensual soldier - drops Stross off my read-again-soon list.
John
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, charles-stross
Quite a mind-blowing novella from a master of future imaginings! Good science-fiction always gets the reader to think, often to think way outside the box, and Charles Stross has the mental power and writing ability to bring his stories to fruition in a way that provides challenges, and insights, and humor, and wonder for his audience's delight. A terrific read!
G33z3r
"Palimpsest" Imagines a universe (or maybe it's a multi-verse) where an organization of time travelers flit through the millennia making adjustments to human history. The time agents, an organization called Stasis, exist outside of time (originally plucked from various eras of human history.) (that has, in fact, a superficial similarity to Asimov's The End of Eternity.)

But Stasis has a much grander plan than Asimov's time travelers ever did. These time travelers concentrate on re-seeding the hu
Raj
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, time-travel
I enjoyed this novella that covers some of the more intricate nature of time travel. The Stasis is an organisation that has access to time travel and uses it to shape human history, preserving the human race, and reseeding it on Earth after it goes extinct, as it inevitably does.

Our protagonist is Pierce, someone plucked out of time in the early 21st century after he fulfils the initiation of killing his own grandfather and we follow him as he progresses through his training to a full agent of t
My Inner Shelf
Le thème des voyages dans le temps et des paradoxes temporels me fascinent depuis toujours. Je suis donc a priori une bonne cliente pour ce genre de roman.
La Stase, une organisation d’agents « immortels », veille sur la pérennité de la race humaine en modifiant les événements qui mènent à sa disparition. L’un de ses agents se retrouve confronté à la « disparition » de sa propre famille, victime d’un palimpseste…l’histoire a été réécrite !
Je suis incapable de mieux résumer l’intrigue, tant l’aute
De Jan
Dobre ideje, solidan koncept, loš način na koji je priča ispričana.
Puno nepotrebnih i nevažnih podataka koji su ugušili priču.
Visi na rubu da napokon postane zanimljivo, ali uz puno "preletavanja" teksta to se neće dogoditi niti do kraja.

Korektan (a zahtjevan) prijevod nije spasio stvar.
Suho. Unatoč dobrim sastojcima - dosadno.
Za neke ideje i trud - poklonjena dvojka.
HUGO 2010?!

The God Engines Johna Scalzija je bila nominirana u istoj kategoriji te godine.
Toliko.
Seawood
Dec 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Didn't really connect with this one, unfortunately. Partly this is due to the fact that I was expecting something rather different - my copy (which I think I got as part of a Humble Bundle or some other download pack) has the name and cover of Catherynne M Valente's Palimpsest (one I suspect would have been more my thing!), and that I was listening to it whilst sewing, so not giving it my undivided attention. The general idea was interesting enough but carried out in a fairly patchy way with mor ...more
Elalma
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Il Palinsesto è una pergamena che può essere scritta, cancellata e riscritta di nuovo. Proprio come i paradossi dei viaggi nel tempo consentono di riscrivere la storia. Qui vengono usati per impedire che la specie umana si estingua, o per lo meno, per consentire che duri più a lungo, riprogettando il sole, la terra, il sistema solare grazie ai viaggi del tempo. Ottime idee, molto brillanti, sviluppate con grande competenza cosmologica, ma forse è troppo "hard" sf per me: non sono riuscita a gust ...more
Jonathan Lupa
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Yikes!

This one caught me by surprise. Normally, I quite enjoy Charles Stross work, though he tangents into contexts which don't interest me. He tends to cover big-topic SF, which seems to me to be more challenging and rewarding than lightsabre pulp.

Anyway, this particular story is fundamentally a mind boggling story of time travel, and he pulls it off terrifically. I had a really challenging time keeping track of timelines and light cones, so I can see where some people would probably not be int
Vickey Foggin
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a Hugo-nominated novella from Charles Stross' short story collection "Wireless" that was released as a stand-alone e-book. A quick, captivating read. Pierce is a agent of Stasis, an organisation that uses extreme interventions through time to prevent the extinction of the human race. Stasis is very powerful, but it is not always right.
Evilynn
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, 2011
I almost feel bad for buying this book, it turns out it was a signed copy, 925 out of 1000 printed, seems like that kind of book should go to a proper fan, not someone who's never read anything by Stross before.

I'd give this novella 4.5 stars if I could, it's a very interesting mix of time travel and history, paradoxes abound.
Hannah
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Honestly, I felt as if I couldn't understand about half the book and felt pretty stupid trying to read a book meant for "experienced sci-fi readers". Maybe my 14-year-old brain just didn't have the mental capacity to comprehend it without consulting a dictionary every few pages. I might come back and read it in a few years time, after expanding my vocabulary.
Accio Jurassic Books
Je me suis ennuyée du début à la fin, je trouve que l'auteur ne situe pas bien le contexte de son histoire.
Je l'ai trop complexe pas assez explicite pour le lecteur. Parfois des termes trop scientifique voir même incompréhensible pour un lecteur lambda.
Il y a peu de pages mais ce fut laborieux comme lecture...
Michael Hirsch
Not one of Stross's best. Maybe I'd have liked it better if he'd fleshed it out into a full novel, but as it is, too many details were left out for my taste. Out feels like a concept for a story, without the story.
Mike
A year or two ago I said something on Twitter about how awesome it would be if Charles Stross wrote an episode of Doctor Who, and he replied (squee!) that it was extremely unlikely.

Palimpsest is everything I would have hoped from from Stross taking on time travel, and more.
Terry
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-read
Possibly the best Time Travel story I've ever had the pleasure to read. What an imagination.
Clyde
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
One of Charles Stross's best works.
Kalver
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
võrdlus Igaviku lõpuga tuli ainult kahjuks
Michele
4.5 stars. There were just a few times when I was kind of lost. Otherwise, I would have given it 5 stars. A really great time travel story.
Alexander Lisovsky
будни спецподразделения путешественников во времени; мало что помню (10.2014)
Rolf Eberhardt
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel which delves into the intricacies of time travel.
Helena Gordyniec
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
much hugo
Сергей Провоторин
Эпическое повествование о том как люди подчиняли себе пространство и время вселенной.
  • Seven Views of Olduvai Gorge
  • No Enemy But Time
  • Down in the Bottomlands and Other Places
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • The Lifecycle of Software Objects
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 24: Return of the Black Soul (Usagi Yojimbo, #24)
  • Memories of the Space Age
  • Act One
  • Hawksbill Station
  • Troika
  • The Man Who Bridged the Mist
  • Hamlet's Father
  • Blue and Gold
  • Oceanic
Charles David George "Charlie" Stross is a writer based in Edinburgh, Scotland. His works range from science fiction and Lovecraftian horror to fantasy.

Stross is sometimes regarded as being part of a new generation of British science fiction writers who specialise in hard science fiction and space opera. His contemporaries include Alastair Reynolds, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams and Richard Morgan.

SF
More about Charles Stross...