Start by marking “Little Panda” as Want to Read:
Little Panda

Little Panda

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  138 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In the misty mountains a little panda bear climbs tall trees, munches sweet bamboo, and curls up in his favorite perch to sleep. It is just rightuntil Mother Panda goes looking for a snack and Little Panda’s nap is disturbed by something unexpected. What was it that his mother told him he should do? This is the perfect story to reassure little ones that parents always retu ...more
Published January 17th 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published October 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Little Panda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Panda

Mary
I liked Renata Liwska's illustrations so much in the Boom Snot Twitty books that I checked out some more of her work. This is one she has both written and illustrated and it is a winner. It has a sweetness and humor that make an old tale delightful reading. The illustrations are a different style from the aforementioned, but lovely and refreshing.

First Line: "Just the other day, Grandfather Panda was talking to his grandson."
Paul Candeias
I enjoyed this book, mostly for the lessons it teaches about listening to parents and dealing with danger. Bao Bao mother told him to find a better tree but he didn't listen to her is an example of how teachers can take that and turn it around to instill to children that it is important to listen to their parents. And when the tiger begins to chase Bao Bao and he runs, that can be used to teach that sometimes when in danger the best thing to do is to just run away.

Lesson: A good lesson I would u
Melanie
A grandfather tells his grandson a story about a baby panda that loves to sleep in his favorite tree even though it really is too small for him. One day when his mother travels far to find bamboo for dinner the little panda is in his too-small tree. While his mother is gone a tiger sneaks up on the panda baby and climbs his too-small tree. The small panda climbs higher and higher but he eventually falls out of the tree, causing the tiger to go flying from the springing branch.

A sweet story. Chil
Kathryn
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Liswka's art in "The Quiet Book"
I really loved The Quiet Book and was so excited when I found that the illustrator, Liwska, had also authored and illustrated this book. While "Little Panda" doesn't shine quite as much as "The Quiet Book" it is still full of absolutely adorable artwork (I love the tiger!) and is an entertaining little story told from Grandpa Panda to his grandchild about "the tiger who flew" -- you might wonder how a tiger could fly, and so does the little panda, so read this book to find out ;-)
Kristen
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This could've been an ordinary story of the lessons a little panda learned from his mama, but the dialogue and art give it such warmth and gentle character that it comes off as snug and dear, not sticky-sweet. The book-ending parts of the grandfather and the little panda are charming, too, and nicely frame the story.
Whirl Girl
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-five, china
The animal books are always a big hit with The Whirl Girl, and we had to have a panda book for China. I liked how this showed the natural life of a panda, but still had enough of a story for The Whirl Girl to enjoy it. Pretty much any story of a mama and her child are popular in our house and this one had just the right amount of suspense without being scary.
Rachael
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
So cute. So very very cute. I think the story was also fairly well done, if not exactly enthralling, but I was distracted by the fact that the little panda was so adorable. I took a poll the other night at work, and no one was able to come up with anything cuter than a baby panda. Well, one person said a baby anteater, but she was clearly wrong. (Taht's right, Kristi. You were wrong.)
Beth
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Really cute nice story for early elementary school kids about a little panda who sees a tiger fly. I love the interaction between the grandpa and little panda at the beginning. The book is a little small for a large group to see the pictures.
Tara
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful pictures. The story is fun and has the feel of a classic tale. The pictures are not bright and so this is better for an older child rather than my 6 month old. This book is definitely worthy of purchase.
Rachel
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adorable!
Rochelle
Feb 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
I felt like the book jumped a lot and really had no plot. The story seemed lazy and should have been longer. I will say the pictures are beautiful though!
Anya
Simple story about a little panda that was saved from the tiger by skills taught to him by his mother. Cute soft illustrations. Children enjoyed this story.
Jessi
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peaceful, lovely illustrations and a fun story. I enjoyed this one.
Caleb
Feb 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I liked the pictures a lot, and I think this is my favorite picture book featuring pandas (However, I've only read two).
The Brothers
The story is okay. Cute, but nothing special. The illustrations of the baby panda, on the other hand, are aaaaa-dorable!
Kaethe
Amazingly, Liwska based her work on the panda cams and photos available on the internet. A nice story with charming art as Lin Lin plays.
Sally
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Cute story, nice illustrations. About listening to your parents!
****
5 year old LOVES this.
(2012)
Erin
Jun 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a lovely book with soft, warm illustrations - the story is adorable and very clever too. Fans of Zen Shorts and other panda books will enjoy.
Dolly
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
A nice tale about Pandas in China. Fun to read aloud.
Paula

A grandfather tells his grandson an unlikely story about a panda and how it escapes from the tiger that wants to eat it.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"small size, pandas, Chinese illustration, tigers, simple but funny, physical size to small for storytime"
Lauren
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
A quick little book, but it didn't seem to interest my boys too much.
Mckinley
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, picture, cat, bear
Funny story in a story.
  • Turtle Splash!: Countdown at the Pond
  • Moon Plane
  • Sisters
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert (I Can Read Level 1)
Originally from Poland, I live in Canada with my illustrator husband Mike Kerr.
Growing up in Europe I went to a high school where the main focus was art. I got a strong foundation in the basics of image making, such as drawing, painting, design, and sculpture. When I came to Canada I went to the Alberta College of Art & Design, where I figured out how to use the art skills I had learned in War
More about Renata Liwska...