Start by marking “Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home” as Want to Read:
Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home

Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home

Every woman needs an Aunt Jane, and through her books, Elizabeth Prentiss becomes Aunt Jane for us all. Her godly wisdom and her charming with transcend time and place. She is the quintessential Titus 2 woman. Whether you are at the beginning or well along the way in your marriage journey, Aunt Jane's Hero will encourage you. Married or not, this book will equip you to be ...more
Published August 22nd 2007 by Calvary Press (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Jane's Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Jane's Hero

Start your review of Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
Hannah
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A tale of the home front in the North during the Civil War.
I reread this so many times that the pages are literally falling out of my copy. Someday perhaps I will find a reasonably priced hardcover!
Hannah
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Aunt Jane's Hero is definitely one of the books that have challenged me in my spiritual walk. On the outset, the book looks like a boring story about perfect people (Aunt Jane and Maggie) reaching down to convict the sinners (Horace and Maggie's sister Annie), yet there is so much more to this book, so much depth and beauty. Horace and his wife go through many little and major trials as we all do, they fail and speak or behave wrongly sometimes, even doubting God, yet He brings them through each ...more
Molly Whelan
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh how I've come to love Elizabeth Prentiss! She masterfully weaves biblical themes throughout her sweet and Christ-exalting stories. Self-sacrifice, hospitality, discipleship, service, prayer, and repentance are just a few of the ideas woven into this depiction of a Christ-centered home.
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This novel was written in the nineteenth century. I greatly enjoy literature from that period, so I have a high tolerance for certain writing techniques in this work that might seem jarring and "preachy" to most modern readers. Even by the standards of the day, the writing would be mediocre, at best. However, I do find the characters and the plot to be charming.

The book outlines the story of a young couple who meet, date, and marry, all while looking to their mutual friend, Aunt Jane, for advice
Hannah Nedrud
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a staple of my book collection, one I have read and reread over the past few years. Though perhaps a bit idealistic, there are a number of passages throughout the book that could stand alone as inspiration and direction for grounded Christian living. I'm sure I will be reading it again in the near future.
Emily
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aunt Jane's Hero is a little bit nuts. The trouble with a good Christian novel, with good Christian characters who strive earnestly to do what's best in the eyes of an ever-loving and -providing God, is that, because God provides, none of the narrative tension lasts for more than a few chapters. Horace is worldly, then he becomes a better Christian. Horace thinks Maggie doesn't love him, but she does. Horace takes sick, but then he gets better. Maggie's sister Annie is too worldly, but she ...more
Victoria Lynn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great Prentiss book. The story was so good and the moral priceless. Highly recommend it!
ladydusk
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Own.

I read this a year or two ago on my own and the ladies in my book club decided to read it for this month.

I really like Elizabeth Prentiss. She's not the most polished authoress: the stories often begin slowly and her writing voice and instruction is too up front for the modern reader ... but well fit the style of the era.

Aunt Jane's Hero teaches us much about faithfulness to Christ through trials. It teaches us about being good mentors and encouragers. It teaches us how to love one another.
Wendy Webber
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book. So much so that I straight away listened to it again (audiobook version). I rarely reread books but this one is like a devotional, with little christian truths to be mined each time you dig into it. Shows that rare christian life of being completely sold out to Christ, deep joy and genuineness. I have a feeling this is going to be one of my all time favourite reads.
Jen Vanderwey
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
How does she do it? I love anything by Elizabeth Prentiss. She knows women, and she knows the good things of God. This novel, like her others is about a Christian womans calling and duty, to find and create and treasure all that is beautiful and good in the Lords world. This book is about Gods economy and the great reversal. You will not put it down, and you will be tutored through Prentisss characters: who to strive to be like, and who to pity. ...more
Elaine
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this novel of Elizabeth Prentiss as I had only ever read Stepping Heavenward certainly it does read as another Prentiss work and while it could be said that the heroine Maggie was beyond perfect I really appreciated many of the lessons found in the book. If you have read Stepping Heavenward this is the next in the series......... ...more
Lori
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This particular (free) ebook edition that I have is very poorly edited. I'm guessing other editions are much better, so I'm not going to base my rating/review on that. This was a beautiful of two couples that are inspired by the Christian faith of an older woman, whom they call Aunt Jane.
Rebekah
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books
I have found the writings of Elizabeth Prentiss to be quit enjoyable. She sees the beauty in everyday life, but does not gloss over the hardships. This book was no exception.
Charity U
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
An old, sweet, clean story.
Wendy
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it
An excellent novel and living picture of a vituous matchmaking and the value of faithful and loving counsel from a loving aunt - with wisdom and exp.erience. Refreshing and inspiring
Larissa
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Love it! I cannot say enough about Elizabeth Prentiss. Great Christian fiction on the truths of being married! Highly Recommend.
Lisa
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read about the importance of keeping an eternal perspective in life.
Sara
May 06, 2012 rated it it was ok

Not what I was expecting.i was surprised to see it was s so recently published due to the theme vocabulary and grammer.
Beth Nell
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read!
Charlene
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Christian authors.
Sandy
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to an audio recording by Librivox which was not listed on Goodreads.

I loved this book! It reminds me a little of Not My Will or of books by Grace Livingston Hill. But somehow deeper and more challenging to ones own heart for being very closely friends with God to be His ambassador.
Aunt Janes influence on many young people who loved her comes from the things she has been taught by her own life and friendship with Christ. And so her love makes her the one to whom they go for advice.
Heather Bork
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
This is a book I will recommend many, many times. It is just as good as Stepping Heavenward and should be required reading for all young wives and wives-to-be.
Michelle
"It is true they were misjudged by those who had suffered less and learned less; but who has passed through this difficult, complex journey of life unassailed, and nobly understood?"
V
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
This antiquated text reads like an instructional manual on how to turn your life and marriage toward God. While the plot is interesting, the characters did not all seem believable. Aunt Jane, for whom the book is obviously named, is a believable and sympathetic character. This text was a quick, nice read.

Additionally, the digital version of this text was riddled with typos.
Peyton
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book is a really good book. I enjoyed it very much and completed it in one day!! I really enjoy anything Elizabeth writes.
Katie

• Stepping Heavenward
  • Deadwood Dick Jr. Branded
  • The Good Master
  • Peggy's Trial
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Little Prudy
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Christmas Holidays at Merryvale
  • A Little Country Girl
  • What Katy Did
  • What Katy Did at School
  • What Katy Did Next
  • Clover
  • Deadwood Dick's Doom; Or, Calamity Jane's Last Adventure
  • Fame and Fortune (Ragged Dick, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • A Cousin's Conspiracy: A Boy's Struggle For An Inheritance
  • Timothy Crump's Ward
ELIZABETH PRENTISS (1818 -1878) was the daughter of an early nineteenth-century revival preacher and began writing as a teenager. Born in 1818 in Portland, Maine, Prentiss was also the writer of the hymn "More Love to Thee, O Christ." Prentiss died in Vermont in 1878.