Start by marking “A Doctor in the House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad” as Want to Read:
A Doctor in the House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad

A Doctor in the House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad

In his twenty-two years as Prime Minister of Malaysia Dr Mahathir Mohamad transformed his country from an agricultural backwater into an industrial powerhouse that would become the seventeenth-largest trading nation in the world.

This remarkable achievement was not without controversy, and Dr Mahathirs extraordinary vision and iron grip earned him both enemies as well as
Published March 8th 2011 by MPH Group Publishing Sdn Bhd (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Doctor in the House, please sign up.
Syed Shahrom Wafa If you in Malaysia you can find the Malay translation easily at MPH or Popular bookstores anywhere nationwide

Start your review of A Doctor in the House: The Memoirs of Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
Khairul Hezry
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
This review also appears in my blog: The Malaysian Reader

Winston Churchill once said that history would remember him positively because he would be the one writing it. Mahathirs magnum opus, A Doctor In The House, purports to do the same for its author. It is probably safe to presume that those who crack open this 800+ page book will jump straight to the juicy chapters that discuss the episodes when Mahathir was seen in a bad light. You know the ones Im talking about. The Ku Li-led Team B
Bassam Al-Bassam ☔️
He surprises me of not being afraid of saying what he sees as right. Perhaps that's what a true leader should be.

I love his country and I respect him for this honest memoir.
Suleiman
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing

A Doctor in The House [The Memoir of Tun Dr Mahathir bn Mohamed] is without doubt the most fascinating book I've ever read Although this book is best addressed to the Malays in particular, I most admit it is also a message to the whole world especially to the Third World countries I believed our leaders could learn a lot from this visionary leader who transform a country of nothing but rice farming into an industrial powerhouse that is among 20 largest trading nations in the world

This
ZA
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
An easy read, given the writer's penchant for short, direct sentences. The early years give an interesting glimpse into Malaya during Brit occupation, but of course the political tales are the most riveting. The man hardly keeps his views to himself so those who keep up with his speeches and blogposts won't find anything jarringly different, except for a few bits and pieces on politics perhaps. The chapter on Anwar Ibrahim is contentious, but again it's a refresher to those who lived through ...more
LeikHong Leow
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This indeed is a very thick book.

Tun Dr. M is a remarkable man for our country Malaysia, serving as our PM for 22 years and he is now back again for his second term to save the country from the corrupted Barisan government.

Inside this book, Tun did not only shared about his politic career on how he transformed himself from a medical doctor into a politician and eventually became the Malaysia 4th Prime Minister. But he also shared about his childhood, his family, his view during the British
Shahrill Ramli
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It took me 3 months to finish this book as my priority was more on my Master's Degree & Project Research. I may be biased but this book has been a great paradigm-shifting for me. A more intimate writing in comparison to his other previous writings; this memoir chronicles from his perspective as an Anglophile Malay boy who was then abruptly woken up by the harsh reality of the bogus infatuation that British were in Malaya simply to exploit the Golden Chersone (Malaya) for the sake of ...more
Kataklicik
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Oh ye gawds, took me 3 weeks to finish this tome of a book!

But - it was worth the read. Written in his trademark simple manner, this book is perhaps a little peek into the workings of Tun M's mind. Would love for the book to be more expansive (and if he would be more elaborate as regards the twists in his life!), but at a little over 800 pages, it sure is long enough.

I have always been in awe, sir; and I still am.
Firdaus Tarmizi
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Didn't manage to finish it. A person can only take so much bullshit before he pukes it all out.

I'll jot down a better review once I cool down a bit. Or until this smell of self-righteous, senile, too defensive garbage "memoir" is no longer choking me.
Julie Vitapulchraest
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My wedding gift:). Take longer time to read because I don't want to finish earlier. :P
Nur  Raudhah
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
although I have'nt finish this book yet but i am sure this is a kind of books which full of knowledge..
Abdulrahman
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very important reference for me...to those are seeking for Self development
you should explore this.
Inti
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad is living proof that one man CAN make a difference.
Theqs13 Halim
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
love him or hate him, this book is a must read for those who wish to learn how to administer a country
Fahed S. Al Kerdi
I don't have much words to say. It was nice to read the memories of Tun M. A lot of pictures. A lot of political doctrine. This book portrays Malaysia modern history. A long and respectful political career.

A very long and detailed book, not recommended for those who get bored by long historical content. It is a history book, not a political book.
Daniel Oon Yong Lin
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Mahathir is a brutally honest, loyal and upright person, this biography is the book you should read if you wish to know more about his views, and about the leader that shaped malaysia.

However time has consistently shown that his level of knowledge is not sufficient, it might be the environment that he was brought up in or the lack of continuing education he has received.
One instance, was when he was PM of Malaysia, he still did not know the basics of fractional banking and etc, making malaysia
Saad
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I realy like this book because its about life of the establisher of progressive country called malaysia .
the book is biography and history also life experience. I strongly recomand it I hope I can read it again.
Shameer Nijar
Aik Lim
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
far too long winded and too obviously patronizing.
Hazeanni
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Malaysian
Worth to read and never regret purchasing this book.

Analyzing meaning in between the lines, I could understand better of Tun M Mahathir ways of thinking and works. True statesman.
Rushdan Rozlan
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story about Malaysia. Tun Mahathir, an ordinary village boy turned Doctor who rise from humble beginning to one of the greatest statesman of all time. He shaped the thinking of Malaysians from backward country to a promonent economy in Asia. In this book he shared how he was able to make this a reality, a paradigm shift in thinking and mindset. While he noted that it was not a success, it was a leap from the previous state.

Some notable topic worth reading:

1. Pre independence to the formation of
Lin Rahim
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am very glad that finally I have a chance to read this 843-page book. It is like reading an informal guide on how to be a great leader. Not only various kinds of experiences were shared by Tun in this book, there were also good advices and some humour tales.
Among Tun's advices are :

1) Malays must master the knowledge, wisdom and understanding that can enable them to take the next phase of history and their future into their own hands.

2) Read your materials several times, then you would be
Aiman Azha
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crazy-stories
This is definitely a must read for Malaysians and Malays especially. Despite current controversies surrounding Mahathir, what he achieved during his tenure as the fourth Prime Minister is certainly a remarkable feat for a leader of a developing country. Only after reading this book I finally understood why he is called a "visionary" leader. Since he became a Prime Minister again in 2018, I can't help but to wonder how far of a development will Malaysia achieve if he did not step down in 2003.

Arjunan Selvamani
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written autobiography by Tun Dr. Mahatir. It gives an insightful perspective behind a lot of policies that were implemented during Tun Ms tenure as Prime Minister. He comprehensively summarises the history of the early Malay kingdoms and Malaya. This gives the readers the opportunity to delve into the past and better understand the political and socioeconomic state of present day Malaysia. The book also sheds light on Tun Ms opinions on previous Prime Ministers administrations and ...more
Gracio
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: purchased
Great reading, from pre-independent till 2011. Every topic not only cover that very moment, it cover the "alpha & omega". Love him or hate him, no one on earth can deny he is truly SMART LEGEND! I long for the sequel to be published, covering from 2011-2020. Hopefully get published before GE#15. Stepped-down at age of 78, step-in at age of 93!! Resume his VISION2020 and routing Malaysia back to it's former glory.
Yvonne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
There were many interesting nuggets in this book. In particular, the dimensions of power between the people, the ruling class and the elite and the roles they played in Malaysia. I felt, while reading this that it wasn't written in seating. It seems that different parts of the book were written at different points of Tun's life. Nevertheless, it gave some inclination of what Tun's experience was dealing with young Malaysia.
Gehad
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book illustrating his journey from scratch. I look up to his dignity and faith as he represents the real meaning of our existence on the earth. We are here to work hardly, support needy people, instil discipline, etc. I wish we, as Arabs, had such leader to be at the helm! May Allah bless and reward you.
Wan Hariz
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like how the biography applied simple English to ensure readers get better understanding. Apart from that, the tone of the writing is soft; just like how Tun Dr Mahathir speaks. Not to forget how the biography managed to explain Mahathir's fiscal policy in the simplest way possible.
Aslinda Sofea AbdRahman
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must-have. A must-read.
Dollah Hamidi
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book , my book signed autographs by the author TUN M
Kusma Adika
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Simply five star. Big respect to Tun Mahathir.
كتاب مميز. 1 8 Nov 10, 2014 02:36PM

• The Steal Like an Artist Journal: A Notebook for Creative Kleptomaniacs
  • Puisi Tepi Jalan
  • Aku Ini Binatang Jalang
  • Tora Datang Lagi
Tun Dr. Mahathir bin Mohamad ( born 10 July 1925) (Jawi:محتير بن محمد) was the fourth Prime Minister of Malaysia. He held the post for 22 years from 1981 to 2003, making him Malaysia's longest-serving Prime Minister, and one of the longest-serving leaders in Asia. Mahathir's political career spanned almost 40 years, from his election as a Malaysian federal Member of Parliament in 1964, until his ...more