Start by marking “Sophie's Misfortunes” as Want to Read:
Sophie's Misfortunes

Sophie's Misfortunes

(Fleurville #1)

Sophie is a naughty little girl, she delights in disobeying her mother and engaging in mischievious pranks. Sophie unintentionally melts her favourite wax doll and gets into trouble when she stands outside in the rain to make her hair curl. Why can't she be well behaved like her cousin Paul and her two delightfully sensible friends Camille and Madeleine?

The Author
Sophie
Published December 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster Australia (first published 1857)

Start your review of Sophie's Misfortunes
Anne
Les malheurs de Sophie will forever have a special place in my heart, because it was the book which started it all. My love of reading, my desire to collect books and build my own library, my obsession with the 19th century, my preference for all things historical...this is an important book.

I received it for my 10th birthday, and it was the very first novel I ever owned. At that age, I was already a certified book-lover and I loved reading short novels and comics. I was the kid who got giddy wh
Kate
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, childrens, 2011
I realise this book was written in another era, all the same, I found the mistreatment of Sophie's poor, short lived pets rather alarming and by the end of it, was quite angered at her stupid mother for allowing her young daughter to have yet another pet, which again suffered a horrible death, though the girl was given absolutley no instructions what-so-ever to care for them.
Kirsti
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a French classic, but it kind of made me a little sick. In the course of 214 pages, Sophie kills or witnesses get killed a bowl of fish, a bee, a squirrel, a cat, a bullfinch, a donkey and a tortoise. Every time an animal was introduced I knew it would be dead in a few pages. One or two I can understand, but this macabre procession of dead animals would have terrified me as a child. There is nothing good in Sophie, she's like the spawn of the devil. She constantly lies, fights, disobeys ...more
Paula Koneazny
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
My edition of this rather delightful book is dated 1892 and was once owned by an Aileen Frank at Miss Burke's School. Given to me by a friend back in 1971 or 1972, and carried from house to house until its more-than-a-century-old binding is in tatters, I finally got around to reading Les Malheurs de Sophie.

Les Malheurs de Sophie is a 19th century French children's book, not a novel but rather a series of episodes intended to instruct. These are moral lessons, though much more amusing and less di
Francie
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Les malheurs de Sophie were quite charming and I enjoyed the little more or less connected episodes. Sophie's (mis)adventure were rather hilarious though probably not quite suitable for delicate little children, from wearing a chain made of bugs to burying a doll and accidentally killing a bunch of pets over the course of the book, I sometimes couldn't help staring in mild disbelief.

Due to my poor French I struggled with the original version and ended up alternating between the French original a
Elizabeth
May 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Marie-Claude
am in the process of rereading this childhood book from "la bibliotheque rose"....interessant....
dubious. its not the old fashion that bothers me as much as the obvious impossibilities for a 4 yr old. Either that or kids were a lot more mature in those days-which i kinda doubt
Charlotte
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an exceptional book about a naughty little girl living in france in the 1400's. It is the first book in the trilogy and it is written very well. Sophie gets into all amounts of trouble. It is suitable for ages 5-100 and it is very nice to read at night and hard to put down! I hope you enjoy it!
Clare Cannon
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 08-12yrs
So French and perhaps a little old-fashioned, but refreshingly so. Sophie is always getting up to mischief, and it's delightful reading about it!
Lynn Plourde
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My love of reading came from these books!
Czarny Pies
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Recommended to Czarny by: Simone de Beauvoir
Shelves: french-lit
I discovered e an old edition of this book at a second hand store and bought it for 50 Cents (40 Cents American). I acted on this impulse because I remembered the near hysterical rage with which Simone de Beauvoir described these books which she considered to foul instruments of indoctrination for forming meek, submissive, catholic and bourgeois housewives. Really these tirades which appeared intermittently throughout the Second Sex and Les mémoires d'une jeune fille rangee were intensely comica ...more
Alice
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A classic of short stories of 3 little girls in the French country side under the Second Empire. This is a trilogy. This book is great as the children can relate to the stories despite it being in a different time. It is a great way for children to learn about different times (link to History) and how people lived at the time. Sophie often gets told off by her mother for things that have happened to her rather than she has done which children relate to very well. It is funny and great to read to ...more
Jade Liu
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this children's book after watching the movie version on a plane. I was pleasantly surprised to find a multitude of stories that are not present in the movie, with a very clear central theme that again the movie did not make clear. The author uses simple language to enter and express the mindset and logic of a four-year-old girl in a refreshing, charming manner, and I enjoyed this book as a result and look forward to reading more about Sophie and Paul in the next stories in the serie ...more
Konstanze
There are two amazing facts about this book: one, that my not very good French is actually good enough to follow the plot*, and two, that the human species still exists after 19th century educational methods.

* Granted, it's not overly complicated.**

** It's actually just a lot of animal cruelty so far.
Ashley
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the very first book that got me into reading all those years ago back when i was very young , and I've loved it ever since. It has been translated into English it's called "Sophie's Misfortunes" definitely check other out (: I can't wait to re-read it and continue on with the trilogy x
Csilla
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
It was my first book in French, and I'm just happy that I was able to understand it. :) About Sophie: I don't know if I should laugh at or be horrified by this child. It is a cute novel anyway. Good for kids, future parents (to get prepared) and those who would like to practice French.
Sophie
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-french
loved this one, the plot was extremely enjoyable and the characters likeable. i would have liked to have read it when i was younger, it's such a lovely children's book.
Rebecca
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delight this book was! Read with my daughter before bedtime, we giggled our way through the incredibly daft and naughty things poor Sophie gets up to. Highly enjoyable to read a good story from another era with positive values.
Bridget Hodder
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classicks
Crazy wonderful book that puts the "sick" into "Classic"!! How on earth was this ever considered appropriate for children? Our heroine Sophy's bizarre sociopathic behavior is matched only by her mother and nanny's denial. This book can be found in English if you look hard for it. Not to be missed!
Keith
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can anyone tell me the ending of the series? I came across its animation story while browsing on the Internet and it looked entertaining. Unfortunately, I can't read/ understand French and I can't find English translation of the series in America. Answers and spoilers are most appreciated.
Bárbara
My absolute favourite as a kid.
Emy
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply the book that changed my thoughts and made me the woman I am today.
Tara
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tara by: by my big sister
I loved this book so much
Pam Geemul
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comtesse de Ségur filled my childhood with delight and enchantment and I will always hold fond memories of Sophie and her (mis)adventures!
Lucile
Nov 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, classics
I loved that book when I was younger :D
Maria
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
some good life lessons to learn from this wonderful children book. my son enjoyed it thoroughly
Pauline Hautebert
Beautiful book that helps children learn French.
Ruby
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All time favourite book. This is the funniest and best book in the entire world. Everyine go a=and read it now. You will thank me.
Cinta
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book
W
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
Read this solely for childhood nostalgia as used to love the cartoon adaptation. However, although I’m aware this is a 19’s century children’s book I still couldn’t get over how repetitive the storyline in each chapter was, and the fact that there weren’t any kind of character development whatsoever. Also, sophie’s mistreatment of animals and how emotionally manipulative her parents were by guilt tripping their 4 year old child were horrific. Wouldn’t recommend.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sophie's Misfortunes is a French children's classic. Sophie is four and is always disobeying her mother. With terrible results. Especially for animals.

This was an awful translation. Especially awful were the incorrect pronouns. I only know a little French, but I think I could have done better than this.

Nevertheless, it's the first time I've found an English translation. I suppose it's better than nothing.

Of course it's on the 1001 Children's Book list.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Could you please add the page number? 3 17 Jul 26, 2019 05:43PM

• Le Médecin Malgré Lui
  • La Gloire de mon père
  • Poil de Carotte
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • Les Fourberies de Scapin
  • La Sorcière de la Rue Mouffetard, et Autres Contes de la Rue Broca
  • Fables
  • Le château de ma mère (Souvenirs d'enfance, #2)
  • La Petite Fadette
  • Le Petit Nicolas
  • Le Petit Nicolas et Les Copains
  • Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
  • Le Cid
  • Je savais que je te rencontrerais (La Rose écarlate #1)
  • Le Malade imaginaire
  • La Nuit des temps
  • Ruy Blas
  • La Controverse de Valladolid
Sophie, Countess of Ségur (née Countess Софья Фёдоровна Ростопчина; Saint Petersburg, 1 August 1799 - Paris, 9 February 1874) was a French writer of Russian birth.

She is best known today for her novel Les Malheurs de Sophie ("Sophie's Misfortunes"). The action takes place in a castle in the French countryside during the Second French Empire, where Sophie lives with her parents Mr and Mrs de Réan.

Fleurville (3 books)
  • Les petites filles modèles
  • Les vacances (Trilogie de Fleurville, #3)