Start by marking “A Love Letter from a Stray Moon” as Want to Read:
A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

In this fictional tour de force Jay Griffiths, author of the acclaimed Wild, creates a portrait of the artist Frida Kahlo—her devastating accident and her love for Diego Rivera—that is also a celebration of the spirit of poetry and the art of rebellion.
Published September 10th 2013 by Text Publishing Company (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Love Letter from a Stray Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Love Letter from a Stray Moon

Start your review of A Love Letter from a Stray Moon
Emma McCleary
May 17, 2011 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this book - I mean, it's billed as a poetic re-imagining of the life of Frida Kahlo; I expected a dense story with all the passion and intensity of Frida Kahlo herself.

However, having read Frida Kahlo's diary, a book of letters she wrote and others texts - having seen the film Frida and having recently read another take on her story, The Lacuna, I was disappointed.

At times there were glimpses of what I was looking for - in the description of her life during the times pain
Brenna Heagney
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
The language was beautiful for 47 pages and then it just got annoying.
K
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Forced and incredibly self-conscious. I wanted to love this but really did not.

No plot to speak of, clearly derivative of the central autobiography of her life. This really does not do her justice.
Heema Shirvaikar
The book is a poetic re-imagination of Frida Kahlo's life - written in first person as though narrated by her. While it has some really beautiful quotes, the language gets SO POETIC at times that it's a drag to read after a while, sometimes even bordering into plain annoying and I was tempted to skip pages.

However, the poetic narration did make a few incidences in her life quite a lot more emotional to read about - particularly, her accident and miscarriage. It probably wouldn't have been as gu
Thomas Goddard
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jay Griffiths has created a true portrait and merely has to call it fiction because Kahlo herself can't sign it off. When I die, I hope that someone with the skill, passion and confidence Griffiths owns will write something like this for me.

I think, as much as we can know someone, that knowing is a form of loving when you do it right. And you have to be in love, in order to accurately convey their essence to someone who cannot know them.

The text itself. Like a love letter shredded up and used as
Chris Perley
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this wonderful poetic book so much I gave my lovely hardback away, and bought two others for friends. And now I sit, thinking, why didn’t I jealously guard this treasure, so I could reach for it whenever I feel the urge to pick it up and smile, opening a random page on some random memory.

I need another copy. Beautiful. Beautiful.
Luhana Ahuáctzin
No fue lo que esperaba, especialmente la segunda mitad.
Kirstin
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm a lifelong lover of Friday Kahlo. Her life, her ideals, her work, all of it, always.
So this book intrigued me as a concept. I believe that this piece originates from in a similar state of reverence and admiration; giving Frida an omnipresent first person narrative with an idealistic stream of consciousness flow. However it consistently, and predominantly comes off as a vehicle for personal convictions and beliefs by the writer.
If you're an admirer of Kahlo and want to get a better s
Amelia
May 26, 2011 added it
Recommends it for: Art lovers or those who like their literature to have a strong voice
I read this a year ago when I was sent an ARC that I had won from Text Publishing. As a reader who's 'real life' is as an art student, I fell in love instantly.
What I said then and still stand by today:

Lyrical, crude, engaging and rebellious. - A Love Letter from a Stray Moon is the essence, heart and art that was the life of Frida Kahlo. Jay Griffiths has captured and presented the tale in a way that isn’t just a story, but an adventure the reader experiences as they traverse the pages. For lo
Charlotte
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The same as others have said - I wanted enjoy this book, but I alas. The provocative and beautiful prose are overshadowed by a feeling she is trying very hard to become Kahlo, to see the world as she saw it. This is an impossible task as she was a unique soul with her own worldview, and unfortunately this slightly misses the mark and comes across as very self indulgent.
Elizabeth Eames
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful language!spell binding language! I enjoyed the poetry of the words very much. I did feel like I was watching the movie..Frida...as quite a few of the quotes were in that movie. I am not sure it is an accurate picture of what Frida would think but it is a work of fiction, so who cares. Just enjoy the language.
Loril Palomares
Tenía ganas de leer sobre Frida Kahlo, pero este libro no mostró todo lo que pensaba. No está mal, sin embargo hay partes donde se me hizo monótono y un poco aburrido. Quizás mis expectativas eran demasiado altas.
Susan
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a tiny book with a huge canvas. While it occasionally misses the mark, the language is startling. Frida Kahlo is the subject of the book and so all the things I know about her come into the novel, but Jay Griffiths adds more, adds an emotional level that grips you.
Wanda
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful poetic account of Frida's life...with Jay Griffiths use of language spilling from a spice box! This is a book that sings to you...felt as though I was breathing in a part of Frida Kahlo! ...more
Valeria Ponce moreno
pasable esperaba más
Tere
Feb 04, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Siempre quise tener alas. Para volar a donde pertenezco, para convertirme en lo que soy, para decir mis verdades, alada y bajo la influencia de la luna...
Martina
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes me want to go to the moon and kiss her cold, solitary lips.
Alma

• Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Expressive Sketchbooks: Developing Creative Skills, Courage, and Confidence
  • Blonde
  • Hilma af Klint: Paintings for the Future
  • Garnethill (Garnethill #1)
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Tiger's Wife
  • Celestial Bodies
  • The Year of the Runaways
Jay Griffiths was born in Manchester and studied English Literature at Oxford University. She spent a couple of years living in a shed on the outskirts of Epping Forest and has travelled the world, but for many years she has been based in Wales.