Start by marking “Compass” as Want to Read:
Compass

Compass

The Compass is a life transformation novel that will guide you on a journey of self-discovery. At the core of The Compass are specific lessons about belief systems and understanding who you really are in order to live out your destiny. Jonathan, the main character, escapes his suburban life after a tragedy that alters his plans for the future. Paralyzed by grief, he decide ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by New York;Vanguard Pr.,2009. (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Compass

David
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. The book had some lessons to tell, and was most certainly interesting. Yet the story felt fake and contrived. I believe in destiny and listening to your inner voice, as well as meeting the people that you need at a particular moment. But this story didn't seem remotely possible. Plus the explanations/lessons at the end seemed to take away from the book rather than add. The book was compared to The Alchemist, yet the alchemist was abstact enough for someone to draw their own conclusions/lesso ...more
Samantha
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't very impressed with this book. I feel like all books about "finding yourself" that include travel are stories that really only apply to people with money. Whatever happened to the lesson of The Wizard of Oz, that happiness is to be found in your own backyard?
Keith
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been enamored with self-help books, self-help speakers or other such supportive paraphernalia but somehow I ended up with this book. Okay, I thought it was a novel and it had a slick dust jacket with a hiker on the cover and I was in a hurry, so I bought it. It claims to be “a novel that will guide you on a journey of self-discovery”. It may be fiction but it’s not a novel---unless you consider a string of incidents held together by a story, as full of holes as a piece of Swiss cheese ...more
Christianne
This book aims to inspire readers but what it did to me I started to question some realist in the book. It never inspired me nor motivates me. I actually started asking some realistic fact in the life of Jonathan. People are always lost and travelling are just suited to those who has money, what if those people who are lost doesn't have enough money. So that means they can't find their selves.

Also, I'll almost rated this as four but somehow reaching the end part I changed my mind. I wasn't conv
Jim
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Compass contains nothing that you don't get in a self-help book. The characters seem to have almost instantaneous self-discoveries.
Pam Hernandez
The book by itself is ok, the group promoting the book feels phony for me.
Jo Anne
Nov 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A watered down The Alchemist.
Nisaar Abdul
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When started reading it it seem like a very depressing book, focused on despair. and I even give up bring it Halfway but later when I picked it up and read it for 4 hours straight, it seemed then like a very inspiring and motivating book. Turns out the depressing part was only half of the book and the motivating part was the remaining half. unlike other inspiring books this book is more balanced in real estate and doesn't give floating advices. Formatted like a story, rhe motivating parts of it ...more
Sandra
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you find a book and sometimes book found you. I think this one finds me and I really liked it. It is true that maybe the story goes fast or something is missing but I liked it this way. After every few words, you need to stop and think about what is written there. I think this book is really like a compass, guiding you when you least expected to find a guide.
Kathryn Ryder
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-shelf, owned
Not what I expected. Very philosophical yet surprisingly a light read considering the heaviness of the tragedy that began the story.
Bayan Al hijjawi
After finishing this book, and for the first time I can say that a one must pause for a moment, stop listing all “to do stuff” take a deep breath and examine the authenticity of his/her life.
Kay Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published by Vanguard Press, The Compass (ISBN-10: 1593155425, ISBN-13: 9781593155421) by Tammy Kling and John Spencer Ellis is a soul stirring narrative of one man’s journey into the depths of self discovery. Following a terrible accident involving Johnathan’s wife and young daughter, he can no longer stand the life he finds himself living. Johnathan simply walks away from it all one day and travels amongst unfamiliar lands and people.

During his unplanned trek Johnathan encounters characters wh
Gail Lipe
The book is a metaphor for the journey of life we all face, with its ups and downs, peaks and valleys. Life lessons about belief systems, authenticity, self-empowerment, believing in dreams and understanding who you truly are permeate the pages. It is meant to move the reader to contemplate the question: "What will move your inner compass?"
A good book as we get closer to the end of the year, when people view the last year and make goals for the next? The book is a quick read with deep questions.
Sandra
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the inside cover...The Compass ia a metaphor for the journey of our lives. In the tradition of The Alchemist, The Compass provides you with specific life lessons about authenticity, self-impowerment, and believing in your dreams. As humans we are all connected - by love, pain, and sometimes even by tragedies or events we cannot control. Each one of us travels a unique path, yet are linked by experiences and emotions. In this connectiveness, there is life. This book is a novel, with a powerf ...more
Noya
Aug 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book in two working days. Imagine that, i was able to finish it with all the deadlines to meet. this book is similar to the plot of the Alchemist. but what so great about this book is that it is about real people in our time. so it easy to relate to. This book is about the "Valleys of Life", the ups and downs. Worth reading!!! my favorite lines on this book are: "The unexamined life is not worth living"......Sometimes you must let go of the life you had planned in order to make a r ...more
phazleeanna
Everyone has a compass that is embedded deep within. The compass bears direction at all times, at all directions and it is up to oneself -- either to follow suit or just leave it unattended. The compass will always lead to directions that are unknown of. But what is life without risks?

"Be alive, Jonathan. Old pain is like an anchor. Let it go." -Marilyn & Toin
Mikasa Sirad-Amerol
Somewhat similar to Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, this book is filled with life lessons that will make you think twice about your current situation, your goals, your priorities, your relationships with other people, and the way you look about life.
Caprice
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to anyone who is beyond contemplating change and ready to break ground! It is not a book to be criticized, if one does not like it, then it is an active choice to refute the good this book can exude into ones mind.
Chica
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that made me cry. It is a novel that talks about how to live and move on after getting scarred in life by learning how to forgive and find a way out of tragedy, despite the despair and death of some of our dreams and remembering, "there can be magic in ordinary things."
Nadder Hani
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how the book is written. Telling a story and revolving around a main character that stumbles upon and experiences a lot of different encounters. And through these encounters, reflections are made upon the message this book is intended to deliver.
Teresa
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not a big fan od self-help books this one quite won my heart over! I felt a great joy while reading it. It has a great message of hope for the lost ones, like myself. I recomended it to everyone!
Wella
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, so far is one of my favourites. I was really amazed by how jonathan continued his life after what happened to his family, Though he got lost, he still managed to live up to his journey and pick up each of his broken pieces.
Maria Montemayor
“...none of us knows anything. we think we know, then it turns out that we don't. the universe has a way of intervening. of changing you. in the end, you don't know what you're seeking, and you don't know what you'll find.” ― tammy kling, the compass
José
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read

A must read for anyone who's doing some soul searching! Reminded me of The Alchemist, but the setting is our time.
Kimberly Badocdoc
I like this novel because it tells about a story of a lost soul. I was really inspired by this novel to travel across Europe alone. This is actually one of the things in my bucket list.
Gina
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the only self-help book I've read. It was by accident, but I liked it and felt very motivated.
Fernando
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes you must let go of the life you had planned in order to make room for the life ahead of you"
Nina Lenciano
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has so many quotable quotes that will help you realize things.
Annette
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick Read. Well written, interesting story with lots of metorphorical messages.The author gives the reader a lot to think about.
Joel Shappell
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty heady stuff. But if you like nautical stories/histories it's worth the read.

• The ABCs of Journaling
  • The Jesus Life: Eight Ways to Recover Authentic Christianity
  • Law of Connection: The Science of Using NLP to Create Ideal Personal and Professional Relationships
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • Paano Ba 'To?! (How to Survive Growing Up)
  • The Company
  • Wait for Me
  • The Big Book of Brain Games: 1,000 PlayThinks of Art, Mathematics  Science
  • When Do The Good Things Start?
  • By The Time You Read This
  • Kid Cooperation: How to Stop Yelling, Nagging, and Pleading and Get Kids to Cooperate
  • The Essential Kahlil Gibran
  • Mind into Matter: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit
  • The Last Kestrel
  • Selected Poetry
  • Alice in the Looking Glass: A Mother and Daughter's Experience of Anorexia
  • The 5-Minute Iliad and Other Instant Classics: Great Books For The Short Attention Span
  • Make Peace With Anyone: Breakthrough Strategies to Quickly End Any Conflict, Feud, or Estrangement
Tammy Kling is an international author and literary coach to the world's leading CEO's, celebrities and individuals who want to pursue their dreams of writing a book. Her work has been featured in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Dateline NBC, Extra and Primetime.
“...none of us knows anything. We think we know, then it turns out that we don't. The universe has a way of intervening. Of changing you. In the end, you don't know what you're seeking, and you don't know what you'll find.” 5 likes
“Old pain is an anchor.” 2 likes