Start by marking “A Victorian Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Victorian Christmas

A Victorian Christmas

Five holiday stories set in Victorian England or America that reflect the old-fashioned romantic charm of this popular era. This collection features tales by Patricia Gaffney, Bettina Krahn, Edith Layton, Mary Jo Putney, and Patricia Rice.
Published November 1st 1992 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about A Victorian Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Victorian Christmas

Carol Storm
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The best Signet anthology I ever bought -- hands down!

And that's really only based on two stories, KIDNAPPED FOR CHRISTMAS by Betina Krahn and THE BLACK BEAST OF BELLETERRE by Mary Jo Putney. Either one of those stories would have been worth the purchase price of the whole book.

KIDNAPPED is a warm, funny, almost zany story about a lovely blonde school teacher, a no-good London millionaire, and his irresistable daughter. Even though she's lost a step on the base paths, in those days (twenty year
Penney
Nov 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love these!
Agnes
Jul 22, 2010 added it
Shelves: victorian-era
Worth it for the Mary Jo Putney story, "Black Beast of Belleterre" an obvious retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story.
Aneca
Jul 01, 2008 rated it liked it
A collection of five holiday stories, each set in Victorian England or America, by Patricia Gaffney, Edith Layton, Patricia Rice, Bettina Krahn, and Mary Jo Putney, reflects the old-fashioned charm of this popular era.

Edith Layton - Bird of Paradise
A young woman works to support herself and her small brother who gets in trouble when he tries to sell the turkey she got as a Christmas bonus. They are helped by a young man who is very attracted to her. I think the characters lacked some interest a
Karen
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
First of all, I don't know where the name Salvatore Raimondo comes from, I don't see it anywhere between the covers of this book. *shrug*

Now to the reviews. I liked the first story, "The Bird of Paradise". It was a sweet little story with humor coming in the form of a very large plucked turkey that gets dragged from pillar to post yet still remains fresh for Christmas dinner.

"Christmas Angel" was all right, though kind of depressing, what with the search for a lost boy.

Thumbs down on "Second Cha
Rose
As with most anthologies, there were some good stories and some bad. In this case, despite a rather weak beginning, the anthology definitely picked up in the end, with lovely stories by Betina Krahn and Mary Jo Putney.

The Bird of Paradise by Edith Layton
I felt like I was missing part of the story. Things happened without sufficient explanation. And I didn't really feel any connection between the characters. It seemed as if the hero basically bullied the heroine into a betrothal after stalking he
Marimarime
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rating for Mary Jo Putney`s Beast of Belleterre
For B&Beast maniacs it`s a true gem.
Oh I loved it even if it`s love on first sight for a beastly hero(36) who sees pretty and young girl and is enchanted. But I am enchanted with the story with his nobleness, rose petals over her, a sketch that he framed,sheltered animals,loyal servants,how he lets her leave... a bit disappointed in the revelation of his injuries,though it`s probably hard for a child a grown men hiding in a hooded mantel becau
Souline
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

first of all I like those kind of books , And when I read It I start image the story , And Actually

I like to read those book in the same holiday , I think because I started imagine that I'm in the story ,

And I know the sound Is weird ??!. But I liked , And also IT IS short story too, So IT's easy to read too.
AND that Is all.
Linda
THE BIRD OF PARADISE by Edith Layton 2*s for 'OK'. The 'bird' is actually a turkey that brings two young people together. At 51 pages it is very short and feels rushed.

CHRISTMAS ANGEL by Patricia Rice 2*s It might have been better if the heroine was a pleasant woman, not prone to judging unfairly.

SECOND CHANCE by Patricia Gaffney 1* Man returns after years of being away. The woman he loves is suppose to marry someone else. I found this story hard to believe.

KIDNAPPED FOR CHRISTMAS by Betina Kr
LaFleurBleue
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, romance-histo
I picked this anthology (a format I am usually not very fond of) as I found it at the thriftshop and I really wanted to read something from Patricia Gaffney for already a while. Putney and Layton seemed like bonuses.
The Bird of Paradise – Edith Layton
2 stars – Not very enthralling to read. No character was really appealing, neither was the story. It felt rushed and fake
Christmas Angel – Patricia Rice
1.5 stars – A plot around a big misunderstanding and hiding of his own identity, very quickly sol
Jaime
I picked this one up for the fifth title on the roster, Mary Jo Putney's Black Beast of Belleterre, because it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, my favorite fairy tale. I was not disappointed; I'm sure I'll be rereading that one. I give it 4.5 stars.

My ratings for the other entries:

The Bird of Paradise by Edith Layton, 4 stars
A Christmas Angel by Patricia Rice, 1 star
A Second Chance by Patricia Gaffney, 2 stars
Kidnapped For Christmas by Bettina Krahn, 3 stars

☆Ruth☆
The fifth book I've abandoned this week as not worth the effort of trying to finish.
J.D.
THE BLACK BEAST OF BELLETERRE
Frances
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally, a good Christmas anthology.
Jujubee
Absolutely delightful. Well written, witty dialogs, romantic holiday reads. A true treasure.
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
The last two stories were the best with the 5th being my favorite.
Allison
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
They were all good, but my favorite was the last one; a take off of beauty and the beast
Alice
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Regency Christmas IV
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
  • One Candlelit Christmas (The MacLerie Clan #4.5) (Wellingfords #2.5)
  • Christmas Getaway: An Anthology
  • Christmas Revels (The Circle of Friends)
  • A Regency Christmas
  • A Christmas Present
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 2
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Emma, Vol. 04
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college, G