Start by marking “Whispers on the Wind” as Want to Read:
Whispers on the Wind

Whispers on the Wind

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  357 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Belinda Latham travels from Nantucket, Massachusetts to Cornwall, England to claim her inheritance… Radborne Manor. She arrives on a dark and stormy night and can find no coach driver who will take her to the manor. She learns why from the inhabitants of the local inn. It seems that Belinda has inherited more than just the manor. She has also inherited a ghost and not just ...more
Published (first published March 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers on the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers on the Wind

Bwmurf
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tracy
Cultures Collide Most Charmingly
Having been raised in Nantucket, Massachusetts, where wives and children of husbands and fathers who spent far more time away at sea than at home learned quickly to rely on themselves, Belinda Latham considered herself a modern and independent American woman. The year was 1808, and following the tragic death of her mother, stepfather, and uncle, Billie was alone in the world and virtually penniless when she received word from Cornwall, England, that she was the so
Nіsha
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2011-reads
Okay, I have to go right into how I felt about this book. I absolutely loved this book, it was so enticing and grabbed my attention in an instant! Even the synopsis just pulled me in. The characters in this story are so well defined and I loved how Belinda was portrayed. Belinda is the outspoken, intelligent, clever woman, an absolute match for Maximillian who as you guessed is an arrogant yet handsome man. I enjoy reading stories that set back in the 19th or even older centuries where the women ...more
Cruth
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Author: Donna Fletcher
First published: 1997
Length: 6583 locations
Setting: Cornwall, England, 1808
Sex: Frequent and explicit.
Hero 1: Lord of the manor. Arrogant, stern. Dead.
Hero 2: Vicar. Caring, thoughtful.
Heroine: Bright, free 20yo American (from Nantucket) with no family left.
Paranormal: Light paranormal with ghosts.

Completely anachronistic story with some twisty turns and explicit sex.

It wasn't a great historical by any means.

But it was fun.

And Billie made me smile.

It's a Why not? book where
Bronwyn
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Fun to watch a stubborn women and a proud man interact intelligently. Even though you think you know what is going on you can't absoluelty be sure. Just that little hint of could it be?
Is he a ghost or isn't he . Who is the bad guy?
Set in a wonderful English Manor with a village of people that have secrets.
Tina
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very enjoyable read with a nice little twist which I didn't figure out until the author mentioned it. I had my suspicions but the outcome was different than what I had in mind. It was cleverly created. For a fun, keep-a-smile-on-your-face read, this is the one!
Elaine
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I like this book so much better than the last one I read by this author! Maybe a 4.5 but it is a good book!
Sandra
$0.99 on Nook
Tairy Tairy
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Above and beyond expectations

I love Billie and max. It was so awesome how everything was put together and the turn of events that occurred and led to them to finally getting the answers. Would most definitely read again.
Paranormal Romance
With the death of her parents and her brother, there is nothing holding the heroine to her home town of Nantucket. So when she is name sole heir to an estate in England, she thanks her good fortune and sets out for her new life. Upon arrival in the small village, she soon learns that her new home is haunted by the frightening but much beloved spirt of it's previous owner. Afraid of ghosts, but possessing a strong sense of courage, she nether the less stakes claim to her new ownership. The first ...more
Gloriamarie
May 30, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly and gee whiz. Could we at least have an appearance of verisimilitude?

One thing I am adamant about is the implied contract between author and reader. If you the author expect me the reader to spend my money on your hard labor, then your hard labor had better be good labor and not laziness.

This author is lazy. Also insulting to a woman's intelligence.

I think the reason I am so distressed is because this book almost makes it. The grammar is excellent. The vocabulary is excellent. The punc
Kimi Court
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Whispers on the Wind, By Donna FletcherThis was a wonderful book. It was a mystery and love story all rolled in one. You have the Heroin Billie, who lost her family (Mother, Step Father), sold everything and moved. She inherited a mansion from her stepfather’s uncle. Max is a ghost who has not went into the light. He is a rogue, and devilishly handsome, and until she is able to find the reason of his demise, he will haunt her. What she doesn’t realize is he not only haunts her room, but her hear ...more
Joelle
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cute story. Fast paced and enjoyable. Belinda's and Max's romance spark right from the bringing . Once arriving to her new town and home her ears are filled with tales of a haunted castle being haunted by Lord Maximillian (MAX). She thinks she is losing her mind seeing a ghost talking to bantering with him at every turn. She can't help herself is she falling in falling love with him ? She strikes and bargain with him to find evidence who murdered himself and also his father so that the ol ...more
Cherie
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, owned
Bit of a paranormal as there is a ghost aspect. Belinda (Billie) and Maximillan are a very hot couple who show almost no restraint with each other. In between sex scenes they are trying to discover who murdered Max's father and also wants him dead. The story is rife with secret passages, secret relationships and more secrets.

This was a fun read that slowed down a couple of times but not too much. Billie is a refreshing heroine who plays a humorous part to Maximillan's serious authoritative lord
Rosemarie Short
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
What I remember most about this novel is how I spent two days reading pretty much non-stop to reach a climax which was...well, just plain silly. I suppose the direction the mid-ending takes could be construed as daring but honestly I just didn't buy it. Which was a shame because I think there was a lot of potential here and I wouldn't write this author off just from this one novel. For some there might have been no problem but for me it was a bit of a let down.
camille stephens
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Couldn't put it down. Had to know what I as going on. Had you guessing for a while and then when you find out who then you just can't believe it. You should've known the whole time. The clues were there. Great love story and I loved the plot.
Tonya
Aug 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I absolutely love Donna Fletcher, so I have to say that I really hate to give one of her books a low rating but I just could not get into this one. It was a DNF for me. There just wasn't anything in the book that kept me interested.
Evelyn Wilson
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books-read
Oh this book was fun to read. A young American girl, looses her parents and relatives in Nantucket, moves to England, alone. Ghosts, love reading about ghosts and you will be surprised how this works out. The manor, the small village, the residents. The ale. ENJOYED, ENJOY !!!
Pamela(AllHoney)
American Belinda Latham inherits an estate in Cornwall, plus the ghost of the previous owner, Maximillan Radborne, Earl of Strathorn. It was a surprisingly fun read for me. It wasn't too light and fluffy, nor was it too dark and gloomy.
Marie Staton
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting story. Spoiler alert

Started off slow. Though I did enjoy the story. Intriguing waiting to see if Max was real or a ghost and how it would affect Belinda. Character very passionate.
Sara
The heroine was a bit of an idiot, but other than that it was ok. I mean hello, you couldn't figure this shit out?
Lisa
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Started off slow, but my God, did it get good!!
Barbara
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the story-ghosts, love, HEA. I solved the ghost story easily but it didn't take away from the story.
Kelly
Aug 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What was I thinking.
Delvonie
May 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as romances go, this was pretty good. It was a little dirty, and it was about ghost. But the ending was awesome, it made me cry happy tears.
Wendy
Jun 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this 3.5 stars. Nice chemistry but a bit predictable.
Jen
May 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not bad for a free book from BN.
~Leslie~
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book-nook
Enjoyable ghost story romance. I would actually give it 3.5 stars if I could. Some of the writing seemed a little forced or simplistic. But I liked the characters and liked the story line.
Donna A.
I enjoyed this
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bound by the Heart
  • The Pagan's Prize (Captive Brides #3)
  • Catriona
  • A Winter Ballad
  • Simon's Lady
  • Fate's Monolith (MacLomain, #1)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters, #1)
  • The Earl Next Door
  • Wild Passion (Wild, #3)
  • The Cornish Heiress
  • The Dream Spell
  • Bound By Blood
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • The Mudlark