Start by marking “Dumpster Dying (Big Lake Murder Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dumpster Dying (Big Lake Murder Mysteries, #1)

Dumpster Dying

(Big Lake Murder Mysteries #1)

Emily Rhodes came to rural Florida for the cowboys, the cattle, and to do a little country two-step, not to fall head first onto a dead body in a dumpster. Ah, the golden years of retirement in the sunshine state. They're more like pot metal to Emily Rhodes, who discovers the body of the county's wealthiest rancher in the Big Lake Country Club dumpster. With her close frie ...more
Published January 25th 2011 by Dark Oak Mysteries

To ask other readers questions about Dumpster Dying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dumpster Dying

Rebecca Douglass
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I maybe had an especial appreciation of the fact that the main character isn't a sweet young thing, but a mature woman. I might relate better to Emily than some (okay, I really relate to her inability to keep from spilling things on her shirt-front). Besides Emily, the book has a strong cast of characters, some of whom are characters in the sense we mean when we say "he's a real character." And everyone seems to have some kind of secret.

The writing is tight and we
Laura Thomas
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beautiful state of Florida. People are either born there, die there, retire there, or enjoy a lovely visit. For Emily Rhodes, it’s one of those, and maybe two, since she’s stuck her nose in a murder investigation.

When a prominent rancher is murdered and Emily’s friend is accused of the murder, she pulls out all the stops to prove her innocence, although there’s the risk of painting a target on her own back.

I can’t help but fall for Emily. She’s like me, no longer a spring chicken but still a
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
Dumpster Dying by Lesley A. Diehl is the first book in the Big Lake Murder Mysteries Series. This series is set in Florida and features Emily Rhodes. Emily finds herself wrapped up in a murder case, and, eventually, a second case. With the police watching her, suspicion cast on her boss/best friend Clara, a person from her past showing up, a court case, and a possible new love interest (or two), Emily is up to her ears in stress.

In Dumpster Dying, the author was able to write a story that had me
Deana Dick
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
With all the fascinating characters this book has to offer, mystery fans are sure to find this a page turner. Emily has found herself becoming a bartender at a country club after a sudden death finds her all alone. Poor Emily can't seem to catch a break when she finds a dead body in the dumpster outside the club. She now must deal with not only her partners ex-wife in a dispute over an estate, but the a dead body dumped at her work. I found Emily to me a bit annoying. It's hard to believe that e ...more
Sherry Lynn
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Lesley A. Diehl is rapidly become a favorite! She has done it again with the Big Lake Murder Mysteries featuring Emily Rhodes recently widowed/retired preschool teacher.
When Fred her husband that is not actually her husband dies
Emily is left realizing she's gonna have to get a job. And, she's mad at dead Fred. Who expected this?

While she struggles to figure out how to make ends meet a neighbor friend suggests Emily become a bartender. It seems the neighbors all agree Emily is great tending ba
Elisha
Jun 05, 2017 marked it as to-read
We all know what they say about Florida....you either retire there, visit there, move there, or were born there. Right? Although I visited there once for a couple weeks and thoroughly enjoyed the sun and warm rain (I'm from Seattle - our rain is cold.), I am a city girl and will always love my Seattle although I would love to live in New York. Anyway...
This is the first installment in the Big Lake Murder Mysteries, and it is set in Florida. Emily Rhodes, I really liked her. I think she is very r
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
What an intriguing town in this mystery. I live in Texas and so usually think of the wild west being here and a bit further west, not in a sleepy little town in Florida with alligators.

I liked most of the characters and they played well off one another and really rounded out the story. Emily and Clara have a unique friendship that works for them and their family members really include each other as well. There are of course busy bodies in the town that you think are on your side...until they ar
Teresa
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Retired school teacher Emily has moved to South Florida, she has just lost her life partner to a sudden death. She is fighting with his Ex Wife over the estate and, she finds the body of a wealthy rancher in the dumpster outside the Country Club she tends bar at. Now she needs to help find the real killer to save her friend who has been accused of the murder. When it rains it pours.

Wow what a book. There is always something going on. No Dead spots so to speak. The story is fast moving and keeps
Teresa Kander
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Emily Rhodes is not your typical crime solver. She is a petite blonde retired preschool teacher with a penchant for forgetfulness and basically an accident looking for a place to happen. And she's not a "sweet young thing," either, as she is just shy of fifty.

Emily has just recently lost her love of ten years to a heart attack, and finds herself in a precarious legal situation as they were never married, and he never changed his will after his divorce...which means fighting his ex-wife for the
Laura Reading
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you never thought of Florida as the Wild West, you will after reading this!
Fires and Gators and murder - oh my!
These are trying times for Emily Rhodes, who is still reeling from the loss of her long time love. Sadly, he was not her legal husband. Ex-es are making trouble for everyone no matter which way one turns throughout these pages.

There are plenty of men around this retirement community. Is any the sort one wants to see more than once - - if he can stay alive that long!
This is a strong n
Valerie
4 out of 5 stars.

I had a little trouble getting into this book, but once I did, I enjoyed it. At first, I felt a little confused about what was going on and why. I think I got one of the subplots mixed up with the main plot. I believe part of that were my own issues and mindset at the time and not the actual writing.

The characters in the book are well-rounded, complex, and interesting. The more I've read, the more I've started liking them. Our heroines take some chances, but they're not the "too
R.P. Dahlke
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Emily Rhodes is, as Detective Stanton Lewis likes to think, “Not much bigger than one of Santa’s Elves.” She’s petite and blond, cute as a button, on the young side of fifty and on the wrong side of luck when her love of ten years keels over from a heart attack.
Bartending at the Big Lake Country Club in the heart of Florida cowboy country seems like a fit, she gets paid, likes her boss Carla, and there’s always golf with some girlfriends when she can work it in.
Unfortunately, life gets complica
Laurel-Rain
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the very first page of this funny, suspenseful, and colorful tale set in rural Florida, I felt connected to the character Emily Rhodes.

Expecting to enjoy her golden years with her long-time partner, her life is not at all turning out the way she planned. First of all, her partner Fred dies abruptly, and because they're not married, and because he apparently didn't write a new will, his ex-wife is suing her for the estate. The estate isn't much, but Emily is fond of her little winter home—th
Marja McGraw
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Rhodes finds a body in a dumpster. From that point on, her life changes in ways she never would have imagined. I won't give the story away. You'll want to read Dumpster Dying though, and I promise it will entertain you. Good storyline, good characters, and humor. What more could you ask for?

Lesley Diehl is an author who left me wanting more, and I'll be watching for other books with her name on the cover.
Pauline
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book, never a dull moment.....can't wait to read more of Lesley Diehl's books. Good story line, good characters, very funny, was very entertained.
Boyko Ovcharov
Marilyn
Elena Tuya
Dorthy Silver
Aug 13, 2011

Big Lake Murder Mysteries (2 books)
  • Grilled, Chilled and Killed (Big Lake Murder Mysteries, #2)