Start by marking “I Sleep at Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets” as Want to Read:
I Sleep at Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets

I Sleep at Red Lights: A True Story of Life After Triplets

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Bruce Stockler captures the chaos, joy and challenges of becoming the father of triplets in this hilarious, fast-paced, and refreshingly honest memoir.

From the moment Stockler and his wife ,Roni, learn they have hit the fertility jackpot, their lives are turned upside down. The day the babies are born—in an operating room bustling with 30 doctors, nurses and technicians—is
Published July 1st 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Sleep at Red Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Sleep at Red Lights

Lena
Aug 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of small children
Shelves: memoir
This book was recommended by a friend who is the mother of twins. She thought it was hilarious. Since I don’t have kids, I found this tale of a stay-at-home-dad of triplets and a three-year-old a bit more of a horror story. I did enjoy parts of the book, as Stockler is a skilled storyteller who brings humor and life to his chronicle of raising his unruly brood while his wife worked 100-hour weeks for a New York law firm. But the book does get a little repetitive as he relates the logistical impo ...more
AJ P
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I picked this up because it was about parenting from a father's perspective, which I always appreciate since there are many fewer books from that side of things, and since he was a mostly staty-at-home dad I thought it would be interesting - plus, it was supposed to be funny since he does humor writing.

I found it only OK. I liked that he was very honest - raising triplets and an older (by two years) boy is HARD and he doesn't sugar coat that. They never have enough time, money, energy, and their
Douglas Lord
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Stockler, a columnist for Esquire, offers frank and funny scenes from his life with triplets from before birth to around age four. Compounding the insanity is a two-year-old son and a wife who works more than 80 hours a week. After losing his job, he becomes a stay-at-home dad and describes life with his kids as "a miniature Cirque du Soleil" and "a breakaway republic." The stred lightsory's sole wistful aspect comes when Stockler's beloved mother dies. Engaging and observant, this will charm re ...more
Sara
Oct 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: multiples
After having twins, I love to read anything and everything about multiples to try and gain more insight as to how to raise them. This particular book was not very helpful. Seen from the dad's point of view, I expected to be entertained by this comedy writer's take. However, I found the storyline was far from stimulating, and I found myself going back to reread what I had just finished because it just didn't hold my attention.

Perhaps this story was uncompelling to me because I just could not rela
Hillary
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is a series of chronological essays on parenting triplets. Bruce Stockler has written comedy for Jay Leno, which is hardly a recommendation, but I found this book to be amusing and interesting. His wife works 90 hours a week as a laywer, so all night and evening parenting is up to Bruce. He recounts nights of vomiting triplets, the reaction one gets pushing triplets around New York and his habit of sneaking treats to older son Asher with the proper amount of self-awareness that can rea ...more
Clare
Oct 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mom, Ben
Recommended to Clare by: gift from Amber
An excellent book. As a new mom of triplets, I can only imagine how our family will develop. Stockler presents excellent insights.

This is a memoir. I was expecting it to be a humor book based on the description on the back cover. There are very funny anecdotes. Just don't expect every chapter to be humorous.

An excellent memoir. Very insightful, well-written and deeply thought out. Stockler presents an excellent analysis of family.
Jaime
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely hilarious. It's about being married, and having a 3 year old, and then newborn triplets. The writer is one of the best I've ever read, and I wish he wrote another book ! I love that he truly writes what exactly is going through his mind.
Ciara
another humorous parenting memoir. the twist here is that the author is the work-at-home father of triplets. nothing super-groundbreaking or revelatory here. just another pleasant read for a lazy pregnant lady. it did make me incredibly relieved to only be pregnant with one though.
Katherine
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
I have to say that I did not enjoy this book at all. It was interesting to read, but I found the people in the story very hard to understand. The babies were the part I got, the parents were the part I did not get. A good read in that it was a different point of view.
Megan
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fascinating memoir of one New York couple and their journey to parenting triplets. Well written. Rated PG for mild language.
Jamie
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: new parents
Shelves: memoirs, parenting
I loved this book! I wish it wasn't over. Very entertaining, laugh-out-loud funny, and nicely reflective.
Natalie Pyles
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Reading this book about having triplets made me feel not so discouraged about the challenges of one.
Susan
Aug 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents expecting multiple birth children
Shelves: twins-multiples
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - it captured the real scenarios of life with triplets without being overly dramatic. Bruce made this a fun, easy read (with liberal cups of coffee added).
Laurie
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult, non-fiction
Funny and sad in equal measure.
Ann
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book Chronicles families life with one little boy, then they have triplets. They were so brave to take three kids into the supermarket.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
Non-fiction. Awesome! I read it in 3 days. He lives in NY suburbs - so funny!
Julie
Mar 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: adult
The grocery store scene with the raw chicken has stayed with me six years after reading this.
Elizabeth