Start by marking “Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord and Lady Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #1)

Lord and Lady Spy

(Lord and Lady Spy #1)

Let the games begin...

No Man Can Outsmart Him...

Lord Adrian Smythe may appear a perfectly boring gentleman, but he leads a thrilling life as one of England's most preeminent spies, an identity so clandestine even his wife is unaware of it. But he isn't the only one with secrets...

She's Been Outsmarting Him For Years...

Now that the Napoleonic wars have come to an end, darin
Mass Market Paperback, Sourcebooks Casablanca, 378 pages
Published September 6th 2011 by Sourcebooks (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Lord and Lady Spy, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Anne
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lord and Lady Smythe.
Just your average, everyday, boring members of the ton.

description

With the same average, everyday, boring problems.

description

Except for the part where they're each (unbeknownst to the other) spies for the British government, who end up vying for the same contract in order to win the prized spot on the intelligence team.
Which leads to all kinds of surprises for both parties.

description

So yes. This is a cliche, silly, over the top, Regency (is this Regency?) version of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Complete with the
Karla
I don't even know how to begin with this one. The stupidity made my brain seep out of my ears. The characters' immaturity made me seriously consider throwing my ereader at the field stone chimney in my living room. I wish I had a bottomless pit in my backyard to chuck this badly-conceived, idiotic, repetitive, anti-climactic, boring piece of crap.

Pitch A Bad Regency. Save a Persian.

I wasn't too keen on the Mr. & Mrs. Smith premise tease because, well, it seemed cheap and tricksy.

But then ima
Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

I’d never read anything by this author previously, but the premise and racy cover had me very intrigued indeed. I mean a Regency Mr. and Mrs. Smith?! I couldn’t wait!

I’m happy to report that this lived up to my expectations. It’s an entertaining, sexy, adventurous spy romp with a dynamic H/H and an energetic mix of fun, action, drama, snappy dialogue, witty banter, and emotional, steamy romance.

Lord and Lady Smythe might be married, but years of secrets, lie
Sara Reads (mostly) LOTS of Romance
UGH BEST. BOOK. EVER

ayy full review

An entertaining and fun read that I could not put down!

So Adrian SMYTHE is...

OF COURSE I IMAGINED HIM AS A FINE STRAPPING HISTORICAL BRAD PITT BECAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT???
HE WAS HOT. I LOVED HIM. I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS. also have i mentioned how much i fucking love the name adrian???

And of course, here is Sophia SMYTHE

but is lowkey

And their interactions with each other!

“What are you doing?”
He grinned. “What does it look like?”
“I’m trying to have a discussion.”
“Y
Lisa
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, when I saw the premise of this book months ago I was really excited about it. A Regency Mr and Mrs Smith? Sign me up! Now, did Ms Galen deliver a smart, snappy, sexy adventure? Yes, yes and yes!

Lord Adrian Smythe is devastated when he is told he is to retire from his spy life in the Barbican group. After all, he has just delivered one of their most sought after criminals but he grudgingly accepts his new life--that of being a true husband and leading a normal, boring life. When just a few
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Kindle Daily Deal

The very popular story Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen is a Kindle Daily Deal for $1.99, regularly $6.99 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005...

No man can outsmart him...

She's been outsmarting him for years...

Now that the Napoleonic wars have come
Jill
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it

Adrian Galloway, Lord Smythe, and Sophia, Lady Smythe have been married for five years. Their marriage has been one of convenience between two titled families. Since the first day as husband and wife they've been working for the government. As spies. Without the other's knowledge. Adrian, agent Wolf and Sophia, agent Saint. With Bonaparte's surrender their services as spies for the Foreign Office are no longer needed. But when the prime minister, Lord Liverpool's half-brother is murdered, he ask
Dls
Oct 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book was such a disappointment to me. The plot could have been really wonderful--I would love to read a good book about a couple driven apart by multiple miscarriages and her unwillingness to put herself through that again. I'm sure that was something that happened a lot (and still does) and should have created a powerful emotional plot without any farfetched story line.
And while a bit too cute, the idea of a husband and wife discovering they were both being spies for the same group withou
Lakshmi C
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it

Rtc
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
This has taken me over a week to read, which perhaps speaks volumes. It was all a bit of a chore. Not enough to hold my attention, not bad enough for me to give up without knowing what was going to happen. This book is not aimed at me. I much prefer my romances true to the time in which they are set with a nicely developed couple at their centre and minimum dramaz. This was not like that [how did it end up on my 'Want To Read' shelf? she wonders]. Two Regency spies with secret identities who use ...more
Ipshita
Dec 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Lord Adrian Smythe hides an exciting occupation behind his seemingly boring facade of English lord, that of an English spy.

Except, guess what? His wife has been outsmarting him for years. She's a spy herself *Oh, my!* Alas, both are unaware of this little secret they are determined to hide from each other. That is until they get involved in the same case and all masks are off.

To be brutally honest, the real mystery to me is how these two ever managed to not get each other killed. You've probabl
Ren
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical romance fans at Regency era
See my review here: Sam,E and R's Awesomness! =D

Oh, wow, wow, WOW!
I pacing back and forth to give this 4, 4 1/2 or 5 stars. But, because I really enjoy it 'till the end, I decide to give Lord and Lady Spy a lovely 5 stars! =)

Lord and Lady Spy is story about 2 retired agent who don't want retire at all! Agent Saint and Agent Wolf, both are capable agents of Barbican Group (maybe its like English Secret Service?). Then, they must accept the fact when their leader told them to retire and back to
Angelc
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I have never seen the movie "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", because I don't care for the actors, so I don't know how closely the book follows the movie. But I did get a kick out of the similarities in the book cover and movie poster, and the fact that their last name was Smythe. Lord and Lady Smythe would have been a cute title, too.

I really liked the characters and their background. I wouldn't have minded if they hadn't discovered each other's identity for a longer period of time. I think there
Susan (susayq ~)
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was great! Imagine, if you will, a Regency era Mr and Mrs Smith. Complete with gun and knife fights and a daring rescue!

This was face paced, I never felt like the story dragged. and the romance parts were just as great as the adventure part. My heart went out to both Adrian and Sophia for the losses they suffered that caused them to hide their true feelings. When they finally realized they could give into those feelings and be themselves, it was amazing.

This was my first book by Shana Gale
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reread. Light and fun. Just what I was looking for.
Nidofito
It was entertainingly fluffy and I quite enjoyed it.
Kati
***Original review can be found at Romancing Rakes***

Holy Mr. and Mrs. Smith Regency style! Move aside Mr. and Mrs. Smith and make room for Lord and Lady Smythe. Brad and Angelina, you've got nothing on Adrian and Sophia.

TOP 5 REASONS I WAS ATTRACTED TO THIS BOOK:
1. The cover is pink! Only, my most favoritest color ever.
2. Mr. & Mrs. Smith Regency style? Sign me up!
3. Spies, intrigue, danger? Bring on the adrenaline rush!
4. Second chance romance? Absolutely!
5. Fabulous book trailer? A must w
Keri
Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Built along the lines of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, we have two spys, married to one another, 1800's style. Andrian and Sophia have been married for years, but have both been spys even longer, only problem is neither one of them know that about the other. But due to old Bony being captured and sent off to exile...sorta...England needs to downsize their spies. Don't let the door hit you on your way out, Lord and Lady Smythe, that's right, they are now both unemployed spys...now what do they do? Well not ...more
An Odd1
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, x-rate, fan
Lord Adrian and Lady Sophia Smythe appear staid, bookish, quiet, and have kept a big secret from even each other before their marriage. The Wolf, organized planner, ruthless interrogator, crack shot, and the Saint, intuitive (when her nose itches, everyone ducks, cutesy gimmick), manipulative, persuasive, and skilled with a knife, are Britain's best secret agents, daring, expert. Now that Napoleon is caught, their chief Melbourne retires both.

Hot. Hot. Hot. My favorite perfume smells like choco
As many other reviewers have stated, this was a cute idea but poorly executed. Not only were the MCs completely immature, too much of their shared past was glossed over with sexual tension and innuendo that I failed to care about the character development that they underwent.

I do have give kudos to the author for writing a completely safe story. (view spoiler)
Cindy
I loved this book. I never saw the movie Mr & Mrs Smith so I don't know how closely it follows that particular storyline but I thought it was very well written. I loved both of the lead characters and I thought they were developed well. The action was exciting, the love scenes were steamy without being gross or sickeningly sweet.
Melanie
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this novel for Romance Reader At Heart website:

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

There are some authors that do ‘angst’ romance well (i.e. Laura Kinsale); some that do ‘humor’ well (i.e. Julia Quinn); and then there’s Shana Galen, who, in my humble opinion, is so, so, very good and can do both so very, very well.

Lord Adrian Smythe is a very good spy, employed by the Barbican group, which is a branch of Home Office; but after a successful job, he’s forced to take an early retirement, and
L.E. Fidler
the sheer joy of winning this goodreads giveaway can not be expressed in mere words. imagine the childlike glee with which i checked the mailbox every afternoon - like ralphie and his little orphan annie secret decoder ring! also, imagine my immense displeasure when it finally arrived and i sliced my finger open tearing into the impressively sealed envelope.

after the bleeding stopped, i was appeased by the fact that it came with a free romance sampler. it's so cheestastic looking - i'm all a-qu
Christy B
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very entertaining book full of romance, action, suspense and mystery.

Lord and Lady Smythe are both spies, but neither knows the other one is! Once Napoleon is captured, their services are no longer needed and they both reluctantly go back to 'normal' life. Problem is, the two are practically strangers, even after being married for a few years.

The two discover the secret identity of the other after being summoned by the prime minister to help discover who murdered his half-brother. The reward
Erin
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very fun, fast pace adventure. This was the historical romance version of the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The premise matched and even the names are similar. I even imagined the main characters as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (the descriptions even matched). I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and engaging and the romance (or rekindling of a relationship) was believable. This book was almost a blatant retelling of that movie, with a different setting and in a different time and that was alway ...more
Krista D
Aug 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I knew I was going to have to read this book with a grain of salt. The Mr. & Mrs. Smith plot actually sounded really cute to me, but it wasn't executed very well. Lots of details about how they kept their identities a secret from each were kind of glossed over.

The main thing that I didn't like about the book was that it was like repeatedly reading the same scenes. Scene 1: Compete against each other to investigate the new clue. Scene 2: Glaringly obviously scene showing that A & S would
Mrs. Badass
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this historical Mr. and Mrs. Smith spy novel. It is probably not historically accurate, but it was fun, entertaining, emotional, and interesting.

Once I started, I didn't put it down.

I liked both Sofia and Adrian, and their smexing was a whole lot of steamy :fans self:

I'll read the next in the series, if there was to be one.

May
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Husband & wife are both top spies... Neither knows about the other one's secret identity. They find out, have to work together, and find out how much they like the real person that they each married.

Great fun read- full review to come @ www.smexybooks.com

Ingrid Hahn
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sweet and charming. Enjoyed this a lot.
Rachel T
Written as a combined review, posted at The Reading Cafe 21 Sep 13

5 out of 5 for this reader folks!

WOW .. now this is a fun series. The Lord and Lady Spy series by Shana Galen has it all. Mystery, suspense, romance, humour and lots of action. An absolute refreshing read that offers a different spin on historical romance. If you can, try to think along the lines of Mr and Mrs Smith set in the 1800's ... LOL Well .. that is what I was picturing anyways! Brangelina anyone?? LOL

BOOK 1 - Lord and Lad
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 28, 2015 08:57AM
  • Sins of a Wicked Princess (Sinners Trio, #3)
  • From London With Love (Lady Spies, #1)
  • An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1)
  • Danger's Kiss (Medieval Outlaws, #1)
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • How to Seduce a Scoundrel (How To #2)
  • The Devil in Disguise (Regency Rogues, #1)
  • Beauty and the Spy (Holt Sisters Trilogy #1)
  • Pride & Passion (The Brethren Guardians, #2)
  • A Lady's Lesson in Scandal
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Scandal in the Night (The Reckless Brides, #3)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • A View to a Kiss (The Bow St. Agents: Spies in Love, #1)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books “lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven year ...more

Lord and Lady Spy (3 books)
  • True Spies (Lord and Lady Spy, #2)
  • Love and Let Spy (Lord and Lady Spy, #3)