Start by marking “So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)” as Want to Read:
So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)

So Close the Hand of Death

(Taylor Jackson #6)

It's a hideous echo of a violent past. Across America, murders are being committed with all the twisted hallmarks of the Boston Strangler, the Zodiac Killer and Son of Sam. The media frenzy explodes and Nashville homicide lieutenant Taylor Jackson knows instantly that The Pretender is back?and he's got helpers.As The Pretender's disciples perpetrate their sick homages ? st ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published February 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about So Close the Hand of Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Close the Hand of Death

Start your review of So Close the Hand of Death (Taylor Jackson, #6)
Elaine Tomasso
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pretender is back and moving in to his end game with a few well chosen disciples. If you are a new reader to the series don't worry as the relevant back story is explained and it helps us series readers refresh our memories. This is a fast paced action filled read which will keep you engrossed. I felt, after I'd finished it that some things weren't really explained and that it was all highly improbable but I was too caught up in the plot at the time to notice. What more could you want from a ...more
Susan
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars due to a slower, confusing start. Another solid book in this series that always leaves me wanting to read the next one.
Ryan
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
I've somehow gotten myself into a habit of agreeing to review a book without bothering to find out it's actually part of a series. Not only that, but they are tending to be books that occur well into the series and not at the beginning. So Close the Hand of Death is now the third book that I've read recently that fits into that category. It's the sixth book in the Taylor Jackson series, which is now a series I will have to start at the beginning of.

I'm going to assume that much like Love Me to D
Jane
Feb 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Nashville homicide lieutenant Taylor Jackson may finally get her wish. A serial killer who goes by the moniker the Pretender has been stalking her for years. The Pretender has stepped up his game by directly attacking a friend and colleague while dispatching others to cities like Boston and New York to duplicate murders done by other famous serial killers. As usual, Taylor's love interest, FBI agent John Baldwin is on hand to help with the investigation (though he is keeping a professional setba ...more
Jenn
I have to learn to read books in the order they were published. My fault completely. And this series refers back to previous books quite often. I also wasn't a big fan of the relationship between Taylor and Baldwin. Can't quite put my finger on why, and maybe it was the secrets kept, but something isn't healthy in that one.
Dotti Elrick
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Close the Hand of Death takes place shortly after the events of the last book, The Immortals. Taylor is still not in her right mind after shooting and killing the teenager who was responsible for the deaths of eight other teenagers.
Her friend, father figure and fellow officer Fitz, has just been found wandering down a road in North Carolina after being taken by Taylor's personal nemisis, The Pretender.
Baldwin her fiancee and and an agent with the FBI, and Taylor head to pick up Fitz and bring
Victoria
Wow - this is the Taylor Jackson book that I have been waiting for since 14 concluded! This sixth book in the series opens up with a lot of action - the final showdown with the Pretender is on the rise! The book’s pacing is so fast that it almost blurs by - there’s a high body count and a nationwide series of murders. Taylor ventures out from the (relative) safety of Nashville and Baldwin continues to avoid coming clean about his past with her.

The final two hundred pages of this book move so qui
Wendy-Lynn
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
So Close the Hand of Death by J.T. Ellison is the sixth Taylor Jackson mystery. Because I have not read all of these books, I was a bit confused as to the different character subplots. However, the suspense was awesome. Ms. Ellison brings back three serial killers to this installment. All are playing a cat and mouse game and want Taylor Jackson to "play." Across the country murders are happening in different states, but all of them are connected in some way. Working against the clock, Ms. Jackso ...more
Naomi
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.T. Ellison simply gets better with each book she writes. I loved this book..it was not as twisted as some of her other ones, but was still incredibly engrossing and warped. I love it when a fellow sister can be this twisted!!!
Linda
Oct 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing my brain candy binge........
Marsha
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
"Talent Borrows. Genius Steals. Evil Delegates" - says the tag line on the audio version.
Taylor Jackson finds herself against pure evil as she tracks down "The Pretender" as he taunts her, attacks her closest friends and seems to have a delegation of murderers recreating serial killers like the Boston Strangler, Son of Sam, and the Zodiac Killer.
The first crime is a recreation of one of Taylor's cases from a previous book that man was called "The Snow White killer" The new cases are being commi
Jovdb
SPOILER ALERT, DONT READ ON,

So a quibble: On Taylor’s way to the morgue, her phone was dead. After she’s been in for the autopsy, she uses her phone to call Adrienne. But on with the story.

As usual, there are a lot of deaths in this story.

The Pretender is back with his own cabal of copy cate serial killers doing his bidding in a game that will culminate in Taylor’s death.

Baldwin, on suspension from the FBI, with his own secrets, is with Taylor in Nashville. They, along with her team, work togeth
Megan Caldwell
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! This is my sixth book I've read by Ellison, and I still cannot prepare myself for the insane ride I go on emotionally with each book. I always know I'm in for a thrilling read, but I can't ever know what to expect. I can't wait for Where All the Dead Lie! At least I still have the Samantha Owens series until then! I'm sure Ellison won't disappoint there either! I 100% recommend this book, and any other with the name Ellison on it!
TELM
Honestly, my favorite part of this book was the reference to all the famous serial killers. I was a little surprised, I say little by who ended up being The Pretender, but only a little. This author tends to hint at things a little too much so you figure them out quickly. The ending of this book was traumatic. I'm still a little sad just thinking about it. I don't know what it is but I just can't seem to get into this author's style like I can others.
Karla K Thompson
This is the best of the series....so far!

Incredible! Taylor and Baldwin and their teams just get better and better! The Pretender was one scary guy. The lengths to which a crazy man can go. Wow! I love the way this series moves along! I love the back stories and the dreams for the future. The world is a messy place and crazy just seems to be everywhere! Thanks....on to the last one. 📚
Jessica
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great addition to the Taylor Jackson series. The Pretender is at it again; murders coping the Boston Strangler, the Zodiac Killer, and Son of Sam are being committed across America all leading back to Nashville, Tennessee. Taylor knows it's The Pretender and that things are coming to a head; the final showdown is inevitable. Distracted by his own demons and the search for his son, Taylor's fiancé Dr. John Baldwin doesn't notice as Taylor pulls away as she becomes determined to face The Pretender ...more
Art
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy cat murders mimicking the Son of Sam, the Boston Strangler and the Zodiac Killer take place in cities across the US. And the copy cats may be working with the original Nashville copy cat: Lt. Taylor Jackson's nemesis, the Pretender.

A showdown between the two has been brewing for several books. Bring it!
Regina
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, april-2020
My favorite JT Ellison book so far! I liked all of the details of the former serial killers woven into the story. I didn't realize until after I started it that it is in the middle of a series so now I will be going back to the beginning of the series and I am hoping that the rest of the books are as good as this one!
Deborah
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So after reading the entire Taylor Jackson series, what better way to honour the amazing series than with a mammoth review?!

Check it out at my blog -> http://bookworminglife.com/taylor-jac...
Darryl Basham
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

I discovered this author late and love her characters/stories. So happy to start from the beginning and read thru in order. Big plus is I know all these places. Reading about my home state is pretty cool.
Lindsay
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book. Best one yet, I've read all the Samantha Owens books and #1-6 of Taylor Jackson and this one was my favorite!
Suze
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SO CLOSE THE HAND OF DEATH

Love this series, everyone of the Taylor Jackson books is a page turner. Complex stories, a lot of action and great characters.
Sarah atkins
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damon good book!

A really good read. It keeps you guessing all the way to the end. Anyone who likes murder mysteries will love this. Can't wait to read another.
William
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me a while to get into this the quick kills at the onset where almost to fast to understand what was going on. The story pics up and i enjoyed it.
Kate
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe O'Connor
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent; Continuing characters: Taylor Jackson and John Baldwin; the Pretender is going after Taylor's friends while orchestrating the work of various apprentices, leading to a final showdown
Melissa
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Taylor Jackson is just really starting to get on my nerves. I like the overall plots of these books, but sometimes I want to punch her in the face.
VickiLee
Taylor, a dedicated police officer, is back on the trail of a killer who mimics famous killers and calls himself "the Pretender". She is of great interest to the killer.
Brooke Sillaby
Round up to 3.75 stars.
Elisa
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a really brilliant thriller with a great author.
I love the Taylor Jackson series and this story was just fantastic, gripping and always suspenseful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The End Game (A Brit in the FBI, #3)
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • The Devil's Triangle (A Brit in the FBI, #4)
  • The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)
  • The Silent Wife (Will Trent, #10)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • The Third to Die
  • The Sixth Day (A Brit in the FBI, #5)
  • Bad Things
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Say No More (Romantic Suspense #24; Sacramento #2)
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Windy City Blues (V.I. Warshawski, #8.5)
  • Cause to Fear (Avery Black #4)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Left To Die (Adele Sharp #1)
  • The Third Victim (Quincy & Rainie, #2)
J.T. Ellison began her career as a presidential appointee in the White House, where a nuclear physicist taught her how to obsess over travel itineraries and make a seriously good pot of Earl Grey, spawning both her love of loose leaf and a desire for control of her own destiny. Jaded by the political climate in D.C., she made her way back to her first love, creative writing. More than 20 novels la ...more

Taylor Jackson (8 books)
  • All The Pretty Girls (Taylor Jackson, #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3)
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • The Immortals (Taylor Jackson, #5)
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
  • Field of Graves (Taylor Jackson, #8)

News & Interviews

“He loved how she could go from sleepy mouse to Valkyrie warrior at a moment’s notice.” 0 likes
“Handwriting is as unique as fingerprints and teeth. We’re guided by three basic principles: physical, mental and emotional, and all three of these are readily apparent in our handwriting.” 0 likes