Start by marking “Follow My Lead” as Want to Read:

(The Blue Raven #3)

Being the most sought-after bachelor in London can be trying. Jason Cummings, Duke of Rayne, should know. But when he winds up an unwilling escort to the headstrong Winnifred Crane on a trip across Europe, he realizes he'll do anything to keep this independent beauty safe-even if it means marrying her.
Watch a Video
Published May 1st 2011 by Berkley Books (first published March 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Follow My Lead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Follow My Lead

Start your review of Follow My Lead
Juliana Philippa
Found a new favorite author! I would be giving this book 5+ stars if not for two things (4.5 stars)

I don't even remember how I stumbled upon Kate Noble, but it was quite by accident. From the four books she has published, this one and Compromised seemed like they would appeal to me most, based on the summaries. I started with this one and oh how right I was! There were so many utterly fabulous things about this romance: historically rich in detail; features a compelling, unique heroine and
Catherine
*4.5 Stars*
"What on earth did you say to him? And what did he say back? I've spent the last twenty minutes trying to get a straight answer out of him."

"Miss Crane, do you even speak German?" Jason asked, surprised.

"Of course I speak German," she said, affronted.

"Really?" Jason asked coolly. "Which dialect?"

She opened her mouth and closed it, like a fish. "At least I can read German very well." And then, after a moment, "Renaissance German."

Jason rolled his eyes but firmly withheld from giving in
Katie(babs)
Nov 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s a famous song from the 1934 Cole Porter Broadway show, Anything Goes called “It’s De-Lovely.” The chorus goes as follows- “It's delightful, it's delicious, it's de-lovely”. I can’t help but hum this song when I read a Kate Noble book. Her books are all of these things- delightful, delicious and lovely.

Follow My Lead is a light hearted, on the road romance between the hero and heroine who match wits while falling in love with one another. The hero, Jason Cumming, Duke of Rayne made quite
Ursula
3.5 stars, (probably really only 3) but mostly because the story involved Dürer, took place in nineteenth century Germany and Austria, and all these things are my family background. I just loved reading about these places!

A pleasant book but it didn't grab me as much as some of the others by this author. Just couldn't really connect to the romance. It took a long time coming.
It was useful to have read the previous book in the series because it gave me more of an insight into the hero, Jason, who
Katyana
May 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***4.5***

This was a fun, fast read! The characters were sweet and funny, and it was great to get to know them. At times, I wanted to smack their heads together, because I was frustrated at how stupid they were being in regards to each other. But that said, it was still sweet to watch them slowly become comfortable with each other, and have fun on their adventure.

And the plot was fun too - the adventure story was great! My only criticism would be that George was a little overly-villainish. He
Pamela(AllHoney)
The third book in The Blue Raven series. Another winner from Ms Noble. She is able to blend romance and humor into an enjoyable and entertaining read. Winnifred Crane is a woman searching for the truth in regards to a painting that was believed to have been painted by the German artist Druer. She has a desire to be recognized for her accomplishments. Jason Cummings, Duke of Rayne, ends up following her across Europe, assisting her in the mission. The romance was a gradual thing, happening over ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Favorite Quote: So. This is hell, Jason thought. A garden party, being backed into a corner by three of the most baldly opportunistic furies to have been formed in the British system of wealth and aristocracy. Who knew?

Jason Cummings (who has red hair, swoon), Duke of Rayne is 30 and ready to get married, because well, that is what one does when one turns 30. Being a very wealthy Duke however means the marriage mart is more of a war (one that he is losing badly) than an actual task. He finds
Gerrie
This is the third book in The Blue raven series, and I loved the first two books. This book is equally well written, with Ms. Noble's sparkling dialogue and well rounded characters. And she's a terrific writer and story teller. In this book, Ms. Noble leaves regency England behind for Germany and Austria. Winn, the heroine, wants admission to the royal art and architecture society. Since the society's by-laws don't specifically prohibit women, she feels that she may have a chance. However, in ...more
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
A great read of adventure travelling for a travel (I'd know, I read this while I was travelling around the country).

I adore Kate Noble's style, and though my all-time favorite remains Compromised, I'd had great fun reading both Revealed and Follow My Lead. I was so impressed by the latter's back-cover description that I bought it instead of The Summer of You, which actually comes first (and which I'm buying next).

The novel was so not what I expected. The characters were real and eccentric and
Nicole
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FAKE MARRIED!!! SHARING BEDS!!! GOING ON QUESTS AND HAVING ADVENTURES WHILE FALLING IN LOVE~
Ellie
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Follow My Lead by Kate Noble

D+

“Perhaps it was because she was the first woman in two Seasons who did not look at him with some kind of expectation.Perhaps it was because, when her hand made contact with his nose, it was if she’d knocked the weight of the day clean off him- the dreary, boring day that had sat on his shoulders for so long.”

Jason Cummings, the Duke of Rayne, has decided that thirty is a great age to get married and has started to hunt for a bride. Imagine his surprise when he
Megan
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A 19th century road trip, an art history mystery, and an offbeat but believable romance.

Kate Noble's writing keeps getting better, and Follow My Lead is a particularly strong offering: flawed but determined characters, challenging and complicated trysts, and some pretty rich emotions. Her lead characters are always three-dimensional, and while I've enjoyed all her leads, I think I might like Winn and Jason the most. They each have a moment where they make room for the other person to be the best
Rachna R
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS SO MUCH. dying with glee was a frequent thing because this book hit all the beats I wanted from the 'pretend relationship' trope but at the same time gave me an independent, smart lady and an intelligent, supportive dude - both of whom had faults that they were called out on, but both of whom were respected and clearly written with love!!! with a relationship that works - the way it builds and shifts is just wonderful - I always love it when main 'ships fit like this. I just enjoyed ...more
hannah
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
smart and adventurous female protagonists and the redheaded dukes who love them for them!!!! i loved the main leads so much!!! their interactions and their relationship but also just them as individual characters. also, pretend relationship that ends up being real!!!!! this book has everything i love basically!!! my only gripe is with the ending, not a grip exactly just that i wanted more make-outs (really everything needs more make-outs!!!).

Louisa
Incredibly, pleasantly surprised by this! I haven't read any of the other Blue Raven books, but that didn't affect me at all. This has to be one of the more unique historical romances I've read recently. No waxing rhapsodic about the other's looks when they first meet, a redheaded male lead, road trips through Europe, actually being able to chart the frenemies-to-friends-to-possible-lovers-to-lovers progression of Jason's and Winn's relationship... not bad, Kate Noble, not bad at all. :)
Epeeblade
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up after I saw Tessa Dare tweet about a book with a similar plot to one of hers. (Intellectually minded woman on road trip with the hero to prove her worth to a royal society). And while the premise is similar, they are far different books.

I did enjoy this one as well.
Ruth
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. Jason Cummings, Duke of Rayne and eligible bachelor, is searching for what comes next. Having accepted his role as duke and mastered its attendant responsibilities, he knows the next step is to acquire a wife and in due course produce an heir...and if in the process, the aforementioned wife manages to assuage the vague loneliness that dances at the periphery of his conscience, growing ever more insistent as he settles into his ducal responsibilities, so much the better. For family is ...more
Malin
Jason Cummings, the Duke of Rayne, has worked diligently for years to be responsible and take care of both his sister and estates. Now, as he is nearing thirty, he feels that it is his duty to find a wife and father some heirs, and after experiencing just how ruthless some of the debutantes on the marriage mart can be, he asks his sister for assistance. Just as he seems to have found a promising lady of suitable temperament, his wooing is temporarily derailed because of bluestocking Miss ...more
Stephanie Chambers
One of my favorite romances of all time! I love this series!

I was very unsure of Jason after the last book so I waited until I could have a fresh perspective of him. And I am so glad! Because he was so amazing. I love how he keeps getting into trouble because he is always underestimating ladies looking for a husband! He loves fun and adventure, but not in a rakish way. He has this innocent pursuit of fun.

Winn is so intelligent and single minded. She is definitely one of my favorite heroines.
Meghan V
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again, Ms. Noble does such an amazing job when she gets us out of London and into new, unexpected territory. Here, our newly matured Jason (first seen in "Summer of You") has taken on the title and responsibilities of a dukedom and, in a madcap series of events that are honestly quite fun to read, gets stuck escorting an academic around Germany. Like cotton candy, I found it fun and airy and just so damned sweet.

Series Review: The entire series is full of wit and humor. Our heroines are sensual
Jen
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, fiction, 4-star
I expected not to like this one as much as others in the series as Jason had been an annoying character the previous novel. But, that seems to have been a part of his character development, for which I applaud Ms. Noble. I also genuinely liked Winn. The adventure was rollicking, the characters were engaging and the writing was not bad. I particularly liked how she did a better job at including the previous couples of the series and nods to people we'd met previously.
An Odd1
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
x-rated. Noble is an amusing author to follow. In a penniless lively race from London, hours ahead of selfish villain, Miss wren and Lord red-hair each beckon the other to follow and tangle drunkenly in the hay. Yow-itch.
Typos:
ch 26 they accept you is they accepted you
write you the is write you out of the
ch25 assent is ascent
ch 22 council is counsel
ch19 batering is bartering
ch12 sued is used
ch8 So long as he did is So long as she did
kate
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like the heroine or the the wishy washy hero. Wasn't crazy about the boring "how I saw Europe on zero money a day plot". Didn't like that the hero had a plan b to propose to another girl. A dnf at around 80%.
Serena
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the series. Winn is a delightful and adventurous historian.
Rachel
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winn is such a great character. Very fun.
Nat
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I really enjoyed the book in the beginning, something about the intimate scene where I lost interest in heir story made it difficult to finish the book.
June
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrícia
RATING: 3.5 stars-ish.

This is the first historical romance I've read by Kate Noble and I must say it was a good read, overall.

Actually this is more historical fiction than your typical steamy romance set in some historical period. It took me very much by surprise. The premise is a little wild and unbelievable, though: an independent woman in early 19th-century wants to join an all-male Historical Society so she makes a bet with the director: if she can authenticate a painting, she is in; if she
Gaby
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I discovered this book, I loved the summary. The cover did help me to get more interested and I was sold when I watched the book trailer. It sounded so different from other romance novels that I have to read it.

I wasn't disappointed. The characters were amazing. Winn, the protagonist, is 30 years old. She has spent all her life at Oxford, with her father. Now, her father is dead and she has practically nothing. But, she wrote some papers with the name C.W. Marks, and she's determined to be
Joelle
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jason Cummings, Duke of Rayne is feeling the weight of his responsibilities - one of which is to get married. Being the most sought after bachelor in London can be trying, so who can blame him if he seeks refuge from the voracious hordes of young debutantes at the decidedly female-free Historical Society? Female-free, that is, until Winnifred Crane marches up to the door, demanding entrance.

Despite her prowess as a historian, Winn is denied membership the Society. So she daringly offers an
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Fool Me Twice (Rules for the Reckless, #2)
  • Between the Devil and Ian Eversea (Pennyroyal Green, #9)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Wicked Becomes You
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane #2)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • An Earl Like You (The Wagers of Sin, #2)
  • Believe in Me (The Worthingtons, #6)
  • A Match Made in Bed (Spinster Heiresses, #2)
  • Project Duchess (Duke Dynasty, #1)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
  • The Earl I Ruined (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #2)
  • The Deception of the Emerald Ring (Pink Carnation, #3)
  • It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)
  • The Perfect Kiss (The Merridew Sisters, #4)
  • Marry in Haste (Marriage of Convenience, #1)
  • The Sins of Lord Lockwood (Rules for the Reckless, #6)
aka
Kate Rorick

Kate Noble is the national bestselling, RITA-nominated author of historical romances, including the acclaimed Blue Raven series and the Winner Takes All series. Her books have earned her numerous accolades, including comparisons to Jane Austen, which just makes her giddy.
In her other life as Kate Rorick, she is an Emmy-award winning writer of television and web series, having

The Blue Raven (6 books)
  • Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)
  • The Summer of You (The Blue Raven, #2)
  • If I Fall (The Blue Raven, #4)
  • The Dress of the Season (The Blue Raven, #4.5)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
“… Looking at her, I think I know better what romantic love is.”

… she asked, “What is it?”

“It is parental love,” he answered thoughtfully. “Wanting to protect and keep the other person safe. As well as the love of friendship - esteeming the other person, even desiring each other’s company beyond all others. And it is lust,” he said, meeting her eyes, and was rewarded with seeing them darken, her breath becoming slightly unsteady, one little word jerking her out of her clinical assessment. He smiled, a predatory, seductive grin. “The physical needing of the other person, the quickened pulse, the sweaty heat.” His hand, which still rested on hers, began slowly moving, his fingers dancing over her skin. “Combining them makes the result greater than its individual parts. Because it produces something else. It creates … a steadiness. A strength. I can’t explain it well - being only an outside observer - but I only know that out of my friends' relationships, my sister‘s marriage is the epitome of grace.”
6 likes