Start by marking “The HarperCollins Study Bible: Fully Revised & Updated” as Want to Read:
The HarperCollins Study Bible: Fully Revised & Updated

The HarperCollins Study Bible: Fully Revised & Updated

The HarperCollins Study Bible—Student Edition is the landmark general reference Bible that offers the full text of the New Revised Standard Version as well as in-depth articles, introductions, and comprehensive notes by today’s leading biblical scholars for the Society of Biblical Literature. Completely revised and updated, this edition incorporates the latest scholarship ...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by HarperOne (first published 393)

To ask other readers questions about The HarperCollins Study Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The HarperCollins Study Bible

Bethany
Jul 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Having studied religion from an historical perspective for a number of years, I truly appreciate the comprehensive nature of the footnotes in the HarperCollins edition. Explanations of the spiritual or supernatural tones in the passages are often specific to particular branches of faith and would render many study Bibles invalid for anyone not approaching the text within that branch. This Bible discusses few of those issues, allowing individual readers their own perspectives and beliefs.

Being a
Tommy Grooms
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a translation which manages to strike a very good balance between literalism and modern readability (at least, that's what I can tell from looking back and forth between difficult verses in different translations - I'm no scholar, and I certainly don't know Hebrew or Greek!).

What I was really using this Bible for, however, was the notes, of which there are quite a few (it's more like a collection of notes with a bible attached). The focus is very academic. The goal seems to be presenting
Hilary
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read the Bible before, and this was a great intro to reading such a historically referenced tome. This version has tons of footnotes that clarify the customs of the ancient world, the Jewish world, and details about historical facts within the Bible. The translation was very clear, and this copy provided all the alternate translations that the Bible could be read with, as well as scholars' interpretations of the stories and their meaning. The only drawbacks to this book were that A) ...more
Caterina
This seems to be a very good edition of the Bible both from a scholarly perspective and for the language itself. Of the dozen or so translations we have at the house, this is the one I prefer to read from. The only trouble is the binding - it's paperback and my copy has fallen apart into many pieces.
Samuel
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***I finished reading the Old Testament cover-to-cover today (Sunday, January 3, 2016) perhaps for the fourth time in my life. The other three times, I read the King James Version (KJV); overall, reading the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) was not markedly different though it did cast some understanding on certain archaic phrases as well as demonstrate why some passages beloved by Mormons have a very different reading/understanding/interpretation in other denominations.

It is a remarkably co
Daniel Chaikin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do have a quirky reviews of the first five books, the OT and the NT. Not posting here, but message me and I can point you there.
Thomas
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoyed this translation. The text is clear, and on the "dynamic-literal" spectrum, it falls slightly literal of center but without sacrificing important dynamic elements that more literal translations sometimes lose. The notes are extensive and relevant.
Bradley Koch
Apr 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Even though I am a religious person, I tend to be more interested in religion as a scholar. This translation is generally regarded as the most accurate and up-to-date by academics, and the footnotes help to put what can otherwise be a VERY confusing tome into context. If you can't read Koine Greek, this is the Bible you should own.
Heath
Jul 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is looking for a great NRSV Study Bible
My very esteemed professor of New Testament, Dr. Jouette Bassler (who has recently retired) wrote the scholarly notes for a majority of the sections related to Paul's Letters and is an overall editor of this version. Anytime you can learn about Scripture from someone with her stature, it is truly humbling.
Ronald Barba
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Bible is one of my favorite books and this version is the better one out there honestly if you really want to try understanding the book's and Christianity's overall relevance. IMHO people who judge The Bible and/or Christianity (oftentimes liberals) without having actually read The Bible or tried to understand Christianity's roots are as arrogant and ignorant as the people they often ridicule.

Disclosure: I am not religious whatsoever (atheist-under-weak-ass-agnostic-label) and consider mys
HarrietHH
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Five stars given for THIS EDITION of the Bible, not the content of the Bible itself. Based on the latest archeological findings and most authentic sources available, this translation is arguably the most credible English version accessible at this time. Scholarly, non-theological introductions to the edition, and to each of the individual Old Testament, Apocryphal and New Testament books, maps for the various periods of history, as well as detailed annotations throughout help to inform any stude ...more
Ellie
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing: the Bible itself is a difficult and time consuming read. Some of it is entertaining, some of it is sad, and some of it is boring. It is filled with stories and sometimes has multiple versions of the same story. This version is wonderful though; it has different interpretations and explains parts that otherwise would be quite difficult to understand. My religion professor in college recommended this particular version to me.
Paul Thompson
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

I find this version of the Bible is clearly my preferred translation and this, set alongside a good series of textual and historical analysis articles, makes it even better. What I really like about this volume though is that it is on Kindle
Eden
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow...that took 5 years to read every word a few pages every day. As an avowed atheist, I thought I should read the bedrock of Western history and faith and it certainly did not sway me.
Barb
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I began using HarperCollins in the early 2000 and just recently put a copy on my Kindle. I will never have a finished date.
Aaron
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
November 4, 2013:

I finished reading the NT last night from this Study Bible. With the help of my "8 Translations" book, I feel like I have learned a TON about the NT after reading it in this book. The notes are very helpful, and the introductory essays are quite good, although I prefer Raymond Brown's essays on each NT in his "Introduction to the New Testament." The level of skepticism about the authenticity of the NT books from the authors of the introductions in the Study Bible varied quite a
Chris
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Jews
Recommended to Chris by: My Professors
I bought this Bible for my studies in college. It includes the books of the Old and New Testaments with the Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books. The Apocryphal/Deuterocanonical Books aren't in standard Protestant Christian Bibles, but are found in the Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and/or Slavonic Orthodox Bibles. These include Tobit, Judith, The Additions to the Book of Esther, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus or the Wisdom of Jesus Son of Sirach, Baruch, The Letter of Jeremiah, The Additions t ...more
Ray
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
With so many other decent study Bibles out there, there is not really a good reason to get this one. Really the only reason is if you want one that includes the Apocrypha (though the New Annotated Oxford NRSV is probably better).

Format issues: The typeface is light and difficult to read. I don't know if it comes in better binding, but the hardcover format I used was not as comfortable and attractive as most leather Bibles.

Content: The notes are less extensive than some other study Bibles (for
Dan Gorman
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Reading portions of Exodus, Ecclesiastes, Matthew, 2 Chronicles, and Daniel for grad school, I was reminded of this volume's quality. The writing is clear and extremely accurate when compared to the original documents, and a wide array of scholars contributed to the translations and footnotes. Some of the language may lack the poeticism of the classic King James Bible, but many portions (Ecclesiastes in particular) are stirring in their own right. I think as far as completeness and readability g ...more
Dorian Driscoll
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I disagreed with much of the skeptical scholarship behind the annotations in this Bible, this was an excellent study Bible that went into great detail over its affirmations. It also explains the literary structure of various books and stories, and generally treats the Bible not only as a sacred work (though it largely denies anything miraculous or prophetic) but also as a text to be interpreted according to more than just its various propositions. Like most study Bibles or even other ...more
T Crockett
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels odd to write a review of the Bible, but this is the most helpful version of the Bible I've ever used. It was recommended to me by my priest when I admitted I really all that familiar with the Bible aside from the stories I remembered from Sunday school. This is just what I needed. Each book begins with historical information about who is believed to have written it, any scholarly disagreements and the general historical context. The bottom of each page is rich with supplemental informat ...more
Lily
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Among my many Bible editions, clearly my first choice for most study. NRSV of course. I even prefer its inter-textual references to those in the Oxford edition, although both are first rate and it is fun and instructive to compare when one has time. (Did so once for fairly extensive collection of the Psalms.)

It is heavy. Would be nice if these could be bound with 2-5 ribbon markers, but of course they are not.
Sam
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sam by: school
Shelves: religion, nonfiction
This is an excellent reference bible. Although I prefer an edition with Hebrew in order to delve into the real meaning of the words, I love to reference this book when I need to quickly glance at something or to get a little bit of an idea about a passage in the bible. This is not for the advanced bible scholar but for those who are just starting out or don't want to delve too far into the bible, this is the perfect starting point.
Mardel Fehrenbach
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am using this version for a bible study class. The notes are very quite useful and I the text seems to find a good balance between possible interpretations of words, also with good notes as to why a particular word was used when meaning can be vague. We are going very slowly, about 4 chapters a week, or so, and of the various translations (we each may choose our own favorite) used by my fellow students, I consistently find this to be the most satisfactory for my use.
Chase
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know it's not the KJV, and I know that a lot of LDS folks believe that the only 'correct' version of the bible is the KJV, but I unabashedly give this 5 stars because 1 a different translation can give you greater insight into the KJV and 2 it has the best scholarly research on the bible that exists today. The footnotes offer insight into the history, culture, mindset of the people in the bible. I particularly enjoyed the old testiment.
John
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good Study Bible to have if one wishes to interact with modern higher-critical scholarship. Evangelicals won't find the notes to be particularly spiritually nourishing, but it is well worth having in order to have a well rounded collection of study bible and to be aware of alternative views. The fact that this Bible includes the Apocrypha with notes is an additional bonus that one won't find in most orthodox Protestant study Bibles.
Everbloom
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent study bible with extensive academic-style notes. Good for personal or individual study. I've found one or two dubious explanations but overall really good with lots of cross references. Although the NRSV is starting to feel a little dated (English evolves so quickly!) it's quite a readable translation and better accuracy than many.
Patti McDermott
This is one of several bibles I read intermittantly. It is my favorite to date. I would have preferred the hard-bound version, the the host was prohibitive. Maybe one day. This was recommended to me by one of the nuns working in the catholic bookshop I went to. She uses this version as her study bible.
Linda
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lauren
There are some good stories in here.
I have not read them all (too many!) but I have picked this book up time and again for various reasons and there is some captivating stuff in there! Check it out.
FYI, the NRSV is the academically accepted version of the Bible and it's written in a very readable fashion.
Loren
  • Old Testament Parallels: Laws and Stories from the Ancient Near East
  • Synopsis of the Four Gospels
  • After the New Testament: A Reader in Early Christianity
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
“13I can do all things through him who strengthens me. 14In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress. 15” 0 likes
“26There go the ships, and Leviathan that you formed to sport in it.” 0 likes