Start by marking “The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2)

The Abduction

(Theodore Boone #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  15,365 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews
Theodore Boone is back in a new adventure, and the stakes are higher than ever.

When his best friend, April, disappears from her bedroom in the middle of the night, no one, not even Theo Boone-who knows April better than anyone-has answers.

As fear ripples through his small hometown and the police hit dead ends, it's up to Theo to use his legal knowledge and investigative
Published 2011 (first published June 9th 2010)

Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzFledgling by Mark A. CooperThe Recruit by Robert MuchamoreSilverFin by Charlie HigsonPoint Blank by Anthony Horowitz
Books Like Alex Rider
620 books — 340 voters
Stormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterFledgling by Mark A. CooperPoint Blank by Anthony HorowitzThe Recruit by Robert Muchamore
Spy Kids
284 books — 645 voters

More lists with this book...

·  15,365 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews

Start your review of The Abduction (Theodore Boone, #2)
Rebecca McNutt
Definitely a wonderful and engaging read! I loved the first in the series but felt it was somewhat unrealistic. Since then I've really gained a new appreciation for the Theodore Boone books and I love that Grisham has written a series that hopefully will inspire younger readers to pursue law and police work as a field of interest. Theodore himself is a really admirable guy who'll put his love of legal investigation to the test when it comes to helping his friends.
babyhippoface
Grisham is making me crazy with this book. It's like he decided to write for kids, but he doesn't actually know any kids and he just doesn't know how to write for them. And I'm not sure what his editor was thinking when she let so many unrealistic things stay in this book (see my previous updates). You can't abandon reality to make your story work out the way you want it to. That's a cop-out and lazy writing. That's gripe #1.

Gripe #2: Grisham doesn't seem to understand that kids can handle
Carol
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think that sometimes the plot and story can be a bit predictable, but it still definitely fits the genre and includes a lot of basic suspense and mystery, great for a younger audience, but I feel that sometimes it is lacking in depth.

However, it still has a very decent storyline, which I do like. I think I'd prefer a book with a little more complexity in future. Overall, a good read and I'd happily read another book in the series.

I'd recommend this book to young readers because of the
Shreya Rao
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jim
Theodore's friend disappears & he does all he can to find her. This leads to some clashes with the authorities, including his parents & the police. He handles these situations well, in a very adult fashion & Grisham shows the reasons. IOW, the story has some good lessons wrapped into an interesting mystery story. Pretty close to perfect for younger teens.

There's some setup repetition from the first book, a bit tough to take since this is such a short book, but it does mean they can
Charlotte Smith
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book from John grisham. Love Theo.
Michael Weingardt
Good Reads
Theodore Boone the Abduction by John Grisham is a realistic fiction about how Theo’s best friend April went missing one night out of the blue in their small hometown. Theodore is now devastated by this and is doing everything he can to locate April and figure out who kidnapped her. Multiple people believe it was Jack Leeper who is April’s uncle that kidnapped her because he escaped from prison at the same time she went missing. I like this book because the vocabulary was easy and they
Noriko
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, mystery
Solid mystery for juvenile readers from John Grisham.
As this book features more juvenile side of Theo than the previous book, the adult part of me wasn’t attracted to this book as much, but I give you this book had its own intrigues, mysteries, thrills and tension that surely entertains a wide range of readers.

The character dynamics among Theo’s family is well-showcased and depicted in this book as well, and I have a feeling the one between Theo and Ike would be a recurring theme in this
NuReader21
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-connection
Found this book on a book sale, nice hard cover, it has John Grisham written in beautiful eye cathing red glossy letters and thought "it's John Grisham's", how bad could it be! So I'm still a bit disapointed now... So maybe the story was for younger audiences but hey I was once a 13 year old too and i still think I could handle more dose of suspense in a book. Nothing happens... and that's it.
Ginger
Dec 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children ages 10-12
Good for the age wrote for. I bought this for my nephew and chose to read before giving them to him.
Darcy (Daydreamingofbookdragons)
(2.75)

Question: did John Grisham forget part of the plot of his own book in Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer? Because in that Theodore was trying to help April get through the divorce of her parents and choosing which one to live with, and yet, in this book they're suddenly back together again with absolutely no mention of having ever divorced only a few weeks/months earlier.

I imagine this book would also have an anti-climatic/disappointing ending to new readers (I was rereading this and had
Aizuddin Khalid
Not that interesting of a plot for a legal thriller. The storyline did have a suspense feel in the beginning, some fun spots with Pete the Parrot and Judge Yeck, and of which showcased Theo's natural talent as a lawyer, but the final resolve made little interest to the overall story. A disappointment for a case billed as an "Abduction".

Did the story matter to the next episodes of Theodore Boone? Perhaps. But did it have to be that long of a novel? Perhaps not.

Still a fan of Theo, I hope the
Lyndia Ramsey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down. To have such an accomplished author using his expertise in books for younger readers (or adults who enjoy a good middle School read) is pure joy. After laying the foundation for his series in Theodore Boone Kid Lawyer, this next book in the series takes off from the very first page in a manner of writing that would be expected from one such as John Grisham, and continues until the very last page. I can't wait to jump right into the next one!
Carson J. Eisner
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Abduction is a great follow-up book to Theo Boone's first story. I loved it so much that I read it in just one sitting! I would definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the first book in this series.
Debra
For my written review, please check out the link below:
Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Tracey
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Tracey by: one of my SAT students
Oh, John Grisham...maybe I'm nostalgic when remembering your adult books that I've read in the past but this YA book just isn't doing it for me. What happened to your writing skills? This book is exciting, yes, but also predictable. Very predictable. And sure, it's targeted to 6th through 8th graders but you're really selling them short with the lack of advanced vocabulary in this book.

Theodore Boone: The Abduction is an okay book. I can understand its appeal: it's fast-paced, it's exciting,
Atticus Hatfield
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Theodore Boone: the Abduction by John Grisham

Have you ever read any of John Grisham’s crime thrillers? He is well known to be a great author for adult crime novels. Although he’s mainly an adult author, he is also known for his children’s series, Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer. It sounds pretty clever to create a kids version of his bestselling books, right? Wrong. This is really just a poorly-written version of his adult books, with a weaker plot. It’s not a deep, brain-snatching book. The only age
Jake Manu
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. i've read it before, but i had a frantic rush around to find something to fit into one of my 2 last categories. This is about Theodore Boone, a 13 year old wannabe lawyer who's best friend goes missing and so he thinks it's his job to find her. an awesome adventure, and probably the most realistic book i've ever read.
I decided to read this book because i either had to read a book written in 2010 or 2011 or one written by a New Zealander, and i chose the first option.
Sita
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
I first read John Grisham during a summer holiday many years ago. I was poking through my uncle's library looking for something to read and he recommends "The Firm". I never heard of him before, but my uncle is a lawyer so no surprise he'd picked it up :)I read it and I was hooked. I read almost all of his books including the non-lawyer stuff. So of course when Theodore Boone came around I just have to pick it up.

This is actually a children's book, a charming one at that. For me it's like a
Mellodi Parks
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book as well, just as much as I did the first before it. This series may have started to change my mind on the entire crime drama entirely. However, it still won't be a favorite. Just maybe, a once in a while thing instead. Even though geared towards children, I could not put this book down and read it in one sitting. Give this series a try.
Sarita
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute easy read. I enjoyed the view point from Theodore, 13 year old boy. It is a very clean story which any teen should be able to enjoy.
Brooke Vigil
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Didn't think they would find her
Praneeth Uppari
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
You'd think you've heard the last of a kidnap story, right? But, John Grisham adds his expertise to "The Abduction" and makes the old kidnap story a little more interesting by adding the young lawyer, Theodore Boone, to the mix. Theodore Boone is an aspiring lawyer that continues to impress people around the town of Strattenburg, PA where the courthouse is the focal point of the town.Grisham continues the story of Theodore from "The Kid Lawyer" with a murder trial to the case of the kidnap of ...more
Aiden Bluh
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very good mystery book! It started with this guy in 8th grade named Theodore (Theo) Boone. Theo really likes the law and already knows a lot about it, mostly because both of his parents are lawyers! When he's not reading or at school, he'll be working in his mothers law firm! Theo's worst fear becomes a reality when his best friend April goes missing! It's up to him and his friends to save her!
Theo looks day and night for clues or anything that can be useful! The town is fearing the
Nathan Carmona
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book “Theodore Boone The Abduction” is made by John Grisham is a very interesting book that has many different characters and scenarios within the story. Throughout the story the whole book is about a kidnapped girl and a close friend named Theodore Boone trying to find her. Theodore has faced many obstacles on his journey to find April Finnemore. Many scenarios include Theo being in a spot as a lawyer for a friends parrot and a scene of his life and school. Theodores friend is someone who ...more
GabeGHS2020
This book was a somewhat light read. For someone looking for a quick, easy read, this mistery novel should be on the top of your list. "The Abduction" is a strong sequel to "Kid Lawyer", as it begins with a big problem: Theo's best friend, April, has gone missing. Throughout the book, Theo and his friends must try and find April before it is too late. Along the way, he must avoid some stressful situations with adults, stay determined to do the right thing, and hang onto the hope that his friend ...more
TheBookWorm🐛 🐛
This was a good book! It was a little slow at times, but at other times it was rather exciting. When I found out who kidnapped April, I wasn’t really surprised. From the beginning I pretty much knew who it was. That author could have also made it a little more suspenseful as well. Over all, it is a pretty good book.
Denise
So I am in between two and three stars on this one, so all in all, for me, it’s about a 2.8 ... a decent, very easy read, just that, very much like the first book, not all that exciting. If my book club didn’t choose this sequel, as they had choose the first book, I probably wouldn’t have read it.
Elliot Barrett
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
16FarrenkothenG
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The opening of the book was very strong and it created a good sense of mystery from the start. I really liked it as it involved more danger and different characters from the first one. There was a mild plot twist at the end which I really liked. I would recommend this story as it was very exciting.
Book Review : Theodore Boone-The Abduction 1 3 Aug 20, 2016 07:36PM

• Manhunt (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #3)
  • Uncle John's All-Purpose Extra-Strength Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, #13)
  • Notorious
  • Ali Cross
  • Carl Hiaasen Collection: Hoot, Flush, Scat, Chomp
  • Hide and Seek (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #2)
  • The Perfect Star (The Perfect Score, #3)
  • Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • AMERICAN SNIPER
  • Mr. Lemoncello's All-Star Breakout Game (Mr. Lemoncello's Library, #4)
  • Pack Leader - A Noah Wolf Thriller
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Chronicles of a Bering Sea Captain
  • Pinch Hit
  • UNA VIDA CON PROPÓSITO (ED. LIMITADA)
  • Flim-Flam Man: A True Family History
  • Kate the Great: Winner Takes All
"Long before his name became synonymous with the modern legal thriller, he was working 60-70 hours a week at a small Southaven, Mississippi law practice, squeezing in time before going to the office and during courtroom recesses to work on his hobby—writing his first novel.

Born on February 8, 1955 in Jonesboro, Arkansas, to a construction worker and a homemaker, John Grisham as a child dreamed of

Theodore Boone (7 books)
  • Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer (Theodore Boone, #1)
  • The Accused (Theodore Boone, #3)
  • The Activist (Theodore Boone, #4)
  • The Fugitive (Theodore Boone, #5)
  • The Scandal (Theodore Boone, #6)
  • The Accomplice (Theodore Boone, #7)
“And I'm sure Theo can always find her.” 3 likes
“with the door locked, usually around 3:00 p.m. Everyone who worked at the law firm of Boone & Boone knew that Woods was upstairs, shoes off, feet on the desk, phone on Do Not Disturb, snoring away for thirty minutes every afternoon. “You can tough it out,” his father added. Theo’s problem at this moment was his habit of trying to avoid school. Headaches, coughs, food poisoning, pulled muscles, stomach gas—Theo had tried them all and would try them again. He didn’t hate school; in fact, he usually enjoyed it once he got there. He made good grades and enjoyed his friends. Theo, though, wanted to be at the courthouse, watching trials and hearings, listening to the lawyers and judges, chatting with the policemen and the clerks, even the janitors. Theo knew them all. “There’s another reason I can’t go to school,” he said, though he knew this was a battle he would not win. “Let’s hear it,” his mother said. “Okay, there’s a manhunt underway, and I need to go help. How often do we have a manhunt in Strattenburg? This is a big deal, especially since it’s my close friend they’re looking for. I need to” 1 likes