Start by marking “Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids” as Want to Read:
Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids

Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  356 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Adding honor as a factor in raising kids …and parent-child relationships.

Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller offer a thorough program for establishing honor as a basis of family life — not just children honoring parents, but parents respecting children and children honoring each other. Even if honor seems a long way off in your household, you will find practical suggestio
Published October 17th 2000 by Shaw Books

Be the first to ask a question about Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids

Charlotte B
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
this book has a ridiculous book cover that actually turned me off from reading it. but i'm so glad i ended up skimming a few passages and liking what i read. i would say this is the best practical and sound parenting book i've read! the major plus is how it also give tips in dealing with the overall relationship dynamics in the family. all about honor. old concept, but freshly presented and so practical! there's a whole chapter at the end about dealing with teens. good to plan ahead for these ye ...more
Penny Minding Mom
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was pretty skeptical when I read the title “Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes…in you and your kids!”, but lately the whining and bad attitudes

in my house was starting to get way out of hand so I was willing to try anything to get it sorted out.

Now I’d like to say all this whining and attitude was coming from my kids, but it wasn’t. I have to say I was (am) part of the problem, only I didn’t realize it at

first. After reading the first couple of chapters in the book, I cam
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars, but I feel it's more like 3.8. It had some good ideas and I think the premise is excellent. I've always used the word "respect" when teaching my kids how to behave towards others. But this book makes a distinction between respect and honor. You respect someone because of their position (parent, teacher, policeman, etc.). But you can honor anyone and you honor by serving and placing the needs and considerations of others above your own. You can respect without honoring, i.e. yo ...more
Lewis Noles
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Gave me food for thought in the area of parenting.
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mandis-shelf
Excellent book about instilling an honoring and respectful attitude towards all others in your children and in yourself.
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really like their concept of focusing on honor, and how that changes the attitudes and behaviors of kids when families go beyond obedience and respect, but emphasize honoring each other in the home. Their definition of honor is very practical: treating people as special, having a good attitude, and doing more than what's expected, but the focus isn't on outward behavior, but on inner heart change, which leads to better outward behavior.

There's a bunch of weekly family 'lessons' to do with you
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY liked this book. I've read lots of parenting books and this is by far the best, most useful one I've read. I think if everyone would live like this the world would be a MUCH better place. It's obviously not possible to live this way all the time because we are not perfect, but it does give great things to strive towards in order to create a warm, united family unit. Although it's biblically based, I'm not sure I'd really call it a Christian book since all of the concepts I would hope mo ...more
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really was attracted to this book because as my preschoolers are getting into more sophisticated language and ideas, we sometimes get stuck in patterns of whining and attitude problems.

I think this book really picks up at chapter 6. The first chapters lay out the ideals of honor parenting, but I think they suffer from too many examples and somewhat disjointed explanations surrounding the anecdotes. Chapter six gets to the heart of how to address the problems each family may be facing.

There is
Oct 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
My youngest son whines a lot. Being the good social worker that I am, I am pretty sure that he whines because it works. The problem, in my estimation, is that I'm not quite sure what way the whining is working. I am very careful to NOT give him whatever he is whining for, yet the whining persists. So, I figure he is getting something out of these interactions and I picked up this book hoping to figure that out. Clearly, I approach my parenting with my children in a largely behaviorist way. If yo ...more
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I randomly grabbed this off the library shelves when looking through some parenting books. Our son has been in whining and bad attitude overload recently so I thought I'd give the book a try.

I was pleasantly surprised by the book. The idea is all based on honor and how a family can bring honor into their home, both honoring the parents and honoring the children. They have some great pointers on how to discipline honor-based and ways that get to the child's heart instead of just solving the imme
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: momma
From what I have read of Teaching Self Government, this book is a great stepping stone for that book. It has many of the same principles. I do like the way he presented many of the topics. I especially loved the idea of the Teen Challenge. I do wish he would write a book JUST on that. And I really appreciated the chapter on how the teens brain changes and how we then, need to change with them. I love the focus on honor, but I will admit that the Teaching Self Government book is a must follow up ...more
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The title caught my eye at the library on a day when I had about had it with the attitudes. Yes, of myself and my kids. Honor-based parenting is a more accurate title, but not one that would have led me to pick this book up.

Overall, it turns out that our ideal approach to parenting lines up very closely with the authors. So, no big surprise that I liked it. Why I loved it was the clear communication of the principles and actionable suggestions.

Parents need to model the behavior they want to te
Jennifer Fertig
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about honor. If you have children, want children, like children, don't like children, want to understand family life with children, want to understand your own family when you were a child, then I'd recommend reading this one. Putting others' needs above your own, valuing human life (most specifically the ones living under your roof) and enjoying life, doing more than what's expected, having a good attitude, general "check ya-self before ya-wreck ya-self" as we like to say in our ...more
Sep 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This has been the only parenting book so far that I have read that I would actually feel good in recommending to someone. Most parenting books tell you what you should do and make judgments about how your kid will turn out rotten if you don't do what they suggest. This one actually gives PRACTICAL advice on what you should do with your children and how you should teach them to honor God, parents, and people around them. It even gives conversation starters and other cool tips like that. I hope I ...more
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book had a long and ugly title but the true title was "How to bring honor and respect into your family". I think there were some great points to learn from but it was difficult to keep reading. I did like the questions at the end of each chapter to make sure you truly understood what was discussed. My kids are young and I think this would be a great read again when they are teens and more discussions can take place.
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
While the ideas are good for older children, the solutions don't really apply to a 2 year old. Yes the foundations can be laid to avoid future problems, but teaching a 2 year old honor won't stop her from whining now.

I also felt like the examples were made up, they didn't feel like real interactions that had actually happened.

Overall a great book its just geared toward older kids than mine (4,2,& 6 weeks)
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
After reading so many parenting books and finding them un-helpful and frustrating, I am finally reading so that are useful! The concept of teaching honor instead of simply demanding obedience and the step-by-step guide to helping children use "wise-appeals" have both been useful. I need to remember to re-read this when my kids approach the teenage years, too.
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this book with my Mom's Group and really loved having a parenting book that is about the child's heart, not just punishment. I love this idea of honor and appreciated the book including ways to teach honor. It is a very easy, quick read. There is also a great companion workbook we used with our families.
Maggie Bryant
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful in giving me ideas and stories to learn from so I can apply it to help raise my kids. I love that this book has a bibilical base it pulls from and honor and respect is missing in our society. This is a helpful way to help parents teach these very important attributes into our children.
Kristin Karlsrud
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've read this book AT LEAST THREE TIMES and will probably read it again this year. It's an easy read, GREAT examples, and helps move your child from "respecting" to "HONORING" parents (do things the first time with a HAPPY HEART - or good attitude
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While I really dislike the title of this book, as well as the front cover (I changed the title to Honor based parenting :)...this really is a great, practical, easy-to-read book that discusses honor in conjunction with obedience in parenting.
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
this has some good tips but it didn't explain how exactly to implement these things in a realistic way. Teaching your kids to "honor each other" isn't terribly realistic when they hate each others guts...
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really, really liked this book. The idea of it is to teach your kids honor-honoring parents and each other-then they will learn to be more respectful because they honor one another. It gave me great ideas to help with our family!
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I REALLY enjoyed this book. It had many wonderful ideas/concepts in it. Not even just for parents and children I think it could go for anyone working with kids, grandparents, carechild givers etc. I have a whole new outlook on HONOR now.
Joanne Miller
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like it. I enjoyed writing it with Scott Turansky. This is my go to recommendation when I give advice for sibling conflict, disrespect, selfishness, or even just meanness. It's also a book that brings a nurturing atmosphere into any home.
Brooke Benton
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have to say, I was about to give this book 3 stars, mainly bc it seemed like mostly common sense info. But then I finished and read the appendix and I totally changed my opinion. It gives some AWESOME step by step instructions on how to teach your kids about honor. So so good!
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
I think the title is misleading. This book actually goes far beyond annoying kid behaviours. It is a proactive guide to instilling honor in the family. It's not just for families with problem children. Every family could benefit from this!
Jenny Min
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like the philosophy of this book: I stilling a sense of honor in children. It is not a step-by-step how-to guide, but the author did a good job in helping parents understand the key goals in parenting.
Jun 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian parents
Recommended to Sarah by: HEAV convention
This book outlines an honor-based approach to parenting. I love how it not only helps you teach your children to honor you, but to also honor each other as YOU honor THEM. It definitely changes my mindset about what biblical parenting looks like! I highly recommend it.
Jan 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
good practical ideas.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • She's Gonna Blow!: Real Help for Moms Dealing with Anger
  • The Heart of Anger: Practical Help for Prevention and Cure of Anger in Children
  • Making Children Mind without Losing Yours
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Sacred Parenting: How Raising Children Shapes Our Souls
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • Life Skills for Kids: Equipping Your Child for the Real World
  • Grace-Based Parenting
  • The Way They Learn
  • A Mother's Heart: A Look at Values, Vision, and Character for the Christian Mother
  • Raising a Thinking Child
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • Teach the Children: An Agency Approach to Education
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Instructing a Child's Heart

Scott Turansky has been a pastor and missionary for more than 33 years and is an author of several books. In addition to pastoring full time, Scott also conducts parenting seminars on Saturdays around the United States ( He is the cofounder of the National Center for Biblical Parenting ( and has co-authored four books.
More about Scott Turansky...

Nonfiction Deals

• A Room of One's Own
  • Life in a Medieval City
  • Untangled: Guiding Teenage Girls Through the Seven Transitions into Adulthood
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Weekends at Bellevue: Nine Years on the Night Shift at the Psych E.R.
  • Triggers: Creating Behavior That Lasts--Becoming the Person You Want to Be