Start by marking “Three Men Seeking Monsters: Six Weeks in Pursuit of Werewolves, Lake Monsters, Giant Cats, Ghostly Devil Dogs & Ape-men” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
They sought out the strange.
They investigated the inexplicable.
They had one hell of a hangover.

On an odyssey of oddities that would take them all to the very limits of their imagination (and inebriation), bestselling author Nick Redfern teamed up with professional monster-hunters Jonathan Downes and Richard Freeman. For six weeks in the summer of 2001, the intrepid-yet
Published March 2nd 2004 by Gallery Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Three Men Seeking Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Men Seeking Monsters

Janelle Hammonds
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
I can never get enough of the sci-fi/supernatural genre but I lost interest in the book about halfway through. I felt as though the story took too many different turns, which I understand that in this situation that is highly plausible but it just wasn’t for me.
Julia Pillard
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
If you're interested in stories about cryptids, this is a book for you! Redfern's chronicle of his trip is filled with a number of strange creatures. It's not necessarily my favorite read, but it will take up a rainy afternoon.
Christopher D.
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent overview of paranormal investigation. Redfern documents his work extremely well, and isn't afraid to delve into the strangest of stories.
Dee Eisel
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science, supernatural
Ever since I read this book, Scribd has said "Since you liked this, you might like..." and listed books. Every time I see that, I keep thinking "'Like' is such a strong word for how I feel..."

It's not that Three Men Seeking Monsters is a bad book. It's fun, it's playful, and Redfern clearly doesn't mind poking fun at his friends when they earn it. At the same time, there was more drinking in this book than in The Great Gatsby and more eating than The Hobbit. I was less than thrilled about the wa
Joseph
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Immensely readable in a very pulpy sort of way.

First off, don't read this book for deep meaning or understanding about the mysteries of Fortean Zoology. This is Nick Redfern writing for himself. Nick is naive in a very good-natured sort of way, who believes wholeheartedly in conspiracies and paranormal explanations for even some of his most mundane experiences.

This is a story of three friends who share a love for the unknown and unexplained, who decide to take a one and done trip throughout Eng
Charles Kos
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent entertainment!

There is something highly poetic about these three characters, a bit of a flawed self-sabotage in drinking while investigating.

Nick's writing style is a little dry.

They meet an old witch who tries to educate them, then hurls curses. They explore the great mansion of some notable, who allows the access to his library, etc. Explore his dungeons, etc.

They never find anything until the surprise at the end, which is a bit of a Deux Ex Machina that saves the book from lack
Emily
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
There were several parts of this book that were laugh-out-loud funny and a couple that were scary enough to made me move to a well-lit room with other people. The whole premise of the book, that our world is inhabited by Cormons - demons from another dimension- that appear to us as phantom cats, Bigfoot, sea monsters and ape-men and feed on our fear, is really creepy. Really, really creepy. However, the fact that the three sat down to a breakfast of eggs, bacon and sliced tomatoes is pointless a ...more
Robert Bennett
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
This wasn't an awful book but the description is pretty misleading. It is really more a description of three decidedly odd Brits who take a road trip to drink and, incidentally, do a very cursory investigation of some local legends.

Not creepy at all and more humor than horror but not in a particularly great way. If you can find the book for a good price it's worth a read but I wouldn't ever be likely to read it again and I'm a voracious re-reader.

The book just didn't seem to click with me on any
Jami
Jun 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash
This book is stupid to the extreme. Only anti-vaxxer nonsense is worse than this.

Let me spoil it for you. Three men, drunk all the time (and openly admitting to it) travel all over looking for various cryptids. And of course, because they're drunk to the point where they're likely to hallucinate, the find them! The author ends up with the fundamentalist "Christian" conclusion that all aliens, Big Foot, Nessie, etc are demons out for our eternal souls. Though from the way these three drink, their
Rob Addams
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! A fascinating tale of three blokes travelling around the UK in search of, well, monsters. The author explains the journey in depth which allows you to really immerse yourself in their six week trip.
  • The Complete Guide to Mysterious Beings
  • The Beast of Boggy Creek The True Story of the Fouke Monster
  • Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America
  • Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld
  • Secret Life: Firsthand, Documented Accounts of Ufo Abductions
  • PSI Spies: The True Story of America's Psychic Warfare Program
  • Gods of Eden
  • Revelations
  • Mysterious America: The Ultimate Guide to the Nation's Weirdest Wonders, Strangest Spots, and Creepiest Creatures
  • UFOs for the 21st Century Mind: A Fresh Guide to an Ancient Mystery
  • Ra Material
  • The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever
  • Witnessed: The True Story of the Brooklyn Bridge UFO Abductions
  • Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters
  • The Custodians: Beyond Abduction
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion: Tesla, UFOs, and Classified Aerospace Technology
  • Forbidden Gates: How Genetics, Robotics, Artificial Intelligence, Synthetic Biology, Nanotechnology, and Human Enhancement Herald The Dawn Of TechnoDimensional Spiritual Warfare
5612029
Nick Redfern is a British best-selling author, Ufologist and Cryptozoologist who has been an active advocate of official disclosure, and has worked to uncover thousands of pages of previously-classified Royal Air Force, Air Ministry and Ministry of Defence files on UFOs dating from the Second World War from the Public Record Office.

He has has appeared on a variety of television programmes in the
More about Nick Redfern...