Start by marking “The Butterfly Box” as Want to Read:
The Butterfly Box

The Butterfly Box

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,289 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Federica Campione adores her father. No matter that Ramon, a distinguished traveller and writer, spends months away from their home on the exotic Chilean coast; as soon as he's back, his daughter has eyes for no one but him. When he gives her a magical box from Peru she believes he will always be there for her. Devastated when her parents' marriage falls apart, Federica is ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published November 7th 2002 by Coronet (first published 2002)

Goddess Of Blah
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure whether I enjoyed this book or utterly loathed it. Some of the characters in the book (Nuno, Toby, Julian, Sam, etc) redeemed this to 4 stars otherwise I'd most likely rate it a 0 star.

Ramon Campione Story
The plot totally lost integrity for me due to the sexist, irritating, weak, condescending creep that is Ramon Campione (the principal protagonist's father). He was an unmitigated diaster - the most selfish, pathetic weak loathsome being whom I felt utter disgust. Furthermore, who
Melissa
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book! I could read it over and over again.
The characters are so easy to connect with, to fall in love with. Especially the Appleby family.
I really enjoyed the variety of settings, I feel like I could visit these places and recognize the hills, the shoreline, the yappy dog down the road.
An all-time favourite.
Jana
Dec 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
Goddamnit!, she did it again. She wrote this romance that I read in three hours, because it was so bad and I was so bored to do anything else but breathe, eat and read, and still it was NOT passionately written and deeply felt, how she wrote on her page. ''The Butterfly Box is an epic saga of love, possession and metamorphosis.'' Where can that be found in this romance, please point those pages. I'll borrow you my cursor, here you are --> ... See, you can’t, because it’s NON-EXISTENT!
Suzie
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
This wasn't a bad book. Lots of melodrama in it which I found over the top. A bit of a classic 'what did I learn after it was too late' kind of book - those annoy me - so probably why I didn't enjoy it as much as others will.
Tamara Straetemans
Nogal uitgerekt en langdradig verhaal dat ik vooral bleef lezen dankzij enkele interessante personages met zowel hun goede als slechte maar vooral menselijke kantjes. Waar het einde sommige mensen zal verwarmen, vond ik het tegenvallen... voor mij hoeft een boek echt niet "en ze leven nog lang en gelukkig" einde te hebben...
Shonaigh Mudie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-reads
This book made a big impression on me, reading this in my teens. I just loved its characters and that it followed the families and of course Federica's life. Whilst reading it was as though you grew up with the characters and you felt like you knew them well. It certainly encouraged me to seek more by this author, as well as encourage desires to travel. Very easy to read, enjoyed the setting both the Cornish coast and also Chile. It is every bit the saga it is described. Feel that this will stic ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the depth of background to this story. Instead of it simply circling around Federica and her life, Montefiore really built upon the lives of many other characters within her life. The only downfall I felt was the end. There had been so much description throughout about the rest of Federica's life and other aspects, that when it came to the end, I felt it was more of a quick conclusion rather than a meaningful ending.
Hannah Symonds
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was given to me for Christmas, having never read any of Santa Montefiore's books before I wasn't sure what to expect. I have seen some good reviews about this book so thought I would give it a try. I have to say I read it in a few days but I was utterly enthralled by it. Santa has unfolded the story with beautiful settings and the characters were written with so much detail. I have even decided to treat myself to one of Santa's other books.
Sarah Woods
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
hmmm I'm really not sure...I kept picking it up and putting it down with long gaps in between. I found the ending a little too good to be true but the main characters of Sam, Ramon, Helena and Fede were well observed sides of a whole person in love. the selfish love, the claustrophobic love, innocent love and pure honest love were all wrapped up in over the top but well written characters. it took a long time to get going and then kinda hurtled towards happy endings for all.
Mollie Westhead
My fourth Santa Montefiore book and every one I have given 5*,absolutely stunningly beautiful and mesmerising! I feel like I'm under a trance whenever reading one of her books because I'm so enchanted,by far one of my favourite authors just amazing storyline,characters(especially the consistency of animals!) and everything is just perfect,wow.
callan una
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: very-enjoyable
A really enjoyable read - the story moves along at a really good pace. The characters are very well constructed, your sympathies as a reader are cleverly manipulated between the characters at different stages of their lives. It is cleverly written and is by far the best of Santa Montefiore's books that I have read so far. I couldn't put it down!
September Dee
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this in spite of the character of Ramon who I must say bothered my a great deal. It is a story of love, different types of love. I especially identified with the child who so adores her father. Santa has a way of transporting you to exotic destinations and plunking you right in the middle of the family.
Victoria
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of the many reminders, of why novels and books are some of the best forms of escapism. The book is just enthralling and pretty much difficult to put down. If you love Cecilia Ahern, you'll love Santa Montefiore just as much.
Pat
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Santa Montefiore is such a fabulous author. I really loved this book. It sucked me in from page 1! I have read 9 of her books in a row and am taking a break and reading another author.
Ruth Angus
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading enjoyed this. Perfect holiday reading. I borrowed the audio book and listened on long walks. Loved the vivid descriptions of Chille.
Suzy
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: me
This is the second time I have read this book and I loved it just as much, one of my favourite books!
Ива Блажевич
May 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Simpatican ljubavni roman.
Goska A
Aug 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
What a shit..
D.B. Wright
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Well written and I enjoyed reading it. Loved the geographical locations the story was set in, but I felt some of the ways the author tied the loose ends of the plot might be a little unrealistic. But hey, it's fiction and it still makes for a great read
Goele
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
zeer aangrijpend boek.
graag gelezen, soms grappig en op ander momenten stonden de tranen in mijn ogen.
Jackie Kiernan
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Santa Montefiore's novels as they take you to exoctic locations and you meet eccentric characters. I really enjoyed the story although a bit far fetched in places but thats the idea of a good story is'nt it, to take you away from the normal everyday!
Mrs V Frost
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
enjoyed very much
Saarah Niña
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
When I received this book, from my sister, it was in quite a state. Though, luckily, the pages were intact. Perhaps, because of the sentimentality behind this one novel, as well as within its pages, it took me so long to read it.

I must say I definitely enjoyed it, I'm actually wishing I was a part of the eccentric Appleby family and a close friend of Nuno's. I don't believe I have read a book quite like this one before, I definitely liked the way that the reader could gain a comprehensive pictur
Marijn Vanbelle
HET VLINDERKISTJE

Federica wordt geboren in Chili. Haar Engelse moeder Helena is getrouwd met Ramon, een schrijver. Hij verblijft echter het grootste deel van het jaar in het buitenland. Helena, die niet meer tegen de eenzaamheid kan, stelt hem een ultimatum: hij moet vaker thuis zijn of zij zal met de kinderen naar Cornwall terugkeren. Ramon weigert en de trotse Helena verhuist naar Engeland. Federica koestert daar het prachtige ingelegde vlinderkistje dat haar vader haar ooit gaf. Ze keert jare
Deane
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Quite a long read....552 pages of very small print....a family saga with the head of the family, Ramon Campione being a first class jerk....needed his freedom to come and go as he pleased to pursue his life of photography and writing. After months of his wife or children never hearing from him, he pops up unexpectedly to be celebrated as a loving husband to his wife and children while all the time wondering when he can get away again. I did like the daughter, Federica and the grandparents on bot ...more
Pat Osment
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book,as always she sets the scene so well.I could easily imagine both Federicas life in Chile andin Cornwall.The book illustrated the different types of love and how by being possessive and controlling love could die.Helena stifled Ramon but Estella didn't.Torguil tried to do the same with Federicas but it was Sam who waited patiently and allowed Federicas to realise her true feelings.The only thing to disapoint me was the hasty conclusion where everyone seemed to get what ...more
Betita
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meu
Neste romance a autora brinda-nos com, não uma mas várias, histórias de Amor!
Temos o Amor de Ramón pela esposa e pelos filhos, que apsar de longe nunca esmorece, depois temos o Amor dos pais pelos filhos e por fim o Amor incondicional de Frederica por um pai ausente, no final tudo se centra na bela Caixa da Borboleta... Tudo se resume ao Amor e ao facto de sabermos aceitar a vida e os sentimentos dos outros, mas sobretudo saber respeitar esses sentimentos...
Santa Montefíore é sem duvida nenhuma
Nilufa
Dec 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
Although I've given it 3 stars, I must justify myself because it is just one of those books that spans over 30 years of a girl's life (into womanhood). However I read this when I was only thirteen, before I had any real life experiences (I still haven't had any haha) but it is a book I remember very often because of how in depth and detailed it was. I'm sure this book will stay with me for a very long time.
Aletha Annema
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Een mooi verhaal dat voor mij nog best even verder had mogen gaan. Toch miste ik iets, vandaar de 3 sterren. Ik denk dat sommige gebeurtenissen voor mij iets te snel ontknoopten. De ruzie tussen Toby en zijn vader bijvoorbeeld & waarom zei Ingrid dat Sam weg was naar een vriendin terwijl dit niet zo was? Ik vermoed dat dit boek onder handen is genomen door een ijverige redacteur. Ik ga zeker meer lezen van deze schijfster.
Jo Holloway
Sep 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club
I can name just a small number of books I refuse to finish, this one will be added to that list.
A book club choice, I could not get past chapter 15. Boring romance that flits back and forth between Cornwall and Chile. Badly written to say the least...the point however where the Nanny has an affair ( in which she taught how to be a man over night)with the 15year old over sexed character Sam....I was done!
  • Advice for Strays
  • The Summer House
  • Ghost Child
  • Zoenoffer
  • Gardens Of Delight
  • Miss Communicatie (Miss, #1)
  • Betrayed
  • Schuilplaats
  • Allies in Healing: When the Person You Love Is a Survivor of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Hunted
  • Pieter Daens, of hoe in de negentiende eeuw de arbeiders van Aalst vochten tegen armoede en onrecht
  • The Last Year of Being Married
Born in England in 1970 Santa Montefiore grew up on a farm in Hampshire and was educated at Sherborne School for Girls. She read Spanish and Italian at Exeter University and spent much of the 90s in Buenos Aires, where her mother grew up. She converted to Judaism in 1998 and married historian Simon Sebag Montefiore in the Liberal Jewish Synagogue in London. They live with their two children, Lily ...more
More about Santa Montefiore...