Start by marking “DC: The New Frontier, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
DC: The New Frontier, Volume 1

DC: The New Frontier, Volume 1 (DC: The New Frontier #1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  9,797 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Acclaimed writer/artist Darwyn Cooke (Catwoman: Selina's Big Score) turns his attention to the dawn of the Silver Age in DC: The New Frontier — which takes readers on a journey from the end of the Golden Age to the genesis of a bold new heroic era in the late 1950s!

World War II is over. The Cold War has begun. The Age of the Superhero is in decline. But where are the heroe
Published December 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about DC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC

Anne

description

So I read this again a few days ago, and I'm thinking I'm going to have to lower my original (5 star) rating from 4 years ago.
I still really love the art and the concept, but...
This story is actually kind of long-winded and slightly boring.
There's waaaay too much text, and not nearly enough action, in my opinion.
Most of the characters are ones that I've never heard of before, and the fact that they've faded from memory?
Well, that in itself says something.
Martian Manhunter and Flash were
Sesana
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Maybe I came into this from the wrong perspective. I'm not exactly well versed in DC's Silver Age work, and I imagine that those who do will find the nostalgia that much more interesting. Really, I just showed up for the art. That's one place where I was far from disappointed. I love the style, like Paul Dini and Bruce Timm working from Silver Age character designs. It works, and Cooke is really good at doing action scenes. That said, the out-of-costume characters tend to blend together. In many ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Darwyn Cooke imagines the DC heroes back in the Silver Age, the late 1950s and early 1960s, in the first of two volumes called DC: New Frontier. Cooke works in real life events into the superhero story such as the Korean war, Eisenhower, fears over the bomb and McCarthyism. And while the book generally works quite well on the whole, it feels like a lot of heroes are underused - maybe that's the intention - and as a result the book becomes less interesting as it goes on.

The characters who get the
Hayden
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The New Frontier works as an odd piece of historical fiction, re-telling the origins of all the Silver Age superheroes of the early 60's, from the Justice League to B-listers like Jack Kirby's Challengers Of The Unknown, and stringing them together in a very unique story, as if those heroes actually came to prominence in real life during that time.

This volume, I'm assuming, is sort of building up to the events of the second half, because not a whole lot actually happens. We see Superman and Wond
Julio Bonilla
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HISTORY IS MY FAVORITE SUBJECT! A new vision on classic characters!
Nicholas
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Masterful. Darwyn Cooke is amazing. Set in the heyday of the Silver Age, Cooke begins a story that is at once nostalgically heroic and reminiscent of a simpler time, and profoundly complex, dealing with political and sociological issues ignored by writers of the period. In this story is the seed of the idea that would become Marvel's Civil War, and it's done much, much better than Millar could ever have hoped for.

New Frontier is a story of origins and of transition. The JSA is on the way out an
Donovan
May 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nope
I just have to admit I don't like Darwyn Cooke.

This begins with what appears to me a pointless introductory story, rambling into lovingly imperialistic historical revisionism where America's superheroes win WWII and then Korea, then conquer nostalgia back at home.

This story doesn't feel like it's saying anything new. From the get go there are rather obvious Watchmen themes of historical revisionism and anti-heroes, McCarthyism, patriotism and metafiction. But the characters, the iconic super h
Anna (Curiosity comes before Kay)
I get the cultural significance of the story, especially in relation to the effect McCarthy-ism had on the comics industry. I also liked how unique the art style was compared to a lot of what you see nowadays. That said, I found it kinda boring and I was unfamiliar with most of the characters that weren't obvious (i.e. Wonder Woman, Batman, etc). I am gonna read the second one to see how it ends though.
Derek
This is a hard comic book to like. For me mostly because it tries to read like Alan Moore's watchmen, even the formats almost similar: WW2 and the fall from grace of superheroes and masked vigilante. The first chapter for me was the crowning moment, that was novel. And I loved the artwork and the Losers. After that it was hard to get really involved. Not because the book was particularly bad, the voice was actually nice, it's everything else that didn't do it for me. For someone to really enjoy ...more
JB
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Dc: The New Frontier. A retelling of the transition of Dc's Golden Age into it's Silver Age. It chronicles events in WWII, the war in Korea, the Cold War, the Space Race and of course you have Dc's most famous heroes in the middle of it all.

In Volume 1 you're introduced to Hal Jordan before he becomes a Green Lantern and you get to see how the Martian Manhunter J'onn J'onzz arrives on Earth and how he studies mankind and tries to become one of us.

Superman and Wonder Woman are used by the US go
  • All-Star Superman, Vol. 2
  • Superman: Secret Identity
  • JSA: The Golden Age
  • Superman for All Seasons
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • The Green Lantern/Green Arrow Collection, Vol. 1
  • 52, Vol. 1
  • Gotham Central, Vol. 1: In the Line of Duty
  • Justice, Volume 1
  • Justice League International, Vol. 1
  • Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation
  • JLA: Year One
  • Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity
Darwyn Cooke was an Eisner Award winning comic book writer, artist, cartoonist and animator, best known for his work on the comic books Catwoman, DC: The New Frontier and Will Eisner's The Spirit.

In 1985, Cooke published his first comic book work as a professional artist in a short story in New Talent Showcase #19, but economic pressure made him leave the career and he worked in Canada as a magazi
More about Darwyn Cooke...

DC: The New Frontier (2 books)
  • DC: The New Frontier, Volume 2