Start by marking “Freaky Friday” as Want to Read:
Freaky Friday

Freaky Friday (Andrews Family #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  7,106 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
Like Mother, Like Daughter...Annabel Andrews is tired of her mother telling her on what to do. She's tired of being told to do her homework, clean up her room, and be nice to her little brother, Ape Face. If she were an adult, she could do anything she wanted, like watch TV all day and eat marshmallows for breakfast.

One Friday morning, Annabel's wish comes true when she wa
Published October 31st 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Freaky Friday, please sign up.

Jesse the Bookworm Yes it is good! It is a good fun book to read

Carlos De Eguiluz
Apr 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Así que esto es lo que está pasando...
Compré este libro por Amazon hace no más de un mes, y para ser franco, lo hice porque era mi deber, ya que la película —del año 2003, interpretada por Lindsay Lohan y Jamie Lee Curtis— era una de mis favoritas cuando apenas era un pequeño feto-renacuajo de cinco años de edad, so... se lo debía a mi inexistente infancia.
Volviendo un poco más al tópico de esto, leí la novela porque... no lo sé, sólo sé que lo hice, y me alegro mucho de haberlo hecho, dado que
Melki
I found this well-loved ex-library book on the dollar table at a used bookstore. That Edward Gorey cover just screamed "Buy me!" Plus, it was, well, you know - a buck.

I've never seen either film version, but I'm familiar enough with the plot to know that at NO point in my life would I have EVER wanted to switch places with my mother.
(Though, on closer examination, in my illustrious career as a homemaker/housewife, it seems I have done exactly that. Damn! That sucks.)

Rodgers used a kind of whiny,
This book was okay. I haven't ever watched the original movie with Jodie Foster but the remake with Lindsey Lohan was much better than this book.

I was a little hesitant to pick this book up when I read that it had been published in the seventies but apart from some old slang words, it was pretty much the same as a newer book. I felt like this book just pushed its message across too hard. It was so obvious that Mary Rodgers was trying to show kids that mothers do a lot and children should respec
Marisa Bisaccia [book whisperer]
Okay so I read this book for a reading challenge otherwise I would of never read it and just enjoyed my memories of the movie. This book wasn't written that great in my opinion and I felt like more of the story was played out in the movie which, made it more interesting. Odd for me to say that because, usually the book is always better. Guess it wasn't the issue in this case.
Jennifer Wardrip
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Samantha Clanton, aka "Harlequin Twilight" for TeensReadToo.com

I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I hear the words Freaky and Friday, I automatically think back to Lindsay Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis circa 2003. But this is a different FREAKY FRIDAY, the original, the better of the two in my opinion (I know there was another movie version in the 70s, but I've not seen it in years, and don't remember much about it besides Jodie Foster). This is the story of Annabel and Ellen
Emily Potter
Oct 27, 2007 rated it did not like it
This is a no no. I LOVE the 1970's movie. My siblings and I grew up on it. But I just dragged myself to the end of the book this week. I wanted to weep. Books shouldn't be that bad. It gave me hope, though, that perhaps one of the books I'm writing can be as bad as this and still get picked up by Disney and made into a classic movie. Sorry Mary Rodgers.
Rebecca McNutt
I'm not always on-board with Disney films, but one that I really liked in junior high school was the 1976 Jodie Foster film Freaky Friday. It was only recently that I discovered it was based on a middle-grade children's novel. The story of a prim and proper mother and her willful, precocious teen daughter, Freaky Friday is funny, weird and surprisingly insightful.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa
I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was great but the book...not so much. This is one of those few times where the movie is better than the book.
Philip
Dad: Starting out, how many stars do you guys want to give the book?

Eleanor: 5!

Gwen: 5!

Poppy: 6!

Gwen: Wait, I mean, 4.

Poppy: SEH-VEN!

Eleanor: You can't give it 7, Poppy. You can only give it 5.

Dad: Have I ever made an executive decision before? I'm giving it 3 stars. And there's nothing you can do about it.

Eleanor: Really? You're giving it really three stars?

Dad: Ahhh...

Gwen: Well, it's a little less than 4.

El: And way less than 5.

Poppy: Or a lot of money.

Dad: I want you to know that I heard how
Melanie
May 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I preferred the movie, but the book was cute too, at times. A bit too juvenile for my tastes, but I can't hold that against the book. It was interesting how the story differed from the movie in a big way (didn't expect that!).
Rebekah
Wow. Just wow. I get that it is dealing with the daily life of a mother and daughter in 1972 by someone who was a young woman in the 50's. But wow. At some point Annabelle herself calls somebody a misogynistic pig or something. And it wasn't the role of housewife at all I take issue with, but the attitude towards her. Granted it was the daughter as mother saying she, herself, was dumb, but also the husband and the way he spoke to her sometimes. And that awful cleaning woman.

I also thought this
Mi

Freaky Friday is certainly not the most sophisticated book but it fulfilled its purpose of keeping me entertained for a while.

In fact, it did not last me for as long as I hoped it would. Not necessarily because it was gripping but because the lettering was rather large for an already short book.
I have seen the film several years back – I cannot remember it well enough to say which I preferred but they were rather different. The main character of the book version – Annabel – felt younger than her
Arminzerella
I’d seen the movies before, but had never read the book on which they were based. It’s hysterical. After a terrible fight with her mother, Annabel Andrews wakes up one morning and realizes that they’ve switched bodies! Actually, she can’t tell if her mom’s in her body because her body is still totally acting like her, so she figures her mom is off somewhere else enjoying someone else’s body. Annabel’s excited to be her mom, until all sorts of things start going wrong, until her brother Ape Face ...more
Charlie Drape
Jan 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Come on Mary Rodgers? You can do better than this. I do not recommend this book to anyone that is a human being on this here planet earth. A young girl wakes up one morning and she turns into her mother, and the mother turns into the daughter? This is incredibly unrealistic and Charles Drape does not dig unrealistic books. Alright, I might be exaggerating that a little bit, I like unrealistic books that are actually entertaining. This doesn't happen often and it is honestly incredibly sad when i ...more
Lisa Rathbun
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this at all. In a way, it was almost didactic - the mother switchies bodies with her daughter to teach her daughter a lesson; daughter realizes how wrong she has been. It was also VERY dated, including a couple slang terms for other races (some expressed by the cleaning lady whom Annabel fires). The humor was way off to me; a phone conversation between the main character and the police was so bad it was excrutiating to read. Also, in my version the cover art shows Lindsay Lohan and ...more
Joana
May 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So basically Anna thinks her mom is ruining her life. 1 morning they switched body. Now Anna is in her moms body and her mom is in her daughter body. They each found out its not easy being each other.
Naomi Collier
I read this as a child- multiple times. I don't know that I want to read it again as an adult. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed, but at the time I really enjoyed this book. I can't even remember how old I was; probably tween to early teen years.
Claire
Aug 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
I love reading young adult books, but this book would have to be excluded from the list. I would argue that I liked the movie more........and yes, I am willing to admit that I watched the movie. The whole concept of the story is interesting, but that is about all this book has.
Amie
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a light cute read; I read this in high school. (the movie that came out a couple of years ago with Lindsey Lohan and Jamie Lee Curtis is pretty well done too)
1labriah
Apr 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty cool book. Sometimes I wish it happened to my mother and I so she should understand what teens really go through these days because she swears she already knows.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up at a used book sale because it looked interesting. Not as good as the Lindsay Lohan movie so far.
Sara
Read as a kid. Liked it, liked the movie. (the Jody Foster one)
Hannah
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: movies
I definitely preferred the movie.
The book was fine, though there was some sketchy content which surprised me, as this is a children's book.
Even so I'm glad that I have familiarized myself with both book and movie.
Christine
I read the 1970s version, in the seventies.
Joan
This was one of the first and maybe most famous body switching titles. Annabelle turns into her Mom for the day. Annabelle has to cope with trying to do her Mom's role which turns out to be considerably harder than she ever expected. Unlike many switching books, this is told solely from Annabelle's pov.

I don't think I was quite in the mood for this title. It is funny but I just wasn't amused by it. These days, the mother would have gotten into trouble for letting the little brother cross the st
Heather
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd never read this book as a young person, and never saw either of the two movies. Now that I have read it, I could definitely see where they could go to make it into a movie! However, there are some pieces that really date the book and make me hesitate before recommending it to a young person.

First, there's some racial language in the book that I really don't think would fly in a new YA book today, even if spoken by a character we're not supposed to like (as it is here). This sort of set my ey
Patrick
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A mid-century classic. A story that stands the test of time. Though the lingo and a little bit of the gender role of Annabel's mom may be dated, Freaky Friday is still a great read for kids today because of the 'grass is always greener' plot. Switching places with her mother, Annabel finds out that being a grown up isn't all it's cracked up to be.

I like how the switch was on purpose due to some method by the mother which is left unexplained. I liked that the switch was unexplained as the real fo
Katherine Martin
I had seen the Lindsey Lohan version of the movie years ago, so I thought that this would be a really easy read. Pretty much just a refresher. It could not have been more different. This was probably a good thing though since I didn't particularly care for the movie. Either way though, I thought the book was just alright. Nothing too impressive, but definitely not a bad book either.
Annabel wakes up one morning and finds that she is in her mother's body. The night before she and her mother got in
Shawn Thrasher
Not as funny as I remembered it being, but still quite clever; the last few pages are worth the entire book. It's a strange book though. It feels a bit out of its time, and there was definitely a line in 1972 between Annabel's mother and the past and Annabel and the feminist future; switching them provided the 1970s reader a look at not only the generation gap but the changing face of gender as well (Annabel's mother would most likely work outside the home today, although living in some big New ...more
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
I read Freaky Friday many times as a kid. It has always been one of my favourite stories. It was also when I realised that I liked Edward Goerey's art and could recognise his illustration style.

Upon rereading this, I realised that I still loved it. I loved Annabel Andrews. She is a smart and savvy thirteen year old. She also had a mouth and was a big reader. I distinctly remember hoping to be her when I became a teen. As a young person who was curtailed by family, I loved and longed for her free
Is it nice? 1 9 May 31, 2012 08:13PM
  • The Fall of the Athenian Empire
  • Goldilocks & Three Bears: Bears Should Share!
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Brigadoon (Vocal Score)
  • A Bolt from the Blue and Other Essays
  • Lisa and David
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Extravagance
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Gidget (Gidget series, #1)
  • The Art of Fiction
  • The Holy Barbarians
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • Monsieur Proust
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Memoirs of General W.T. Sherman
Mary Rodgers was an accomplished author, screenwriter and composer. Her first book--Freaky Friday--won several prizes, and was cited on the ALA Notable Book list. She composed many musicals, and had also amassed credits in television and radio. She had served as Chairman of the Board of the Julliard School and on the Board of Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts.
More about Mary Rodgers...

Andrews Family (3 books)