Start by marking “What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking” as Want to Read:
What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking

What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking

This is a wonderful collection of 160 authentic and tasty recipes of the Old South. Originally published in 1881, it was the first African-American cookbook. Prior to Applewood's edition, it had been reprinted only once in a limited edition of 100 copies. 93849
Published March 1st 1995 by Applewood Books

To ask other readers questions about What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking

Loren
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
I read "What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Southern Cooking" to learn about Mrs. Fisher and her accomplishments, but also to get an idea about the types of ingredients and preparation methods that were utilized during this time period in the south.

Karen Hess provides all the information that could be found on Mrs. Fisher, and provides context to some of the recipes and preparation methods. This isn't a cookbook with the modern kitchen in mind, so don't expect the recipes to be constructed in the same
Sandra Snook
I took a detour. I was reading African American Women of the Old West (a book I am about half way through and am finding facinating) and was caught by the biography of Abby Fisher. She had a notable life, especially as a entrepreneur in the food industry. She is recognized as the author of the first cookbook by an African American woman. I had to see if the cookbook was avialable and it is. I bought the Kindle version for just under $4.00 and am glad I did. There are multiple recipes I am going ...more
cathy ostrowski
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the recipes are similar to other cookbooks of the time

Nothing too unheard of, fun to read. I may try a few of the recipes. Beat(en) Biscuit is also in Fanny Farmer 1896 edition. I made that once just for fun. They were kinda weird, good in soup. Like really hard crackers. Maybe I screwed it up though.
False
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-drink
An exact reprint of the first African-American cookbook published in 1881. Mrs. Fisher, born onto a plantation, mulatto, and raised to cook plantation food via Alabama somehow made herself to San Francisco where was a noted seller of preserves, jellies and pickles. The cookbook covers popular foods of the times, and like most cookbooks of that era you are given very broad terms in how to proceed. Nonetheless, a fascinating artifact from it's time.
Andrew Kirk
Benji Glover
Jun 24, 2018
Dixie Diamond
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Not for everyday use, but an interesting historical cookbook.
Shawn