Start by marking “Batman: Snow” as Want to Read:
Batman: Snow

Batman: Snow (Batman)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  727 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
A stirring story that tells the origin of the deadly Batman foe Mr. Freeze from a new perspective, originally presented in BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT #192-196! A family tragedy forges the obsession of a super-villain, and a young Batman must assemble a strike force to help him deal with the fallout!
Published March 28th 2007 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Sr3yas
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
1.5 Stars

Do you want to build a snowman?

*Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Oh, if you think above image is funny, wait till you see the rest!

Set in early crime fighting days of Batman, this "legend" revolves around the origin of Batman's enemy, Mr. Freeze, and Batman's first attempt to recruit outside help for investigating cases. The story is written by J H Williams III and Dan Curtis Johnson and illustrated by Seth Fisher. And this might be the first time where I got so distracted from the generic st
Sam Quixote
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Bruce Wayne has just started out as the Batman, he's maybe a year or so into learning his new role as this Caped Crusader, and he's starting to feel the heat. So he decides to recruit some out of work, talented underachievers to act as his surveillance/backup team on the various criminals loose in Gotham. Meanwhile, Dr Victor Fries suffers a devastating loss when his ill wife takes a turn for the worse - but can he save her with the ice technology he's been working on?

Dan Curtis Johnson and JH W
Sesana
Dec 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
A sort of Year One (and a half) origin story of Mr. Freeze. I've always liked Mr. Freeze, because of his backstory. The writing here doesn't disappoint. It's very emotionally intense. There's also a sort of side story about Batman recruiting his own group of specialists to help him out. Considering we've never heard of these people before, I think we can guess how that's going to go.

The art style is what's really interesting about the book. I love that cover. Most of the art within is similar. V
J.M.
Oct 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Batman: Snow might not be worth the full price of $14.99, but it is worth getting it on discount or picking up at your local library. I read it while sitting in mine. It's kinda like when someone asks if you liked a certain movie and you respond, "It was pretty good. Definitely worth matinee price." That's Batman: Snow.

It reprints issues #192-196 of the comic series Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, and I was excited at first because I thought J.H. Williams III was the illustrator, and I absol
Sophie
Mar 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I liked this one a lot! After Gordon tells Batman he doesn't work for him and Batman can't expect his help, Batman tries to build his own team. And Victor Fries becomes Mr. Freeze.

I liked the idea of Batman's little helpers, even though Batman goes about it in his own way and, well. You know how he is. It was interesting, though, and the Freeze story was well done. (One of many, many reasons why I hate Joel Schumacher and Arnold Schwarzenegger: I can't read about Mr. Freeze without having his f
JB
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-dc-collection
Great unusual art for a Batman story. There's a lot of color. It isn't as dark as the usual Batman story.

The 3 stars are for the art. The story didn't realy feel right. Batman didn't feel like Batman at times.

I liked Alfred in this and Jim Gordon.
But Batman felt a little off.

Still, it's worth checking out for the art alone. And if you're a Victor Fries fan.
LeShane
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. By day, I am Bruce Wayne, billionaire philanthropist. At night, criminals, a cowardly and superstitious lot, call me...Batman." Batman

What draws me to Batman is the fact that he is complicated. He is motivated by a nebulous of conflicting ideas about issues of morality, justice, and truth.

For a man whose psychology covers 75% of the DSM IV, (depression, bipolar, multiple personality, OCD
M
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dan Curtis Johnson and J.H. Williams III collaborate in another "fresh" look at Batman during his early years. In this iteration, Batman and Jim Gordon are still uneasy allies. After an argument over procedures involving both Gordon and Harvey Dent, Batman opts to put together his own team of allies at his beck and call. Recruiting fringe members of society - ex-soldier, frustrated FBI agent, awkward tech junkie, out-of-the-box psychologist, rehabilitated ex-con - this crack squad is charged wit ...more
Brad
Aug 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc
More origins for Batman
Just like Batman and the Mad Monk, which I finished yesterday, “Batman: Snow” follows Batman in his second year, learning crime-fighting lessons on the job. (Both books even end with an illusion to The Flying Graysons.)
This book show’s Batman’s first battle with Mister Freeze, the cold scientist. Writers Dan Curtis Johnson and J.H. Williams III warmly portray Victor Fries as a doting husband and successful scientist, with an abrupt switch to Crazy that struck me as rash.
A
Boots
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
an origin story for victor fries. nicely written, a bit long-winded in the plotting, but the artwork is lovely to look at: so contrastingly gentle (like a mcKay style, almost; so it takes you into a dreamy nice place). backgrounds and street scenes are gorgeous. the only thing i didn't care for in the art was the rendering of batman himself. he was a little too harsh in the face for what was otherwise so cartoony a style.

the major setback for this is the whole subplot in which batman hires a te
Kevin Wright
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This offbeat Batman tale benefits greatly from Seth Fisher's unique aesthetic, even though it's one of the least whimsical works in his oeuvre. Set during Batman's second year of operation, where he's still experimenting with his crimefighting methods, Fisher's penchant for illustrating superheroes as real people rather than icons underscores Batman's awkwardness at this early point in his career.

There are a lot of artistic flourishes, especially in the way Fisher lovingly renders the architect
Jack
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Interesting early Batman story, with terrific art by Seth Fisher who gives us a very human looking (and occasionally downright dumpy) Batman -- much different from the standard depictions. His art reminds me of a slightly more psychedelic Frank Quitely, with somewhat exaggerated and cartoony figures that are still remarkably detailed. The linework is very crisp without very much shading, meaning that Batman's world is much brighter than we are used to see it. It's a fascinating take, and I'm def ...more
Erik
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Fisher isn’t the first artist that would come to mind when it comes to the Dark Knight. Granter, the style of fellow indie comic artist Paul Pope is brilliantly suited to the world’s greatest detective. But Fisher’s style, albeit quirky, seems too bright at first; what with his relative dearth of shadows combined with Dave Stewart’s slightly muted predominately pastel colors. Which would naturally be more appropriate to a

However, by the end of this latest retelling of the origin of Mister Freez
Suzy
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book because I was told that it led into "The Long Halloween", which is one of my favorite stories. I only noticed one thing that made me think of "The Long Halloween" but I still found this story to be quite informative. I have read quite a few Batman books but not very many that offered an origin story about the infamous Mr. Freeze. I was happy to remember that during the "Knightquest" saga there was a story about the GCPD recovering a frozen solid individual from the river and t ...more
Mike
May 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like "vintage" Batman, but with a twist
For those who like their Batman served "year one" style, this intriguing tale shows Bats' first attempt at help (besides Alfred, but before adding on Robin), coinciding with the arrival of Mr. Freeze on the scene. Of special note is the artwork of the late Seth Fisher. While not his best work (not having read everything he did, so far it's FF/Iron Man: Big In Japan), Fisher's comic-manga style renders a much diiferent (but still entirely plausible) "Year One" Batman. Not really essential, but an ...more
Caleb caley
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One cannot begin to discuss this book without talking about the artist who drew it, Seth Fisher. He was a unique talent in the world of superhero comics. His eye for the fantastical showed through out his work, and in this book he went to great lengths to show us a batman that many of us don't think about, one who is more man than myth. The writers do a very good job of explaining one of the more fascinating characters of the Batman rouges, and in the wake some of the changes to batman in the ne ...more
Dovile
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: wishlist, keepers
An early Batman story, set about a year after he became Batman and before he adopted the first Robin. This is a Mr Freeze origins story, but it's also about Batman starting to realize that he can't be everywhere, so he tries to assemble a secret team of competent ordinary people. Both stories are really good.

The art is different than the usual dark and mysterious Batman comics, but it's not Metropolis-bright either. The clear details, bright colors and interesting inks reminded me somewhat the a
Kimberlee
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow... a friend told me the artist for this one was a favorite of his, so I checked it out. The art is in no way what you might expect from a Batman story, but was none the less enjoyable. I loved the story, set in the early days of Batman's career, and I enjoyed an almost "Where's Waldo?" style euphoria, trying to find all the... jokes?... hidden in the artwork. There are random bats all over the place, and in one scene, someone is sticking their head out from a chimney... inside the house, so ...more
David Williams
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good arc. Batman is still bumbling around, getting a feel for the whole vigilante-business. The character tensions are great, though they do slow the story progression (which is really not a problem, unless you don't like character progression). The construction of this story is very neat: the art is super detail, the onomatopoeias are liberally varied, and the changes in point of view are deftly handled. Sadly, there is no large battle at the end, so I feel a little gypped by that, but onl ...more
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: batman
Batman actually listens to Alfred and recruits some help in tracking down a local gangster that leads to Mr. Freeze.

Excellent art (Seth Fisher) and a good writing tell a story from Batman's early days and gives some background on one of the more dangerous Bat-villians.

Notes
The team dynamics of this story are fairly unique and provide interesting reading.

Learning Curve
Low: Good for new readers.

Reading Order
Occurs prior to Dick Grayson joining Batman
Helen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults or teens.
Recommended to Helen by: No-one.
The plot wasn't that exciting - Batman's team is just left hanging, with no resolution despite their sacrifice and involvement. The characterization of the team members, Detective Gordon, and Alfred are deft. Batman himself sometimes comes off as indecisive. The artwork is great, however, and the book could easily transition to a movie. Freeze seems immortal so I'll look for further Freeze Batman adventures. Also, I want to read more DC books, so I'll look for them.
Russell
Dec 21, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Set just after Year One I was compelled to buy this TPB just from seeing the art on the cover; kind of cartoony but with a lot of realism; does that make sense? Either way, I wasn't disapointed Seth Fisher' art as it complimented Dan Johnson and J.H. William' story perfectly. I kind of wished it was a little longer and maybe gave a little more insight into Mr Freeze because it just felt like a Harvey Dent spin off.

Worth it for the art but the story isn't mind blowing.

-Russ
xo
J.M. Hushour
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this title may well deserve "Gayest Batman Cover Art" ever, it is nevertheless a solid and thoughtful story. This may seem a rather striking assessment since this is about the origin of that wacky villain Mr. Freeze. Shit you I do not, however. "Snow" is set in Batman's early career and is a "realistic" (if that is even applicable) take on Freeze's origins, the tragedy of his wife, and Bats' first endeavor against a super-powered villain.
Aurora
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So pretty. A straightforward but satisfying origin story for Mr. Freeze. Perfect for beginners like me. I wish I could explain what Seth Fisher's drawing style is like- maybe very crisp psychedelic? It's both simple and rich, modern and classic. I was really bummed to learn from wikipedia that he died in 2006. He fell 7 stories off a hotel roof.
Michelle Cristiani
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
This comic is set in Batman's early crime-fighting days, when he's bumbling and clumsy. People almost get shot because he interferes. He's scrawny, and his cape is too long. The animation plays perfectly to show what a dumb-ass - er, novice - Bruce Wayne is at his start.

I like how Batman assembles a team for help, and Victor Fries is a fun and complicated villan.
Socialite
it was an intriguing idea, putting forward that batman had a team. a big problem is that it's a "prequel" batman story from his early days so you know how it's going to end. the arts nice and it stands out with Frieze's hallucinations.
Nicolas
Dec 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was an atypical Batman story in which he comes up against Mr. Freeze for the first time and begins to realize that he may need some backup. It was interesting to see Batman attempt to work with a team and I liked the little nod towards the flying Grayson in his future.
Mza
May 12, 2010 rated it liked it
... fun story, eccentric little drawings by Seth Fisher, nice bright colours ... Batman is too skinny and his cape is too long: he's perfect. Reminds me of if Moebius did a Batman story, or if the Bruce Wayne in Batman: Year One was replaced by Adam West.
Andrew
Apr 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The art in this book really pops. Snow sets up the standard for a calm cartoon world with coy characters going about the drudgery that is the Batman universe.Yet, it manages to throw in a jolt of reality that really brings this book to the must read level.
Lois
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm glad Spencer shares interesting books & movies with me. Great origin story of Mr. Freeze, beautiful images of his wife & inspiration. Insight & compassion-- his mind.
  • Batman and the Mad Monk
  • Batman: Gothic
  • Batman: Four of a Kind
  • Batman: Battle for the Cowl Companion
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 3

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland