Start by marking “Batman: War on Crime” as Want to Read:
Batman: War on Crime

Batman: War on Crime

(Batman: One-Shots)

After Batman meets a young boy whose parents were murdered, he reflects on his own life and examines the nature of crime in Gotham City.
Published December 1st 1999 by DC Comics (first published November 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Start your review of Batman: War on Crime
Library Next Door
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Alex Ross is a pure genius when it comes to capturing every single detail of superheroes life. And The writing of Paul Dini is marvellous. And both of them gave life to what Batman stands for 'JUSTICE' in each page you turn it feels more real and it gives me chills every time when I re-read it.
Jim
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In Batman: War on crime I witnessed one of the best approaches of Batman from a creating team. Paul Dini and Alex Ross, really understand the character and that’s why they delivered one of the best Graphic Novels about the Caped crusader.
Bruce Wayne doesn’t have one alter ego, but two. One is the Bat of Gotham, the vigilante who goes out at night to face criminals in dark alleys, doing what the other men of law can’t. The other is the millionaire, the playboy who spends his time in bright
Anthony
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: batman
When I rated this back in 2012 I only gave it 3 stars and I literally don't know why. Reading it again now, in absolute format no less, it's a fantastic short and simple story into the insight of Batman and how he approaches crime fighting. Brilliantly crafted by both Alex Ross and Paul Dini. I don't know what 2012 Anthony was thinking with his 3 star review, but he was wrong
Mizuki
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic, pretty-good
Batman: War on Crime has stunningly realistic and awesome artwork, the drawing is soooo good, the storyline is an okay one too, but I think I'm too old to believe (view spoiler) in the end.
Shahriar Shafin
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

My god! My GOD! this is truly legen--wait for it--dary, LEGENDARY!! seriously, I am awestruck by this graphic novel.

it's not about any definite mission of batman. it is about his ideals, his moralities. this is a reflection of his never ending battle with crime.it shows he is not just a superhero, but an idea. a hope.

paul dini's narrative was very touching. it had many heart-warming lines. it could capture the thought of the dark knight.

but was actually lifted this book is its art.
Jessica
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
The illustrations are breathtaking. I love that Alex Ross portrays Batman in the simpler older style suit and cowl (grey and black). His artistic talent with painted comics brings out an incredibly realistic feeling to every page. Some of the scenes look like actual photographs. I also appreciate Ross's ability to create realistic, actual body types. His people are actually shaped like people (an interesting concept which fades in and out in the comics genre). I was really very happy to see ...more
Shannon
MINI REVIEW: glorious artwork by Alex Ross (lifelike and bursting out of the panels) but the story by Ross and Paul Dini was above average at best though it may be more engaging to those new to the Batman Mythology.

ARTWORK: B plus; STORY/PLOTTING: C plus to B minus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B minus; BATMAN MYTHOLOGY: C to C plus; ACTION SCENES: B minus to B; OVERALL GRADE: B minus; WHEN READ: early November 2013.
Jay
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-dc
This short one-shot encapsulates Batman. His purpose, his impact, and his approach (via both Batman and Bruce Wayne). It's also a great representation about the effect crime has on a community, and that not everyone who has turned to it is evil. Some are just trying to get by.
If someone wanted a brief but effective definition of the character and his world, I might point them towards this title.
Morgan
Nov 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Batman helps a boy who like him has lost his parents.
Jacob
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Part 2 of my review of "Absolute Justice League: The World's Greatest Superheroes", a collection of comics that until recently had not been in print since 2001. Written by Paul Dini and drawn by Alex Ross on pages the size of an average human head, it goes without saying that this is the shit. Holy crap, can it get any better then art by Alex Ross?

Batman will always be my favorite superhero. He just stirs up so many thoughts within me, I find his character so compelling and interesting (and it
Juan Correa
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Batman: War on Crime is a piece of art like any other that reflects on the philosophy of the Dark Knight and how the caped crusader deals with crime and how it inflicts pain in others, Minimalist, although fantastic writing, this graphic novel evokes a dream-like sequence that feels as we are reading words that Batman himself wrote. Fantastic text that reflects on the character and puts into play what was known about him so far.
Leaving aside the script, art is perfect. Alex Ross broke through
Truly Geekish
Dear reader, I want to take a moment of your time to tell you a tale of a soldier that I know of. Now close your eyes, and imaged a city filled with darkness. Now within the darkness of this city, which is known as Gotham City, we see a man who is driven by the demons of his past. A man who is overwhelmed by the pain of his worst memory, the memory of the night when that criminal stepped from the shadows and tore his world apart. In a heartbeat, this man had lost the two most important people in ...more
Tiara Larasati
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book sums up everything that makes me love Batman. I love Batman's portrayal in this book. It shows that under that mask is just a man who endured pain for such a long time and wants nothing but helps people. It something that people sometimes forget. For many people Batman is just a badass, scary superhero who spread fear to criminals. But deep down he's more than that and it shows perfectly in this book.

And also, Alex Ross' drawing is pure art!!!!
Rob Ryan
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.
Sean
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 really
Mandy Galileo
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story, great art, what more do you want? Strongly recommend.
Comic Master
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Vini
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
The artwork in this was beautiful! But unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy the story or how it was told. So the two stars is only for the art.
Curtis Wood
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ontheshelf, batman
If there was ever a book to be considered as the definitive take on the Dark Knight, Batman: War on Crime is a top contender.
Tanya
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
A well written plot with beautiful illustrations definitely a must have for any batman collector
andrew holling
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The artwork is phenomenal.
Eric
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations by Alex Ross are uniformly world class.
Fredrik
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The artwork alone makes it worth the read. Holy damn. This is some gorgeous stuff. But the story as well. I love Batman when he is grounded in "reality" like this. ...more
Travis
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Paul Dini and Alex Cross are a powerhouse. The art and the story are deeply moving.
Jedhua
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Batman: War on Crime issue #1.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3+/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>

description

As you'd probably guess, this one-shot involves Batman and his unending war on crime. One can think of the first third of the book as a chapter titled "Batman 101: Introduction to the Caped Crusader;" it basically goes over Bruce Wayne's transition from lonely orphan who witnesses his parents murder, to a militant vigilante determined to purify Gotham City. Then
Himanshu Karmacharya
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
First and foremost, a huge shout out to Alex Ross's art which is as always phenomenal, so life like and atmospheric. The plot is very intriguing. Paul Dini shows us a side of Batman that many contemporary writers have forgotten about. His war on crime is not only to fight the bad guys but also to bring a change and save the people from going down a dark path.
Umberto
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing read. Well worth it and highly recommend.
Ubikuberalles
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alex Ross' art work is amazing!
Suncerae
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second volume in the Paul Dini/Alex Ross superhero anniversary tribute – this story is about Bruce Wayne as much as it is about the Batman. It continues the meditation on the idealistic tragedy of the superhero story, but it’s all the more potent here, as Bruce Wayne gives up the safe quiet normal life Superman could never have, in order to fight the good fight. Like the first in the series, the art is realistic, captivating, utterly gorgeous.

During a routine back-alley catch of a
Jen
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Life is breathed into Batman in this amazing short story by the awesome B:TAS writer, Paul DIni, and artist Alex Ross. The tale reads like a monologue, told from Bruce Wayne/Batman's point of view, highlighting his origins and his "war on crime".

This rendition of Bruce is a much more humanised one than the angst-ridden, emotionally vapid psycho-Bat that often prevails other story arcs—or indeed the Batman we are familiar with today—and this is reflected markedly in Ross' meticulous,

• The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Batman: Eternal, Volume 2
  • Trinity, Vol. 1 (Trinity, #1)
  • Batman: Under the Hood, Volume 1
  • Kingdom Come
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Batman: The Cult
  • Superman for All Seasons
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Justice, Volume 2
  • DC: The New Frontier, Volume 2
  • Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying
  • Marvels
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
Paul Dini is an American television producer of animated cartoons. He is best known as a producer and writer for several Warner Bros./DC Comics series, including Star Wars: Ewoks, Tiny Toon Adventures, Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman/Superman Adventures, Batman Beyond and Duck Dodgers. He also developed and scripted Krypto the Superdog and contributed ...more

Batman: One-Shots (1 - 10 of 162 books)
  • Batman vs. The Incredible Hulk