Start by marking “The Apple Lover's Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Apple Lover's Cookbook

The Apple Lover's Cookbook

The Apple Lover's Cookbook celebrates the beauty of apples in all their delicious variety, taking you from the orchard to the kitchen with recipes both sweet (like Apple-Stuffed Biscuit Buns and Blue Ribbon Deep-Dish Apple Pie) and savory (like Cider-Brined Turkey and Apple Squash Gratin). It offers a full-color guide to fifty-nine apple varieties, with descriptions of the ...more
Published September 26th 2011 by W. W. Norton Company

To ask other readers questions about The Apple Lover's Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apple Lover's Cookbook

Start your review of The Apple Lover's Cookbook
Daniel De kok
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I loved this book for several reasons. First, I have a cardinal rule to skip a cookbook if the featured cover photo isn't of the food (think Food Network chefs). Second, the historical and scientific information was terrific, and learning not only about apples native to my region of the country (SE Pennsylvania) but where to find them was valuable to me. I'm a librarian, and if I was going to stock one reference book on apples, this would be it.

Third, the recipes included in The Apple Lover's C
Karen Cagan
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, cookbooks
It’s September and apples are plentiful. This is the best cookbook that deals solely with apples. The recipes are amazing! Amy suggests which apples work with each recipe. She even includes a handy chart showing the different categories that apples fall in. My favorite recipes are Swedish Apple Pie and Apple Brownies.
Tessa
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is so cool! It includes a wealth of fascinating material on the history and genetics of apples, along with detailed info and categorization of quite a few common and less common apple varieties. It really inspired me to hunt out some of the more unusual varieties :)

The recipes are also quite good! I have made several, including the oatmeal topped apple crisp, the cider brined turkey w/gravy, the pate, and the braised cabbage/sausage/cider dish. There are many more I plan on making as
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
If you're a cook that loves apples and/or have an apple tree (in other words - what to do with all those apples?) this is a book that you should have.

It also has resources on where to find apples (for those not blessed with a tree), different kinds of apples, as well as her favorite applejack and hard cider suppliers. Fun stuff!
Hannah Jane
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I am going to try every apple they mention at the front of the book. It has become my one of my goals in life! This book is very informative, concise and inspiring. I love how they set up the recipe, with a blurb about the recipe, followed by the tips, notes & equipment. I love when they tell me what I need before I become too attached to the recipe. ...more
Yaaresse
The first half of the book contains a brief history of apple growing and info on several dozen varieties. I bought the e-book version for this information alone since I have a lousy memory for varietal names and can never remember which apples are best for which use. (Note to author: How about an app with that info to make it even easier?)

The second half of the book is recipes, both savory and sweet. Usually I don't rate a cookbook until I've made several recipes from it. I have not yet done th
Karen
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very timely, this book helped me discover the identity of an apple my younger sister and I recently discovered growing wild in the Upper Peninsula, Bramley's Seedling or the Bramley apple. The photographs for the recipes are tantalizing and I will be making some of them. This was a very well done compendium/cookbook on apples.
Brianna Sowinski
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Cool apple based book, I like that it spend the space and time on the different varieties. Would check out again when apples are in season.
Sammm
Review WIP.

Parts of the reviews are from the status updates I've typed while I was marking my reading progress.

To be absolute honest, if this book reached 500+ ratings and still maintains above 4-star, I might change mine to a 4 to represent a 4.5-star; however, that might not even happen because by then I might feel like changing the statement to "if this book reached 1k+ ratings [...]" lol. Make no mistake I DO love this book very much, but I'd elaborate why I feel it doesn't necessarily deser
Heidi Roth
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Overall, I like this book--and I don't actually consider it to be primarily as a cookbook as the name suggests. The Apple Lover's Cookbook is part history, part entertaining read, and part cookbook. The author covers an introduction to the history of the apple and the incredible genetic diversity. The next time you eat or cut open an offer, consider that each seed is a completely unique item. Each seed would produce completely different apples if grown to that stage--and the resulting fruit may ...more
Catherine Gillespie
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
The book is, of course, a cookbook, and does have a lot of really great recipes, both for things you’d expect like pies and crisps and buckles and whatnot, but also for things you wouldn’t expect, like Bacon-Wrapped Goat-Cheese-Stuffed Dates with Curried Apple Hash (I’m SO trying that, and SOON).

But it’s not just a cookbook. In fact, the real value to the book, in my opinion, is in the extensive reference section at the beginning of the volume. The first section of the book includes pictures and
Lorraine
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a grand book for apple lovers - not attempting to copy the title , I truly mean it. With apple season upon us & with a new kitchen, I am ready. One unique aspect to this cookbook is the author uses different types of apples - ex. tender-tart & firm-sweet. She then list the name of the apples that can be used for a particular recipe. For example, Grandma's Apple Crisp recipe calls for 5 large tender-tart & 5 large firm-sweet. The author then lists 3 kind of tender-tarts: McIntosh, Cortlan ...more
Kristen
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks, 2015
Fantastic cookbook which I checked out from the library and like enough that I'm buying a copy for my own kitchen library! There is a ton of great information about a bazillion different apples, and each recipe gives the apples the author likes to use, and substitutions in case you can't find them. The recipes are delicious and not overly complicated. Today I'm making the Stuffed Apple Cinnamon Buns and I can't wait!
Michelle
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
Well, a few of these recipes were kind of rinky-dink, probably won't make them. But many of the others were simple and look delicious. I especially liked the full-color apple guide with some new varieties to look for--she even included some specific to my region. I wish there would have been more photos, but a very nice cookbook with some good ideas.
JoAnn Noonan
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best apple cookbook.
My go-to book for all things apple. Having grown up in apple country, this woman knows what she is talking about.
Not only do her recipes work, she has a way of categorizing groups of apples( with a reference page) so you have many choices of type of apple to choose from in your cooking depending on the recipe .
Melanie
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference book for apples: which ones will keep, which are better for cooking (and what kind of cooking), what characteristics (firm-soft, tart-sweet, etc) does each have, as well as some history. Oh, and there are recipes--last fall, I made my best applesauce so far, on the book's suggestion to use a variety for best flavor. (In the past, I've stayed with a single type.)
Tamara
The type of cookbook you want to own but will never use.
Wish the recipes had been more accessible.

Love the picture dictionary of the apples at the beginning.
Wish I could cut out all of the pictures and post them on my wall.
S Vanorse
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Borrowed this from the library, and I will be on the look out for a copy for myself. Great history on apples and what is being done to restore and identify heirloom apples. Filled with great sounding recipes a few I will try before returning it.
Kait
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A lovely cookbook. It has an in depth guide in the beginning to different apple varieties and what are the best uses for each apple. The Apple Dutch Baby and Coffee Cake have been very popular in my house.
Png
Sep 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
If you can't find the apple you're looking for in this book, it simply does not exist. Everything you need to know about apples and recipes to try from. Personally, haven't tried the recipes yet but did enjoy reading the book.
ReadingWench
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I really like this book. Most of the recipes are simple and easy to fix. The apple, sweet potato and ginger soup was REALLY good.

This would be a fantastic gift for the person in your life who loves to cook and who loves apples.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Nothing I would make. Great stories between the recipes. Photocopied information on selecting apple varieties.
melissa
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is fabulous. It gives descriptions of all kinds of apples, has wonderful recipes, & super photos of the food. ...more
Megan
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It includes great information for baking or cooking with apples every day. Many of the recipes are also simple enough to be incorporated into a regular food routine.
Janet
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
Who knew there were 59 kinds of apples?!
Janet Clark
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic information about apple varieties and how best to use them. Simple,healthy, delicious recipes that run the full gamut--from sweet to savory. Great read for apple lovers.
Dori

• The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments
  • 100 One-Night Reads: A Book Lover's Guide
  • You Are the Universe: Discovering Your Cosmic Self and Why It Matters
  • What She Ate: Six Remarkable Women and the Food That Tells Their Stories
  • The Healing Self: A Revolutionary Plan for Wholeness in Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • The Personality Brokers: The Strange History of Myers-Briggs and the Birth of Personality Testing
  • How to Disappear: Notes on Invisibility in a Time of Transparency
  • Ichigo ichie. Japońska sztuka przeżywania niezapomnianych chwil
  • Incognito: The Secret Lives of the Brain
  • You'll Grow Out of It
  • Beauty Sick: How the Cultural Obsession with Appearance Hurts Girls and Women
  • Harry Potter: A History of Magic
  • The World of Downton Abbey
  • Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner
  • The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
  • Everyday Pasta
  • Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them
1 follower
A life-long apple lover, Amy Traverso is the food editor at Yankee magazine. She lives in Brookline, Massachusetts.