Start by marking “Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)

Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  29,061 Ratings  ·  3,371 Reviews

Rose is one of twelve princesses forced to dance through the night in an underground palace. The key to breaking the spell lies in magic knitting needles, an invisibility cloak, and-of course-true love. Inspired by "The Twelve Dancing Princesses,"this novel is as captivating as it is fresh. Enchanted readers are sure to clamor for the new companion, Princess of Glass, also

Published February 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 20th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Princess of the Midnight Ball, please sign up.

Winter Yes, there's nothing inappropriate in it. It's fine for a couple years younger as well.
Anthea yes, each of the main characters are sisters. There is an overarching plot, so the books should be read in this order: 'Princess of the Midnight Ball'…moreyes, each of the main characters are sisters. There is an overarching plot, so the books should be read in this order: 'Princess of the Midnight Ball' first, 'Princess of Glass' second, and 'Princess of the Silver Woods' last.(less)

Amber
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story was lacking in too many elements to be enjoyable for me. The characters were so underdeveloped that the weren't likable- the writing didn't make me love the hero or hate the villain. The romance lacked passion and believability. I couldn't ever figure out what the hero and heroine saw in each other, and why the hero would go to such lengths to save the heroine. And the plot was so predicable- I never wondered whether or not the princesses would be saved in the end, and the ending wasn ...more
Cait • A Page with a View
That was a sweet retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses. It's in a German setting and follows the original story really well! A lot of people ask me for recommendations for clean, happy fantasy adventures with a hint of romance, so this is pretty much the definition of that. It's all very cute and peaceful, yet there's still a full plot and the characters are believable.

The greatest part is how the soldier Galen is always knitting something and there are actually patterns in the back for ev
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

The malevolent King Under Stone cuts not one deal, but two, with the queen of the country of Westfalin: first, that she will be able to have children; second, that Westfalin will be victorious in its battles against other countries. In return, the human queen agrees to spend one night per week dancing with the King Under Stone in his underground kingdom. But the once-human king has an agenda, and supernatural beings have a way of twisting their a
Jessica
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Reread this April 2011, as I get ready to write the third book. Kinda impressed with myself . . . fun characters, and I'm excited to get back into their heads.
Cara
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
I couldn't fall asleep one night and without even realizing it I was so caught up and enchanted by the story it was six in the morning when I finished the book.

This is a retelling but I'm not familiar with the original tale, so I can't say how close it is to the original. It stands on it's own though and you don't need any prior knowledge of the story to enjoy it.

The story starts out with our hero Galen (great name by the way) coming back from a war that he and his fellow soldiers have been figh
Gkeller123
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book yesterday at work, and was excited to start it. I had some time in the evening and read a few pages. When I woke early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, I decided to read for a while. I couldn't stop until I had finished the WHOLE THING! I loved it. I have read other variations on the 12 dancing princesses, but this one had different twist and turns that made it so much different (and better!).
Emer
“And all because of some shoes,” Galen murmured as they hurried away.
“What?” Ulrike had to trot to keep up with him.
“This all began because of their shoes being worn out night after night,” he said. He had fallen into an easy quick-march pace. He put an arm around his cousin’s waist to help her along.
“If someone could just figure out what they do every night.”

Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the old favourite fairy-tale of The Twelve Dancing Princesses and it is just lovely…LOVE
Rachel E. Carter
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
Felt just like the fairytales I grew up on. Maybe not my favorite book as far as YA or romance, but it was still spellbinding from first page to last, there's just something special about the storytelling that made me feel as if I were reliving the old illustrated collection I grew up on. I would get this book for anyone that loves fairytales in a heartbeat.
Tatiana
Apr 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Shannon Hale
Princess of the Midnight Ball is an utterly inoffensive retelling of Brothers Grimm's fairy tale Twelve Dancing Princesses. No gore, no violence here, suitable for pretty much any age.

The premise is straight forward - the King of Westfalin's 12 daughters nightly wear out their dancing slippers. Several princes attempt to uncover the princesses' secret for a reward of inheriting the Kingdom, but fail. Only 19-year old Galen - an ex-soldier/now gardener - succeeds in finding out the truth with the
Katerina Kondrenko
5 out of 10

ревью на русском/review in russian

Short-Soundtrack:
Pianochocolate – Waltz
Cassidy Ladden – Shine
Yuriko Nakamura – Flower

Well, I don’t know what to say. I thought it would be a true retelling for young adult auditory but this is an extended version of the old Grimm’s tale for middle grade people or even children.

The plot is more than close to the original story about twelve princesses.

The book is good but the idea and its execution were shamelessly stolen. Okay, it's a retelling, us
Isabel
May 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lola  Reviewer
A delightful retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses with charming and interesting characters and the true meaning of love.
Sesana
Princess of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses story. Maybe I haven't looked closely enough, but one rarely sees this particular story get retold. Probably because it requires a big cast of characters. Yes, there are indeed twelve dancing princesses here, and George tries valiantly to give them all personality, but there's only so much an author can do in 270 pages. That said, the featured princesses were all interesting enough that it didn't bother me that some (D ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
description

“What young girl wouldn’t love to dance away her nights in this splendid castle in the arms of a handsome suitor?”

I was hooked with the blurb of this book because I used to watch Barbie and the Twelve Dancing Princesses (don't judge, asshole).

Princess of the Midnight Ball is a fun read. I enjoyed reading it because on a scale from 1-10, the fluffiness level of this book would be 7.5.Don't expect this to be an epic read because it's not. This book is just perfect if you want to read something br
Krista Wright
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, charming, and simple fairytale retelling!
Katie
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Faye
While I wouldn't normally pick up a fantasy/fairytale book (as fantasy isn't my favorite genre), Princess of the Midnight Ball was highly recommended to my by a friend. After reading the book, I am glad I took her advice to get a copy!

I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet fairytale! It made for a very easy read and the story plot captivated me. Galen was easy to grow to like as the hero of this tale. I was surprised that most often the story was written from his POV (point of view) and not Princess R
Rashika (is tired)
This is going to be a real quick overview since I don't have much time right now but I cannot hold in all my feels for this book.

This is a dark re-telling but at the same time it's kind of fluffy. It has that fairy tale feel to it (since well it is a re-telling) so not everything will always line up but somehow this story still charmed me to no ends.

The romance could be seen as insta, no doubt, but it didn't bother me. I enjoyed it if only I wished there was a little more development going on b
Colleen Houck
I loved this retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. I also loved that the hero knitted. So cool. I've knitted a hanger cozy and that's about it, but I remember enjoying the process a lot. The description of the Under Stone kingdom was awesome. I can totally picture it in my head along with the twelve dark princes.
Olga Godim
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
A retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses, this charming novel for early teens is also good for a grownup reader. Unlike the original fairy tale, in this story, the princesses don’t want to dance at the Midnight Ball every night but they have no choice: they are under a curse by an evil sorcerer. Moreover, the curse makes it impossible for them to tell anyone or to ask for help.
The heroes of this story, the eldest princess, eighteen-year-old Rose, and a former soldier, nineteen-year-old Gale
Erin
Feb 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t give four star ratings lightly, especially to young adult retellings of classic fairy tales. The stories are relatively well known and have been reworked and rewritten… the long and the short of it is that they have been done and done to death. Finding a fresh outlook is like finding a needle in a haystack. Jessica Day George’s Princess of the Midnight Ball is that needle. George fleshes out the back story and makes a few small changes to the original telling. The result is an enchanting ...more
Margaret
As in Sun and Moon Ice and Snow, George starts with a familiar fairy tale; this time, it's "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". Rose is the eldest princess, cursed along with her eleven sisters (all named after flowers) to dance every night at the ball of the King Under Stone. Galen is an soldier returned from war, now an undergardener with some unusual skills. Now they must work together to free Rose and her sisters from the dreadful bargain made long ago between the King Under Stone and the queen, ...more
Anne Osterlund
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Galen is a soldier, who knits his own socks, has lost his entire family in the Analousian War, and has survived to begin a new life. He follows the tales of his dead mother to find her living sister. And his uncle, who happens to be the head gardener for the king. Thus Galen becomes an undergardener.

And privy to the most dramatic mystery in the kingdom.

For no one, especially the daughters of the king, can tell where they disappear each night. And why their slippers are always worn through. And w
Victoria
I'm hesitant to call Princess of the Midnight Ball a retelling as it's not so much a retelling as it is a telling.
I expect any retelling to bring something new to the original story, some new layers, better understanding of the characters, more intricate backgrounds.
But this book doesn't bring anything fresh.
Princess of the Midnight Ball is your basic The Twelve Dancing Princesses retelling, and it stays pretty close to the original version.
Obsidian
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Please note that I gave this book 4.5 stars and rounded it to 5 stars on Goodreads.

After reading Silver in the Blood I was interested in reading George's other works. I really did enjoy this one. Probably because I read the story as a kid (loved it) and loved the cartoon version of it on Grimm's fairy tales.

George does a good job of taking this fairy tale and also tying it together in the real world at certain parts as well. We follow the former soldier Galen who comes home to find his mother's
Tatiana
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Очень наивная, добрая сказка. Прочитала с огромным удовольствием, даже не смотря на то что никогда не слышала сказки о танцующих принцессах. Может автор выдумала? Черт знает, но мне понравилось! Солдат со спицами просто звезда :D Я всегда улыбалась от уха до уха на эти сценки. Любимой будет когда они пришел во дворец и ждал короля - сел, достал спицы и стал вязать xD Правильно, нечего время зря тратить! :D
Steve Smith
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of Jessica's books. They are fantasic reads. Her creative story lines and well developed characters are always a joy. I can never put her books down. I'm always so sad when I finish reading one because I want the next one immediatly. If you haven't read Jessica's books you need to. They are all fantasic.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, read-2008
Perfection. A wonderful story with wonderful characters, traditional with great twists.
Misty
I fell head over heels in love with George's Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, so when I saw she was doing a retelling of one of my absolute childhood favorites, the 12 Dancing Princesses, my interest was piqued, to say the least.  And when I saw the gorgeous cover attached to the story...do I really need to tell you I bought it?

Though I don't love it quite as hardcore as I do Sun and Moon , this one's a definite keeper.  The 12 Dancing Princesses can be a tricky tale to retell because there's just s
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
POTMB was just a fun, relaxing and highly enjoyable read. It was the perfect addition to the Thanksgiving holidays - didn't require a whole lot of analysis, wasn't written in a lofty, convoluted style, and (best of all), the characters were well-rounded but didn't drive me nuts! Hey, I had some weird family for the holidays, I don't think I could've handled weird characters! It was just a feel-good book, you know? Every once in awhile, you just need to get lost in a fairytale.
If you can't tell f
A Million More Pages: 1 - Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy): May 7 27 20 May 11, 2015 08:08PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 13, 2015 08:49AM
Best Book EVER!!! 54 110 Jan 17, 2015 04:25PM
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • Golden:  A Retelling of Rapunzel
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • The Crimson Thread: A Retelling of Rumpelstiltskin
  • A Curse Dark as Gold
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The Rose Bride: A Retelling of The White Bride and the Black Bride
  • The Princess and the Bear (The Hound Saga, #2)
  • My Unfair Godmother (My Fair Godmother, #2)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
Jessica Day George likes chocolate, knitting, books, travel, movies, dragons, horses, dogs, and her family. These are all things to keep in mind if you ever meet her. For instance, you could bring her chocolate to make the meeting go more smoothly. You could also talk about how adorable her children are, even if you have never seen them. You could discuss dog breeds (she had a Maltese named Pippin ...more
More about Jessica Day George...

The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy (3 books)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy , #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Nova
    $11.99 $1.99
“Galen Werner, you may choose one of my daughters to be your bride, and when I die, you shall sit beside her as co-ruler of Westfallin."
"Your Majesty.... I - I don't know - "
Rose felt her knees shaking. Did he not love her after all?
"Psst, Galen?" Pansy tugged on his arm. Galen leaned down. "If Rose doesn't want you," the little girl whispered loudly, "you can marry me."
Galen laughed shakily. "Thanks, Pansy."
"Oh, Rose! Don't just stand there like a lump," Poppy said, poking her in the back. "If he's too embarrased, you should be the one to say something."
"Poppy!" Daisy looked scandalized. "It's not Rose's place to - "
Under cover of their squabbling, Rose took Galen's hand and moved closer to him. "Do you want to marry me?" she whispered in a much quieter tone than Pansy had used.
"Yes," he said.
"If neither of you is going to speak up," King Gregor said, "I shall simply have to decide it for myself!"
"Father," Rose protested, "that won't be necessary!"
"I choose Rose," Galen blurted out at the same time.
"There. Done. Easy." King Gregor clapped his hands.”
117 likes