Start by marking “Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success” as Want to Read:
Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success

Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success

Napoleon Hill wrote this book in 1938, just after publication of his all-time bestseller, Think and Grow Rich. This powerful tale has never been published, considered too controversial by his family and friends.
Using his legendary ability to get to the root of human potential, Napoleon Hill digs deep to identify the greatest obstacles we face in reaching personal goals: fe
Published June 7th 2011 by Sterling (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Outwitting the Devil, please sign up.
Dan Smith I've been more than a avid reader of the Word. When a parking place sticks out in the Bible, I pull in and stay sometimes for months. When I come out,…moreI've been more than a avid reader of the Word. When a parking place sticks out in the Bible, I pull in and stay sometimes for months. When I come out, I have something to sink your teeth into.

This read proves that Napoleon Hill may not have been astute at the "mysteries of the Kingdom" Christ taught about. However, being an astute student of the Word and It's Mysteries, it's obvious to me that Hill did IN FACT interview the devil.

IE: Christ told John's disciples "The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them." Examine that closely.

Jesus included poverty with a list of handicaps. BUT NOTICE all of them were healed EXCEPT for the poor. It's too much to teach here. Suffice to say, there is a healing for the poor just sitting in a realm waiting for any one of them (or all) to just start. It'd take a novel or a year of Sundays to teach this. Sadly enough, like this book, the poor will walk 10 miles for a bag of weed, but will never invest 30 bucks in a book that transforms their thinking, which would transform their lives.

All that said, Napoleon Hill did interview that evil, godless puke of a bastard, the devil.
(less)

Start your review of Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
Rashida
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is quite possibly one of the most thought provoking and life changing books I've read to date. If you read this I urge you to do so with an open mind, understanding that it is NOT IMPORTANT whether you think it's the real devil or a metaphor. Either way, these are things that do hold a lot of us back from success.

Let his perspective inspire your own. I personally know that I've been "a drifter" as he describes, and can even catch myself almost falling back into it from time to time.

Makes
Becky Reed
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I just read the latest publication of Napoleon Hill that was set aside over 80 years ago, Outwitting the Devil, the Secret to Freedom and Success. In the two years following my trek into the “bowels of the Twilight Zone,” I sank into the quicksand of a self-sustaining process with a narcissist/psychopath and his clan. I found myself buoyed in a current of some strange delusion of life and hoping that somehow I could be saved. I had no idea where or how that might arise as an agonizing crisis of
Tre Scott
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
While the original author's text makes for a good read - or listen - the continuous interruptions of the annotator, Sharon Lechter, forced me to discontinue after about 40 minutes. Every time the story gained a little momentum, Ms. Lechter butted in.

I then re-edited the audiobook, removing Ms. Lechter's commentary so that I could enjoy it in peace.

If you've already purchased the audio version, but would like to be able to listen to it cleanly, let me know and I can email it to you.
Mark
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating!
I have read Think and Grow Rich, The law of Success, and have the Keys to Success audio series so I figured I pretty much had all of NH's material. Wow was I ever wrong.

First off after a short story about himself after he lost all his money in the depression and the strange turn of events he experienced he goes into a Question and Answer series with the devil. This made for very quick reading. His years of interviewing the successful people and failed folks of his day a
Julie
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
The gist of the book: Don't drift through life or the devil will control you. In fact, he already controls 98% of the population!

The book quotes from the bible and even states that it corresponds with Christ’s teachings. A few differences of the book compared to the bible came to mind as I was reading it:
Book: love gets in the way, (but sex is good)
Bible: 1st great commandment Love God and 2nd love your neighbor as yourself
Book: Duty to only yourself
Bible: Lose yourself to serving God and t
Doug
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I believe I've read over 100 books on personal development, success and business. I had a top 10 list already...now I have a top 11 list.

Thank you, Sharon, for bringing this to life.

"Outwitting the Devil" is a personal favorite and one I am recommending to all of my friends, children and acquaintances.

Brilliant work...simply brilliant.
Susan Highland
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone on the planet!
I won this book in the giveaway, and received it yesterday! I can NOT put it down! This is the BEST book I ever read, and I highly recommend it to everyone! It is not yet released, but can be purchased on Amazon, and sent to you when it is released! It's making me crazy, because I want everyone in my family and all of my friends to read it, but I can't purchase for them yet! It is uplifting, inspiring, and timely!

This was written in 1938, and sat for 72 years unpublished. Very timely release, an
Jeff
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-book-list
If you're facing adversity or in the middle of a life change, this is a great book to read. A great challenge to your mindset on whatever it is you are currently facing. Some takeaways:

* The capacity to surmount failure without being discouraged is the chief asset of every person who attains outstanding success in any calling.

* The seven principles to attain spiritual, physical and mental freedom:
1. Definiteness of purpose.
2. Mastery over self.
3. Learning from adversity.
4. Controlling envi
Adam
Sep 13, 2012 marked it as to-read
Was listening to the audio version of this book and while I'm a big fan of Hills, the constant intrusion of the editors POV and her constant explanations and justifications as to why this work is pertinent now was so frustrating I had to stop. I might have to read the print version so I can skip over the editors incessant need to explain every detail. It reminds me of going to the movies with someone who has already seen the picture and can't keep their mouth shut. They keep telling you why this ...more
Joe
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book on the dangers of destructive and negative thinking, something very widespread in society today with catchy addictive headlines about disaster and promising more disaster.

In order to avoid getting sucked into blaming the government, the banks, the rich, your parents, your boss etc... for your problems and taking control of your life essentially you need to:

1. Have a definite purpose in life (to look after your family, accumulate wealth, help others..)
2. Mastery over self
Steven Walle
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Napolian Hill is clearly at his best in this book. He conducts an interview with the Devil where he pries a confession from him.
He gets the Devil to admit how he takes us over by causing us to drift and not have definateness of purpose. The Devil takes our base desires and perverts them and uses them to His own perpose.
He explains how He can gain control through habbits such as smoking, drinking, drugs, and sex. By these confessions we are taught how to stay on the straight and narrow path twa
مشاري الإبراهيم
Oct 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: social-science
Reached midway through the book and decided to stop reading.

Was a bit too cheesy, obvious, and too dramatic for my taste.
Tyler Storm
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is exactly what I needed

I have let too many anonymous people from various internet forums turn me into a serious debbie downer. This book really fixed my mood and character. So grateful to come across this book. Really helped me out a lot to change my mood and habits.

I would recommend this book to anyone. It's a very quick read you can probably finish it in 3 days if you really wanted to. I took meticulous notes while reading this book. Summary of this book is the power of the mind and
ScienceOfSuccess
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: waiting
I'd give this book 6/5 if I had a proof that it was written 100years ago or so, as author claims.

This is the self help book I had in my mind, the book that says "most people work on autopilot, and you can manage them".

Probably even better than think and grow rich.
Yemi Obayanju
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So many lessons behind this book. I really
liked the breakdown of the 7 principles. A must read for all. But you must go into reading this novel with an open mind for it will not disappoint.
Kent
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have read Hill's "The Law of Success" and found a few of the principles outlined in this book; the major principle being the definiteness of purpose. Of course, the editor, Sharon Lechter, understands that Hill's conversation with the Devil may seem a little far out to many in our culture. Although, in all honesty, it probably is no different when Hill wrote this book in the 1930s. Hill, of course, definitely believed this was the Devil.

As a Christian, I can see some aspects of what could pot
Elham
Jul 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One book that every single person should read. I feel this is today's holy book. A manual i would go back to again and again. Simple and brilliant...filled with AHA moments.
Javatis Midget
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a must read for everyone. Initially I was going to give this book three stars because the message wasn't new; however as I neared the end, it reaffirmed everything that I have read and believed thus far from another angle which allowed me to thoroughly enjoy it. It reiterated if we just apply the knowledge we've gained, life will give us the new direction we are looking for. The seven principles Mr. Hill identified made so much sense. One of the main ones for me is “Self Discipline” ...more
Aline
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, inspirational
I thought it would be a bit "darker", but I'm glad it wasn't :D
Very important messages! It'll definitely help me in my life.

It's so interesting that this was written in 1938, held back all these years and only published in 2011.
It's thought provoking even now. Try to imagine people reading this back then, they probably would have fainted :D
Ashley
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
-Satan is negative energy. He lives in fear in much of the population. He occupies the unused space in the mind.
-smoking is more dangerous than a lot of big things, not because it's bad for the body but because anything that creates bad habit invites a flock of other bad habits.
-If you drift in one direction and you will drift in all directions. Use your mind, don't let it be occupied.
-The most important tool of the devil is to block independent thought. Parents and teachers think they are being
Larissa Lopes
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read to every human being on earth! I can’t recommend this enough!
Camelia
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Despite being written almost 80 years ago, the world problems signaled throughout the book are incredibly timely - from the aimless, futile education system, to the parents inculcating fear upon their children, to the church which builds its entire argument around the fear of Evil, to the power of the so-called hypnotic rhythm and many, many other things like this.

Leaving aside the imaginary conversation with the devil (which may be found offending by some readers), this book summarizes perfect
NGUYEN VO
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still think there is a will there is a way, this book just shows me my real struggle at this time. Thank to you Mr. Napoleon Hill, the matter is not what happens, the matter is what you perceive yourself and what you think of yourself. Positivity is easy to switch to negativity if you are not determined and solid. Your brain has ultimate power. This is alert!
Lisa Salinas
Definitely some good stuff in here. I'd like to go back through what I've highlighted, take some notes, and think about it in relation to my own life to get more out of the material. That said, there were also some parts that made me uncomfortable, which explains why it took me a year to finish the book and why I gave it three stars instead of four.
Yilin Wong
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite
Such a good book.
I wasn't (and am still not) crazy about the first few chapters about his own life, but the following chapters are amazing.
I can't say everything in there is one hundred percent useful because some of them are long and don't really echo with my life, but he did bring up a lot of inspiring ideas, and those ideas fit perfectly with my experiences in life(only 21 years but still). And it articulated a lot of things which I have been doing unconsciously and did not realize that it ca
Jeff Wheeler
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" is one of the classics that I try to read each year. When I heard about this book, an unpublished manuscript from 1938, I was intensely intrigued. Why would the author and his family withold a book for so long? It may have been more controversial back when it was written, but I found some of his criticisms of society to be rather far-seeing. It makes you wonder whether he really did have a conversation with the devil, but I think it was just an author's inve ...more
Andy
Oct 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a bad audiobook. The content is insanely redundant but then on top of that the editor keeps popping in with her own word-for-word repetitions of what's just been said.
The selling point of this book is that it contains ideas so shocking that it was kept secret for decades. Is it really shocking that school and organized religion do not foster creative independent thinking?
Beyond that is the usual self-help drivel about how you just need to be determined to succeed, except that this advi
Jill Eshelman
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought that many of the points in this book were solid, but I was annoyed at some of the political points that were thrown in with no justification (i.e. Do you know why unions exist? Because people want to be free from poverty and have access to healthcare in order to prevent ill health.) It was a pretty judgy book, and it was somewhat mind-boggling how much he wrote about being too afraid to publish the book despite that by not publishing the book, he left "98% of people" to continue drifti ...more
Natalie
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book struck a deep chord and changed my life from the day I read it. Written in 1938, it was held back from publishing because of fear of the contents (ironic since this book is about fear). I do wonder if my generation is more ready to hear this, and act, than my grandparents? It's also interesting to note the societal problems from back then have only gotten worse today. Great read; I'm sure to reread many times.
Sahir Jafri
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Victory goes to the people who know what they want and are determined to have it. They have mastered the habit of drifting. They have definite policies, definite plans, and definite objectivies. Their opposition has no chance against them because the opposition has no plan, no purpose, no policy except that of drifting along, hoping that something may turn upto help them."
Avenue Z Book Club - October Selection 3 15 Jan 14, 2018 07:00PM

• Seja Foda!
  • Geração de Valor 2: Plantando sonhos, colhendo conquistas
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • Me Poupe! 10 passos para nunca mais faltar dinheiro no seu bolso
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • Pai Rico, Pai Pobre + Histórias de Sucesso do Pai Rico
  • A Riqueza da Vida Simples: como escolhas mais inteligentes podem antecipar a conquista de seus sonhos
  • Convince Them in 90 Seconds or Less: Make Instant Connections That Pay Off in Business and in Life
  • Guia Suno de Contabilidade para Investidores: Conceitos Contábeis Fundamentais para quem Investe na Bolsa
  • Guia Suno Dividendos: Aprenda a Selecionar Ações que Geram Renda
  • Guia Suno Fundos Imobiliários: Introdução sobre Investimentos Seguros e Rentáveis
Napoleon Hill was an American author in the area of the new thought movement who was one of the earliest producers of the modern genre of personal-success literature. He is widely considered to be one of the great writers on success. His most famous work, Think and Grow Rich (1937), is one of the best-selling books of all time (at the time of Hill's death in 1970, Think and Grow Rich had sold 20 m ...more

News & Interviews

“Remember that your dominating thoughts attract,
through a definite law of nature, by the shortest and most
convenient route, their physical counterpart. Be careful what
your thoughts dwell upon.”
42 likes
“You are entitled to know that two entities occupy your body. One of these entities is motivated by and responds to the impulse of fear. The other is motivated by and responds to the impulse of faith. Will you be guided by faith or will you allow fear to overtake you?” 30 likes