Start by marking “Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)” as Want to Read:
Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2)

Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant #2)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  29,701 Ratings  ·  2,209 Reviews
BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the m
Published (first published April 21st 2011)

Nataliya
Dear Peter Grant, you are about to knock Harry Dresden off his pedestal. And that's not an easy thing to say for me, a devout Dresdenite. But this book was just that much fun.

Should I call myself a Grantite now? How about a hug then? Oh wait...
"For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call."
How can a true nerd like me NOT love this book and its protagonist? Peter Grant, a wisecracking apprenti
Annet
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Men have died for this music.
You can't get more serious than that... Dizzy Gillespie

So... this is not my general genre of book. But in a range of dark books this is very welcome out of the box & fun book! I had to get used to Peter Grant of Ben Aaronovitch, convinced by my goodreads friend Caro M. to give it a go. Peter Grant is a junior magician. Fun! Sounds like Harry Potter? Well it isn't ;-). It's a bit more raw and pretty d*mn funny. Love the scenes of London, one of my favorite cities,
Carol.
My review of Moon of Soho.

Holdbrook-Smith continues to shine as a narrator. His vocal talent brings both Peter and the many people he interacts with to live in a way one doesn't quite get while reading. First time he voices Leslie using her iPad text-to-speech function was brilliant. However, when he voiced Leslie speaking on the phone, I found it partly unintelligible but still good. When Leslie later spoke in person with Peter, voicing was back to brilliant. I have to say, I loved his voicing
Carol.
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy lovers, detective fans
Moon Over Soho is an enjoyable, satisfying sophomore entry into the Peter Grant series about a London constable who is now working in magical law enforcement.

Peter calls on Leslie after the brutal ending of the first book. As he leaves, he's called to the morgue where Dr. Walid wants Peter to note the definite vestigia about a dead man. Peter gets a clear sound of jazz sax, the kind of clue that only comes with strong magic. The team is still trying to protect Nightingale, recovering from a gun
Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : Moon Over Soho (Peter Grant, #2) - Nevisande : Ben Aaronovitch - ISBN : 575097604 - ISBN13 : 9780575097605 - Dar 375 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2011
Adina
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy-pr
Yes, now we're talking!

I could not give 4* to the first book in the series although I wanted to. I became an instant fan of the writing, the world, the humor and felt in total sink with the author' s love for London, which can be observed in every page. My problem was with the plot which was all over the place. I am happy to say that this is no longer the case (most of the time) in Moon over Soho and the novel gets from me the praise it deserves.

Peter Grant is a great character and I cannot wai
Will M.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jazz music and vampires combined results into a new problem for constable Peter Grant.

I liked this way better than the first novel in the series. The characters were more developed here and it didn't tackle on introducing them anymore. I liked how the author gave us a deeper story about Peter's life and family. The plot as a whole was a bit okay. It wasn't phenomenal but I was entertained throughout the novel. The major plot twist in the end was shocking for me, because I was reading it at 6 am.
Orient
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody

Beware this review is infected with spoilers!
I was eager to put my hands on this book to feel the magic of “Moon over Soho”. And it didn't disappoint. Though it had less jokes but had more feelings and passion. Peter Grant developed more as a wizard apprentice. It’s his time to shine more. With two new cases it’s a really ridiculous and fun mess. For example, why do we need simple vampires when there are (view spoiler)! It may sound absurd, but Mr. Aaronovitch makes
Megan Baxter
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got pushed into reading this slightly earlier than I had intended - but my mother is here for a visit, and she started to read the first book, and as she neared the end, there started to be threats about what might happen if I didn't hurry up and finish this one. (Threats of booknapping!)

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgas
Bradley
Must love jazz.

Well, not really, but I could almost taste the love for jazz throughout this novel. Peter's dad was once a jazz legend, after all, and so it's not so hard to have his son pick up a bit of the love, if not the talent. This aspect of the novel was pretty nigh awesome. :) Flitting around the London Jazz scene, hunting down Jazz vampires... you know, those pesky varmints that nest in the musician's ear and suck out their brains and make them do really stupid things...

Or something like
James
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, picked
Almost literally, unless it grew legs and bolted when I wasn’t looking, Moon Over Soho hit the ground running from where Rivers of London left us. Not only does Ben Aaronovitch make it as smoothly readable as its predecessor (to the point where I was often having to cover up the next page with hands and/or arms), but this one truly feels like part of a larger story, doubtless to continue on and reward our patience handsomely in the following books, as opposed to a smaller, self-contained one th ...more
Lata
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poc-actor, 2017-read
PC Peter "distracted" Grant is back on his second case, or cases, as multiple odd things are happening. Peter spends much of his time in this book totally under the sway of a woman who was the lover of a murder victim. That Peter totally ignores his training and, um, fraternizes shall we say, with this woman should indicate that something's up. And it is.
What I enjoyed on this reread:
a) Peter investigates the odd occurrences and provides his wry, humorous commentary on a variety of things, incl
Lois Bujold
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Rivers of London aka (in the US) Midnight Riot, which I read and reviewed here last week, and which I would link if I could figure out how. Start with that one, not this one, but you may as well pick up all three while you're at it. It will save steps. (#3, now in my library queue, is titled Whispers Underground.)

No sophomore slump here, I'm happy to report. Upon longer consideration, what the prior book and this one also remind me of is the movie Men in Black -- the good first one, no
Philip
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4ish stars.

I'm so pleased I continued with the series. Usually unless the first in a series is at least a 4-star book, I don't bother. Midnight Riot (Rivers of London) was a not-quite-4-star-read for me, although I could recognize its potential.

The audiobook narrator, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith was one of the biggest factors in my decision to continue. I honestly just love listening to him read. If I could choose anyone to read bedtime stories to me each night, he'd be top five, easy.

The plotting,
Eilonwy

4-1/2 stars, rounded down because I'm not sure all the mysteries in this one quite got cleared up satisfactorily. But it was still a great read.

Another amazing whirlwind with Peter Grant. The mysteries were gripping, Peter's further discoveries about the magical world were fascinating, and I just love spending time in his head and in the atmosphere of these books.

Definitely recommended, and I can hardly wait to get on to Book Three.
Catie
3 1/2 stars

Whenever I contemplate continuing a series that I love, there’s always that little bit of anxiety in the back of my mind: will this one live up to the rest? Will I have to abandon yet another series? Well, if any of you out there are worried about this one, be at ease. This installment is lovely and I have no doubt that fans of the first book will enjoy this one just as much.

At the end of Midnight Riot (aka, Rivers of London), Peter had just learned of a rather ferocious new murder. I
Rob
Executive Summary: Another enjoyable entry in this series. Good but not great. Short and fun. 3.5 Stars.

Audio book: Kobna Holdbrook-Smith is once again a perfect fit for this book. Not only does his normal voice seem to spot on for Peter Grant, but he does a great job with the other characters as well. He totally makes audio the only way to go for this series IMHO.

Full Review
The biggest praise I can offer this book, is the fact that I plan to continue on with the series. Pretty much every othe
Phrynne
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I remember I was not totally convinced by the first book in this series and thought I would probably not move on to the sequel. Well I did move on and I find these books are growing on me. I am starting to find Peter and Nightingale interesting and this book, after it got over imparting huge amounts of jazz knowledge that I really did not need, became very interesting indeed. Peter is developing some quite effective magical skills and by the end of the book seems to have gained another possib ...more
Michael
In this second in the series, young London constable Peter Grant is slowly advancing in his apprenticeship to the aging wizard Nightingale, who consults on all the cases crimes that may involve magic. He is called in when a murder of a jazzman in Soho is too bizarre to be committed by a normal criminal:. (view spoiler). Further investigation reveals that more jazzman have died mysteriously over the years. Is thi ...more
Obsidian
I read "Moon Over Soho" by Ben Aaronovitch for the "Magical Realism" square.

Please note that some things mentioned below may spoil the events in book #1.

"Moon Over Soho" is the second book in the Peter Grant series. Due to a lot of us participating in Halloween bingo are reading this book, I am just going to keep this to a high level review.

First, I really liked all of the characters (Peter, Leslie, Nightingale, Peter's mom and dad, the jazz band guys).

Peter though I found to be way more than a
Andrea
I very much enjoy the world of this series - the story is leading us through the trials of a police force in an increasingly magical London very well. However, I spent much of this volume frustrated and annoyed with the main character.

Peter is an amusing fellow with a scientific turn of mind, always trying to unpick and understand how magic works. But he spends much of this book completely failing to _think_. (view spoiler)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I don't know what it is about the Peter Grant series, but this is only the second installment and already I am completed addicted. I've not been a fan of urban fantasy for very long, but over the years I have come to appreciate the particular brand of "fun and fluffiness" that's so characteristic of books like this. They're reliable entertainment -- I know even before I crack the cover that I'll have a good time, and I'm hardly ever disappointed.

As it happens, Moon Over Soho was even better tha
Clouds

Following the resounding success of my Locus Quest, I faced a dilemma: which reading list to follow it up with? Variety is the spice of life, so I’ve decided to diversify and pursue six different lists simultaneously. This book falls into my FINISHING THE SERIES! list.

I loves me a good series! But I'm terrible for starting a new series before finishing my last - so this reading list is all about trying to close out those series I've got on the go.

Normally I’m pretty good at reviewing a book, if
Brendon Schrodinger
Peter Grant, the wizard apprentice PC, is back in a second mystery this time centred around the deaths of jazz musicians. We get a lot of musical references here, a bit of jazz history and most importantly more great fun in the wonderfully set up universe. Peter Grants magical education is coming along, however his relationships with women are not. But that is to be expected. You get to know more about his parents and also the Folly and Nightingale. So the magical universe is fleshed out a bit m ...more
Richard
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
9/10

Loving this series after only two books. It's a perfect mesh of awesome narration and awesome storytelling coming together. They've been two of the best audiobooks I've listened to and there's no way I'd pick any of this series up in print now.

Jazz vampires are present throughout this book and sort of sums up the series for me in its quirky way but serious at the core. There are elements of the story which build on things from the previous book and returning characters too which all adds dep
Tracey
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, london, 5-star
I love Ben Aaronovitch. Love. I haven't been this excited about a series in quite a while. Harry Dresden, yes, and Mercy Thompson, but I think the only comparison is the sheer happiness each new Harry Potter brought. To which there is a certain irony.

I have kept a List of "my authors" since I started realizing I needed a way to keep track of what I had and hadn't read by writers I liked, a pre-internet attempt to make sure that I didn't miss anything. Probably two-thirds of the writers on The Li
Leonie
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I was drawn rapidly into the world of PC Peter Grant in this second book of The Rivers of London series. This series is fast becoming one of my favourites. In fact, I can already feel a re-read coming along.

I've found that the quirky first person writing style really adds to my involvement in the story. You can feel and hear Peter Grant's mind ticking away in the background as he puzzles his way through the latest crop of magical crimes.

I'm really enjoying the way that each new book
Mike (the Paladin)
I read the first in this series some time ago and these have languished on my "to be read" list ever since. Mr. Aaronovitch writes a good story. I like this one and have moved directly on to the next.

There will be some at least minor spoilers for the first book in this review. I am going forward on the assumption that if you're reading the review of the second book you have read the first. if not be aware that you may find out things about the first novel in the series.

Our hero here, Police Cons
Andrew
Oct 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so ends my Christmas reading binge (okay I am hoping for one more but not confident I will put it off).

Anyway where was I? Oh yes the second of the Peter Grant Series and I must say I am enjoying it more and more as I go along (just as well there are plenty more for me to still read). The wry humour and entertaining characters just add to a fascinating story. I will admit that the idea of London full of mythical and magical people is not new (just read Neverwhere for example) however the way
Faith
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, overdrive
This is the second book in the series, but it's the fourth one that I have read. While I do love this series, this was my least favorite book so far. The good news is that the narrator of the audio books, Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, was even better in this book than he was in the first book, where there were some distracting sounds. He really is a wonderful narrator for these books. The bad news is that I didn't care for the plot which I thought was scattered and I particularly disliked some aspects ...more
Cover image required 1 8 May 23, 2017 03:00PM
The Folly Irregulars: Moon Over Soho Spoilers here! 24 29 May 17, 2017 07:13PM
The Folly Irregulars: * Moon Over Soho--no spoilers thread 18 14 Jan 21, 2017 06:16PM
Pulled From The S...: Favorite Audiobook Narrators 2 3 Jun 25, 2015 05:45AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch 1 1 Sep 20, 2013 03:29PM
Goodreads Librari...: Language mis-match on editions 3 165 Aug 01, 2012 05:46PM
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Thicker Than Water (Felix Castor, #4)
  • The Severed Streets (Shadow Police, #2)
  • Circle of Enemies (Twenty Palaces, #3)
  • The Digital Wolf (The Hidden Academy, #2)
  • Sixty-One Nails (Courts of the Feyre, #1)
  • The Fuller Memorandum (Laundry Files, #3)
  • Devil Said Bang (Sandman Slim, #4)
  • Dead Mann Running (Hessius Mann, #2)
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
Ben Aaronovitch's career started with a bang writing for Doctor Who, subsided in the middle and then, as is traditional, a third act resurgence with the bestselling Rivers of London series.

Born and raised in London he says that he'll leave his home when they prise his city out of his cold dead fingers.
More about Ben Aaronovitch...

Peter Grant (7 books)
  • Rivers of London (Peter Grant, #1)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • Broken Homes (Peter Grant, #4)
  • Foxglove Summer (Peter Grant, #5)
  • The Hanging Tree (Peter Grant, #6)
  • Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)
“For a terrifying moment I thought he was going to hug me, but fortunately we both remembered we were English just in time. Still, it was a close call.” 237 likes
“My Dad says that being a Londoner has nothing to do with where you're born. He says that there are people who get off a jumbo jet at Heathrow, go through immigration waving any kind of passport, hop on the tube and by the time the train's pulled into Piccadilly Circus they've become a Londoner.” 103 likes