Start by marking “Of Swine and Roses” as Want to Read:
Of Swine and Roses

Of Swine and Roses

A young adult short story about a girl, a pig, some magic, and the worst date ever.

Chad Thurman is a thug, who carries brass knuckles in both pockets and lays magic traps for intruders into “his” neighborhood. The last thing Alena Kornov wants to do is to go on the date with him. But when her family pressures her, she can’t say no. Now the ice-cream is absent, the pig is r
Published August 13th 2009

To ask other readers questions about Of Swine and Roses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Swine and Roses

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
So I mentioned in my reviews of Silent Blade and Silver Shark that I had been told the world-building in Burn for Me was similar to that of the worlds in the Kinsmen series and this novella . . .

So OF COURSE I had to reread them (b/c Burn for Me rocked my socks off).

Anyway, whoever told me that was RIGHT.

And this short is awesome on it's own merits, so if you are a die-hard Ilona fan, you should read it anyway.

Part of the reason I liked Of Swine and Roses is b/c most of my adolescent he
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5

Yeah I hear you this YA. Yeah I hear you but this is IA.

Cute little story about magic, flowers, dates from hell and little piggies. A world similar to the one in Burn for Me (magical families, some more powerful than others), great characters and lots of wit. Typical Andrews.

Edited Feb. 13, 2005: just found out that this short story was actually the foundation for the Hidden Legacy series. No wonder I thought both worlds were similar! {insert eyeroll here}

I don't have much tim
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-shorts, fantasy
3.5 stars for this slight but enjoyable story from the Ilona Andrews team, about a world where magic powers run in a few select families, occasionally with a whiff of Magical Mafia about them. It made me smile so I'm rounding up. Apparently I'm on an Ilona Andrews short fiction binge, and I've recently read a couple of their novellas set in this world, so I decided to pay my 99 cents and read this cute short story.

Seventeen year old Alena Kornov has recently come back from a year at boarding sc
Robin (Bridge Four)
This is a really short story but if you are obsessed with Ilona Andrews like I am then it is must read. Why???? Well it’s only about 20 pages long and in that you can see some of the ideas that are the building blocks for the Family Dynamics of Burn For Me. I am a sucker for stuff like that, plus it is all about a bad date and those are fun to watch.

When the town bully is from a good family and decides to set his sights on you beware….Normally you can just turn him down and move along with your
MrsJoseph *grouchy*

4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars!

*sigh*

This was so good. Just...so short. :-( I'm a greedy reader when it comes to Ilona Andrews and I always want MOAR. :-D

This is a super short-short that *could* be tied into the new Hidden Legacy series. I say "could" because this story was the catalyst for both the Kinsmen series and Hidden Legacy. Each of these stories/series are very similar but very different. The magic systems + family is the tie that binds them but
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've read nearly all of Ilona and Gordon Andrews' books over the last couple of years but there are still a few short stories that I needed to get around to and Of Swine and Roses was one of them. Then I found out that this was actually the first story set in the Hidden Legacy world so since I loved Burn for Me I knew I had to pick this up ASAP.

This short story introduces us to teenager Alena Kornov who is under pressure from her family to date Chad Thurman, a boy from one of the local families
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Of course I had to read this, it's Ilona Andrews. It was original, sweet, and cute.
Paige  Bookdragon

For a YA book, this is so much fun without the annoying part that usually comes with YA novels.
Alexa
Jan 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, romance
This was cute, but very very very short! WANT MORE!
Chachic
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Of Swine and Rose by Ilona Andrews is now available in Amazon. I read it back when it was available as free fiction on their site as Days of Swine and Roses. Now that it has a new cover and is available for purchase, I thought I'd spread the word by sharing my thoughts about this short story.

I love the cover for this one - I like how the reds stand out against the black background. I don't have much experience reviewing short stories because I'm afraid of saying too much t
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I heartily enjoyed this and was sad when it ended. I wanted more. More, more, more! This feels as if it's set in the same world as Andrews' Edge series so if you liked that, you'll most likely enjoy this little story too. It's not a romance exactly but romance is a theme.

Kindle cheapie called "Of Swine and Roses". Currently $0.99 / £0.70.
Carolyn F.
I am reading this as part of the anthology Small Magics

Cute story about a girl who is kind of forced into a horrible date, saves a pig and changes her life. 4 stars.
Ivy
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Very good short story. Thought it was funny. Hope Duncan and Alena have a very good date.

Hope we will be able to read more stories set in this world. :-).

Can't wait to read White Hot!!!
Cathy
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Very short, about 20 pages. Set in the world of 'Burn for Me' (Hidden Legacy), but unrelated to those characters. Young adult, but as it is Ilona Andrews, I don't care.

Lively, colourful, vibrant. Have I mentioned, that it is very short?
Sometime
Very short yet IA manages to make it engaging. It's a sweet YA romance about the worst date ever, with a little magic thrown in.
SN the Viking
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short story from team Ilona Andrews. It was a nice fast read.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Finally a good short story.
Yodamom
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, kindle
YA) A short (very short) sweet story,I would love to see a full book. I liked the characters.
Mari (Smut Duchess)
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, paranormal
Cute story. Short enough to read over lunch break.
Selenity Jade (Coffee Addicts Book Reviews)
A young adult short story set in a world that evolved into the Hidden Legacy series we know and love. Awesome little story by one of my favorite pair of authors.
Diane ~Firefly~
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute and very short story.

Alena is guilted by her family into accepting a date with Chad (who is a local thug). It doesn't go well and she comes home with a pig she saved from Chad and his buddies. (view spoiler)

The little glimpse of the world is interesting and I would love to read a full-length novel set in it.
Jeanny
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Aarann
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
So this was a cute little read, only about 50 or 60 pages. The plot is simple: Alena is pressured into accepting a date from the town thug and hijinks ensued.

I felt like there could have easily been more to the story, and yes, the part of me that feels that way is the same part that likes the romantic aspect to Andrews's writing. I'm cool with the absence of the L-word in light of the shortness of the story, but there wasn't even really anything romantic about it. Then again, part of what I lik
Emma
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I knew nothing about Of Swine & Roses when I started reading other than the Kindle edition was delightfully cheap & I am a long-time fan of Ilona Andrews so was happy to give it a go.

I am not usually keen on novellas or short stories - and love the opportunities for character & plot development that a (good!) novel provides. So I was surprised and a bit disappointed when the story finished as it was just getting going!! I suppose this is one of the perils of ebooks -- it would have b
Thenia
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
A short story set in an interesting world structured based on magical families and their affiliations.

It is said that this world has similarities with the one in their new series Hidden Legacy the first book of which, Burn for Me comes out at the end of the month.

I'm really looking forward to it!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This is a sweet and cute story about a girl who was stood up on a date which forced her to go out with another boy. Too bad the new boy is a thug. Her forced date turned out to be a nightmare with everything that could go wrong, going wrong. I laughed myself silly with some of the things that happened to the poor child. In the end, her good deed does NOT go unpunished. I wish there was a follow up short story to this one.

Nina
Short, funny story about a first date gone horribly awry. There's a magical mafia, a bad movie, no ice cream, and a hilarious pig chase. Can we get this made into a full length book? Pretty please?
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very short, clever, and fun. Totally worth the read.
Patricia Lopes
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I wish this short story was longer!!
Debrac2014
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny short magical story!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Magic Strikes - Hot Tub (Curran POV #5)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Under Her Skin
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • Hex Appeal
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • The Mysterious Madam Morpho (Blud, #1.5)
  • The House at Cobb End (Cassandra Palmer, #5.1)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • No Place Like Home (InCryptid, #0.03)
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4; Aralorn, #2)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more
“Do you know what separates adults from children? Self-discipline. We don’t want to go to work, we don’t want to do our chores, and we don’t want to make unpleasant decisions, but we do all those things because we’re aware of the consequences which will follow if we don’t.” 31 likes