Start by marking “Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)” as Want to Read:
Honor Bound (Honor Bound, #1)

Honor Bound (Honor Bound #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  2,728 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
It's 1942. A Marine aviator, an Army paratrooper and demolitions expert, and a non-com radio man are on an impossible mission for the OSS - sabotaging the resupply of German ships and submarines - by any means necessary!
First Lieutenant Cletus Frade is fresh from Guadalcanal. He teams up with Second Lieutenant Anthony Pelosi and Sergeant David Ettinger for the most critic
Paperback
Published November 1st 1994 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 12th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Bound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Bound

GymGuy
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Again, this book has pretty good reviews, but I "JUST COULDN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" Boring beyond all belief!

This is a soap opera for men. While it is billed as a WWII story, it has little to do with the actual War and is much more about people during WWII. Trying to find a plot was like trying to drill for water in Abu Dhabi. After 50% there was almost no story line. Just characters....characters...and more characters. Who they went to bed with, what they had for dinner, what restaurant they ate a
Snowfalcon
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Yes, I read this guy.

Yes, they are "romance novels for guys".

They're simple, they're straightforward, the language is easy.

My defense is simple. While they are simple they are not stupid. There is an elegance to simplicity.

There are times too when as "good for me" as something more classic may be ... I want to just relax, and to do so with a medium that is not so manipulative as TV or even film. These books fit the bill.

The Honor Bound series is the best of his I've read so far.
Jeff Brown
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bill Butterworth never lets you down. His characters are all thought out human beings. Even the heroes get it wrong some times and the villains aren't always the guys in swastikas. I've read this series before and am rereading it again because it feels like coming home to see old friends again.

This is the first in the Honor Bound series by W.E.B. Griffin, Butterworth's pen name, But not the only series. I first got hooked while he was writing The Brotherhood of War series. If you can find and r
Patrick
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love me some Cletus Frada & his gorgeous Argentinian wife to be...great story, extreme intrigue to say the least.
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great start to this series by a thriller master
Trebor
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had no idea that this was the first book of a series. I had read that W.E.B.Griffin was a good writer so I thought I'd give it a try from our less than comprehensive library. I almost quit reading this one several times as I plodded through seemingly endless dialogue and action less character situations. It got better, barely and as I neared the end I realized that the reward for slogging through this was not to be. This was however a good writing lesson on how to expand a two hundred page sto ...more
Deb
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a pretty interesting story, though there are quite a few implausibles - seemingly insurmountable roadblocks turn out to be easily overcome through fortuitous circumstances, and a key character who really should be an enemy turns out to be a friend. Griffin insists on giving his characters their full name and rank repetitively throughout the book, which is tedious. The infighting of Argentinian politics at this time (pre-Peron, though he appears here) is an enlightening preview of what will ...more
Froxis
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, spec-ops
An interesting historical spec-ops with out the normal high tech
tim higgins
Mar 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good for juveniles

An overly trite and hoakie book. If you're 15 or younger, you might like this. But maybe not even then.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Classic Griffin - very entertaining.
JBradford
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first volume of what became the Honor Bound series, introducing First Lieutenant Cletus Howell Frade, who—like most of Griffin’s heroes--happens to been born filthy rich and therefore can get away with most everything-you know: he smokes Cuban cigars, drinks Old Grouse, and sleeps with every pretty woman he meets. As the novel opens, Frade is a 22-year-old U.S. Marines pilot of Wildcat fighter planes on Guadalcanal and has just shot down his sixth Japanese Zero, making him an officia ...more
Rob Gould
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I have to say that though I am a big fan of Mr. Griffin, I don't know if this one would top my list. I mean, look I know everyone loves Killer McCoy, and Charley C.G. Castillo and I am sure that the Griffin fans of the world probably view most of the other main characters in Griffin's novels through the lens of McCoy and Castillo. And like most, I most assuredly do as well.

With that being said there is somewhat of a bias if you will towards Mr. Griffin's novels that either don't meet those expe
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
This series is a LOT like the Presidential Agent series-- a young hero/aviator leads a group on clandestine missions. And, as usual, Griffin spends more time setting up the background for the story and familiarizing the reader with the culture and people of World War II era Argentina, certainly an out of the way place (and an interesting choice) for a World War II novel.

The only real problem is that the real action in this novel is limited to three small sections-- one is an air drop of supplie
Will
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OSS Recruits Frade, Assigns Him to Argentina. Jerked back to the Star Tour following his becoming an ace, Frade is recruited by the OSS to go to Argentina ostensibly to surreptitiously attack a fake Nazi submarine tender. Jorge, his estranged father, is the most powerful man in Argentina and the mission reeks of influence peddling by the OSS. Following a grand reunion of father and son, the Nazis put out a hit on Clete but he is warned off by his new Luftwaffe fighter pilot Peter von Wachstein w ...more
Rapidio
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you have read WEB Griffin before, you know what to expect: All the male characters are dashing, the weasels look like weasels; the women are either beautiful or salt of the earth or both. and everyone is pretty much rich. There is lots of doting on the trappings of the rich life, which is somewhat of a discordant feature when most of the characters are active duty military. But damn, his stories always just seem to suck the reader in. All of his series, The Corps, The Brotherhood of War, Badg ...more
Jason Golomb
"An officer is honor bound to face whatever hazards his duty requires; not throw his life, or that of his men, away."

"Honor Bound" takes an interesting mix of colorful characters, wartime intrigue, blends them together in an uncommon World War II location, that results in a fairly deep and fun book. Based mostly in Buenos Aires, prolific military writer, W.E.B. Griffin does a good job of creating fairly fleshy characters, and creating a unique WWII thriller.

It's a little hard to even characteri
Matthew
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of Griffin. His books almost always get 3 stars from me but they always meet my expectations. I am not reading Griffin for great literary achievements. I read him because I know I will enjoy the story.

This is the first book in the Honor Bound series. Set in Argentina during World War II it follows a cast of characters involved in U.S., Argentine, and German politics and military machinations. Their is political intrigue, spy stuff, beautiful women, fast cars, and a pretty good sto
Cedar Bristol
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-fiction
A great story and a great reminder of how Global the conflict was. I remember wondering how a WWII story set in Argentina could make me turn pages. I couldn't put it down. I know nothing of Argentina's actual history and couldn't begin to comment on whether the story is even in the ballpark of a realistic portrayal of that country's upper class and security services at that time, but it's a great story.

It continues with Blood and Honor and some other books with "honor" in the title. I loved all
69books.Com
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Honour bound is a great novel. I was only familiar with the Brotherhood of Arms series, so I was suprised when I saw this book in the bookstore. Cletus Frade and his friends had to stop the Germans in Argentina for the second time (I later discovered that there was a another book). Cletus also had the trouble of a pregnant girlfriend and a deceased father. He became the owner of his father's possesions. What happens to the money stolen from the Jews? Will Cletus be ordered to gain acces to this ...more
Bonnie
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the last book in this series first and then found out that there were four that came before it so I decided to go back and listen to those. When I saw that there are 18(!) discs in the audiobook I almost decided against it, but since I'd liked the last one I decided to go ahead. It really didn't seem as long as it is, which should indicate that it is pretty engrossing.

I have really liked Scott Brick's reading of books in the past, but in the last book he made the hero Cletus Frade seem to
Megargee
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first volume in a new WEB Griffin series, this one about an OSS team based in Argentina during WW II. As the first in a new series, considerable time is spent introducing the characters and their back stories before the action starts. However, WEB fans will find most the the stereotyped characters found in his other military novels, engaging in the same behaviors, drinking the same Scoth and so on.
Cindy
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
It expanded my horizons-being a mil wife for 30+ years -I never even thought about how S.A. fit into the scheme of things. I had worked with an older RN in SAT whose father was a Rear Adm and then her husband was stationed in Occupied Berlin w/ Gen Omar Bradley was there and thoroughly enjoyed her stories and in 5th grade we got a kid whose father had been stationed in Quito, Ecuador so I am getting sort of up to speed...
George
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wilbur Smith and Alistair MacLean was my favorite authors, but I have another to add to my list, and that is W.E.B. Griffin. I've read two of the Honor Bound series now (Honor Bound & Blood And Honor), starting on the third of the Honor Bound series (Secret Honor), anxious to see where Clete takes me to this time. If you enjoyed Honor Bound, recommend you read Blood and Honor, it's the continuation of Honor Bound and it sure is exciting, packed with plenty of action in Griffin style.
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on CD; didn't read it. I suppose it might get an extra half-star in actual book form but as a listening experience, one of the stupidest things I've ever been exposed to.

And what the title has to do with the story, I'll never know.

Stay away.
John
Oct 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several other of Mr. Griffin's series & have really enjoyed them. I wasn't sure I would like this one, but after reading the first 2 books of the Mmmm newest series I decided to try Honor Bound. I did enjoy it. It does seem a lot like the Presidental Agent series..or that one was like this. No matter, I liked the story & the characters.
Paul
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this book (after reading the rest of the series), and I forgot how great it was! Griffin is so good at character development and making you think his characters are as real as the actual historical figures (this is, after all, historical fiction), and this book has good action at the end of it. I very much enjoyed it the first time in 2007 and again this time.
Beth S.
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Very much dudely books for dudes. But the best kind, which is the kind with no women. I greatly prefer a thriller writer who doesn't even try to write women as people over one who does, and thereby reveals what a nightmare he is at it.
Joel Sommer
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok read. Slow at time, in which I could put it down for long periods of time. Did enjoy the latter part of the book and could not put it down until I finished it late one night. Still thinking about whether I will continue with the series. May take a break.
Samuel Sieja
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spooks
This book series is probably my favorite out of the two I have read so far, the other being the President's Agent series. I would not have thought that at all going into the first book, but it was remarkably well done and quite enjoyable. I am looking forward to book two.
Jake
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book. Clete Frade is pulled from Guadal canal where he was a fighter pilot to become a spy in Argentina in WWII. He has never met his father who is a very rich and powerful man in neutral Argentina and the US wants Argentina on their side. Clete
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Churchill and America
  • Trial by Fire (Scott Dixon, #3)
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • Fires of War (Larry Bond's First Team, #3)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Light This Candle: The Life & Times of Alan Shepard--America's First Spaceman
  • The Sea Witch
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Hunter Killer (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #8)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin

Honor Bound (7 books)
  • Blood and Honor (Honor Bound, #2)
  • Secret Honor (Honor Bound, #3)
  • Death and Honor (Honor Bound, #4)
  • The Honor of Spies (Honor Bound, #5)
  • Victory and Honor (Honor Bound, #6)
  • Empire and Honor (Honor Bound, #7)

Fiction Deals

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Arcadia
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)