Start by marking “Manhattan In Reverse” as Want to Read:
Manhattan In Reverse

Manhattan In Reverse

This is a collection of short stories from the master of space opera. Peter Hamilton takes us on a journey from a murder mystery in an alternative Oxford in the 1800s to a story featuring Paula Myo, Deputy Director of the Intersolar Commonwealth's Serious Crimes Directorate.
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 260 pages
Published October 7th 2011 by MacMillan (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Manhattan In Reverse, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Claudia
Another great collection of stories from one of my favorites sci-fi writers.

Watching Trees Grow - 1832: the beginning of industrial revolution. Fuel has been banned due to pollution and limited resources, car batteries are emerging, genetics begin to develop, human longevity strives infinity, all these in a society led by families descending from the Roman Empire, in which murder has been completely eradicated. Except this one murder...

Footvote - set in Commonwealth, it’s the story of an ex-wife
Clouds
I am a massive fan of Hamilton's work, and this was the last of his book I hadn't read - I'm now at 100%, huzzah!

My favourite series was the Night's Dawn trilogy - epic space opera meets demonic possession (including living spaceships and Al Capone) - it's awesome! That series is sort of early-era Hamilton, and he released his first short-story collection (A Second Chance at Eden) dipping into that world, or written around that time (with similar inspirations).

This is the second short story coll
Robert
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, short-fiction
The best material Hamilton has written has all been less than 400p long and some of the very best less than 100p. This volume continues to show this "quality is inversely proportional to length" phenomenon in his writing to be true, with a couple of his best ever tales showing up here.

It's unfortunate for me that both of my favourites in this volume were stories I had come across elsewhere. One is the kind of SF-detective genre mash-up that is both Hamilton's most uniquely distinctive writing tr
William
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-again
A nice collection of short stories
Kat  Hooper
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I’ve been meaning to read Peter F. Hamilton for years. I own a few of his books, but I haven’t read them yet. If you’re familiar with Hamilton, I’ll bet you know why. His books are HUGE, and most of them are part of a series. Every time I look at them on my shelf, they scream “MAJOR TIME COMMITMENT,” so there they stay. Thus, I was pleased to come across Manhattan in Reverse, a slim and inviting collection of seven stories by Peter F. Hamilton:

“Watching Trees Grow” — This novella was originally
Mark
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-read
I've been a Peter F Hamilton fan for a long time, in fact the reason I read sci-fi nowadays is because of Pandora's Star. The last collection of short stories by Peter F Hamilton was A Second Chance at Eden released way back in the late 90's, but it was a collection of Confederation exclusive stories based on his Night's Dawn universe. On hearing about this new collection I was rather excited, hoping to see all of the stories that he's written since then. Aside from one glaring omission this is ...more
Lee
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Peter F. Hamilton is not an author known for writing small stories. Most of his novels are big enough to make young maidens blush and old women cackle inappropriately. In fact, what are the dimensions of an average Hamilton book, Eddie?

50 feet high, 30 feet long, 20 feet deep, and other measurements as well

Thanks, Eddie. Here are some interesting facts, interesting-fact fans. In 2009 Peter F. Hamilton's writing made up 10% of the books I read but almost 30% of the pages. For every ten books I read that year, one of them was written by Hamilton, but for every ten pag
Mark
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Before we get started properly, just take a look at that page count.

No, that’s not a misprint.

Peter’s latest book is about a third to a quarter of the size of his usual blockbusting tome. This is Peter’s second short story collection, the first being A Second Chance At Eden in 1998.

As Peter says in his Introduction, ‘I’m not the most prolific of short story writers’, and this does show here, but the good news is that what we lose in length we gain in a little more variety.

There are seven stor
Karen Mardahl
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked "Manhattan in Reverse". It's all thanks to the first story, "Watching Trees Grow". I had the book recommended to me, noticed it was short stories, and really did not investigate it much more. I just started reading it. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised and entertained immediately by a story that opens in 1832, but slowly mentions things that did not exist in 1832. Cars? I remember thinking about looking that up on Wikipedia, I was so taken by the natural way it was mentioned. ...more
Scott
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of shorter stories by Peter F. Hamilton, he of the 1000-pagers.

"Watching Trees Grow," the longest of the lot, is about an investigator determined to solve a murder, even if it takes two hundred years.

"Footvote" focuses on the personal lives of an ex-husband and -wife, as a select portion of the population prepares to exit the planet via wormhole for a new life.

In "If At First..." a policeman is put on the trail of a man who knows too much--impossibly too much.

"The Forever Ki
Todd Campbell
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories that shows again that Hamilton is just as accomplished in the shorter form as the epic, long form. Recommended.
Lars Dradrach
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A masterful collection of short stories, from the master of extreme long novels.

Again Hamilton shows his craftsmanship and wild imagination in this very mixed bag of stories, spanning from near novel size to extreme short stories, the shortest is less than 1000 words.

The highlights for me was:

Watching trees grow - an alternate history with a Roman Empire reaching the stars and a very persistent detective.

Footvote- a story about the exodus from the UK though a wormhole, disturbingly set in our ow
Lightreads
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
This collection and I got along fine for the first 80%. I picked it up because it seemed like an easier way to try Hamilton without commiting to one of his doorstops. This was a mistake, since most of the collection is tie-ins to his cifi universes, and without that knowledge they're pretty limp. I did like "Watching Trees Grow," the one about the alt universe Roman semi-immortal who uses progressive technology to solve a troubling murder over the course of several centuries. Cool, if obvious, m ...more
Tamahome
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
This short story collection is available on audio (not anymore??) and ebook, but doesn't seem to be in US stores in print yet (came and gone I think).

I read the title story (40 pages?), which features Paula Myo from the Commonwealth universe. (She is genetically engineered to fight crime. I'm a sucker for chicks that kick ass.) Kind of a Western mystery on another planet. Not the most thrilling in the world, but a pretty good story. The title actually has a more special meaning than I expected.
Joe
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A short story collection containing 7 stories; 3 of which are set in the Commonwealth universe (The Commonwealth Saga and The Void Trilogy being the main books in it).

All 7 stories have the familiar Hamilton trademarks of extremely advanced technology mixed with the evolution of mankind and it's place in the universe.

If you've read The Commonwealth Saga and/or The Void Trilogy then the 3 short stories in this set within that same universe will make you smile. There are some good links with both
Freya
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is my first foray into Peter F. Hamilton's books and part of my attempted wanderings into science fiction. I enjoyed reading this and I think the stories featuring Paula Myo are my favourite, however they were all interesting. Some of the stories focus on where the technological advancements lead mankind and elements of humanity which either stubbornly persist or disappear as humans evolve their ways of thinking with time and each advance, some being totally in favour of constant progress a ...more
Bee
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good. The first story seemed a bit rushed by the end, but cool. I'd love to read a whole book or series written in that world, Kinda steam punk ear "what if the Roman Empire never fell" idea. The last two stories where also very good, nice brain food. Been mulling over the ideas for a few days now.

If you like Hamilton, you won't be disappointed, and because they are all short stories he doesn't really get to waffle as much as he is prone to do.
Michael
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of short stories by Peter F. Hamilton. I especially enjoyed the last two as they were Paula Myo stories. She is one of my favorite Commonwealth characters. I recommend this book to all Peter F. Hamilton fans.
Scott Roberts
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book cover looks like something you would see in dreams, in sci-fi television shows or in movies. I give this book 5 stars.
Sammy
Once again I am very glad of the current reading challenge I'm doing, because without the task "read a book with the name of a cocktail in the title" I would probably not have come across this gem any time soon.

I had heard of Hamilton before, in fact we even own a few of his books - hubby has read them, while I am suffering from "too many books, too little time" and hadn't gotten around to them yet.

After this, I think I will probably re-prioritise and move him closer to the top of the "to read"
Florin Constantinescu
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collections
This is a very strong collection I picked up in preparation for the Void trilogy, knowing that it contained a few stories which bridge the Judas Unchained and the Dreaming Void.
It was a pretty good idea, as one story is an 'origin' story about a very important character in the Void (see below).
The main theme throughout these stories is, surprisingly, the detective story. Whether set on Earth, or on remote planets, or in the past, 4 of the 7 stories contain one classical detective, and at least
William
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
For an author with a reputation for writing very long novels it is maybe appropriate that the two longest stories in this short story collection were the best in it. Watching Trees Grow (which I'd read before many years ago) packs a lot of world-building into 80-odd pages and has an interesting premise (a murder investigation taking centuries with the investigator using newly invented technologies to go back to look at the case), although the characterisation was a bit flat and some aspects of t ...more
Liviu
Manhattan in Reverse is the original story by Peter Hamilton that ends and names his upcoming collection - I read all the other stories from the collection as they were published across the years and most are awesome - and I liked it quite a lot.

Another Paula Myo outing, this time set more as a puzzle on a world in a rush development after the end of the war in Judas Unchained; not her typical case, but despite her war heroics, Paula Myo finds herself quite unpopular after prosecuting successful
Hali Sowle
Peter F. Hamilton and Short Stories are not things one would think of together. His books tend to be long and incredibly full of detail and span a huge distance, not just time but space. So reading short stories of his is a little bit incongruous. There are 7 shorts in here, two of which feature the indomitable Paula Myo who is a genetically engineered police investigator who can not leave justice unmet. The other stories involve time travel and the consequences of going back in time, or in some ...more
Liam Proven
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hamilton may not be the most exaltedly literary of modern British SF writers, but dammit, he is still one of my favourites. This short collection shows off some of his range, which is rather broader than the epic doorstop blockbusters for which he's best known.

I'd already read some of the stories - /Watching Trees Grow/ is an excellent little novella which has been published as a modern "Ace Double" sort of thing, for example. Another, a splendid time-travel novel which leapt straight into my pe
Rewan Tremethick
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into the writing of Peter F. Hamilton, and following this experience I can definitely say I'll be reading more of him in the future.

My favourite story by far is the first one in the book, 'Watching Trees Grow', which follows a murder solved over the course of several centuries as more evidence comes to light.

I love the thematic undertones present in all the stories of what makes us human, and the idea that our obsession with technology is driving us to leave parts of ours
Andreas
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This short story collection contains mostly previously published material, among others the stellar “Watching Trees Grow“, which it was a pleasure to re-read. There are three more standalones, one of which is a very short vignette. The last three stories are set in the Confederation Universe, with the two longer ones featuring investigator extraordinaire Paula Myo. (The third is Blessed by an Angel.) Myo is a very interesting character and could easily be the protagonist of a novel two of her ow ...more
Jenn
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it

This is the first thing I've read of Hamilton's so I don't know if the ideas in this collection are typical of his work, but it was a nice variety. Certainly compelling enough to allow me to tune out obnoxious conversations on the bus. I have inferred from other reviews that Paula Myo is a character from other novels, and I look forward to spending more time with her.
I am never sure how much I find a library e-book loan compelling vs. feeling pressured to finish a book in 21 days (which is ver
Chip
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Bought this on heavy sale in e-form from Amazon. Worth the $3 or so I paid, but that's it. Have read and enjoyed some of Hamilton's longer works, but this collection was disappointing - the (few) stories were at best average. Comparable to Bujold's Protozoa, which I also just read - and that was a collection of her very first (some unpublished) short fiction.
Steven Grimm
Nov 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle
Kind of a mixed bag. The two Paula Myo stories are the most entertaining of the bunch; most of the rest were good enough to keep me reading but didn't have the kinds of strong endings that this kind of story format really needs, and lacked the strong world-building that I love about Hamilton's longer work.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merge 3 book pages 1 19 Oct 18, 2011 04:31AM

• Zima Blue and Other Stories
  • Solaris Rising: The New Solaris Book of Science Fiction
  • Final Days
  • The New Space Opera 2
  • The Departure (Owner Trilogy, #1)
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • Engineering Infinity
  • The Kings of Eternity
  • Context (The Nulapeiron Sequence, 2)
  • The Orphaned Worlds (Humanity's Fire, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.
“The penalty for a long life is increasing resistance to change.” 4 likes
“[sic] his reaction was a sign of civilization. Nobody reaches for a gun anymore, just for his lawyer.” 2 likes