Start by marking “Batman: No Man's Land” as Want to Read:
Batman: No Man's Land

Batman: No Man's Land

(Batman: No Man's Land Novel)

GOTHAM CITY: a dark, twisted reection of urban America. Overcrowded, overbuilt, and overshadowed by a continuous air of menace, this gothic nightmare is a breeding ground for the depraved, the indifferent, and the criminally insane. It's also the object of one man's obsession. Witness to the brutal murder of his parents, Bruce Wayne has dedicated his life to protecting thi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Novelization, 468 pages
Published March 1st 2001 by Pocket Star (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
Nderitu Pius There is none before. If anything there are two parts to it but it is just a single tale with no extra additions.

সাদমান হুসাইন
বইটা শুরু করার আগ পরযনতও ভাবছিলাম কমিক বইয়ের নভেলাইজেশন, কতটুক ভালোই বা হবে। আর কমিক পড়ে অভযসত আমি, বযাটমযানের কাহিনী পড়ছি, একটাও ছবি নাই, কেমন হয় কে জানে। তাও শুরু করলাম, বযাটমযানের বই বলেই। কোন কমিক কেনা হয়নি এখনো, একটা বইই নাহয় থাকুক কালেকশনে।

অযানড ইট ওয়াজ আ ভেরি গুড ডিসিশন।

কাহিনী শুরু হচছে Batman: Cataclysm ইভেনটের পরে থেকে। বিশাল এক ভূমিকমপে গথাম শহরের বেশিরভাগই ধবংসপরাপত, কোন একটা কারনে বযাটমযান ও উধাও শহর থেকে। শহরের এই করুন দশা দেখে ইউএস সরকার করলো আজব এক কাজ, গথাম সিটিকে আমেরিকার বাইরে
Alejandro
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
After my good experience while reading "Knightfall" (you can read the review of that one here: Knightfall, I was sure that I will enjoy to read this other storyline of Batman titled "No Man's Land". My only regret is not being able to get it on Hardcover edition, since I have "Knightfall" in that presentation, it could be great to get that one in hardcover too. However I wasn't aware of the publishing of this novelization and when I found out, the edition that I found then it was the softcover e ...more
Jerry
Feb 13, 2018 rated it liked it
An enjoyable story overall, though an excess of profanity marred things a bit.
BookMarc
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dark. Atmospheric. Chilling. And that was just the ride home on the metro last night. It was made all the more creepy by this gem of a book, 'Batman: No Man's Land'.
I love it when the potential of a character is fulfilled and it has blossomed into what you knew it could be. For too long Batman has been tainted with the shadow of Adam West's portrayal on the 60s tv show and then there were the campy movies of which only 'The Dark Night' offered any redemption. In this novel by Greg Rucka the read
Amanda Michelle
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sophie
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Judging from a glance at other reviews of this book, my reaction was similar to that of a lot of other people: I did't think I'd like this book as much as I did.

To be honest, I had many doubts regarding the novelization of a comic book. I've been reading Batman comics for over a year now (and what I lack in terms of time I surely made up in volume), and I admit I doubted that could translate into the novel format. If it hadn't been for the recommendation of a friend, I wouldn't have picked it up
Sean
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school-shelf
In the book Batman: No Man's Land by Greg Rucka, Gotham city, batman has sworn to protect, is destroyed by a earthquake and is cut of from the United States. With batman no where to be seen, the citizens of Gotham have to fight for survival and wait for their savior. This book is very good. It is written well, and the characters are interesting and fun to read about. The message of the story is to always have hope in the worst of situations.
Ankit Singh
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In Batman: No Man's Land, Greg Rucka tells the story of Gotham a ruined city filled with limitless crime and a earthquake which obliterated the city. Now the US Government has decided to break all connections with Gotham and has abandoned it, leaving the citizens of Gotham to defend and look after itself. Now characters like Commisioner James Gordon must try to bring law and order to the streets of Gotham. But the task proves to be difficult as high profile criminals like the Joker, Two-Face/Har ...more
Gav451
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was going to link in some of the art but time has played on of those tricks on me this weekend where it has moved extra quickly whenever I have looked away and suddenly there is none left. Oh well, it is so long since I wrote a review that I really wanted to get one done.

This is a follow on from another batman ‘event’ which was an earthquake. I didn't read that one and did wonder if that would spoil my reading of this one. It did not.

The main story did not move that far and there were a lot of
Wendy
Feb 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I learned from Phoenix: End Song that Greg Rucka is skilled at turning characters I dislike into human beings. (Or in that case, back into human beings). In No Man’s Land, he managed to come close with Batman, by allowing him so many moments of weakness before his friends and enemies, but unfortunately, there’s only so far you can go with Batman’s character, (or any of the main DC heroes). In all their time, these characters are largely unchanged, remaining untouchable, inhuman gods. I’ve realiz ...more
Roger
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This is the novelization of the Batman graphic novel "No Man's Land". I have not read the graphic novel, so I cannot comment on how close the novel followed the events in graphic novel.

In a nutshell, an earthquake devastates Gotham. The U.S., not wanting to face the cost of a clean-up, makes Gotham a "no man's land", essentially abandoning the city and those who refuse to leave it. Lawlessness descends upon the city and Batman (plus his allies) are left to restore civilization to Gotham.

It took
Nicole
May 03, 2013 rated it liked it
After an earthquake destroys Gotham, the government has declared it separate from the United States and it has become known as No Man's Land. Only a few remain behind to help restore the city to what it once was, but first they have to fight against Gotham's most notorious villains, who now have free rein over the city...and Batman is nowhere to be seen. This was given to me to read, otherwise I probably would have never read it since I'm not very fond of books adapted from other sources nor hav ...more
Daniel Sherrier
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Though the "No Man's Land" storyline was originally published as a year-long comic book event crossing over all the Batman books, it actually works better as a novel written by a single author. Greg Rucka wrote some of No Man's Land's best comic book chapters, and he succeeds in making this a great novel in its own right.

This isn't some quick-and-dirty adaptation to make a few extra bucks from hardcore Bat-fans. Rucka gets us in the heads of the rather large cast, and the characterization is sp
Shar
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I didn't know what to expect reading another novelization of Batman because after reading "Knightfall", I didn't know if there was another good one out there and I have to say, this is my ultimate favourite Batman novel out there. I have tried to find other Batman novels to read and well ... no other can really compare.

Rucka did a great job setting the atmosphere and the tone. It was dark, it was twisted and I was hooked the moment I started reading. It made me feel conflicted about some charact
Craig D.B.
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this both because I'm a Batman fan and because it was one of the inspirations for The Dark Knight Rises. Despite being a 430 page novel, it felt both overlong and incomplete. Too many characters and too many story lines. Some of them don't really go anywhere. Some characters appear to be major players in the early going and then fade into the background or disappear completely. Batman himself doesn't get to do enough interesting things. Lastly, the climax felt anticlimactic. It's more des ...more
Dustin
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an awesome Batman novel. This is what I had hoped for with Knightfall. No Man's Land was dark, gritty, and violent. It managed to incorporate many of the more recognizable villains into a story that really moved fast. The characters had depth, and the plot was woven together nicely. A very, very worthwhile read for Batman fans.
Jake
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: batman
(3.5) I had heard that Rucka's adaptation of his excellent graphic novel series was good and this one did not disappoint. Although I wished it had focused a little more on Gotham (it does in the beginning then just kind of waffles), it's still a well-written tale with great usage of Batman's rogues gallery.
Ryan Stewart
This is one of the best Bat stories ever told and it is vastly superior in Rucka's novelized form. The graphic novels vary between three-and-four stars in my book, but the added depth and overall consistency of the novel has "trapped" me into reading it on four occasions.
Mike
Nov 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like costumes and capes in their thrillers
Yep, that Rucka guy. He had the unenviable task of taking a months-long crossover spanning the entire bat-universe of titles into one book. And made it work. For those of us who couldn't be bothered to get every damn issue the first time.
Stna Clint
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Greg Rucka did a fantastic job translating his own work from the comics to this prose novelization. He cut some of the side heroes out to bring a more direct story narrative but it worked out really well. I've said this before but Batman makes for good prose translation.
শুভঙ্কর শুভ
অসাম একটা বই...মাঝে একসামের কারনে ফেলে রাখছিলাম,পরে মনে ছিল না!শেষ ১ অধযায়ের জনয এতো লেট!কেউ এখনো পড়ে না থাকলে পড়ে ফেলুন!! ...more
Mathew Blackburn
Jun 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
The writing was just too bad to suffer through.
Mladen
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Ok, but not that interesting. Batman character feels a little off.
Maybe it could have turned out a lot better if it wasn't an epistolary from Oracle's POV.
Tom Wright
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I haven't read the comic yet, but I think it will work better as a comic than a book. So many characters, without a satisfying conclusion to their arcs.
Brad
What works:
The set-up is incredible. The execution lags a bit, but could've been brilliant with a smaller cast (one that didn't feel the need to pull in all of Batman's supporting team). It feels stretched too thin.
One feels what it’s like to work with Batman: frustrating and requiring trust and faith. Additionally, we see how the the high standards he holds for himself, he also holds for everyone else.
The good guys aren’t always sure they are right(view spoiler)
Rachel Noel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book because I expressed a love of novelizations of comic books (seriously, Hellboy novels are the best!!!) I am happy to say that this book did not disappoint. I'm not much of a DC fan, I'm more of a Dark Horse Comics person, but Batman is almost always the exception. And, in this case, I am happy to have made that exception and give this book a try.

Because it's a Batman book, one shouldn't be surprised at how much death, blood, fighting, etc. there is. It isn't gory,
BatmanBookWork
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW. This was so good I gave it to my mum who loved it, then I mailed it to my grandad who thought it was good.

Greg Rucka is a master at writing Batman because there huge roster of characters in this book amd you care about all of them. The heroes, the villains (Mr J shares his spotlight), the civilians and police officers, all of them you find yourself having an opinion on them.
Chapters are short and alternate between whats going on with the police and a computer log diary by Oracle. It is such
Michael A Farkas
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I really liked this Batman novel on a number of levels, but probably mostly because of the way it shows Batman interacting with others ( not just Robin, Batgirl, and Nightwing). The supporting cast is way beyond that of either Knightfall or Batman: The Stone King ( both of which I thoroughly enjoyed). I feel like the more characters were brought into the storyline, the more gravity there was to Batman's actions. It was much easier to see how there would be a ripple effect through the lives of ...more
Ryan Thomas
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read a handful of Batman novels over the years and this is easily the best one. It might be a tad confusing to non-comic readers since many of the characters are never explained (Cassandra Cain, Black Mask, Montoya, etc) but it shouldn't deter too much. The thing I liked most about Rucka's novel as opposed to say, Joe Lansdale's novel, is that Batman get s a lot of POV scenes. I think a lot of writers are afraid to write prose from his perspective, but Rucka nails it (of course he's been wr ...more
Neil
I enjoyed this book more this time around than the previous times I have read it. I still 'hate' the ending, though. It moved at a good clip and managed to keep my interesting throughout the entire book. It is kind of unusual, because Batman does not show up until about eighty pages into the book. It is a novelization of a story that ran for just under a year in the various Batman titles as well as some of the other spin-off titles [like Nightwing, Robin, and Huntress].

I think one of the 'best p
Batman: No mans land 1 11 Feb 20, 2014 07:50PM
  • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, Vol. 1
  • The Flash:  Stop Motion
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.

Batman: No Man's Land (10 books)
  • Batman: Cataclysm
  • Batman: Road to No Man's Land Vol. 1
  • Batman: Road to No Man's Land, Vol. 2
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 5
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 2 (New Edition)
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 4 (New Edition)