Start by marking “Batman: Son of the Demon” as Want to Read:
Batman: Son of the Demon

Batman: Son of the Demon (Batman)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  4,479 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
BATMAN: SON OF THE DEMON combines great character development and superb writing to realistically tell a tale in which Batman must form an uneasy alliance with his greatest adversary. When a demented terrorist creates a weapon that allows him to control the weather, the Dark Knight Detective joins forces with Ra's al Ghul and his daughter Talia in order to stop the madman ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by DC Comics (first published September 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Pavel Simeonov Well, first you buy it. Then you pick it up, And in the end you read it. It's a pretty hard process, but you should manage. You're a smart man after…moreWell, first you buy it. Then you pick it up, And in the end you read it. It's a pretty hard process, but you should manage. You're a smart man after all.(less)

Sam Quixote
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Son of the Demon is another episode of Batman and his mad in-laws, the Al-Ghul’s. He may get to plow the mega-hawt Talia but he’s gotta put up with his mental father-in-law’s ravings about wiping out humanity over dinner – the things we do to wet our beaks, eh? And what’s that – the pitter-patter of tiny feet? Will Batman finally cheer up??

This one’s actually not a bad comic. The more I read of Mike Barr’s Batman, the more surprised I am that it’s not the absolute garbage I keep expecting. I thi
Nicky
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
It's an interesting story concept, whatever the DC editors decide to do with it. But some particulars of the Batman, Talia, and Ra's al Ghul team-up make the character of Batman feel extremely compromised. It doesn't feel right to me when Batman fights alongside guys toting machine guns who mow down the opposition, even if they are just a bunch of flunkies.
Keely
I wasn't sure if I really did enjoy reading this, to be honest. In reflection, it has everything I liked about a Batman comic book that should make me enjoy it. One, it has Ra's Al Ghul and everything with Ra's is always something I welcome (and more often than not, something awesome always happens with him around). Second, it has Batman/Bruce Wayne dealing with a situation where things are getting personal for him and I have to read him cope with them with the strength and integrity I have alwa ...more
Stephen
3.0 stars. A good solid Batman story featuring one of my favorite Batman villains, the immortal Ras Al Ghul. Not the best, but a decent effort and worth the read.
Bryan
Nov 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superheroes
Batman is the original dark & scary hero. From the beginning, he chose an image intended to strike fear in the hearts of criminals.

So it's natural for writers to experiment a bit, seeing how close to the edge they can take Batman. Dark but never evil... Driven but never crazy... Dangerous but never erratic...

And this is exemplified in the tendency for Batman to fall for female villains. It's strange - he's not going to think that the Joker would make a good person to have poker games with, s
Jen
Sep 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a hit and miss, I think, but for the most part, it's a hit with me. The premise is really to set up Batman and his arch-nemesis, Ra's al Ghul as allies in defeating a common enemy, mainly the latter's, known as Qayin.

Meanwhile Ra's' daughter, Talia and Bruce rekindle their romance (such as it is) and consummate their "marriage". Surely enough, Talia is with child soon after, leaving Bruce to consider his true priorities, and giving Talia no other choice but to do as she knows is right.
Ramsey Hootman
Aug 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Possibly my least favorite Batman story ever. What gets me is the emotional importance of the subject matter - and Barr just ruins every single moment. The action storyline involving some villain who wants to gain control of a weather-making satellite is decent. All the threads come together at the end. But when it comes to the romance between Batman and Talia... ugh, it's just awful. Really, really awful. I have no idea how DC could have taken such a pivotal point in Batman's history (having a ...more
Aqeel Khalid
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Everything about Batman feels wrong in this book. This isn't like any incarnation of Batman I've ever read, and that severly hurts the book.
مصطفي سليمان
حبكة ضعيفة للغاية
احداث مبالغة بها للغاية وتصعيد غير مفهوم و تعاون غير منطقي مع رأس الغول
يمكن الجزء الوحيد المفضل فكرة قصة أصل رأس الغول وحتي تطورها يعني مكنش فيه اي اضافة حقيقة
وبعدين قلبت بقي ب أفورة تماما وسياسة و روس بقي و تحكم بالطقس و اجواء عجيبة الصراحة
الميزة الأكبر الرسم و الالوان

دا أفضل شئ
John Ekleberry
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I really enjoyed most of this... the story fell apart a bit midway through, with things falling apart for Batman as well, so I guess that makes sense. Plus the whole weather machine subplot was pretty lame.

I read this in two sittings, and enjoyed the first half far more than the second- perhaps this would not have been the case otherwise. Either way, the art by Jerry Bingham is excellent and a great representation of the Neal Adams style Batman. Very enjoyable to look at.
bookme4life
Oct 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
Admittedly, my exposure to this graphic novel was very limited -- couldn't stomach finishing it -- so my low rating may be unfair. But it felt ridiculous in too many places to appreciate the story as a whole. The Batman-Talia bit was the final straw.

BOO!
Hális Alves
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Barr acidentalmente escreveu um roteiro breguíssimo de James Bond para Batman e não deu certo. A parte boa da história se deve às cores incríveis de Bingham.
seda
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Batman: Son of the Demon is something in betweens: you don't hate it but you don't love it either. And if you are like like me, there is a strong possibility you have read it because it is somewhat essential to latest Robin, Damian Wayne's, story.
Michael (Mai)
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Like always when I'm trying to explore some character or plot point, I went to Josh Epstein, I asked for some books that involved Ra's Al Ghul and Talia. I'd seen bits and pieces of stories where they were in it. I'd seen their interactions in the Batman video games but didn't really know what was up. Josh didn't even have an answer for me. Instead, David Letter, the news editor for Capeless Crusader gave me some suggestions. First up was Batman: Son of the Demon.

I finally got my hands on it but
Justyn Rampa
Aug 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Blarg! This was a chore to get through and I couldn't disagree more with IGN's placement of this tale as #7 on the list of Greatest Batman stories. I may be biased because I have never cared for Ra's al ghul, although this didn't make me care for him any more. Also, I want to punch Talia in the face. Every time she says "beloved" which seriously is like punctuation for her sentences for example:

"Can you hand me some toast, beloved."

"What is going on, beloved?"

"Don't worry beloved, my dad likes t
Mario
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Batman story. One of the great additions to Batman's rogue gallery is Ra'Als Ghul and his daughter. To me, Talia will always be Batman's true love, sorry Selina.For Batman's rogues, there are just a different aspect of the Dark Knight himself. Ras Al'Ghul is just like Batman, but more aggressive; however, not nearly as crazy as the Joker. This is a very underrated Batman's story, but it does have flaws. For instance, Batman left Gotham city for a long period for a small crime ...more
Tyler
Frank
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one strange Batman story. An elseworld story that Grant Morrison (sortof/kinda) made canon later on. It tells the tale of Batman hunting down a criminal named Qain, who turns out to be the killer of Ras Al Gual's Wife & Talia's Mother. Batman then teams up with Ras, marries Talia & leads the league of Assassins (or shadows, take your pick). Batman acts kind of strangely the whole time but the action is big, the story well paced & there are some really badass moments. Not nece ...more
Ashish
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Decent enough, I guess. Old-school Batman. Nice story, nostalgia-bringing art style (Indrajal, I'm looking at you) and a good Damian origin story. Interesting to see this side of Talia - we always knew she was hard, but we never thought she could be this hard. This is why I always feel the characters in the comics are a lot tougher, crueller, and colder than the Hollywood versions - the summer mass audiences aren't ready for that level of cold. That's how you differentiate the graphic novels and ...more
Barry
Apr 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a decent book, with good art, but only so-so dialogue. Talia's use of "Beloved" seems a bit over the top. Actually Bruce and Talia's whole relationship seems over the top. The thing that saves this book is the very last page, which nudged my score from this book up a notch.

All in all it's a decent story that keeps moving and isn't bad, it's just not the greatest Batman story out there.
sixthreezy
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, batman
Qayin is one terrifying, skull-smashing, and rib-crunching villain. I looked at this as not only a story of Ra's al Ghul teaming up with Batman and his daughter Talia, but also the birth of Damien who becomes a significant part of the modern, and more current Batman stories. I read this as a part of the Birth of the Demon collection, but wanted to rate the story separately.
Steve Magay
Dec 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: junk
It's nice to see a love story arc from the batman universe, but the book just didn't feel like a batman comicbook, felt more like a bond film LOL. Panels all screwed up and cramped also. Just read it to know the origin of Damian Wayne.
J.M. Hushour
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Retconned and now retconned back in by Grant Morrison. The late 80s tale of where Batman's son came from (the current Robin): Bats' love affair with the daughter of Ra's al-Ghul, with whom the Dark Knight temporarily fights alongside of, ends up in her getting knocked up. Cool story, awesome art.
David
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: batman
This story moved at quite a clip. Strange to see how weak of a character Talia was in the 80s compared to Morrison's take on her. Apparently Morrison included this story into the mythology of the Batman in Batman & Son.
Gautam Surath
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Important storyline I think. Especially given what was to come. Little far fetched though for I cannot see the Bat working with the Demon for any cause albeit one as simple as this. In the end well written but too simple for a good batman book. Must read though for the Batman timeline
Donncha Ó Caoimh
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite Batman stories!
Tim
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very cool Ras al Ghul origin story.
Priya
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Solid Ra's Al Ghul story that tied Morrison's Batman and Robin together for me. See kind of an 'old school Bat' in the artwork, but I don't really mind. I still need to read Batman RIP...
Mike Noyes
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Fantastic Batman story. Very well written.
Michael
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is actually pretty solid writing. Batman is put in a realistic narrative and reacts as a human, not as Batman.
  • Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying
  • Batman: Night Cries
  • Batman: Thrillkiller
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, Vol. 1
  • Batman: Broken City
Mike W. Barr is an American writer of comic books, and mystery, and science fiction novels. Barr's debut as a comics professional came in DC Comics' Detective Comics #444 (Dec. 1974-Jan. 1975), for which he wrote an 8-page back-up mystery feature starring the Elongated Man. Another Elongated Man story followed in Detective Comics #453 (November 1975). He wrote text articles and editorial replies i ...more
More about Mike W. Barr

Batman (1 - 10 of 375 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Whisper Beach
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Isabella: Braveheart of France
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Queen of Swords (Wilderness, #5)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • In Love & Trouble: Stories of Black Women
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel