Start by marking “Innocent Hearts” as Want to Read:
Innocent Hearts

Innocent Hearts (Prairie Hearts #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  841 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Kate Beecher, a young woman from Boston, looks ahead with a sense of restless longing to the life her family and friends expect her to embrace. She doesn't know what she wants, or who, until she moves with her family to the wild Montana Territory of the 1860's. Just eighteen and quietly struggling against the social constraints of the era, Kate meets a woman who fires firs ...more
Published June 24th 2014 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Innocent Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent Hearts

CLo
4.5*
I really enjoyed this story so much more than some of her recent books being released. It was a sweet story and for a Radclyffe romance I would say a slow burn as in it took more than two weeks for the characters to say "I love you."
Also, I found it free online. Whether it is significantly different from the published version I don't know, but free is always good in my book.
Jenna
So, I came to this novel after reading Kicker's Journey, Backwards to Oregon, Hidden Truths, and Jae's collected short stories in the Oregon series, hoping to find another historical lesbian romance of similar quality. This is not that. There is very little period detail here of any kind, aside from the occasional mention of Levi's, and this version of 1860 Montana appears to exist in an alternate reality where most people are just totally A-OK with queer romance. I'm all for sexual orientation/ ...more
Ridley
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I read this book! It made me feel all warm and fuzzy in a drinking chocolate while playing with kittens sort of way. It's a tender romance between two people who respect each other and a total breath of fresh air for me.
Serena
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet love story!
Radclyffe knows how to describe the magic of first love.
Romance at its best. Also the beautiful and sensual love scenes make this book a pleasure to read.
Evan
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like lesbian romances/historical fiction
Jahnavi
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is sweet, if not a little stereotypical for a Western. But, you'll notice I gave it five stars because I don't give a damn. In fact, the clichés and the predictability made this enjoyable. It's all too often that lesbian novels are some art project. They're married, there's a huge age gap, they're going to end up dead or miserable because this book has to mean something really deep, and so on. Or, it's one of those lesbian novels where it is just a lighthearted and/or simple story to b ...more
Morgan
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the few Radclyffe books I've truly enjoyed. It's a western (extra points for that), self-contained, and the characters are unique and believable. There's an actual romance in this book that builds rather than her trend of the lead characters jumping each other the first chance they get. This was a great, quick summer read.
Rebekah WSM
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been looking for a lesbian romance for a really long time, but I could never really get into the plots. I really enjoyed this book. Radclyffe covers really sensitive subject matter in a very conservative time and still manages to create a believable love story. It also helps that I love historical fiction. I would definitely recommend this book.
Ty
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Radclyffe seems to have a habit of writing around action. We as the reader don't get to see a lot of the important events in her books, we only get to see the emotional fallout afterwards. It seems we are not meant to have our own feelings about what happens to these characters, we are only meant to experience the emotions of those watching. It's frustrating.
Bronwyn
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
5 “oh my God, my heart” stars. I ship Kate and Jessie soooooo hard and also I’d let Jessie teach me how to ride at her ranch anytime. Did I just write that? Yes I did. This ain’t Shakespeare but omg the romance, the drama, the steamy love scenesssssss. 🤯🤯 10/10 can imagine secret lesbians in 2003 reading this and having it blow their minds. What a time to be alive. 😏😂
Rox
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Nope. Nope.

I didn't like it at all. Both characters did not have the chemistry I expected. There was nothing wrong with the writing, the story was just boring. I was disappointed, plain and simple.
Celine
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this, just finished reading it for the second time :) Kate & Jessie's story is beautiful, and wonderfully written. Highly recommended! Definitely one of my top 5 Romance novels of all time :)
Derek Reid
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Calamity Jesse rides again
A
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-b-romance, own
Maybe its just because I'm a prairie girl, but this was fantastic.

Lots of shy, oh-shucks interactions in a cute, not frustrating, kind of way. Not going to let anyone or anything stop their love.
Kim Ramirez
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by Radclyffe! I enjoy western themed stories, that era creates a whole new dimension to what it must have been like to be a lesbian way back when. I very much enjoyed the story!
Megzz
Not Radclyffe's best work, to say the least.

I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to reading a new kind of romance, with a different storyline that takes place in the 19th century. But it fell so short. It didn't feel real at all, it was such a cliché... the cowboy butch, the excited femme, the prostitute, the saloon, the influenza... I just think there could have been more to it than what we see in western movies.

Radclyffe can be so inconsistent, it's really hard to know if I like h
Lissa
Kate travels west with her parents, Martin and Martha, and falls in love with Montana. She also befriends Jessie, who defies virtually all of the restrictions that were imposed on Kate back in Boston. Jessie owns a ranch and commands the respect of the townspeople. Kate begins to have some seriously conflicted feelings about Jessie.

I really like the idea of this story: two young, spirited, independent girls falling in love with one another at a time when there wasn't really a word to describe wh
Jasmine
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written, although very simply so. I would have loved a little more substance - historical details, more fleshed out secondary characters. But I really can't give a bad rating to a book that had me smiling all the way through. The romance is beautiful and sweet and our two main characters are vibrant souls. The story is set over the breathtaking backdrop of Montana in the 1860s which lends its own kind of energy to the story.

A quick, easy, and fun read - it's a book I would pi
Svetlana Wesley
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top3 favorite books of Radclyffe. After Loves melody lost and When Dreams Tremble
Jean
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, gblt
Surprising setting and characters...but it was actually really well written and a very sexy read.
maria
fantastic author
Esther
Nov 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It only took me ten days to go through this book. No words added, you can figure out the rest...
lov2laf
3.8 stars.

This is a solid, sweet love story. It was a little on the simple side and the characters were all pretty two dimensional but it's a decent, feel good read.
Gabrielle
Very cheesy romance novel, overuses the word "beautiful".
Pricelessfem
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesbian-romance
This was a good book, not my fav by Radclyffe but definently a good one!
Naomi Stebler-stock
Radclyffe is a brilliant writer. All her books are gripping & I couldn't put down!
Candy
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Radclyffe and I love a good Western. It's been awhile since I have read it but I give it two thumbs up.
Diana
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.8
Drianne
Published Xena
Kim
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of her best. Radcliffe seems to gloss over the issues of coming out in all her books, but this one the characters sexuality was being examine closely and she didn't treat it realistically.
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • Tumbleweed Fever
  • Without Warning (Shaken, #1)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • Coyote Sky
  • Josie and Rebecca: The Western Chronicles
  • Hard Times
  • Hunter's Pursuit
  • Battle Scars
  • Unforgettable
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Carly's Sound
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
Radclyffe has written over forty-five romance and romantic intrigue novels, dozens of short stories, and, writing as L.L. Raand, has authored a paranormal romance series, The Midnight Hunters. She has also edited Best Lesbian Romance 2009 through 2015 as well as multiple other anthologies. She is an eight-time Lambda Literary Award finalist in romance, mystery, and erotica—winning in both romance ...more
More about Radclyffe

Prairie Hearts (2 books)
  • Promising Hearts

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Yellow Rose Beauty Shop (Cadillac, Texas #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Force of Temptation (Mercury Pack, #2)
  • Wildalone
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Let Go (Hard Ink, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Comfort of Secrets (Sweet Lake #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Obsessions (The Phoenix Pack, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It's In His Heart (Red River Valley, #1)
  • Wicked Angel
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Wind Dancer (Wind Dancer, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99