Start by marking “999 Tadpoles” as Want to Read:
999 Tadpoles

999 Tadpoles

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  470 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews

“We’ll have to move,” says Mother, after realizing the pond is too small.  But moving a family of 999 young frogs is fraught with danger! Hungry snakes are crawling through the grass. Hungry hawks are flying through the sky. A young frog makes a mighty tasty morsel.

Never underestimate the quick wits of 999 young frogs!
Published May 1st 2011 by NorthSouth Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about 999 Tadpoles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 999 Tadpoles

Linda
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute little book! My daughter loved the pictures of all the tiny frogs. :)
Lata
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable little picture book about a frog family that must move from their pond.
Jill
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Both my boys LOVED this book..as did I. Recommended by a good resource. Makes you giggle and they love saying the "999!" part of the book. Who doesn't like tadpoles and frogs and their journey to find a home big enough for their family. Super cute.
Erica Massarelli
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
999 Tadpoles by Ken Kimura is a cute story about growing up and the dangers of the world around us. In this tale, a mom and dad frog have 999 babies. When the babies get too big for the pond, they have to make the dangerous journey to a new home, facing many scary creatures along the way. The pictures and colors used in this book are very engaging, and it is a story that would be loved by many ages.
Chrissy
Is it bad that I thought this was cute and funny? A huge family of baby frogs (with their parents) almost end up eaten by a hawk - but the little frogs think it's a grand adventure! Tiny certainly liked looking at the pictures and turning the pages on his own (as well as he could do, anyway). But we had fun with this one.
Bkrieth
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm not even sure why I like this book so much, but I do. I can't wait to read it with my class-fun illustrations, great humor. This feels like a fable for today's kids. I might ask my students what the moral would be if it was a fable.
Molly
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the story of a mother and father frog who find a home for their growing family of 999 tadpoles in an unexpected way. I used it in storytime when the number of the week was 9. The kids seemed to like it and laugh.
Bailey
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found myself laughing my through this delightful tale of frog survival! My 4k students listened intently to this book as well. I can't wait to share it with my own kids when we start studying pond life.
Jennifer B.
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So adorable.
Meredith
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Too funny. Charming illustrations.
Kristen
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun read aloud for PreK while they’re studying life cycles.
Evelyn Song
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gbd
很有趣,意想不到的情节想象力丰富
Allison
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very fun and creative book. Both my 3-year-old and 5-year-old are happy to hear the story again and again. We recently found out that there are sequels and those are great too!
Julia
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Adorable illustrations!
Meredith
I LOVE IT! So funny. The pictures are adorable.
Kendall Bayer
999 Tadpoles is a story about a mother and a father frog that give birth to 999 young tadpoles. When the tadpoles eventually grow into frogs their home in their small pond is no longer big enough to hold all of them and they are forced to leave to find another pond. They all line up to trek across the endless stretch of grass with the young tadpoles complaining the whole time. The father warns them that they must stay together to avoid dangers such as snakes. The tadpoles then notice a snake sit ...more
Ian Wood
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Tasha
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
999 tadpoles are born in a small pond but when they turn into frogs, they completely run out of room to even breathe! So mother and father frog decide they must find a new home to live in. All of the 999 tadpoles follow their father across a big field. He warns them about the dangers of snakes, just a moment before the little frogs come dragging a sleepy snake up to him. They escape that danger, but don’t notice the hawk circling above them. Down comes the hawk and grabs the father frog in his t ...more
Linden
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lis-510, read-aloud
999 Tadpoles is a hilarious book written by Ken Kimura. The story starts with 999 tadpoles growing up in a pond. As they get older, they need a place to live that has more room for all of the big frog family. So they start to explore the world beyond the pond for a bigger one to live in. As they make their travels, the frog family runs into many creatures such as snakes and hawks. One hawk helps the frog family reach their destination of their new large pond home. This book is a great read aloud ...more
Elizabeth Smith
Kimura, Ken. 999 Tadpoles. Illus. Yasunari Murakimi. New York: North-South Books Inc., 2003. Print. Fiction, frogs, migration. The book 999 Tadpoles tells the story about a young couple of frogs that have 999 tadpoles in a small pond. When the tadpoles become frogs the pond is much too small and they have to travel to find a bigger to live in. With adventures along the way the frogs eventually find a new home. I think both the author and the illustrator did a really good job at giving readers an ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I wish I'd read this before Christmas instead of after, as my 5-year-old great nephew loves frogs, and I'm sure he'd love this story. I'll have to get it for him for his birthday. It's a rather simple but fanciful tale of how Mother and Father Frog find a bigger pond for their 999 babies. It's also an educational story in that the reader learns that tadpoles become frogs and snakes and hawks eat frogs. Don't worry, the tadpoles and their parents all survive! I wasn't thrilled with the illustrati ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mother and Father Frog have 999 tadpole babies. Suddenly the pond is too crowded. On their way to a new pond, Father is snatched by a hawk, but the babies and Mother grab hold of Father as the hawk flies away with them all. They can just hold on for so long. When they fall, happily, they fall into an enormous pond where the family has plenty of room.

A nice narrative flow and inviting illustrations combine for a satisfying story.

“’Why is this frog getting so heavy?’ the hawk wondered and he looke
Alexandra
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this one and the storytime kids I shared it with did, too. A few opportunities to be really silly ("'Like this?' asked the 999 young frogs."/"'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!' said Father."), and emotive illustrations that were as enjoyable for me and for the caregivers in the room as they were for the kids.

It's on the longer side, so I followed it up with two shorter books. I think this is a great starter book for storytime, but letting the kids get up or sing or do some activity afterwards is a g
Romelle
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the illustrations of the darling tadpoles/frogs against the white background. It slows the pace of the book so that the text can be savored at each page turn. The title alone is intriguing. When the tadpoles outgrow their pond, where will they go? That's the question that begs to be answered. The story takes the readers on an adventure, which makes me want more. However, the adventure seemed short-lived and the ending left me unfulfilled. The plot lost its momentum when it cut short th ...more
Tim Johnson
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-time
I could barely handle two kids on a trip back in the days when I had some patience left over, but 99 of them? Can you imagine 99 kids on an extended car trip? "he's touching me, are we there yet, I have to go to the bathroom, she took my thing, etc." I would probably abandon them at a gas station in Arizona.

999 tadpoles start out small but soon take up the whole lake and need to move. Mom and Pop tadpole take them on a perilous journey. Don't worry though, a thousand little tadpoles can be a for
Arminzerella
Ok, so it's not very realistic to think that 999 eggs would all hatch and that 999 tadpoles would all survive to grow up and become 999 frogs who would then travel with their 2 parents to a new pond - by way of a bird of prey. We'd have a serious population problem in our ponds if there were no frog casualties.

Although this is a bit fantastical, it's really cute. Yasunari Murakami's illustrations are simple and childlike and adorable, and Ken Kimura's story strikes just the right notes. Little
Karen A.
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Very funny and yet true to life:

Mother and Father Frog have 999 babies. Suddenly their little pond is too small for the family. What to do? What to do? Move. How to move 999 babies? Hop. Hop. Hop. But watch out for snakes and hawks. A funny light take on the real life perils of finding a place to live for you family. Mr. Murakami's illustrations are wonderfully playful and compliment the text well. This is a fun and humorous story book. One more for the Frog themed story times.
Kris
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
My favorite picture book of the year is 999 Tadpoles by Ken Kitamura. This book is full of charm - brimming! All parents of 2-5 year olds need to buy it to read for their little ones. The top-notch illustrations are so basic and yet so perfect; the simple story line is told with suspense and wit. This is a real treasure of children's book. The ECA Kindergarten students and I had a lively discussion about who loved it more, them or me. I was outnumbered a bit so I suppose they won....
Coqueline
Jun 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter got this book from her granny. Even though I don't read German myself, the illustration is clever (and oh-so-charming) enough to let me get what happened in the story. And then my daughter decided I need to REALLY know the exact story and start retelling them to me. Between the hilarious illustration and a lively 5-year-old way of telling the story, it had me in stitches. A favourite already in the house.
Fibersian
As the frog family moves they encounter many dangers in their journey. They overcome everything.

This book introduces the concept of large numbers. The illustration of all the tadpoles is a large group of small dots. Though young kids won't count them all they can see that large quantity is made up of a large group of objects.

There is also clear narrative structure.
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • Yucky Worms
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit
  • My Name is Elizabeth!
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Jonathan and the Big Blue Boat