Start by marking “A Christmas Memory” as Want to Read:
A Christmas Memory

Truman Capote

A Christmas Memory

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  8,375 Ratings  ·  719 Reviews
A Christmas Memory is the classic memoir of Truman Capote's childhood in rural Alabama. Until he was ten years old, Capote lived with distant relatives. This book is an autobiographical story of those years and his frank and fond memories of one of his cousins, Miss Sook Faulk. The text is illustrated with full color illustrations that add greatly to the story without dist ...more
Published (first published 1956)

Lawyer
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lawyer by: Mr. and Mrs. R.H. McConnell, beloved grandparents
Capote's Holiday Memoirs: The Whispers of Memory

Truman Capote's The Thanksgiving Visitor was chosen as a Moderator's Choice by Laura Webber, "The Tall Woman," as a read for the group On the Southern Literary Trail for November, 2014

These reflections have been written over the course of nearly three years. After my wife read these thoughts, she pointed out the importance of marking the time of thoughts in connection with the events of our lives.

December 24, 2011

Perhaps I should say this is not so
Melki
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are each other's best friends.

I've watched the television special - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGEU... - countless times now, so it was impossible to read this without hearing Capote's voice.

Imagine a morning in late November. A coming of winter morning more than twenty years ago.

This short vignette tells of the last Christmas Capote spent with his friend, a distant, decades older cousin.

. . . we have lived together --- well, as long as I can remember. Other people inhabit the hous
kohey
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually I’ve read this little sparkling gem for five years in a row,and will have been reading until I have memorized the whole passages.Let me add this;this is one of Haruki Murakami’s favs,and his Japanese translation is great!Good stories easily leap beyond the barrier of languages.It’s an undeniable fact.
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, finished tonight with my 10 year old. Note to self....last 2 pages don't sit well. Lots of tears shed by my daughter and I'm trying not to let my voice crack with emotion. Easy to get invested in Miss Sook and Buddy! Quote by daughter "so much love".
Chris
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can remember first hearing this story read to me when I was in 5th grade. The reader broke down crying, which even at a young age, struck me how emotionally powerful this story remains. It's my favorite Christmas tradition - every Christmas Eve, when I finally retire, I take my worn copy of Capote's A Christmas Memory, snuggle into bed, and transport to a different time. I have an old video of A Christmas Memory narrated by Capote, so I continue to hear his distinct high-pitched voice speak th ...more
Meghan
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was in my junior year of high school, my English teacher Mrs. O'Brien brought this book in one day. She sat on the edge of her desk, and she held up a well worn copy of it, and told us that each year before Thanksgiving she reads the entire book (there are three novellas included). Then she proceeded to read to us. We were mesmerized. She read that entire period, and we all had tears in our eyes as she read "A Christmas Memory". The next day, we filed in, she sat on her desk, and she read ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, of course
This short story is the best Christmas literature. Yes, better than A Christmas Carol and The Night Before Christmas. Don’t bother to lecture me.

I have read this bittersweet story so many times that I’ve lost count. And every time I cry. The simple friendship of an abandoned child and his child-like cousin is made even more poignant when you find out the story is true, right down to the rat terrier Queenie: Buddy is actually Truman Capote, and the cousin is his mother’s cousin Nanny “Sook” Faul
Mohsin Maqbool
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

TRUMAN Capote's A Christmas Memory is a recollection of his boyhood in rural Alabama. It was first published in 1956 and has become a modern-day classic. It is an unforgettable portrait of an enduring friendship between two cousins, Miss Sook Falk -- who is in her 60s -- and Buddy – who is seven.
Every November with the change in season, Miss Sook Falk exclaims loudly: "It's fruitcake weather!"
Mr. Capote goes on to explain. “The person to whom she is speaking is myself. I am seven; she is sixty
Book Concierge
5***** and a ❤
This autobiographical novella is a wonderful, touching story of family love. Capote is at the peak of his writing ability here. Our hearts embrace Buddy and Sookie. The date listed is when our book club discussed it, but I've had this book for ages and I read it every December on my birthday.

Update: December 2010
This autobiographical story is based on Capote’s own childhood, living with relatives in Alabama. It’s a memory of the innocence of childhood and the anticipation of someth
Brian Yahn
Truman Capote is so freaking talented, it's insane. In one paragraph, in a few short sentences, he's able to weave this image of his childhood so clearly, I felt like I was experiencing virtual reality, rather than reading. In the next, he introduces an older woman who exclaims, "It's fruitcake weather!" and takes the narrator on an adventure, and as a reader, I was completely hooked.

The story has an immediate hook, and it packs a powerful and emotional punch possibly stronger than any other sho
Ned Mozier
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little memory, made my cry at the end for all the lost loves and memories before life takes us all beyond childhood into cold, regimented adulthood. As an autobiography, this is "frankly" true by Capote long before he was taken up into the modern New York vortex. Very sweet, authentic and a perfect read for the holiday season.
Sandy (CA)
In spite of their poverty, seven-year-old Buddy and his eccentric elderly cousin celebrate the small pleasures of life - gathering ingredients for the annual fruitcake baking, tramping through the woods in search of the perfect tree, and exchanging hand-made gifts on Christmas Day. Delightful watercolour illustrations by Beth Peck bring the story to life before the reader's eyes.
Ananthu
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Warm, humorous, and with a soupcon of melancholy. Capote's prose is delectable and filigreed, and speaks volumes than what's overt on the page. A morning well-spent.
Simona
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 5/5 || Recenzia pe Secretele Cărților || Cumpără cartea

carte o amintire de craciun a christmas memory truman capote

O poveste emoționantă
Am auzit de foarte multe ori discuții despre O amintire de Crăciun de Truman Capote, însă nu aveam nici cea mai vagă idee despre ce este această carte. În preajma sărbătorilor de iarnă am avut ocazia să o lecturez într-o ediție bilingvă pe care Editura Arthur a propus-o pentru toți copiii care ar trebui să descopere o poveste emoționantă.

Personajele noastre principale sunt un băiețel și prietena sa cea mai bună,
Tina
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of love and memories. Just beautiful in its' simplicity and unforgettable in how much it makes you remember your past Christmases. It reminded me so much of the special people like my Grandmother and her friends that had such a lasting impact on my life. It reminded me of crocheting and baking cakes and rolls with her at Christmas - gifts for neighbors and friends.

I still miss Grandmother and especially at Christmas. She had an old Santa that always hung from her front door that
Lisa N
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Oh my…it’s fruitcake weather!” begins this story in a homey little kitchen in rural Alabama. Seven-year-old Buddy and his dotty, 60-something cousin begin their Christmas fruitcake-baking ritual foraging for windfall pecans in a nearby grove.

Based on memories from Truman Capote’s childhood where he lived with a family of distant, elderly cousins. This story has Deep South written all over it, from the blackberry jelly, to the fig branches, the moonshine whiskey, the flies in August, and the re
Steve Lindahl
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory is a short, beautifully written story by one of my favorite authors. It's about the relationship between a woman in the latter years of her life and a boy just starting out. It is, according to the book jacket notes, “based on Capote's own boyhood in rural Alabama in the 1930's.” The edition I read was illustrated by Beth Peck. The pictures are as wonderful as the text.

Here is how Capote introduces the relationship between the woman and the boy:

I am seven; she
Melinda
Oct 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am always looking for books to read in the upcoming Christmas season. I saw this book in a catalog, and thought I would read it first from the library. I'm glad I saved my money and did not buy it.

While beautifully written it is a terribly sad and tragic book, not one that I would want to bring out from year to year and read over again. Perhaps a better title would have been "A Christmas memory -- some sweet but alot bitter and unhappy". It is largely autobiographical, which explains much as
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice short read over the Christmas season. A great part comes toward the end when the main character is flying kites with his elderly friend. The friend says, "My, how foolish I am! You know what I've always thought? I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when He came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a ...more
Nana Steph
A Christmas Memory by Truman Capote is a simple story on the surface, but it is loaded with complex ideas. Truman's relationship with his beloved aunt and their days leading up to Christmas is told from Truman's memory through the eyes of his six year old self. Using flowery writing and beautiful prose, his memory comes to life.
The story can stand well on it's own, but I had the added pleasure of knowing Mr. Capote through the eyes of Harper Lee, his best childhood friend, and have had the privi
Susan
Dec 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard A Christmas Memory on the radio sometime in the 1970's, read by Truman Capote. I was caught and held at once by the eerie quality of his voice, and as I listened to his words, it seemed to me that his voice was the only possible medium through which this southern-gothic Christmas tale could be properly rendered. His voice, the story: all of a piece; yet the written form allows me a langorous repetition of some of his most beautiful sentences. Nothing quite like it.
Katy
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful stories I have every read. Wonderful writing and it brought happiness & then tears to my eyes. My copy also has the most wonderful illustrations. A new favorite Christmas Story.
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
A Christmas Memory is a lovely collection of holiday stories. Prior to this small book, the only thing I had read by Truman Capote was In Cold Blood. Part of the brilliance behind that work of non-fiction was the writing, it was almost lyrical and truly remarkable. In this way, I was not disappointed by A Christmas Memory. It was as delectable as a sugarplum. Each sentence was music to my ears.

Each story was unique in its own way. In A Christmas Memory the featured story about a young Truman Cap
Heather
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sensitive and intricate rendering of a life memory--a story Capote has carried with him throughout his whole life. A memoir, the book recounts Capote's memories of one special holiday Christmas, spent with his elderly cousin whom he lived with "as long as I can remember." The young Capote refers to his cousin as "my friend", and she, in turn, calls him "Buddy". Their relationship is whole enduring; it transcends vast differences of age and circumstance. The young Truman had a future ah ...more
Radwa
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the Truman Capote short stories I've read, as it talks about Buddy Reminiscing old Christmas times with a special old and fun friend. It's interesting because for most of the story we see a friendship between a 7 years old and a 60 years old, and the interaction between them.
Jane Greensmith
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a gorgeous, moving Christmas memoir; I loved this and plan to read it every year.
Linda Lipko
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caught up in the fact that I do not like the personality of what was Truman Capote. Dying from alcoholism, with few friends because he threw them away with his cutting, acerbic, back-biting nastiness, in his insecurity, claiming he helped Harper Lee pen her award-winning novel, while in fact she helped him write his masterpiece In Cold Blood, I allowed this to cloud my opinion of his writing.

Then, I read this incredible book and it confirmed what a talented, gifted writer he was.

His childhood wa
Joan
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Holiday books. There was a TV version of it done in 1966 with Geraldine Paige which was excellent. A newer version was done in 1997 with Patty Duke which doesn't even compare. If you ever get a chance to see the first version , it is excellent.
Jojo
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Esta é a minha estreia com Capote e fiquei fascinada com a sua escrita! De uma beleza extraordinária, estas poucas páginas fazem-nos rir e chorar com facilidade e acreditar no espírito de Natal que, o que é mais importante é a família.
Genial!
Play Book Tag: A Christmas Memory / Truman Capote - 5***** and a ❤ 4 13 Dec 30, 2016 08:43AM
TSU Book Group: December Book: Truman Capote: A Christmas Memory 1 1 Nov 09, 2015 08:02AM
The Gordon-Nash E...: Have you read this book? 3 11 Feb 28, 2014 01:22PM
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • A Christmas Story
  • The Story of the Other Wise Man
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • The Reindeer Keeper: Believe Again...
  • Take Joy
  • Miracle on 34th Street
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
Truman Capote was an American writer whose non-fiction, stories, novels and plays are recognised literary classics, including the novella Breakfast at Tiffany's (1958) and In Cold Blood (1965), which he labeled a "non-fiction novel." At least 20 films and TV dramas have been produced from Capote novels, stories and screenplays.

He was born as Truman Streckfus Persons to a salesman Archulus Persons
More about Truman Capote...

“It's bad enough in life to do without something YOU want; but confound it, what gets my goat is not being able to give somebody something you want THEM to have.” 64 likes
“My, how foolish I am! You know what I've always thought? I've always thought a body would have to be sick and dying before they saw the Lord. And I imagined that when He came it would be like looking at the Baptist window: pretty as colored glass with the sun pouring through, such a shine you don't know it's getting dark. And it's been a comfort: to think of that shine taking away all the spooky feeling. But I'll wager it never happens. I'll wager at the very end a body realizes the Lord has already shown Himself. That things as they are, just what they've always seen, was seeing Him. As for me, I could leave the world with today in my eyes.” 23 likes