Start by marking “Batman: Sword of Azrael” as Want to Read:
Batman: Sword of Azrael

Batman: Sword of Azrael (Batman)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  849 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The descendant of holy warriors, Jean Paul is forced into using his ancestral super powers and abilities to become Azrael, the avenging angel of an ancient cult. But when the Order of St. Dumas targets Batman, Azrael begins to question his life and duty. After working alongside the Dark Knight to defeat the deadly demon that threatens the ancient cult, Azrael turns his bac ...more
Published June 10th 1993 by DC Comics (first published January 1993)

Dec 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Reseña | Batman: La Espada De Azrael

Hay personajes del mundo de Batman que son muy populares, tales como El Joker, Dos Caras o El Acertijo, pero también hay otros no tan populares, como Azrael. Es por eso que en éste cómic conoceremos cómo es el proceso por el cual nace el ángel vengador llamado Azrael, y así quizás ya sepas un poquito más de él.

La historia parte cuando el "primer" o "antiguo" Azrael, busca ajusticiar a un hombre que debe pagar sus delitos con la muerte, es por eso que el ángel
Nicolo Yu
Nov 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Komikon 2011 special

I bought this at Komikon 2011 from the Comic Odyssey booth, who had an impressive array of back issues and trades on hand available at a very tempting discount. My hardcover purchases and the commissioned sketches and original art was what broke my bank at the event.

I picked this out from a pile of discount trades not knowing that this was signed copy. I bought it at a discounted price of four hundred pesos thinking it was a worthy price for a title with Joe Quesada art. I
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent story about a clash of ideals between an iconic legend (Batman) and Azrael, the Angel of Death. This story was very action packed and not as wordy as I would've liked, but full of many memorable moments. The insinuations towards ancient secret societies give this story a real world gravitas and if you like action, beautiful artwork, and a great character driven story, then read this. The chemistry between Batman, Alfred, and Azrael was pretty tight. Dennis O' Neal really loves these ch ...more
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batmanosos
Recommended to Feather by: Que seguía la colección.
Una buena introducción para un personaje que a veces es muy interesante. Tanto guión como dibujo flaquean por momentos pero conforman un resultado digno. Cuando lo relea seguro lo rerreseñe.
Cesar Millán
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A really good comic in the making of the Batman Mythology and all of there characters. The inception of Azrael opens up a new world where bats fight against a villain ancient as the Templars from the Cruzade times. If you want to understand in a deep and more complete level the great world of Batman this is one of the stories that you have to read.
K. B
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, batman
Even though the art was excellent and all, I felt it was a little meh! I can't put the finger on it. Maybe the story of Jean-Paul was just too much too long. Or perhaps it was only how it was displayed? I don't know. But the art was good enough to keep me going. And how I had to drag myself to finish it.
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, dc-comics
I'm finally getting around to reading the Knightfall saga. I'd read the novelized version last year, but was a little put off by the writing and didn't know if I'd enjoy the comics since I didn't enjoy the novel that much (and the comics and novel share the same writer). However, just as I speculated in my review of the novel, Dennis O’Neil is a much better comic writer than novelist.

This book is a prelude to the Knightfall story. We're introduced to Jean Paul Valley who has just found out that
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
The grim and gritty 1990s brought us this odd gem from Denny O'Neil and Joe Quesada. The four-part Sword of Azrael arc introduces the DC universe to the Order of St. Dumas. When their latest assassin fails to take out his target, the man crawls to the doorstep of his collegiate son. With his dying breath, the killer sends his son on a quest to activate the mental conditioning called the System, and become the newest avenging Angel known as Azrael. While I enjoyed Quesada's pencilwork - and his o ...more
Alp Turgut
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
"Knightfall" için fazlasıyla önem teşkil eden Azrael karakterini okuyucuyla tanıştıran "Batman: Sword of Azrael", Ölüm Meleği gibi metafizik öğeleri Batman efsanesine uydurmaya çalışan aceleye gelmiş bir çizgi roman. Üzerinde fazla düşünülmediği açıkça görülen hikaye örgüsüne ve takip etmesi zor diyaloglarına rağmen okuyucuya renkli ve hoş vakit geçirtmesini bilen eserin Batman efsanesine yaptığı katkı ise tartışılır. Batman/Bruce Wayne'in nedense Clint Eastwood gibi çizildiği çizgi romandaki Al ...more
May 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic
Sword of Azrael was an ok story in and of itself, but it has not aged well. It felt, for lack of a better term, like a comic from the early 90s... which is exactly what it is. The story feels dated, capitalizing on the 'cool' stuff of 20 years ago. The dialog is stilted (and not in a good way); it didn't really impress me. For example the exposition and transition from monolog to dialog was mostly nonsensical. There was actually a moment where a character called out another character for this ec ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
THE COLORS! Wow, the colors. I have not seen such bright, exciting coloring since Batwoman new 52. The coloring is fantastic. The layout is also superb...I love seeing panels go longways across two pages, and often the panels are framed in a face or pattern. It's beautiful to look at.

I love Azrael - he's an interesting but underused character in the DC universe. THis is a fun volume with a solid backstory and continuation after Knightfall. If you've read Knightfall you might get more out of it.
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
An interesting bit of Bat-history I picked up for cheap at a bookstore in Denver. A pretty unbelievable creative team happened to find itself on this book, but it's unfortunate their combined talent was funneled into the least interesting part of the massive Knightfall crossover that changed Bat-comics forever in the early 90's (at least until they got changed forever again in the late 90's).

As it stands this is mainly an extended commercial for the upcoming event, and despite its above-average
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
THE SWORD OF AZRAEL really plays out more as an unintended prequel to the events of Batman's KNIGHTFALL, and it's a far superior work of art. Jean-Paul Valley is troubled by his inability to master the control over his superhero impulses to become an avenging angel, until Bruce Wayne enters his life. This four-issue collected trade paperback is a must for any serious fan of the Bat, and, even today, stands as an example of one of the best works of Batfiction available. (As well, there was a BBC ...more
Nov 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like mythos being messed with
As this story came out before Batman's was famously broken in 1993, this was something of a foreshadowing of events to come in the life of Bruce Wayne and introduced his would-be successor. Probably better than the actual storyline of Bats being broken and returning (I've only ever gotten partway through that tale, knowing he would come back eventually does take some air out of that particular balloon after all), Sword of Azrael is a great read full of the blend of action and characterization th ...more
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ceritanya mudah, tak berbelit, dan terpenting untuk sebuah novel grafik ialah Joe Quesada dan Kevin Nowlan mengemudi ilustrasi, gandingan terbaik untuk genre aksi. Ada suntikan mistik namun ia masih accessible untuk pembaca kasual. Walaupun di dalam cerita ini Batman ada, tetapi dia bukan fokus utama, siri mini ini mengutamakan asal usul watak baru iaitu Azrael. Azrael semacam watak vigilante sebuah kultus purba yang ada terkait hal kepercayaan kepada malaikat. Sesuai untuk penggemar genre aksi.
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bd, superheros, batman
Ce tome des aventures de Batman nous introduit à un nouveau personnage qui se nomme Azrael. Malgré ses buts nobles, ses actions sont beaucoup plus répréhensible. Il aura comme mission de sauver Bruce Wayne qui a été kidnappé par un criminel nommé Biis.

L'histoire n'est pas mauvaise mais aurait pu être mieux. Ce que j,ai aimé le plus c'est au niveau des dessins. Ils sont très beau et la couleur est géniale. Cette BD peut être très utile à lire si on veut s'embarquer dans la série de Knigtfall.
Bryson McCheeseburger
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this buried in a box of Legends of the Dark Knight comics and I didn't remember reading it. I grabbed it and was really surprised by the story. It's an older, darker, cooler story than a lot of the other fluff I have read lately in the name of Batman. I really liked it. I wish there were more, wish it was longer and wish the character of Azrael would keep going (does it?). I liked how there actually wasn't so much Batman and the typical villains, but a cool story with new characters. Wor ...more
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to read Knightfall.
Shelves: comics
Eh. While this an important book to read before Knightfall, it wasn't all that great, although it does have some great Bruce-and-Alfred moments and other bits with good characterization. (The third star is for the burrito scene alone.) It's possible I'd have liked this one better if I hadn't listened to the Knightfall audio book before, because huge parts of this story are covered in that one as well.
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
OK, but not great. The bad guy was kind of ridiculous, especially when he was wearing Batman's suit. Batman's costume must be really stretchy to fit that fat guy. I didn't understand where they got the second Azrael costume from either. I guess it was just lying around somewhere. It ends a little abruptly too.
Dec 26, 2011 rated it did not like it
Un enemigo demasiado tópico con múltiples referencias a antiguas religiones y sectas hace de este uno de los peores cómics de Batman en el que el propio Batman sale bien poco. No me gustó cuando lo leí hace años, pero ahora me ha gustado menos.
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Claudia Green
May 05, 2016 rated it liked it

The first Azrael's apparition, a character who later in the 90's had a big role in an iconic period for Batman. Good story, full of action, maybe the outcome and end it's just too fast, and well the art it's a little chaotic for me. But what can I say... I'd never been a Joe Quesada's fan.
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
Marred by simplistic dialogue and a dull plot, this one should be avoided at all costs. Denny O'Neil wrote some great Batman stories in the 1970's, but anything he wrote after that decade is best left unread.
Varoujan Tanielian
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People Who Like Detective Storys
Recommended to Varoujan by: No One
Goooooooooooood Goooood - The Emperor
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed, 2013
Really not very good. Clearly existed only to set up future Batman family hijinks, not special on its own.
Dony Grayman
Primer coleccionable de Batman de Planeta, tomo 8 de 40.
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
just loved this azrael !!!!!!!
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Not all that great. Nomoz the troll steals the show.
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Actual 3.5
Jul 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
Incoherency posing as deep mysticism. Just a weird ass title that I am already thankfully forgetting.
  • Batman: Contagion
  • Batman vs. Predator
  • Batman: Man-Bat
  • Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight
  • Showcase Presents: Batman, Vol. 1
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1