Start by marking “Batman: Face the Face” as Want to Read:
Batman: Face the Face

Batman: Face the Face (Batman)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  4,364 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
SC, TPB, in cello, New, Written by James Robinson. Art by Leonard Kirk, Don Kramer and Patrick Gleason. Cover by Simone Bianchi. Published in September of 2006, Softcover, 192 pages, full color. Cover price $14.99.
Published September 6th 2006 by DC Comics (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great Batman story that starts off and finishes strong.
Garrett
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is from the One Year Later event and takes place in between "Under the Red Hood" and "Batman & Son". I appreciated the art, but the story felt just like a run of the mill Two Face Story. It's not The Long Halloween or Jekyll and Hyde, and this book just feels kind of like an excuse to bring Two-Face back to being "normal". Overall it was ok, not great.
Danielle
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.

What would happen if Batman, Robin and Nightwing left Gotham for a year?

Batman: Face The Face follows a time in Gotham when Batman and Robin have just returned from an extended leave of absence. Surprisingly, crime has been decreasing in the year that the masked duo were away, with a mysterious masked bandit taking up the mantle as protector of Gotham.

I found the story easy to follow with enough plot twists that it did not become predictable. There was an int
Justyn Rampa
Jan 30, 2011 rated it liked it
I was interested in reading this volume because it ends with the last issue of Batman before Grant Morrison begins his (mostly) AMAZING run on Batman.

This volume collects the issues that tell the events after the One Year Later storyline.

As you can guess by the title, the storyline does involved Two-Face as Batman left a reformed Harvey Dent in charge as Gotham City's crime-fighting vigilante. His face has been healed, but is Two-Face really gone? Well, you'll have to read to find out.

The story
Derek Royal
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Robinson's narrative on Batman, after his year off from Gotham, is finely written. The focus on Two Face bound everything together, and I particularly liked the somewhat open-ended conclusion.
Madeleine
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, graphic-novel
This could have easily been 4/5 if James Robinson didn't find it necessary to derail the tone and impact of the story by randomly injecting jokes and puns that feel as if they were taken from the scripts of the 60s Batman TV series.
Batman returns to Gotham a year after Infinite Crisis, a year after leaving a cured Harvey Dent in charge of fighting crime and keeping Gotham safe only to discover that Harvey Dent might not be as cured as he thought - that Dent may be responsible for the recent mur
Sam Quixote
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Batman and Robin return to Gotham after a year away and relieve their stand-in protector: a reformed Harvey Dent! But after a series of low-level criminals are knocked off in suspicious circumstances, has Two-Face also come back?

I think this one follows DC’s 52 series from roughly 10 years ago where the majority of superheroes disappeared for 12 months and street-level characters took over. Face the Face is a very dull, standard Batman story that’s essentially just about hitting the reset button
Samdenney
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Two-Face, fans of Batman's detective skills
Recommended to Samdenney by: Nobody. Picked it up practically at random.
Julie
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Robin (specifically Tim Drake and Dick Grayson), so I relish the rare moments when a writer has the courage to write a modern day dynamic duo story.

This story takes place a year after Infinite Crisis and we see Batman try to rebuild the bridges he has burnt in the past. In terms of the plot, it is definitely one of those stories that focuses more on character development than action. The villains aren't exactly all that exciting nor are we really made to sympathize all that m
Trent
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story. The artwork wasn't my cup of tea, though. I don't know what it was about it, but it just seemed... rushed.. to me. I like Batman stories that include Robin. I know a lot of people like The Batman to work alone, as he's more tragic and dark that way. I say Robin's been around just one year less than Batman, so they should get over it. There's a lot of villains in this story, which is always a good surprise. With the title of the book, one can guess who the story is going to be ...more
Steven Shinder
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel begins with Batman and Robin (Tim Drake) returning to Gotham after being absent for a year. Over the course of the comic book, you see Batman's relationship with Commissioner Gordon, Tim Drake, and Harvey Dent. Dent is a suspect in the murders of a few villains and is on the edge of relapsing back into his Two-Face habits. A great read, though there were a couple of parts that compelled me to shake my head. At one point, Dent's dialog sounded British (use of the words "rubbish ...more
Michael
Passable Batman tale but considering this is James Robinson writing I would really expect better. The whole Harvey Dent plot line really didn't go anywhere unexpected. Most of it seemed to be there just to give the artist a chance to experiment with fractured and reflective visuals. It all looked very nice but again this was nothing new. When you've seen Spider-man 1 as many times as I have you can't really be impressed by split personalities talking to their mirrors. There were glimpses of the ...more
Ashley
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Surprisingly, for me, this is the first full-length Batman graphic novel I've ever read. The premise of Harvey Dent being Gotham's protector and then becoming Two-Face again was interesting but it felt a little underdeveloped and rushed, especially the conclusion. I really enjoyed seeing Tim Drake as Robin too and Jim Gordon was great. The artwork was good too but there were far too many unexplained things in it for my liking. From what I'm aware there are far better Batman graphic novels out th ...more
Ming Siu
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
James Robinson is a dependable writer, which is always appreciated, and he delivers solid work here. The art is above average as well, and conveys mood and style well while telling the story in a compelling manner.

My only complaint is that this is an absolutely horrible physical treatment of a good story. Not only is it out of print, and therefore harder and pricier to track down, the paper feels like toilet paper, and the colours suffer as a result. It really deserves a proper hardcover treatme
miaaa
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to miaaa by: Wirotomo Nofamilyname
Confusing. So Tim is the third Robin eh, what happened to the first two Robins? I know Dick but who's the second one? Harvey Dent took care Gotham City as requested by Batman?

This is what happened when you read Batman series in mixed order. But hey it's better than not reading it at all isn't it hehe

Mas Tomo matur suwon sing akeh yo, aku tunggu pinjaman Batman berikut-berikutnya :D
Dean Olson
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, owned-comics
This annoyed me when it came out cause it just seemed like they wanted to reboot Batman back to "classic" Batman. Gordon is back as Commissioner, Dent becomes Two-Face again. and Poison Ivy is somehow alive again. The story is okay. Its a shame that Dent appeared cured in Hush and then never appeared again until this. Where was the character arc in between?
Benjamin Featherston
This collection features exceptional cover and interior art and a solid, if somewhat forgettable, story. Set in the aftermath of Batman's "missing year" during which the "52" series occurred, it's not the best starting point for casual readers, as it requires a familiarity with Batman's recent history and his more esoteric villains.
Mike
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Batman and Robin return, with lots of mysteries from their absence. Harvey Dent has protected Gotham in his absence, and is Two-Face no more, but will suspicion of murder and the return of the Bat break him again?
Josh Liller
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Koen
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, wow.. THIS is what Batman is all about! The mystery, the detective work,.. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time!!
Truly a masterpiece according to me.. A must read for every Bat fan!!
Cassandra Tellez
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Batman was such a douche in this issue. Granted, it didn't take much to push Harvey Dent back to the dark side but Batman could have had more faith in him. -_-
Vassilios Bayiokos
Mar 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Very good story with the One Year jump after Infinite Crisis. James Robinson is better suited for the Golden Age heroes than with batman. However, I did enjoy this very much.
Sean
Sep 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Good Read. Introduces the reader to a lot of interesting characters. Fairly straight forward story line.
Aaron
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Pretty forgettable story not helped by the "One Year Later" jump DC incorporated into every story released at this time.
Ryan Witalison
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Batman's back after a year away, Harvey Dent is suspected of returning to a life of crime after several murders, including several members of Batman's Rogue gallery
Nicademus
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was a good book 2 read because it talks about one of batmans greatest foes. Also the relationship they had.
Michael
May 28, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2008
I had a major problem with the premise of the book... I thought some of the lines didn't ring true... and there were places where I thought the art was a bit iffy.
sixthreezy
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: swon-2012, batman, dc
Really liked this one for some reason.. I think it was the dark tone of the artwork, and I especially love the ending because Batman adopts Robin as his baby boy. AWWWWWWWWWWWW =]
Justin
Dec 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Decent story. Like another reader, I'll note that I had problems with the binding on the book.
Gary Lee
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Granted, I'm not too well-read on Batman (or much DC stuff at all), but I thought this was a pretty solid read; at least, on a plane.
  • Batman: War Games, Act 1: Outbreak
  • Batman: Contagion
  • Batman: Strange Apparitions
  • Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul
  • Batman: Broken City
James Robinson is a British writer, best known for his work in comic books and screenplays. He is well-known for his encyclopedic knowledge of comic book continuity, especially regarding the Golden Age of comic books. His earliest comic book work came in the late 1980s, but he became best known for his revitalization of the character Starman for DC comics in the 1990s. In addition, he has written ...more
More about James Robinson...

Batman (1 - 10 of 367 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1