Start by marking “The Angels Are Here (Paradox, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Angels Are Here (Paradox, #1)

The Angels Are Here

(Paradox #1)

Two mysterious strangers arrive just in time to help a little girl, Grace Connors, as she struggles to cope with the death of her father. But are the intentions of these strangers as innocent as they seem, or is there something else on their agenda?

Meanwhile, in an a faraway Realm, a race of fallen Angels clash with a ruling house of Angels. Their battle changes events in
Published October 18th 2010 by Patti Roberts, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about The Angels Are Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angels Are Here

Start your review of The Angels Are Here (Paradox, #1)
Jayde Scott
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
Having read Paradox - The Angels Are Here, I feel I've been left with a different world view on angels, heaven and spirituality. There is no easy way to sum up the plot, so I shall just say that the story focuses on two elements: one being the war between the different angel houses and how they interact with humans. Some are good, others are evil, and so they fight each other in their quests to become the stronger house. The second part focuses on Grace, a little girl who's gone through a lot in ...more
Jessika Beaty
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Paradox: The Angels are Here Review

Just a day ago, I entered the wonderfully, dark, enchanting world of Patti Roberts, Paradox: The Angels are Here. For three hours, from the first page to the end, the book felt real and I felt like I had actually left earth and entered the world of the ancients. For anyone who wants a very different story, Patti Roberts, definitely will not disappoint, that is if you have an open mind.

The first book was definitely a whirlwind of adventure. From the opening
Kat (Why Read)
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-reader, arc
I've should have done my homework first!

I was requested to review this book and give a honest review. I noticed it was only a little over one hundred pages, so I figured this will be a quick and fun read.

Ummm, about fifty pages in, I was so utterly confused. There were beings with mystical powers, Angels(??) I think, humans, previous incarnation flashbacks. All seemingly interesting but not composed systematically. I found myself questioning my motivation to finish this book. I had no idea how
Natalie Valdes
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
After reading dozens of Angel based books, I cannot recall a time when I said, hey- I like this. Well, surprisingly, I loved this. This book is up there on my list of favorites. First of all, the writing was excellent, I was literally flabbergasted and felt inferior in anything I've ever written. There's no slow parts, just a mind-blowing of information you devour with willingness. I don't know too much about Angel history, but it sounds like research was done and I'm going to take Roberts word ...more
Christie Rich
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I absolutely hate to give this low of a rating to a book. I thought I would really enjoy Paradox because I love Angel stories, but I couldn't make sense of what was really happening throughout the entire book. I have a feeling that Grace will play a major role in the battle between good and evil, but I can't really be sure of anything. There were just too many changes in point of view that left me feeling confused. The timelines were also confusing for me. This had a feeling of high fantasy ...more
Natalie
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The definition of Paradox:

A seemingly illogical or self-contradictory statement or suggestion, that may, in fact, be very true.

As the book opens we are introduced to Abaddon, a handsome man with yellowish eyes, and an extremelly cruel soul and blood that bleeds black, as do all the Grigorians in his family. Siena, his cousin and Theria, his sister. Now we have not yet met his brother Cerebrus who is High Ruler, but he is mentioned quite a bit as Abaddon loathes him and wants everything that is
Katy
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in angels, fans of urban fantasy
Recommended to Katy by: Patti Roberts
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I read this book in July 2011 from a copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warning: Sad cat moment!

My Synopsis: Juliette has been around since the world was young – she saw the rise of civilization, and the fall when, after the Great War, so much knowledge was lost. She is here to tell a story – sshhh – let’s listen in.

The story begins in the early 12th century on the planet Altair – which is in the Aquila Constellation – and in the Imperial City of
Natshane
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
My first giveaway book and I do not regret a second of it.
Patti Roberts had introduced me to a fascinating world of angels and Wafe (read the book XD) so I would have to say I'm particularly interested in reading more of this 'beings'. As the story is mostly narrated from a third person's Point of view, it centered mostly around an 8 year old child, Grace who had lost her dad in an accident.

Grace has become of my favourite character as I read about how matured she was, she showed strength in
Keren Hughes
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, to-review
I thought that Paradox: The Angels Are Here was a terrific book. Fast-paced and easy to read, it only took me hours to get from start to finish.
Within the pages of this book, there are 2 worlds. One ancient and one new.
The intricate way in which the author has created and connected these two worlds is beautiful.

I find myself at a loss for words with which to describe the story within these pages. I don't want to give too much away really, it would be a shame to give too much away. Plus, I feel
Cambria
Published by Patti Roberts via Smashwords 2011
Genre: paranormal
ISBN: 0011154802

The definition of Paradox:
There’s something different about Grace’s life…but she doesn’t know it. For some reason she can’t ever make a friend and the only one she does manage to make is someone she has to keep secret. Why? Because she is an angel
The Reading List (Megan)
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal fantasy, angels, vampires,

Paradox: The Angels are Here, is the first book in the Paradox series by up and coming author, Patti Roberts. In her first book in this series Roberts does a great job of exploring the premise that not all angels are intrinsically good.

When the book begins the two Houses of the Imperial City--the house of Grigorians, led by Cerebrus and the House of the Bulguardians--are in the middle of a war. You get the feeling that the Grigorians are the “bad guys,” (the evil angels), within the first
Alicia Marie
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I thought I would very much enjoy Paradox since I knew it involved angels and good vs. evil which I usually find very interesting. This book was different than what I expected. The jumping between the different time periods and stories involving Abaddon and his family in their time and Grace 900 years later as well as the visions I'm assuming are had by Grace, left me confused a few times.

The story starts with Juliette who lived 900 years ago and she tells us of how everything has changed
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Thanks for Patti Roberts allowing me the chance to read her book. I normally would be SO against the idea of quoting the blurb in my review... but in the end, there was just too much going on and too many questions for me to even explain to someone in my own words what "happened".

"A journey crossing Two Worlds. One Ancient - One New."

Okay- to expand upon this, there is the "ancient" story that lays the "good vs. evil" groundwork and starts to explain about this very novel concept of angels.

"How
Alaiel Kreuz
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
First of all, let me start with the first quote of the book:

"The Definition of Paradox:
A seemingly illogical or self-contradictory statement
or suggestion, that may in fact, be very true."

This is a story that, if you have suffer the lost of a dear one, you will relate with Grace, a little girl, the main character, when she has to deal with a great loss.
And maybe, just maybe, you will relate with her in this: she has an imaginary friend, Hope, a little girl like her that accompanies Grace so she
Rayven
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
The world of Angels in which Patti Roberts creates is one of greed, power, sex, control with a bit of conspiracy theory which lays the ground work for the war between good and evil. But who is good and who is evil remains to be seen. Her world of Angels is multi-faceted and for a brief moment I was immersed into their world and presented with very complex and twisted characters and I found myself wanting more. The author has truly created a villain worth reading, he is dark and so very bad that ...more
Tara
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has two aspects to the story – one focusing on Angels in their own dimension, and the other focusing on the events down here on Earth, and especially those events pertinent to a young girl named Grace, who is clearly important to the angels, though this book doesn’t give away how.

Grace’s story is very moving – a young girl whose world is changing, especially when her father, whom she idolizes, dies in an accident. One thing that I noticed about this is that the grief Grace feels is
Kristin  Aragon
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
What do I like second to all things Vampire...all things Angel. Bad or Good. I think we all have one of each residing on our shoulders. Don't you?

Patti Roberts has written a stunning and shocking novella that delves into the age old question of what awaits us after we die. Or more importantly, what guides the events that spins the world. Paradox provides a unique view of Angels and those they protect?!?! As always...let's take a look at these captivating beings:

Abbadon - is an important player
Annie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, to-review
Paradox: The Angels Are Here (Paradox #1) by Patti Roberts

Oh my goodness. The imagery on the first page alone made me want to drop everything I was doing (homework, laundry, dishes, homework, sleep, homework) just to read this immediately! It is a beginning unlike any I have read, and I was immediately drawn in. “A time when magic existed and myths, legends and the gods roamed the planets and walked freely among us.” Oh sigh. To be in those times.

After discovering the mighty characters, you
Julie
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked Paradox. I was torn between 4 and 5 stars, in the end, I decided the quite original plot was worth five stars. The plot is new, it's different, it's something that hasn't been done before. Good angels vs evil angels. I read a lot of paranormal literature, so the paranormal elements were already a plus point. Combine that with the element of the angel houses fighting one another over power and mortals, and it truly made for a great read with a good twist. I found the idea very ...more
Katie
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fantasy
The world that Patti creates is unbelievable and I can’t wait for more when Progeny of Innocence is released. The Angels Are Here isn’t long enough to quench my thirst from this story. Another great aspect is that it is set in Australia, nothing like a home grown book.

Grace is a child that has the perfect family and has an ability to see Angels. She goes to ballet lessons one day under protest and in her reflection of the car window sees another child looking back. Hope is her savior and allows
Sheilagh Lee
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Is an intricately woven tale with both myths and legendary creatures as evil angels. Grace seems like an ordinary human girl but if that is so why is a good angel watching over her that only Grace can see. The good angel is protecting her hiding her from the evil angels who would kill her and devour her. We come to know all about the child Grace. Without giving anything a way we can see Grace’s lives challenges as a child and how they will shape the woman she will become. We don’t know quite why ...more
Miss Reviewer
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up based on a recommendation and am glad I did. Roberts knows how to spin a good tale that appeals to our deepest emotions and makes us wonder what may be hidden behind the portal to our world.
A well written and emotional tale, Paradox: The Angels are here tells the story of Grace, a girl with a huge secret. Sent into this world, she has a purpose, a mission to fulfil. Behind her, the dark houses of angels are plotting, waiting to take over the world and the people inhabiting it.
Collette Scott
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I suggested this book to my daughter, and she picked it up eagerly. When she finished the book, I asked her what she thought and she was fairly candid with her answers. I promised her that I would put them down for her:

She said that the beginning was a little strange, but once she got into the story she really enjoyed it. She said that the writing was good and the plot entertaining. She enjoyed the characters and thought they were developed nicely. She said it was imaginative and a great way to
Mary Ting
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Paradox - The Angels Are Here is no love story, but a story that will grip your heart. I was admittedly drawn to Grace as her world turned upside down by the sudden death of her father. I was deeply moved by this book and I felt every emotion Grace felt.

Patty does a fantastic job building her characters, description and setting. It’s a unique angel story that is beautifully written. I will be eagerly waiting for the sequel. If you love fantasy stories, this story is for you.
Nellee
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review from my blog: http://nelleehorne.blogspot.com/

OMG...I'm was completely floored at how wonderfully well written this book was. The best "hook" I've read in any book. The story-line is so original! I loved it. That's all I have to say :)

Cons: It ended too early and that teaser in the back...I will not, I repeat, WILL NOT, CAN NOT wait for the sequel!!!!

5 Stars!
Kelly/yllektra
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
3 1/2 Stars

I started reading this some while ago but somehow I got interrupted a few times due to some real life issues and got back to it after a long time indeed.
I have to say that it was a very well-written book in the sense that it did not contain any very distracting typos or anything like that and Ms Roberts certainly has a way with words.

Her world building felt very exciting and "complete", exactly because she was able to paint quite a detailed picture with her intricate and elaborate
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
The premise and the concept of this novel was one that I was really intrigued by and one that I was actually really looking forward to reading, therefore it is with sadness that I write this review. While others have loved, and I expect will love, this novel, it simply was not the right read for me. Personally I found it just too difficult to fully become attached to the story and just could not get myself invested in the story that was being told to me. This was unfortunate as I really did want ...more
Lainy
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Blurb From Goodreads

Nine hundred years ago, I died...

A little girl's world is turned upside down by a visitor,the Angel of Death. She finds herself trapped in a nightmare, consumed by her paralyzing loss and overwhelming grief. The haunting visions and untimely deaths of others are a constant reminder that life and death are only a heartbeat away.

A journey crossing Two Worlds. One Ancient - One New.

How do the heartbreaking visions experienced by a little girl fit into this Ancient World of
Ella Medler
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
‘A world where there are more questions than answers’ – Patti Roberts writes. A warning to her readers. Or it may be a challenge, a test.
Book one of the Paradox Series, ‘The Angels Are Here’ is an introduction to a world where mortals and supernatural beings coexist, some consciously aware of each other, and most – completely oblivious.
Soon after the opening scene of death and destruction in Altair, the Imperial City, we are introduced to a special child, Grace. Though she is very young – only
Amy Eye
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm not really sure where to begin with this review. I have been thinking about it for a while. I have seen the trailer for this book, and it is beautiful. The synopsis for the book is just as captivating. The cover - very attractive.

The story itself? Not what I had imagined. The problem is, I'm having a hard time trying to come up with the point of the book. I am aware, by the ending of the book, that this is the first in a series. But there wasn't even an end to this book.

In this book, we
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Andromeda Rising (Blood on the Stars: Andromeda Chronicles, #1)
  • Wings of Pegasus (Blood on the Stars: Andromeda Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragontiarna: Knights
  • Lucky Bastard: Lucky's Marines | Book Eight
  • Lucky's Marines: Book 1-4 Complete Mission Pack
  • Rise Of Mankind: The Complete Series Books 1-10
  • Refuge (Exile Book 2)
  • Fury: A Near Future Thriller (Forsaken Mercenary Book 3)
  • Dark Earth
  • Daybreak
  • The Lost Starship: Books 1-3 Complete Saga: Elixr - Redeemr - Destroyr
  • The Siren's Apprentice (Sirena's Children, #2)
  • The Ocean's Call (Sirena's Children, #1)
  • Absolution: A Near Future Thriller (Forsaken Mercenary Book 2)
  • Sword of Mars (Starship's Mage, #7)
  • Day's Hunt
  • Dropship: A Near Future Thriller (Forsaken Mercenary Book 1)
  • Genesis (Legends Online, #1)
PATTI ROBERTS was born in Brisbane Australia but soon moved to Darwin in the Northern Territory. Her son Luke was born in 1980. Her son and grandsons are the leading men in Patti's life. She currently lives in Cairns, Queensland, where she is writing the Paradox Series of books. Since then, Patti has commenced writing the Witchwood Estate series, and a contemporary romance, About Three Authors – ...more

Paradox (5 books)
  • Progeny of Innocence (Paradox, #2)
  • Bound By Blood (Paradox, #3)
  • Equilibrium (Paradox, #4)
  • Paradox - Elemental (Paradox #5)
“Sometimes, the only soul that can mend a broken heart is the one that broke it. For they are the ones holding all the pieces.” 287 likes
“Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.” 73 likes